Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Weather: October Weather Tricks & Treats Part 2

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 184, Views: 1,071
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 11, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #7158818

Almost 200 posts on old thread, so here we go!

43 turned out to be high today. At least we had some sun.
I got the strings up for the house, so next are the forms for footings.

We came from here;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1043949/

Bernie

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 5:18 PM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 11, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #7159021

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie!

I'm back from the homecoming parade. As Crissy said in her post on the previous thread--no sign of the sun today and it was cold at the parade. The poor "homecoming sweethearts" all had lap blankets across their legs and then of course some of them were wearing strapless dresses--does that make sense? LOL My feet are still cold!

Here's a pic of my DGD in the homecoming parade--she is the blonde on the left in this photo--and that is her natural hair color, by the way--it isn't bleached. She gets that hair color from her mother.

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 6:32 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 11, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #7159029

This is my DGS little league football team--riding on a trailer in the parade. I'm glad I live in a small town where parades are still a big deal--even if they do last only 30 minutes--LOL!!

Thumbnail by marsue

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
12:52 AM

Post #7159330

40F and dropping quickly. Looks like our first frost is coming tonight. Extended forecast calls for a bit of sun tomorrow then 7 straight days of rain. they seem to change it every day so hopefully it will improve a bit.

I stopped by the Lowes again yesterday and snagged around 70 more gallon sized (or bigger) perennials for $1 a pot. I got Variegated Lilly Turf, coral bells, hostas, hypericum, Moonlight Brooms, clematis, anemones, Pratia and more sedums and ferns.

rann...Wow! That was some windstorm! Who are the guys running around strapping down the buildings?

marsue...The girls do look cold! We have a big Halloween parade here. Late Oct. and at night so you can usually count on miserable weather for that one.

Bernie...I went out at sunrise to a local State Gamelands to do some photography and just about stepped on a big ring neck before he flew. Saw some other pheasants as well as a red fox. He's probably eating well.

Joey...Glad you're ok. My son hit a deer a few weeks ago and totaled his car. He had a little dodge Neon--turbo-charged to boot--and it really did a number on it.

I haven't posted a photo of the GS in quite a while. Here's an updated one.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #7159452

LOL!
Two Pumpkins!
GREAT Shot e_b!

Mau I recognized her right off!
Another GREAT shot... BRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Bernie Thanks!
Hope the weather hold for the forms and pour.
But being up there I'm sure cold pours are a way of life.

chrissy didn't Mt St Helens change elevations a lot just before she blew?
Just joking... pretty much...

We thought tomorrow would be Plastic Day.
Then our neighbor Jon offered us some OSB and a Ridgecap.
So we are going to continue the back roof to the peak and cap it.
I went up at noon and 4 and looked...
we won't loose any Sun to that design, it's free materials and will gain more insulation so, no brainer.

We were in the upper 30's this morning, mid 50's and sunny most of the day.
Here I am sheathing the back of the Chase/Storage tunnel.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #7159463

Rann,
As I remember back in 1980's which I was living in Southern Calif that 100 mph Santa Ana Wind that some roof blew off whole thing and crash into back of the apartments and it real bad one! Then few days later another one came up to 80 mph, too!

Right now is 50* will be later on around 38*...

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 8:36 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 12, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #7159471

After tonight everything's uphill. High of 60 next Sunday.
This cold was very un-ordinary. Shouldn't be in 20's until early November.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #7159519

I thought the Autumns would be much colder up there Bernie.
That's not too bad then.
Will you have a crawl space or poured pad?

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
8:35 AM

Post #7160301

Good morning!

Windy again and rain in the forecast, 42F. 10 m/s (22 mph) winds gusting to 16 m/s (35 mph). Most of the leaves that are still on the trees after Friday's storm are totally ruined so no more fall color glory ... second year in a row the show is cut short because of storms ...

EB - the guys running around strapping things down are volunteer rescue workers ... they also go on rescue/ search missions when people get in trouble or get lost up on the highlands/ mountains... Their biggest fundraiser is the fireworks sales for New Year's Eve. Very cute photo of your grandson :-)

Rusty - wow didn't know the Santa Ana could pack such a punch!

marsue - great photos from the parade :-)

SR's sick with something ... hope it isn't the flu.

Have a great day everyone!

Another Colchicum, this one's called 'Waterlily'

Rann

This message was edited Feb 7, 2014 1:13 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #7160461

LOL! My nails have been red or pink most of the Summer so I went with a Fall color. My nails are painted with OPI overexposed in south beach, which is a purple/pink color. I was worn out after the massage. I ended up going to bed around 8:30!

Mau Your GD is gorgeous and look at that hair! Wow! Our parades are short too.
E_B Your GS is adorable!

Everyone is cold arnd we are unseasonably hot and humid. August is still here ...

78.3 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 72 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 81 F
Visibility: 8.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1700 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Now
Through 830 am...scattered showers over the coastal waters will wander towards the shore this morning. The heavier showers were 10 miles east of Amelia Island...onshore St. Augustine and 20 to 30 miles east of Crescent Beach and Saint Simons Island. The showers will move northwest at less than 10 miles an hour.

No rain for over 3 weeks now...painted lady hib

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7160847

EB--your GS is adorable Lots of good neck sugar there :o)) I have restrained myself from making a trip to the nearest Lowe's store (about 10 miles away) -- those are some bargains!
Ric: now you've done it--Crissy is already a basket case about tornadoes and now she'll be looking for a volcano to arise in her back yard! ROFLOL Great cloud patterns in those photos
Rann: hope Selma feels better soon! pretty Colchicum
Sharon: a good massage is always relaxing and makes you want to sleep! nice photo of the hib

I'll gladly send our rain to you, Sharon --it's raining again this morning! grrrrr!
Bernie's "weather liars" have made their way south! They told us we were going to have a week of sunshine - - wrong!! We have rain in the forecast through Thursday!

Clerodendrum bungeii---aka Mexican Hydrangea

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 9:06 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #7160854

Good Morning!!

LOL Ric I have no idea LOL!! It changed back again.

53.8 F
Overcast
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 52 F
Wind: 1.3 mph from the NE
Wind Gust: 1.3 mph
Pressure: 30.04 in (Rising)
Visibility: 8.0 miles
Clouds:
Overcast 800 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 583 ft

Today's Forecast:
Look for the rain to continue through the morning and into the early afternoon hours. The more persistent rain will fall in the SE portions of the state through this afternoon, and temps will stay in the mid and upper 60's. Tomorrow we have another wave bringing us more rainfall, and that in turn will keep our temps cool again, highs will be in the lower 60's. The sun makes a return to the state on Friday.

Chief Mike Francis

Wonder if NOAA will be right, if not it's 3 days in a row!

Great pics Mau! Looks like you had fun regardless.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #7160865

I've been in many earthquakes ya'll, the biggest one was the 1989 San Francisco Quake that knocked a section of the Bay Bridge out, cracked everyone's swimming pools, killed many when the Nemitz Freeway collapsed, some of you may remember hearing about it on the news...?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #7160920

Chrissy I think you'll be OK on the Vocanos.
The last major eruption in Arkansas was 1.1 BILLION years ago.
So the odds are... LOL!

Rann that's an aptly named plant!

Cool and foggy this morning.
We should hit 65 today and tomorrow w/ a lot of Sun.
We'll get our rain Weds-Saturday.
Ric

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #7161129

Criss,

I was there at once never forget about earthquake in 70's, 80's and again 90's... Very scaring to me... As San Francisco in 1906 is bad one... So, I was living in southern California for years (childhood)...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #7161368

Hello, all!!! I was away for the weekend and had no internet. Wow...volcanoes, storms, rain, sick fish, baby chicks, earthquakes...I shouldn't stay away so long. I can't keep/catch up, so, I won't try.

Darrell and I had to get away. Stuff keeps happening and we needed a break. We went to Mesquite, NV, gambled away money we didn't have, ate too much rich food, drank too much, visited with relatives until too late at night and got up too early. Darrell's DS and BIL own a condo there and they invited us to come and stay for the weekend, which we were more than happy to take them up on. We had fun, although, I had and still have a head cold I've had since Wednesday.

The last straw this week was my daughter Crystal has been diagnosed with cervical cancer. Her Dr. is sending her into SLC this week to have the cancer removed. We don't know how this will affect the baby. The good news is they caught it very early and she has a good chance of recovering. I'll keep you updated on her condition.

