Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Grow plants that give glowing health: namaskar...

Communities > Forums > Article: Grow plants that give glowing health
bookmark
Forum: Article: Grow plants that give glowing healthReplies: 7, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pejiduta8
Denver, CO
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7157396

I have a few diabetic friends who regularly eat Momordica charantia, bitter melon (karela in Hindi or pahakkai in Tamil) because of the lowering effect it has on blood sugars.

My inlaws are from small villages in South India but lived many years in the north of the country. I find them to be a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the medicinal uses of various plants and foods. This is a huge topic but one worth exploring more, especially as local lore and plants disappear because of urbanization. I look forward to more articles on the subject.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 12, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #7159705

Low carb diets seems to be what is shaping up to be the cure for epilepsy, and inflammation diseases that are kawasaki's (inflammation of the blood vessels involving the heart, autism (yes it appears to be an inflammatory disease of the blood vessels in the brain as is alziheimers!
Many of the parents of epileptic/ autism children have turned to the easy to follow Atkins diet of only 15 carbs a day (apple has 20). OR a wheat protein (gluten) free and milk protein (cassein) free diets
John Hopkins Medical University is doing some very promising studies on the inflammation reducing properties of Turmeric and ginger.
Asprin is of course the best medicine that ever came from a plant, and it too is used as a treatment for these diseases, especially kawasakis.
Medical doctors offer few treatments.
As of last week (new report released) autistic children are now one percent of the population/ 1 out of 91 that is 1 out of 58 boys.
These homopathic treatments seem to be our only hope as a treatment for vasculitis.
It was a very good article, and so thanks for a very good brief tour of herbals.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 12, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #7162223

hmmm that is very interesting
does Anyone have low carb suggestions for non meat eaters? and does that mean no dairy? I was under the impression low fat yoghurt was good for you ...any ideas on that subject? There seems to be an epidemic of diabetes in our children here in Australia and a friend of ours (daughter is diabetic at 10) was told by the doctor that a certain type of soft drink is a big culprit in this.I think one of the best things we can do is teach our children to drink water.
low carb ideas for non meat eaters would be most appreciated please ...anyone?
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 12, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #7162447

Milk is high in carbs, and not acceptable, sorry. I had trouble with that one too, because of al the vitamin D. But the old Ketogenic diet - a diet that has been around since the 1930s and controls epilepsy had lots of cream on the memu..
So, cream and half and half are accepted even by those controlling epilepsy. You can use half a cup of half and half and fill up the rest of the cup with water. Yogurt is very good, but it is more important for it to be lite (reduced sugar, than the fat). Fat is good for you after all, it is the carbs that causes inflammation. Do you allow yourself eggs and fish, if so that is more than accepted.
Sorry about your friend's daughter, and if she is 10 it is not the soft drinks, it is her pancreas has failed, and I am truly sorry. That is called juvenile diabeties and it won't get better if she just loses a little weight.
I know this makes me sound like a granola,I hestiate to say this, you will think ---oh well here it is --It was the DPT shot that caused my son's epilepsy, because he had a stroke only six hours after his third DPTshot, after I complained that he had reacted to his second one with a very high fever and passing out.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 12, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #7162729

Thanks so much for your reply ... think the doctor mean't that the soft drink injured the pancreas, not sure though ...as I said there is a wave of young children suddenly becoming diabetics and having "old arteries" in young bodies, it's scary stuff.
Sorry to hear what happened to your son ...what can anyone say in the face of something like that.
I am old enough to remember a time when you never met a diabetic child and ADS was never heard of.
I am wondering if carbs are so awful why many long lived and healthy folk in many parts of the world have quite large quantities of starchy foods in their diets?
It's very confusing.
In our Country we are told to eat 2 serves of fruit and 5 serves of veggies for good health, it used to be 3 serves of fruit but they removed one (sugar?).
I suppose we could talk endlessly on this subject ...as the article says we can depend on mother nature to guide us and provide for us, perhaps it's because we mess with what she provides that we come unstuck .

Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 12, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #7162820

Yes, I suppose you could say we messed with what she provides.
What got messed with was the mitochondria (energy power houses of the cells)
The energy cycle in our bodies have two ways to convert energy, Carbs and Fats
The energy cycle that uses carbs has been damaged. The mitochondria can no longer use long chains of carbohydrates. Which causes inflammation. So now some of us have got to watch high glycemic vegetables like potatoes, white flour, sugar, or fruits and vegs that are high glycemic like of all things pineapple, and peaches, and even milk!
You did fine in saying what can you say to that! You reponded very generously, and I apprieciate it, because this is really suppose to be a fun sight! And it is!.
Thanks for talking

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

October 14, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #7167576

Thanks for our chat ...it is a wonderful place to connect with other people from all over the world and to learn so much.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7167962

Yes it is, Chrissy Century! The web has no bounds and DG is such a lovely place! Interesting discussion!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Grow plants that give glowing health Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
As always good information LouC 5 Oct 12, 2009 3:10 PM
good to see you in the writers' spot. gloria125 1 Oct 11, 2009 4:14 PM
Fact-checking Fail Mishal 5 Oct 16, 2009 2:19 AM
Very nice intro garden_mermaid 1 Oct 12, 2009 6:45 AM
Thank you! Kylaluaz 2 Oct 13, 2009 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America