Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Collard Greens - Washing, Cooking, Eating, Freezing and some healthy "Likker": "Pot Likker"

Communities > Forums > Article: Collard Greens - Washing, Cooking, Eating, Freezing and some healthy "Likker"
bookmark
Forum: Article: Collard Greens - Washing, Cooking, Eating, Freezing and some healthy "Likker"Replies: 1, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lnorris
Gallion, AL

October 9, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #7151101

There is nothing greater than "pot likker" from turnip, collard, mustard greens also pinto, peas---field, blackeye, crowder, when you add real southern cornbread to the "likker", and sometimes a touch of hot sauce, pepper sauce, or sweet relish---whatever your taste is for the day. I learned about the "likker" and the extra flavors as a child also---never liked the greens so grandmother made it special with a doctoring of the "likker" and just a small amount of greens that accidently fell in the bowl. The pinto and peas were treated the same by a wise grandmother. I still only eat the accidently greens in the bowl but pintos and peas I have added to my favorites over the years. I did the same with my nieces and nephew and as they grew they also added some of the vegetable to their diet but the "likker" and cornbread probably will never change for any of us.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #7151493

Wonderful info - thanks so much for sharing !!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Collard Greens - Washing, Cooking, Eating, Freezing and some healthy "Likker" Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Info! jadajoy 50 Jan 4, 2011 3:52 PM
greens are so nice ARWadoo 2 Oct 14, 2009 3:26 PM
Other uses for smallplot 0 Oct 12, 2009 3:29 PM
Collard Greens joy112854 2 Oct 17, 2009 1:53 AM
just tried some... Sundownr 1 Oct 14, 2009 9:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America