53.6 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 33 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SSE
Wind Gust: 16.0 mph
Pressure: 29.83 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 12000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Our view from the condo.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #7161382

Darrell, his sis, Irma and her hubby, Terry.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #7161387

Some of the countryside.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #7161398

More country. It's a desolate area. I wish we had driven through here at sunset. The colors would have been priceless.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #7161403

Oh,Celia, Im so sorry about Crystal's diagnosis but glad they caught it early. I was just thinking a
bout her (and you) last night! Sounds like you and Darrell needed a "get-away".
Ric: a billion years? How do they know? Who was around back then? LOL
Crissy-let's hope the weather folk aren't lying this time so that we will have good weather for the RU!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #7161405

Howdy Do all!

I still have no time to be online, but I'm on a short coffee break and my cup is almost empty already.

Let's see, so far since I've been gone, I've had my teeth cleaned, canned green beans, carrots, hot pepper mix, patty pan squash, chicken broth, pears, grape and apple juice. We've had two birthday parties in September. The boys are now 5 and 3. We pressure washed the house, rescued a few ditch flowers and got poison oak. Went to the Dr. and it's cleared up. I replanted most of the tulips I dug and planted all but the lilys in the pots.

We took the boys to the quarry and filled my garden path with pea gravel. I cleaned closets, cupboards and drawers. I had to admit after 3 years I wasn't going to fit into a few jeans anymore and passed them on. I got a new kitchen faucet and counter top. We got new glasses. We picked 52 buckets of apples with 48 good ones for cider. We got a new ladder! One that unfolds into 5 heights.

We had a funeral for DH's friend in the morning and a visitation for the sister of my kindergarten buddie in the afternoon. Both in opposite directions an hour and two hours away. We made both on time. Now another friend has passed.

We pressed 47 gallons of apple juice and I canned 140 quarts Friday and Saturday. We had to run to Walmart for jars because I ran out. They had them on clearance for $7.00. I grabbed 11 boxes. I'm set for life I hope.

On top of all that, the computer barely works. I announced that when we get a new one, I want a lap top too.

I still have 4 brussels sprout plants to strip, blanch and freeze. I need to mow, and we need to cover the side porch screened in windows with plastic. I picked all my peppers last week.

It's froze, not frosted, twice already, and we've hardly seen the sun. It's cloudy and 40* right now.

Sorry to not comment. I'm afraid to open a picture in case the computer crashes, but nice pictures for thumbnails :o)

Later all!

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #7161419

Wow,BP-I'm tired just reading about all you have been doing-you must be exhausted! LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2009

Post #7161420

There's a large mule deer population not far from there. This was only some of them.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7161446

Thanks, Mau. I'm just so worried even though I know things will probably be fine.

Wow, BP. You're making ME tired! LOL

The Virgin river. Don't know why they call it that.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7161453

Kelli, Darrell wanted me to ask you if this is a Joshua Tree.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7161467

"It looks like a cactus." Is it?

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #7161475

"it smells funny here."

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #7161484

Celia, I'm glad you had such a good weekend! We will be praying for your daughter and the baby. How scary for all of you!!

It's 73 and partly cloudy here right now. It's been raining off and on all day, and is expected to continue all week. The high is going to be in the low 80s, but it'll be back up in the 90s by Wednesday and Thursday. Thursday evening another chilly front is coming back through, so we should have a nice, cool weekend. That will be very nice. :-)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #7161493

Celia, I'm glad you were able to get away from it all for a short time. I hope Crystal comes out of everything ok. What a tough break. Prayers sent for everyone.

Mau, actually, I've been sleeping good and waking up full of energy.

I'm still on break and having a piece of apple pie I made yesterday.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #7161516

Hi, Sally! We cross posted. It's nice to see you. :-) You HAVE been busy!!! I hope you can get your new computer(s) soon so you can pop in more often. Apple pie... yummmm... :-)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #7161585

Thanks Marylyn, I'm hoping at least for an early Christmas present or at least the first of the year. So, it won't be too soon. The pie was good :o)
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #7161626

Wow Celia, that's a lot to take, and now Cancer??? Oh my goodness, just think though, if she wasn't pregnant she probably wouldn't know it and they probably would haven't caught it yet...
Looks and sounds like you had a good time nevertheless.

I'm just here at work in a bad mood and I'm not going to say anymore :)

LOL Mau! You all know I was here then!

Mau, I'm going to be so extremely tired at that RU from this conference this week, and once again, I'm not saying anymore. I plan on coming to your house Friday after I get off work, I haven't had time to be on midsouth, once I get there I won't leave! LOL

Celia, Yes that is a Joshua Tree. And Yes, that is a cactus. I used to know the names of all of them but not anymore.

At the State Fair on Saturday one of the food booths that sells funnel cakes had an "Elephant Ear" A solid slab of dough in an EE shape with Hot Apples on top, didn't have one but it looked delicious!

I still have a ton of work to do here at work so I'll see ya'll later.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #7161746

LOL, Crissy--you will have to leave on Saturday morning if you want to go to Kim's for the RU!!
I'm assuming you will find your way to my house via your GPS "thingy"? That EE-shaped funnel cake is what we need at the RU!!

Celia: I meant to say that I think Darrell and his sister bear a strong resemblance to one another.

Marylyn: it's nice that you got a short break from the heat. You and Sharon still seem to be havin summer, though.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #7161799

LOL Yea, I'll just need your addy. I'm not spending the night at your house, just coming to visit as Dave works Swing Shift anyway. It looked delicious, I might sneak back to the fair myself just for some food LOL!!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 12, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #7161887

Hi, guys! I've done with canning for now...ugh! It's been raining all day , but still not so cold as forecasted, 55 F.
Celia, no wonder you had to get away ...I'll be keeping Crystal and the baby in my prayers . (((((Hugs))))) Great pictures!
Sally, I was wondering where you were ! Thank God the bad weather will bring us all together here!LOL
Ric, great sky! How is the GH? How long are you going to keep Robyn up there?LOL
Rann, I hope Selma doesn't get a flu and gets well soon. Pretty flower!
Sharon, as you know my DH is a massage therapist , but I hardly get a massage/year...I know how good it is! Green with envy here!LOL
Mau, what a beautiful Mexican Hydrangea, never seen one before! Lovely pictures of the parade! Poor girls, they sure look like they were cold , brrr! Which one was your DGS?
E_B, aweeeeeeeeeee, what a cutie!
Some cans from yesterday.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #7162022

Your canned veggies look delicious, Adina!!

Ric, I posted a thread in the pond forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1047458/ Help!

Back to homeschool...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #7162289

Crissy, I have sent you a dmail with my address.

Adina: you have been busy, too. The veggies look yummy! My DGS has the number 10 on his jersey. You can see the "1" but the "0" is partially blocked in the photo. He was turned to look at me and his dad.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2009 4:06 PM
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #7162321

I didn't get the dmail...

If I liked canned food, I would say those do look good! LOL my grandmother used to feed me stuff she'd jarred and canned when I was little and now I can't stand it, unless it's peaches :)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #7162337

LOL--I'll send it now--I was sending someone else directions, too!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #7162346

Ric, you asked about how I feed my fish. I just kind of toss the food in. I have never tried to train them to hand feed them, though I know it isn't difficult to do.

Celia, yep, Joshua tree and cactus. It's some kind of cholla cactus, maybe a buckhorn cholla. I hope things go well for your daughter.

80% of real rain on Wednesday

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on October 12, 2009
63 F
Overcast
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 7 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.81 in (Falling)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft
Overcast 6000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

On Saturday, we went to Descanso Gardens. They were supposed to have an African violet show, but it was cancelled. We had a good time anyways.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #7162351

koi at Descanso Gardens
There was a little boy, probably 2 years old, who was absolutely fascinated by them.

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #7162441

Kelli, who wouldn't be fascinated by those "giant goldfish"!? LOL

Still cloudy and gray. It was misting rain a little while ago when I took my little dog outside. Currently 60F on my back porch.

zinnias and noid blue salvia

Thumbnail by marsue

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #7162513

Mau The Mexican Hydrangea is a very pretty color! Please send rain!
Crissy Our elevation changes from 18-20. Depends on the day LOL!
Celia Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep us posted on Crystal and the baby. Looks like a great time was had over the weekend. There is some pretty countryside way out West.
Sally you made me tired LOL! Youve been so busy
Celia That is a Joshua Tree in the yucca family http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_brevifolia
Adina I didnt know Cici is a massage therapist! My ex-rommmate is oneI really miss her LOL! Your veggies look yummy!
Mau Your flowers look great!

