Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Milkweeds: which one's for your garden?: Thanks for milkweed info

Communities > Forums > Article: Milkweeds: which one's for your garden?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Milkweeds: which one's for your garden?Replies: 9, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7154606

I have asclepias Incarnata -- which is new to my garden. A fellow dg'r gave me the plant from seed she had germinated. I was not aware that it needed very wet soil which is pretty hard to come by in my garden, but I did plant it in the spot that gets more water than most. It seems fine, but this is its first year and it is still pretty small. Hopefully it will grow more next year.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #7158451

Good luck--it may be ok. I am in my second year of some of the same. They did grow much bigger this year--but never bloomed. I don't know why.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #7158925

Thanks for the info. I do know people who grow them in Denver which is pretty much like my area. Maybe it takes them a while to get to be blooming size.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2009
10:32 AM

Post #7160395

Hi, Sally, It's always good to see an informative article about milkweeds and butterfly gardening. Thanks so much! Growing milkweeds in our garden has added a fascinating dimension to our garden enjoyment!

Just wanted to add a couple of extra notes for butterfly garden enthusiasts:

Milkweeds, particularly A. tuberosa in our garden, are especially popular 'nectar plants' for butterflies other than monarchs, so if you enjoy attracting a range of lepidoptera (swallowtails, sulphurs, fritillaries, etc.) to your garden, a little patch of Asclepias tuberosa is invaluable.

Some A. incarnata ('swamp milkweed') have become more acclimated to drier conditions, although most like some regular watering at least. If you find specimen seeds from plants growing in a dry-ish habitat you might have better luck with getting those to grow in non-wettish environments. They are nice plants for the garden and also for casual bouquets.

Some Asclepias, particularly A. curassavica (tropical/mexican), can be started easily from cuttings. Often times gardeners will buy one plant at the nursery and then stock their butterfly garden through the summer by taking cuttings. And since A. curassavica are 'tropical' plants, often moist/cold treatment for seed sowing isn't needed.

And more milkweed/monarch info can be found here: http://www.monarchwatch.org/milkweed/prop.htm

And of course much more info on Butterfly Gardening is on the DG Forum, too. Everyone is welcome to post their questions there : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/bbb/all/

t.
biskutmkr1947
Hubert, NC

October 12, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #7162490

I planted asclepias this year and was pleasantly surprised when I found that they were being eaten by monarch caterpillars. I watched them grow bigger each day as they ate every piece of leave they could find. When they got to be the correct size for chrysalis making, about two inches, they found places to attach themselves on my flowering plants and nearby trees. I wanted so much to see them break out of those chrysalis' and see the butterflies they had become but they must have done it when my back was turned. The butterflies are still around here because they have plenty to eat in my yard but they will probably be gone soon on their way to Mexico. I am going to plant much more milkweed next year. The leaves on my existing plants were eaten down to nothing but have since grown back into full plants. I can't wait until next year to see how many Monarch caterpillars I will have. They will be welcome again in my yard. I live in Hubert, North Carolina about 70 miles northeast of Wilmington, NC.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 13, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #7163068

One late summer day, when I was a little girl, the wild cherry tree at the end of our lane, all at once lost thousands of colorful leaves. Then I realiazed they were not leaves, they were monarch butterflies and they were not falling from the tree but from the sky. They all rested for a while and then the wind picked up, and off they went again! I found out later they were migrating like a birds all together, isn't that like science fiction or something! I found out later that they do migrate All the way to Mexico.

AND I saw a migration, just once in my life time, forty years ago. I had no one around to share this with at that time, so I am sharing it with all of you.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 8:09 PM

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 8:17 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #7163414

tabaso, thanks for your aded information! You obviously know your milkweeds!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #7165878

LOL, well I have been trying to grow several different kinds for the monarchs, with good and bad results! I just want everyone to add some milkweeds to their gardens, it makes the garden so much more fun and interesting (and alive!).

Interesting, Liquidambar, about seeing the Monarch 'roost' 40 years ago. I wonder, was it near Mount Vernon, KY? I have been looking at the Monarch migration 'roost' map for 2009 trying to figure out if there was a certain path (through our region) that they take to Mexico.

Here's the map for this year (two reported 'roosts' in KY): http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/monarch_f09_roosts.html

DianeEG
Galva, IL

October 13, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #7166034

We had a "flock" roost, one evening about five years ago, in our big old walnut tree. I, too, wondered what was wrong with the leaves until I got close. Simply covered in orange. It's one of the huge thrills of nature. Another time my husband and I were taking a Sunday drive on an narrow old country road with lots of hedge row trees. At the bottom of a hill a huge mass of Monarchs lifted and continued to drift over and around the car. Needless to say, we stopped until the show had moved on but it was awesome.

Thumbnail by DianeEG
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 14, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #7166344

tabasco;
Thanks for the link to the map. I enjoyed it. They do migrate right over us. BUT I have only seen it one time, how sad. BUT I HAVE SEEN ONE!!!! HOW GLAD.
Thanks again for a peek at the migration map.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Milkweeds: which one's for your garden? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
So Much to learn about Milkweed GardenDetectives 7 Oct 18, 2009 6:30 AM
Houston Mildweed LeslieT 2 Oct 13, 2009 2:56 AM
Aphids on asclepias polsnickerty 4 Oct 13, 2009 6:29 PM
Common milkweed: pinch back and grow in RudysTreeFarm 4 Oct 27, 2009 8:35 PM
Non-seedpod producing Butterfly Weed Plant PeeOknee 4 Oct 13, 2009 6:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America