82.2 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 73 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 88 F
Clouds: Few 6000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Now
Through 645 PM...scattered showers and thunderstorms will continue to move across northeast Florida affecting...Taylor and Jacksonville Beach. Movement is to the northeast at 15 to 20 miles per hour. Expect locally heavy rainfall...brief gusty winds and cloud-to-ground lightning with this activity.

It's gray outside, but no sign of rain. Record high today of 91*.

I haven't id'd these yet.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #7162565

Wow, Kelli! Real rain!! That will be VERY welcome there, I'm sure!! And yayy!!! for your Dodgers, by the way! :-)

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #7162651

I was wrong...our record high today was 92* :P
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 13, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #7163088

Look closely. It's just a shower and will probably only last a few minutes, but it's the most rain we've had in months.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #7163187

Celia we were just talking about you this afternoon.
Hope everything turns out OK w/ your DD and they can get it all taken care of quickly.
I agree it's probably a life saver that they caught it.

HUGS
Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #7163256

Looks like a GREAT vacation and I can see why you needed to get away.
GREAT Pics!
Man it's good Darrell didn't get any closer to the Cholla.
They spread in a rather unique way.
As animals roamed thru them they break off and get caught in their hair.
Then miles later fall out and start rooting.
They are really a hassle for cattle and horses.
I raise them and the are second only to Opuntia in sticks! Ouch!

Kelli I'm jealous ... Descanso is aways our first stop...
well we do hit In-and-Out Burger on the way but...lol!

I was hoping you throw fed.
Hand feeding is like training them to be Racoon food.

BP GLAD you are back!
Man you make ME tired! LOL!
I have an online source I trust very much for all my computer stuff.
I got a really nice Acer Laptop just before I got laid off and love it.
Let me know if you are interested...

Adina Robyn's still up there.
When she finishes the insulation she can come down... LOL!
Actually we got the ridgecap on, the tar paper and drip edge down and the plastic is covering the roof!
AND Robyn got most of the 'chase' insulation installed.
Tomorrow we'll stretch the plastic a little more and secure it for the winter.
Then the plants start going up.
I think I have a way to run a hoist up there... if so it will be a snap.

Joycet and taynors will be stopping by on Thursday.
Our neighbor has a ton of banana pups to get rid off... and the girls haven't seen the Pond yet..

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #7163269

This is 4 PM sun...

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #7163274

It got a bit toasty in there toward the end... LOL!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 13, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #7163646

BRRR! Record low -16C or 3F

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
5:55 AM

Post #7163854

Thanks, everyone, for keeping Crystal in your thoughts. She's going to have her porcedure on Friday. It's going to be a long week.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009

Post #7164032

Good morning!

Raining this morning, just a light breeze and 50F.

HE's sick too, so now I have two sick girls to take care of ... just hope I won't get too sick before DH comes back home.

Sally - nice to hear from you again! Wow you've been busy. Wish I had a quarter of your energy ;-)

Ric - the GH is shaping up nicely!

Kelli - yay on the rain!

Celia - so sorry to hear about your daughter. Hope everything goes well on Friday. Looks like you had a good trip - great photos!

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

This message was edited Feb 7, 2014 1:14 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #7164122

Thanks, Rann. Everybody seems to be sick, getting sick or just getting over being sick. I just hope Darrell doesn't get it.

52.5 F with 67 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 63%
Dew Point: 40 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the South
Wind Gust: 16.0 mph
Pressure: 29.70 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 9000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 14000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Another pic of the Virgin River.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #7164201

Kelli Congrats on the rain!!!
Ric The greenhouse looks awesome!
Rann- I hope the girls feel better soon. Poor babies

71.6 F
Overcast
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 67 F
Pressure: 30.12 in(Rising)
Visibility: 0.8 miles

Today
Mostly cloudy. Patchy dense fog early in the morning. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times early in the morning. Highs in the lower 80s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

I woke up with a stuffy nose this morning...hopefully it's just allergies (crossing fingers). The record we beat yesterday was set back in 1948 at 89*. We've had a pretty miserable "Fall". WX is saying we'll get cooler by the weeekend...but I'm not holding my breath.

Lady Margaret

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #7164350

Joanna that's insane for this time of year!
We rarely hit freezing by Halloween..
I can only remember two snows by then.

Sharon does that Maypop seed?
Is it edible?
Beautiful!!!

Grey here and 54F
Going to turn sunny and near 60.
Then rain and cold come in...
TWC is calling for near freezing by Saturday morning.
We'll put the inside layer of plastic up today and start moving plants.
Frost we can deal w/ outside, freeze no way...
Need to get the furnace cleaned and fired up too.
We usually don't really use it til Nov...
but it's nice to get the burnt dust smell out of the way while we can still open the windows... lol!

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #7164410

Boo on the rain here. It's pouring here again, the whole 40 minutes to work the windshield wipers were on the fastest speed and were doing nothing. I had to drive in that last Friday, I think we've had enough, something like 200% over the normal rainfall here.

65.8 F
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 60 F
Pressure: 30.11 in (Falling)
Visibility: 1.5 miles
Clouds:
Overcast 300 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 600 ft

Light rain my rear, the radar shows us in the yellow right now.

Another wet start to the day... Rain is in the forecast for the majority of the day, temps will hover in the mid 60's as a warm front to our south will wiggle around today. In the southern sections of the state there is a higher chance of a few strong storms, highs down there in the 70's. More rain for tomorrow and Thursday.

Unbelievable, Mau do you have a boat?? LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #7164481

GRRRRR--this is my 3rd attempt to post here this morning--lost the first two!!!

Unfortunately, Crissy, I don't have boat!! Looks like we might need one if this keeps up. :o((
Joanna: BRRRRRR, indeed!
Ric: the GH is coming right along--I hope that roof is reinforced!
Kelli: are you in the area of CA that is expecting heavy rain and resulting mudslides the next few days? Sure hope you don't encounter anything like that!
Sharon: Whew! it's hot where you are! Maybe you should go visit Joanna for a few days! LOL
Lady Margaret seems to be thriving in the heat.
Celia: be sure to keep us posted about Crystal. Big hugs to you both!

Crissy has already posted our weather. Weather folk are predicting sunshine for this week-end---we'll see. . .

Ric: I have another spathe on the Big Dipper.

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #7164629

After their promise of sunny weather last weekend that they missed both Sat and Sun, then they never admit to completely missing the boat, speaking of boats, I'm skeptical on sun this weekend. We'll see.

I don't have a boat either Mau, I'll have to rob Diana of hers LOL

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 13, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #7164632

A snowy day today. As you can see, I have a lot of work for this weekend cleaning up the yard. It is forecasted to be high of +19C or 66F for Saturday.
High Forecast -3C or 26F
Condition: Light Snow
Temp: -7C or 18F
Wind: SE 15 km/h or 9m/h
Relative Humidity: 86%
Pressure: 102.13 kPa or 29.53 in
Dewpoint: -8.7C or 16.3F
Ceiling: 700 ft
Visibility: 1.2 km or 0.7 miles

Altitude: 1084 m or 3556 ft
Latitude: 51.12
Longitude: -114.04

Sunrise: 7:56AM
Sunset: 6:46PM

Thumbnail by joannabanana

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7164778

NIce job Mau!
Those EE's are certainly happy.

The room was built to hold a second story and attic.
This is about 1/10th the weight if that.

Still Grey...

WOW Joanna!
I just realized you're in a colder Zone than Kiska in Alaska!
Pretty I guess...LOL!

Ric
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #7164805

That's going to be nice Ric.

Look at our radar, and that yellow/red crap on the radar there, it's headed right at us! I'm in the middle of the state where you see all of the interstates coming together, if this map shows that.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #7164811

That image is an hour old, all of that dark green is now yellow, and the yellow/red is orange/red now.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #7164886

It's cleared up here and the sun is shining. It's been a really nice day here today. Haven't felt like going outside though. HE has a high fever and has thrown up twice, so I'm keeping a close eye on her. She's been sleeping most of the day.

Rann

This message was edited Feb 7, 2014 1:15 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #7164998

Cloudy and cold still. High is supposed to be in the mid 40s but the wind chill will be about 35.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 13, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #7165414

It's been raining all day and a strom started a few hours ago. The temps have dropped to 55 and are going down to 37 tonight...brrr!
Rann, no Hildur Eva too! I hope they get well soon.
Joanna, wow, snow!Love the picture!
Ric, I hope you finish the GH until the bad weather hits . Or we'll have Robyn sick too...NO WAY!LOL My furnace started just a few minutes ago . We got a Digital Chronothermostate connected to it. It was programmed for 20C/68F and just now the temp dropped below...yiiippeeee, the heaters are hot!
Sharon, I also hope it's allergies, take care. Your Lady Margaret is awesome!
Mau, beautiful bud! I thought the little guy was your GS, but wasn't sure .
Celia, I'm keeping Crystal in my prayers for a successful surgery on Friday.
Kelli, hooray for the shower! Is the fish OK? Great pics! The african violets show would have been awesome though.
Marylyn, how are the bunnies?
Crissy, I canned pickles this time. They are sour and so tasty, you would love it!
Here are the sweet peppers cans.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 13, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #7165424

And the cucumbers.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 13, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #7165438

The sun came out a bit at sunset. I forgot to tell you I also have a sore throat...must be a bug online!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 13, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #7165578

I hope the peeps and their kids all get better very soon. (Last week it was sick pets, this weeks it's sick people. Oh, my.)

Quoting:are you in the area of CA that is expecting heavy rain and resulting mudslides the next few days?

In the broad sense, this affects the greater Kelli area, but specifically, it won't directly affect me because I don't live downhill of a burn area.

Quoting:Is the fish OK?

His spots are getting smaller. He is in a tub in the house so I put salt and antibiotics in the water. He doesn't seem to like it much, but it has to be done that way.

We've gotten 0.15 inches of rain today. There is still an 80% chance for tomorrow.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on October 13, 2009
62 F
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 59 F
Wind: 10 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.91 in (Falling)
Visibility: 5.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1300 ft
Mostly Cloudy 2000 ft
Overcast 3500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

better go do my trampoline now
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #7165655

Sunny & warm for the moment. was foggy this morning and the temp is supposed to drop tonight and stay cool through the weekend.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #7165657

Hello All! The sun is out & it has warmed up to 70, but that will be short-lived. Ric, they are calling for snow flurries for this coming week end! I will be bringing all of my flowers inside, tomorrow evening, because the temps are to go downward from then on.
LOL! It's amazing how much faster I can keyboard when I cut off my nails! :D
All of the fish that I did the 'tox-test' on have surviived! Needless to say I got to bring 8 of them home w/ me. They are so neat! They're fancy finned Danio's.
Mostly Cloudy:70F
Feels like: 70F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 46
Humidity: 40%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 11 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:30 AM
Sunset: 6:49 PM
UV Index: 4 Moderate

Crissy, I'm fine & thanks for asking. I think my ego has gone 'bust' since the accident, but I'll get over it! :D
Mau, Sounds like you & Crissy are getting some not so needed rain! My DB has a boat & I'm willing to come & get ya! ;) Actually, your moisture is probably where our snow will come from. And your EE's!!!!! Wow! Such definition! :D
Rann, I hate to hear that your girls are so sick. I hope it soon passes & they are 'on the mend'.
Celia, My heart goes out to you & your DD. Such an awful thing to face during a 'happy' time. But they have found it early, which is a plus. Prayers to you & your family...hoping Friday comes & goes quickly. The place in NV is Gorgeous! :D
Ric, Your GH is really shaping up! LOL! & the sooner the better! Right? ;)
Kelli, I'm So glad that your GF doing better! Do you have a lot of raccoons out there? At the Trout Lodge when I worked there, we had a mountain lion, some bears, but the Night Herons were the worst for 'snatching' fish! Soooo Glad that you got some rain! :D What a bummer about the AV show. :(
E_B, I still haven't mailed those seeds! Tomorrow, I PROMISE! So sorry to hear that your son totaled his car! I still haven't heard from the ins. guy about mine. I do know that the body shop that has my car hasn't heard anything either, which is very unusual, because the adjuster looked at it Thursday evening. I'd like to know if I need to buy a new car or not...I don't like the rental I've got. It's a brand new Malibu, but it's so Big! I'd rather have a truck!
Joanna, You have some hefty snow! All of your poor flowers aren't liking the snow! The look so droopy. ;( Is winter there to stay?
Adina! Wow! That's some fancy canning! Beautiful!
Sharon, speaking of beautiful!!!! Lady Margaret is really putting on a show! :D She does like her new home, huh? :D Hopefully soon, you'll get the 'cool-down' we've all been experiencing! :D
Sally, Glad that you made it back! LOL! Altho, I don't know how! I'm w/ everybody else...All the things that you'v ebeen doing...makes me tired just reading it! LOL Hope you can get that new laptop Way before Christmas! ;)

Have a good eveing, y'all. :)
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #7165713

Adina you are too funny! Love it! They do look yummy...
If I could make myself like two things it would be pickles and cream cheese, of course those are about the only two things I don't like.

Joey I know how that is, about 1 1/2 years ago I had a new Toyota Tacoma 4x4 and was rear-ended by a gal driving a new Chevy Outlander Minivan going 50mph, I was at a dead stop.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #7165792

Rann: keep us posted about the girls--that fever, etc., is certainly no fun for them or you!
Adina:; my son and grandson would clean your pantry out of those pickles in no time--they love sour pickles!
Joey--70F and sunshine! I'm jealous! Get that boat and head this way! LOL

Joanna, while you are shoveling snow this week-end, it looks like Crissy and I will be bailing water. It's still raining--like that little bunny on the commercials, it just keeps on! :o((((

I took this photo between rains this week-end.
Lanai Upright Series Verbena

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 13, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #7165832

Joanna, it looks like the snow caught you off guard. You don't leave the lawn furniture outside all winter, do you?

Adina, the pickles look great, but then I never met a pickle I didn't like. It must be the German in me. ;-)

Joey, let's just say that if they replaced the bear on the state flag with a raccoon, it would make more sense.

Thumbnail by Kelli

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 13, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #7165849

Yes,

Not so much the snow, but the cold temps caught me off guard. It got down to -16C or 3F. Way too cold for this time of year. New record was set. It's hard to believe that we had record highs and the highest temps for 2009 just 2 weeks ago. Wacky

I take the umbrella indoors & cover the patio table. It's marble and too heavy to move in. The swing is in use year round. I move some of the nick-knacks indoors.

I need to transplant some roses and plant some tulips yet. The snow will melt quickly and by Thursday we are in for some warm weather and above freezing nights for a few days. The big garden clean-up will probably take the entire weekend.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2009
10:01 PM

Post #7165891

LOL Mau, ain't that the truth!

I'm hoping to get out there before the RU but it's not looking too promising, oh well, I just desperately need to separate those seeds!

Well I'm going to make my drench trek home, see ya'll later.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #7165951

Ric Thank you Lady M never lets me down! I thought I lost her last year after all the freezes we had. It does fruit, but they really arent edible. There isnt much in the way of meat. I took a little taste once and was disappointed LOL!
Crissy send that rain my way!
Mau Believe me right about now a dunk in the snow would feel good LOL! I am loving big dipper!
JB Pretty snow covered everything!
crissy I cant see the interstates for all the rain LOL!
Rann- I hope she doesnt have the flusending healing thoughts your way.
Adina Brrrrr Pretty sunset!
Kelli Im glad your fish is doing better.
E_B I missed the post about your son. Is he ok? Also, I received the package.
Joey- Lady M loves full sun and heat, which makes this a perfect location LOL! Love the fishies! Go get that truck!
Adina/crissy I love dill pickles and cream cheese, but not together LOL@

73.0 F
Overcast
Humidity: 81%
Pressure: 30.06 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 73 F
Visibility: 3.0 miles

Tonight
Cloudy. A slight chance of rain in the evening...then chance of rain after midnight. Areas of fog in the late evening and overnight. Lows in the upper 60s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

it's been cloudy and gray all day, but no rain...

Its a Peanut!

Thumbnail by MySharona

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 13, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #7166030

I plugged in the dog house heater and Todd loves it. He spends the night inside, but otherwise he is an outside dog. These heaters are the coolest. It only comes on when it is below freezing and if he is on it. It has a sensor for both weight & temp. His water dish is made by the same mfg and keeps the water from freezing, although Todd enjoys a mouth full of snow to wet his whistle as well.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #7166115

Joanna--that heater is just the neatest thing I have seen for a pet!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #7166608

I agree!
And Todd looks VERY Happy!
I need one for my car seat!

Adina if those taste as good as they look they have to be Heavenly!

Chrissy those are a nice addition!

Joey I love those minnows on steroids!

Peanut looks like he's melting!

Well the Green House is done.
Except for the framing and plastic on one small section of the wall.
(That's where we'll bring the plants in..)
All the wood walls are insulated w/ an R-13.
The inside walls are covered in plastic too.
So a GH in a GH.
It was 55 outside. The sun came out and we were down to T-Shirts even w/ the one wall open.
It will be toasty in there.
Tomorrow we'll finish putting down the rubber mats and the racks and start bringing in the plants.

The insulation.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #7166628

Ready to roll!

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
8:42 AM

Post #7167176

Not nearly as cold as I thought it would be this morning - still pretty dark though.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2009
10:04 AM

Post #7167244

LOL! Dyson! BTW Happy Birthday!!! Hope you have a Great Day! :D

Yep, It's Dyson Dark & 54. We have a 40% chance of snow flurries for Saturday. (but I always say...everything is subject to change) The High today (they say) is supposed to be 48...?
Cloudy: 54F
Feels like: 54F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 46
Humidity: 76%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 3 mph E
Sunrise: 7:31 AM
Sunset: 6:48 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

I'll try to be back later after I get off from work, But I'll need to go car shopping. I got a call last night from another ins. guy (I've only talked to 4 different ones) that my car is totaled. I'm glad someone finally let me know! I have to have my rental turned in by next Monday, so I'll be doing some serious hunting between now & then.

BBL & Ya'll Have a Great Day!

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2009

Post #7167314

Happy Birthday Dyson! Have a great day!!!

Ric LOL Were all melting!
Joey - Good luck on the car/truck hunting!
crissy - We gained 2' in elevation overnight LOL! We were 18' yesterday, 20' today.

67.6 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 98% (no wonder it doesn't feel like 67*)
Wind Gust: 2.0 mph
Pressure: 29.93 in (Rising)
Visibility: 3.0 miles
Clouds: Few 2200 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft

Today
Patchy fog early in the morning. Slight chance of showers early in the morning...then showers and chance of thunderstorms. Highs in the lower 80s. East winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Crossing fingers for rain. The back side of painted lady hib. I think it's almost as pretty as the front.

Thumbnail by MySharona

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #7167612

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DYSON!!!! Have a great day!

Joey have a good day car shopping, I hope you find exactly what you are looking for.

On that note, Dave said that the new Camaro's are getting great reviews and when it's time for us to buy a new car in a couple of years we should look into one of those. Leery about buying GMAC and was actually looking into maybe an Infiniti G Coupe. We have to pay off Dave's truck first before we do anything, which is another 2 years of payments.

57.4 F
Overcast
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 56 F
Pressure: 29.96 in (Falling)
Clouds:
Mostly Cloudy 300 ft
Overcast 800 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 583 ft

I'll have to look at the other thread to find out how far mine jumps down to.

I hope the look I got going into the elevator is no indication of how my day is going to go. I was walking up the hall and the lady who runs the cleaners said "hi" and we had a "how are you doing" conversation as I kept walking, then I heard someone behind me clearing their throat I was almost to the elevator and turned around and the gal who works in one of the restaurants said "Hi" and I had the "how are you doing" conversation with her. One of the guys I work with was already standing waiting at the elevator and when I turned around an elevator showed up at the same time and he gave me this disgusted look and rolled his eyes, he didn't look at me or say anything in the elevator either. How rude!
bluepoppy
Landisburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #7167710

The weather man is predicting snow here in Central Pa for thurs and Friday...Will be 2 months early...Leaves still on the trees..>Could be a mess if we actually get it...and I still have things to plant yet..Some not received from co-ops yet...I am NOT ready for cold weather...And how is global warming in your part of the country?????/
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #7167741

blue poppy - we've had record heat temps 12-15* above normal for this time of year
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #7167789

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DYSON!

The hot air is pooling down south.
The colder air being drawn down to fill the gap.

The Weather Channel is calling for near freezing temps overnight here on the weekend.
Then back up to our normal 65 and 45

Here's our neighbor's basjoo.
This after taking 6 5' tall pups out last weekend.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #7167912

Crissy, I think you should get the Camaro. Then, we could race cross-country in our muscle cars! LOL

Sharon, 2 more feet? Maybe FL is having bloating issues.

Ric, that is so cool you're done! Get the plants in and the new door and WOW!

Joey, neat you got the bring the fish home. They're so pretty.

Blue poppy, yikes! Hopefully, it will be light snow and go away fast. I still have stuff to do, too.

55.9 F with 61 for the high. 80% chance of rain. Good, because our grass needs more water. Poor stuff is only a foot tall, thick and lush, and an ugly shade of grass-green.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 38 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph
Pressure: 29.89 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 5500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 7000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

All the roses are done except the minis.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #7167921

We are going to have to take the "tricks" out of the title of this thread. Everytime I get ready to post to this thread my post disappears---GRRRR. this is, again, my third attempt to post to the weather thread. So here goes:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DYSON!!!
Ric, you and Robyn should live in the GH this winter--you'll save a ton on heating bills--LOL Your neighbor's basjoo looks like a banana tree to me.
Joey--your fish tank is entirely too clean--it doesn't look real. :o)) Pretty fish, though. Good luck with the car shopping today.
Sharon: painted lady hib's backside is very pretty indeed--LOL
Crissy--perhaps things will get better for you the rest of the day--there is always someone 'out there' who wants to put a damper on things. Are you worried about the changing elevation?--LOL
blue poppy: LOL at global warming in your area. Sharon, Marylyn and Kelli could offer you a different viewpoint though.

Here in our part of the U.S. we are in between global warming and another ice age--LOL--Our highs this week will be in the 60's with lows in the 50's--so not much change from day to night. Our good news is that it is currently not raining and the weather folk are still promising sunshine for the week-end. HOORAY (if they aren't lying, that is,.)

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #7167924

don't push your luck, Celia---crissy has a lead foot--ask me how I know LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #7167935

LOL She hasn't seen ME drive! I used to make deliveries for a living. Heh heh heh
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #7167946

Okay--let's set it up and take bets! LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #7167989

You're on!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #7168046

Crissy says she's in! LOL
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 14, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #7168133

Still snowing on and off. 3.5 inches or 9cm

High Forecast -1C or 30F
Condition: Light Snow
Temp: -3C or 26F
Wind: ESE 7 km/h or 4mph
Relative Humidity: 93%
Pressure: 101.2 kPa or 29.89 in
Dewpoint: -4.1C or 24.6F
Ceiling: 1000 ft
Visibility: 2.4 km or 1.5 miles

Sunrise: 7:58AM
Sunset: 6:44PM

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #7168297

Hi, everyone! Happy Birthday, Dyson!! :-)

We have a cool front coming through Thursday night, but it's going to be hot until then. Right now it's only 82, but the clouds are thinning out rapidly so it is going to be much hotter this afternoon. We should have run our errands this morning!

From http://www.uswx.com/us/wx/tx/77024/XSPS.8962/ :

Quoting:...Unseasonably warm temperatures to prevail ahead of a strong cold front...

Unseasonably warm temperatures and high humidity will prevail today and again on Thursday ahead of a strong autumn cold front. South to southwest winds will allow temperatures to warm into the lower and middle 90s this afternoon and Thursday afternoon. The only factor limiting the warm up will be cloud cover. Dew point temperatures will remain in the mid and upper 70s so heat index values will exceed 100 degrees during the afternoon. Unusually high dew point temperatures will also limit the temperature drop overnight. Minimum temperatures this morning only fell into the upper 70s. Low temperatures are expected to drop into the upper 70s again by Thursday morning.

High temperature records could be threatened this afternoon and again Thursday afternoon if clouds erode and all more sunshine to aid in heating. Here are the high temperature records for today and Thursday:

SITE TODAY THURSDAY

HOUSTON 92 1954 92 1931
HOU HOBBY 93 1954 92 1947
COLLEGE STATION 95 1910 96 1910
GALVESTON 90 1885 88 2007

A strong autumn cold front will cross southeast Texas Thursday evening and cross the coastal waters Thursday night. Low temperatures Friday morning will be 10 to 15 degrees cooler than Thursday morning's low temperatures. Even cooler temperatures are expected over the weekend with low temperatures possibly falling into the upper 40s north of I-10 by Sunday morning. North to northwest winds will increase in the wake of the front. Mariners should prepare for a wind shift Thursday night and also prepare for considerably stronger winds in the wake of the front.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009

Post #7168334

I agree, Mau. I typed in Happy Birthday, BP and it went bye bye, too.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 14, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #7168399

Happy Birthday , Dyson!
It's freezing outside, the temps have dropped to 48 at noon and will be 30 tonight. The rain has stopped, but the wind still blows, though not that hard.
When I got home, a big cloud covered the sky.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 14, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #7168406

A closer look.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 14, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #7168410

This was one end...

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 14, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #7168414

...and this was the other.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #7168418

That's a beautiful series of photos, Adina!! :-)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 14, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #7168419

What is the big open field. Can that grow crops or is it not good for growing ?

Still cloudy here 46.
Going to work on a couple houses this afternoon.
Bernie

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 14, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #7168424

On the north the sky was clear, with pretty white clouds. You can see a new finished house on our street, in the front, the one with the "tower".

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #7168429

Happy birthday, Dyson!

Pretty picture, Joanna, but you can keep the snow, LOL.

As for the "change" in elevation that some of you are seeing, if the altimeter reading is based on air pressure, the reading might change a bit when fronts go through.

The furnace is making a funny noise. DH says that it is the carbon monoxide fan. He thinks that maybe rain got in to it. Always something.

Up to this point, we got 1.39 inches of rain. That is a lot for this time of year. They are calling for it to be 94F on Friday and Saturday, which I don't think is necessary.

Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on October 14, 2009
61 F
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 97%
Dew Point: 60 F
Wind: 9 mph from the SE
Pressure: 30.07 in (Rising)
Visibility: 2.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 500 ft
Overcast 1100 ft
(Above Ground Level)

some more pictures from Descanso Gardens - the Boddy House http://www.descansogardens.org/site/boddygallery.cfm

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #7168430

That cloud looks like it is full of rain, Adina.
Bernie, Adina's yard certainly grows some beautiful flowers and veggies. I imagine that field just needs a good farmer to plant it.
crazy weather everywhere, Marylyn!
Joanna, that snow makes for pretty pictures but I'm glad it isn't in my yard!

No rain so far today but no sunshine either. I have to pickup a friend at the airport so I am really glad it isn't raining!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #7168439

we crossed, Kelli. I don't think 94 is necessary for either you or Sharon or Marylyn this time of year. Nice photo of the Boddy house/.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #7168440

dining room (not my house, remember)

Thumbnail by Kelli

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 14, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #7168442

Thanks, Marylyn!
Bernie, it used to be used for crops, but not anymore, just small parts. Most of it was sold for constructions. But since the crisis stopped that , at least for this year, we thought we could use a bit of land near our house for growing more veggies next summer...since no one comes to do anything on it!LOL
More fluffy clouds.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #7168447

kitchen in the Boddy House - this is bigger than the whole apartment that I used to live in

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #7168456

Some sort of entry room, I don't know what you call it architecturally. It is beyond the foyer, but isn't a living room, dining room, etc.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #7168464

48 (Wind Chill 44) working in the yard getting pots ready to vacation in warmer climes...
Off and on Rain.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2009
5:27 PM

Post #7168468

o.k., last one for now - This is a wet bar. It is so Hollywood.

Thumbnail by Kelli

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 14, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #7168473

Mau, we crossed altogether now!LOL You must be a mind reader...you just told Bernie what I was writing...wow!
Kelli, I think we would need 94 right now!LOL Is anyone living there? So clean !Beautiful house!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #7168480

Ric, how long to you expect the plastic sheets on your greenhouse to last? In the future are you going to cover it with a more substantial material?

This message was edited Oct 14, 2009 10:37 AM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #7168487

Adina, no, no one is living in the Boddy House now, at least not as far as I know, though it is possible that a caretaker could live upstairs. The upstairs isn't open to the public.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 14, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #7168506

Kelli, just beautiful ! I'll see the website tomorrow at work.
Ric, I forgot to congratulate you for finishing the GH! Just in time.
Mau, no rain today, the wind blew away that cloud like it was a small one! And brought these ones.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #7168753

I don't have time to read, Ms. Cheerful doesn't know the alphabet apparently, but if you want to know how I drive, contact BettyPauze, seriously.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #7168855

When we had the Hoophouse up there we got 2 years/layer.
We'll be replacing in w/ Polycarbonate GH sheets as time goes on.

It's 50 (Wind Chill 45) and we've had absolutely no sun.
53 in the GH w/ just a temporary sheet of plastic across the opening.
The Porch GH is 58...

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7168881

Low 40s with no sun at all. Windchill in the mid 30s. My cat Whiskers is sitting next to me staring at me wishing I would pet him some more or feed him my lunch. LOL

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #7168948

LOL Pepper!

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #7168991

Well, it now 55 degrees and no sun just pretty cloudy and will be more raining later on tonight...

Here's what I found my sketch book which I practice on watercolor painting and see bottom of the page I paint small brown iris...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #7169094

Cute, Rusty :-)

from the internet (the places mentioned are way far north of me)

The remains of Super Typhoon Melor dumped record-breaking amounts of rain over California over the past 24 hours, but the storm is now departing the state without having caused major damage. Mining Ridge in Monterey County had an extraordinary 21.34" of rain, and several locations in Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Santa Clara counties had over 10" of precipitation. Downtown San Francisco recorded 2.49 inches of rain, which is the greatest 24 hour rainfall for the month of October (records have been kept since 1849). Monterey also set a record for the greatest October rainfall, 2.66". California was lucky this storm came early in their rainy season, since the ground was dry from a year-long drought and the soils were able to absorb a great deal of the rain. Melor's Deluge in California will be a great boon for the state, helping it to overcome one of the most severe droughts in the past 50 years.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #7169199

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes!

What ever happened to "FALL" none of the leaves have turned color (though the Black Walnut tree is constantly bombing the porch roof) and it feels like late Dec or early Jan.

COLD Rain.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #7169692

Rusty, that's a pretty little iris you painted.

Dyson, it's been a year for crazy weather all over the globe.
Adina, are you glad the rain clouds blew away or do you need the rain?
Kelli, I was just about to lament the fact that we are 21 inches over normal for our rainfall for the year until I read your post above. I can't imagine having 21 inches of rain in 24 hours!! I'm glad to know that there was no major damage and the year-long drought is broken. loving the photos of the Boddy House!

The sun tried hard to make an appearance this afternoon but never did succeed in actually showing itself. No rain today but more heading in later tonight according to the weather guy.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #7170018

Kelli thanks for the shots!
We've been there when the outside was decorated for the Holidays but could only see the inetriors thru the window and roped off front door.
GREAT looking place!

Currently 46 (Wind Chill 41)

We had a little rain this morning but I was able to work outside all day.
Got all the plants but the Brugs in from the driveway beds.
(the formerly Marcy's Brugs have dozens of buds so I didn't want to move them yet)
This includes repotting all the EE's into lighter and much smaller pots.
Also found out two of the water plants I had been wintering indoors are hardy in the pond.
As they are 6' tall that's a good thing!

Most of the Tender Tropicals are indoors now.
Most on the roof!
Our tree yuccas are now about 7' above the pot!
Good thing the Porch GH has a 9' ceiling.
About 1/3 of the back and side yard plants are inside now too.
Tommorow I'll keep dragging and repotting.
We hope to get the water feature moved indoors on Friday.
We 'may' be near freezing Sunday morning.

Usually we are scrambling to get everything in... not this year!

Robyn spent the day giving me the occasional hand and straightening up the Sewing Room.
4 months of tools and debris scattered everywhere...LOL!

Once we get all the plants in we'll start the shed.
That should only be about a week or so task.
Then we can move all the tools out there... FINALLY!

Well my rash has cleared up enough to get back into the Hot Tub.
(Seems I'm no longer sensitive to Hydrocortisone.. it really knocked it out.)
Believe me after lugging pots all day and going up and down the ladder about 3 dozen times...
Ric
bluepoppy
Landisburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2009
12:07 PM

Post #7171279

THe leaves are just turning here but up through State College and Tyrone the foliage is just beautiful...They have some kind of a tree that is vibrant orange and then mixed with the golds and yellows and reds it is just beautiful up there...Love fall but hate the cold and winter and bare trees...ALways anxious for spring...I have most everything moved but the porch is sitting full of houseplants to move in. Got the brugs in the other day...Running out of plant room. Know what I mean????
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #7171315

Ric: hope you enjoy your soak in the hot tub

a light drizzle here this morning but heavier rain to the south of us. "They" are saying the rain and clouds will move out of the state later today and we may even see some sun! Tomorrow is to be partly sunny--high in the mid-60's low in the mid-40's with the same for Saturday--looking good for our RU on Saturday! :o)))) Folks are coming from TN,MS and LA as well as from AR. The actual RU is at duckmother's house in North Little Rock but some of the out-of-towners will be staying with me. Should be fun--these folks are a laugh a minute! LOL

edited to add: we crossed, blue poppy--I know what you mean about running out of room for plants. I still have to bring in 3 potted poinsettias and one orchid but will wait until after our RU this week-end to do that.

Y'all have a good week-end! I'll be back on Sunday with a report on the weather and the RU

This message was edited Oct 15, 2009 7:24 AM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #7171611

LOL!
Running out of room w/ Plants!
We have 200 square feet of GH and 2/3rds of our plants still to come in.
BUT the 'Big Guns' are mostly in. Now we need to fill in the cracks! LOL!

Mau that sounds like PERFECT RU weather!

Leaves are changing but we may get a freeze before a frost.
Not sure how that will play out colorwise.

Ric
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 15, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #7171801

Was foggy & now a bit of freezing drizzle

High Forecast +4C or 39F
Condition: Cloudy
Temp: -3C or 26F
Wind: ESE 8 km/h or 5mph
Relative Humidity: 96%
Pressure: 102.1 kPa or 30.16 in
Dewpoint: -3.2C or 26.2F
Ceiling: 500 ft
Visibility: 2 km or 1 miles

Sunrise: 8:00AM
Sunset: 6:44PM
Daylight Hours: 10:44

Hare's Tail Grass

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 15, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #7172096

Hi, guys! It's been freezing last night...at least my car windows were frozen and I had to scratch them before I left for work. Also, the plants I still have in the garden weren't looking so happy today after freezing. It was sunny all day and it's getting warmer. I managed to pull off most of the plants in the garden...it looks so empty now...ugh!
Mau, I was happy to see the clouds blown away because we just had a whole day of rain.
I forgot to show you the spaghetti squash crop and unripe tomatoes , those of which I made pickles.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7172101

Our neighbors are having a new fence installed. It borders our yard on the west. Monty is interested but Isis wants nothing to do with the workers. She goes out, looks at them then runs back inside. She's done that about 7 times now. LOL

56.0 F with 64 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 43 F
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 30.25 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 6000 ft
Scattered Clouds 9500 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

More geese every day.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #7172493

About 45 and cloudy with the occasional mist.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #7172515

As expected, it's hot again today. Tomorrow is going to be much nicer, and it looks like it's going to be a great weekend! I'm hoping so... I have a lot of plants to move around. A friend gave me a bunch of tropical plants (gingers, mostly) and I put them in my front yard, but I've decided they really need to go in back. I have some native plants in back that will do better in front, so I'm going to be swapping things around. I'm hoping to go to a nursery, too, and pick up some alyssum and other cool weather plants to fill in my beds. Then I just need to find someone to chop down and haul away our Mexican plum tree (which is ugly and messy and doesn't fruit!) so I can get some shrubs, and the front yard will be almost ready for fall!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CDT (8 min ago)
Temperature 90 F 32 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 57%
Pressure 29.78 in 1008.5 mb
Wind Speed 12 MPH
G 23 10 kts
G 20
Wind Dir SW 220
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 98 F 37 C
Current Conditions Clear
Remarks Peak Wind: 26 kts from 230 (18:23 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 78.1F / 25.6C

Today Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Mostly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening, then a 20 percent chance of showers after midnight. Cooler. Lows in the mid 60s
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #7172965

check this out--these were in my backyard today and I was thrilled--it is a first for me!

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/MonarchButterflies?authkey=Gv1sRgCN6sk-qQ95OD9gE#

No rain this afternoon where I live, but no sun, either. It's still cloudy. Currently 60F on my backporch
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #7173000

Those photos are BEAUTIFUL, Marilyn!!! I didn't know monarchs liked C. bungeii.. I have a bunch back in my compost corner, and I've always been afraid to transplant them somewhere visible because when I posted a "what is this thread" in the plant id forum I got a lot of "EEEK! Those will eat your house! A neighbor planted them in the ground and eventually had to move!" posts. If butterflies like them, though, maybe I'll chance moving them to my shady beds where they are less likely to get out of control... Hmmm...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #7173498

Thank you, Marylyn! I would be careful where you plant the CB. It can be very invasive. I pulled mine up and what I have just came up voluntarily. I am going to pull it up as soon as it finishes blooming.

getting cooler now that the sun has gone down.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 16, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #7173766

Wow! Beautiful shots of the butterfly
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #7173818

Marilyn, isn't it fun to find a new species in the yard?

We got about 2 inches of rain yesterday. Now it is hot all of a sudden.

Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on October 15, 2009
87 F
Clear
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 59 F
Wind: 4 mph from the SE
Pressure: 29.89 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 86 F
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

I'll have this "stained glass window" to look at until the next round of Santa Ana winds.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #7173822

back to the Boddy House - living room

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2009

Post #7173824

library

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7173832

The dining room that I showed you yesterday is on the left and the far end of the kitchen is on the right. As I recall, the one-story wing at the far right is the laundry room, but that area isn't open to the public now.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #7173837

Mau those are Gorgeous Shots!

Make the high 46F and we had your weather.

More repotting done...more plants either moved in or up near the GH's.
Weshould have just enough room for everything.
Looks like sunrise Sunday and Monday we will hit freezing.
Cloudy and rain(?) again tomorrow.. though we have seen very little rain.
Sunny Saturday-next Weds... this should heat up the GH's.
Maybe 70 by Weds...

Our Brugs will go at first into the Sewing Room.
They are loaded w/ blooms!
Hopefully they won't drop them..

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #7173843

Kelli they did an AMAZING job on the interior.
Thanks again for the shots!
They are superb!

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #7173863

Thanks Ric. I don't think DH liked it that much that they remodled the kitchen. He liked the old '50s or '60s one. It had character, but the new one is prettier.

The wing with the chimney is the library. The other wing I think must have been a downstairs bedroom, like maybe a guest room.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #7173876

Ric, the house is supposed to be open now every day except Mondays (and if someone is renting it out).

This message was edited Oct 15, 2009 6:34 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #7173892

It is a beautiful Park.
The first time we went they let us in using our Cincinnati Nature Reserve and Cincinnati Zoo passes.
The gate people had both been there and to show off their park...lol!
Hope one year we get to see it at it's peak.

Funny it's 46 but Calm.
All day long we were getting
Currently 46 (Wind Chill 41) so it actually feels a lot warmer out there.

Off the the HT...BBL

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
11:57 AM

Post #7174835

Rusty I like your notebook and the iris.
Mau Have fun at the RU!
Joanna Ive never seen tail grass, very pretty.
Celia LOL at Monty and Isis! Cats are so funny.
Marylyn Were supposed to have a nice weekend, but Im still not going to hold my breath.
Mau Beautiful pics!
Kelli Im loving the tour of Boddy house and I hope you get that stained glass look for a while. Gorgeous colors.

73.8 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 68 F
Pressure: 29.74 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 74 F

Now
Through 845 am...showers and thunderstorms will continue to move across northeast Florida with the strongest activity affecting...Lake Butler... Starke...Gainesville and Sparr. Movement is east at 40 miles per hour. Occasional lightning...gusty winds and brief heavy rainfall can be expected.

Today
Mostly cloudy until late afternoon then becoming partly cloudy. Showers and thunderstorms likely in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds. Highs in the lower 80s. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

And once again ... no rain. It's cloudy though.

Peanut alley :) she's so cute

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #7175184

Keli I showed Robyn the Decanso pics she said to tell you Thanks!
I'm not sure if we have any house shots from our times there.
We were working in 35MM then... lol!
She does remember seeing a few rooms but it was wasy before the 2007 Design upgrade.
We do though remember that Art Deco fireplace screen, so that's probably original to the house.

Joanna I agree that Hare Grass is very nice!
I'll have to search that out one.

Sharon do you have another shot of those cat statues?
They look Cool!

45 (Wind Chill 41) Cloudy and Misty...
Hope some of this burns off.
I see a major snow storm has moved across northern OH and is currently hitting PA and NY.
We'll see Sunny and 70 by Weds...LOL!

Off to get more plants inside.
Freeze Monday morning.
We're in much better shape than the last few years.
Even w/ the influx of plants we wintered at work last year it appears we'll have room.

I'm hoping to have a bunch of EE's for sale come Spring.
Looks promising so far...
Also hope to have the Birdhouse/Yard Art Project well under way.
A Friend does them but she charges sometimes Hundreds of Dollars/unit.
But she's nationally known in the craft.
We'll downscale and...

Ric
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 16, 2009
3:55 PM

Post #7175593

Was -6C or 21F this morning

High Forecast +13C or 55F
Condition: Part Cloudy
Temp: -2C or 29F
Wind: ESE 11 km/h or 7mph
Relative Humidity: 82%
Pressure: 102.6 kPa or 30.31 in
Dewpoint: -4.2C or 24.4F
Ceiling: 20K ft
Visibility: 64 km or 40 miles

Sunrise: 8:01AM
Sunset: 6:42PM
Daylight Hours: 10:41

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 8:57 AM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #7175609

Crystal isn't having her procedure today. We got confused. It's only a consultation.

55.1 F with 67 for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 38 F
Pressure: 30.34 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Sunrise.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #7176046

Joanna! LOL!

I thought that was pretty fast Celia.
Fast isn't usually good w/ C.
Beautiful Sunrise!
We haven't seen the Sun in about 5 days.

About 90-95% of the plants are in now.
Probably 5 dozen pots in the new GH.
45 (Wind Chill 40) and it's 48 in the GH.
Off to untangle the last Mandevilla.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #7176443

Thanks Sharon, but half the leaves have blown away. I'm glad I took the time yesterday to look at it.

Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on October 16, 2009
94 F
Clear
Humidity: 20%
Dew Point: 47 F
Wind: 9 mph from the North
Pressure: 29.88 in (Falling)
UV: 6 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

Time lapse video of birds in my backyard this morning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9R8tQsDfHQ

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #7177293

5 hours later, hasn't cooled down any

Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on October 16, 2009
96 F
Clear
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 40 F
Wind: 17 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 21 mph
Pressure: 29.78 in (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2009

Post #7177561

36F with rain or snow showers expected through Saturday evening. Next week looks better though with sunshine and moderate temps starting Sunday.

I've been on a little autumn camping trip the past few days, doing a little photography and chilling out--with an emphasis on the "chilling".

Joey...My son was fine. I'm not sorry to see the Neon go. They are a very unsafe little car under the best of conditions and with a turbo-charged 6 cylinder and a semi-motor head driving, much worse.

ric...that's got to be rough hauling those big pots up that ladder. Maybe we can invent a "Potapult"! Something to think about while you're soaking in the tub.

bluepoppy...I just returned from camping at Parker Dam and Kettle Creek State Parks. The fall colors were spectacular!

Dyson...Oct. has been lousy here. Rain just about every day for the past couple of weeks. I have another week of vacation so I'm hoping the weather gurus are right and things improve next week.

Adina...Your veggies look scrumptious! My wife put up 48 quarts of tomatoes and we freeze a lot of other things.

Kelli...1.39 inches of rain would be a normal day here lately. I could use a 96 day if you have extras. (I'm willing to pay for shipping)

Here are a few photos from my camping trip. I went from photographing fall foliage to photographing the record snowfall.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #7177621

That last photo was taken in the Marion Brooks Natural Area. I'm not sure why it looks so soft. I'll try another. If it looks bad I'll have to go back and reedit the photos.

early_bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #7177632

Done just in time!

... FREEZE WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS ISSUED A FREEZE WATCH...

HIGH PRESSURE OF CANADIAN ORIGIN WILL BUILD INTO THE REGION SATURDAY NIGHT.
THIS WILL RESULT IN CLEARING... LIGHT WINDS... AND DRIER AIR... ALLOWING TEMPERATURES TO DROP INTO THE UPPER 20S AND LOWER 30S EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #7177633

I took the first 2 photos on Wed. morning. I took this one this morning.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #7177638

Another from this morning.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #7177643

One more...

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7177662

And finally, Kettle Creek. The light was horrible so I Photoshopped this one. I'm not sure why these are so soft. I'm using a new camera and software and they look great before I post them.

ric...For some reason your plants trying to make it unto the roof to the safety of the greenhouse brought to mind the fall of Saigon.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 8:33 PM

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #7177816

e_b these are marvelous!
Once more your eye is perfect.
Hate the subject this early in the year though...lol!

You know that is a good analogy.
Far less of a life changing event but apt.
Right now the backyard looks more like the Fall of Rome though...lol!

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #7178924

I'm having a hard time seeing this morning.
This strange light hit me a few minutes ago.
My eyes are seeing spots...
It's in the East, moving West slowly...
Oh yeah I remember... The Sun!

39 (Wind Chill 33)

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 17, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #7179454

Ric, you scared me to death! I almost believed you had something with your eyes!LOL Lovely Bougainvillea!
E_B, gorgeous pictures! Especially the last one...wow! I would love that in the DG calendar...but you'll have to enter it without the Photoshopping. Do you still have the original ?
Kelli, what a beautiful "stained glass window", wow! Poison ivy is beautiful here too these days.Beautiful shots of the house and garden.
Sharon, Pea is a sweetie!
Celia, what did the doctor say?
Mau, amasing those Monarchs! Great pics, thanks for sharing!
Joanna, that cold? LOL
It rained again today, but no wind and the temps are a bit up to 48. It stopped now and the sky was clear at sunset. Humidity was high 97%.
I took this from my car on Thursday. I thought I'd better take the camera with me and get as many pictures I can on my way. I miss the park in my old neighborhood...sigh! But I'm going there next week, so I will take pics...cross fingers for a sunny weather.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 17, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #7179464

This one is the Arch of Triumph.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 17, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #7179487

This building is a huge tipography , it was called "The Spark's House" during communism . "The Spark" was the name of the communist party's newspaper. Here they were printing almost all the newspapers in our country. Today the name has changed to "The Free Press House"...although it's just a name!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7179922

Okay, Crystal left about an hour ago. We have very good news. She does NOT have cancer. She does have abnormal cells but nothing else for now. She has one more test to have done but not for a few more weeks. It's called a colposcopy. She can keep her baby and nothing needs to be done until after she has delivers, even if they find anything concerning. The abnormal cells aren't even proof that she could later develope cancer. So...YEA!!!!!

We took her to Red Lobster to celebrate, watched a monster movie and crashed on the couch. All 3 of us! LOL

72, sunny and beautiful.

Crystal is turning into quite the outdoor photographer. These are her pics.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7179923

Okay, Crystal left about an hour ago. We have very good news. She does NOT have cancer. She does have abnormal cells but nothing else for now. She has one more test to have done but not for a few more weeks. It's called a colposcopy. She can keep her baby and nothing needs to be done until after she has delivers, even if they find anything concerning. The abnormal cells aren't even proof that she could later develope cancer. So...YEA!!!!!

We took her to Red Lobster to celebrate, watched a monster movie and crashed on the couch. All 3 of us! LOL

72, sunny and beautiful.

Crystal is turning into quite the outdoor photographer. These are her pics. Sunset near Vernal, UT.

Oops.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2009 2:08 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #7179926

Another.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #7179939

YAY! Don't worry about the duplicate. That news deserves two postings anyways.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #7179946

Near home.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #7179953

Thanks, Kelli! Still very up today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #7179956

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #7179961

From her house.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #7179967

Wild horse.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #7179971

Mule deer buck.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 17, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #7180288

That buck is a lot prettier in the picture than he would be on someones wall.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #7180760

Celia I agree! I'd say you could get away w/ 3 copies!
Tell Crystal CONGRATULATIONS Again!
And the shots are LOVELY! The first one LOVELY LOVELY... LOL!

Adina sorry if I worried you!
I'm fine. In fact just about back to normal... not that I've been normal in a LONG while... ;-)

Well we're busting at the seems but almost all the plants are in... I hope.
All the big or expensive or those w/ sentimental value anyway are anyway... LOL!
Some of the water plants we left out.
The water won't get cold enough for there to be any root damage so I'm not worried.
The vast amount of plants will dwindle quickly as they die back , get pruned or go dormant.
We've done this for enough years to know that.
By next month at the latest we'll have plenty of room.
We are whipped and the HT will certainly feel good tonight.
The HEAVY Plants went into the Porch and Sewing Room,
but I was up and down the ladder w/ smaller ones about 3 dozen times.

We got a lot of Sun today and hit 53 degrees.
Couldn't check the therm in the new GH but it was toasty at 4 PM.
It should be Freezing by morning.
THEN 10 straight days of Sun and temps in the mid/upper 60's.

Tomorrow we'll start cleaning up and decorating for Halloween.

Ric

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #7180770

Still hot today - Help yourself, E_B, and anyone else. There is plenty to go around.

Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on October 17, 2009
92 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 23%
Dew Point: 49 F
Wind: 6 mph from the NW
Pressure: 29.82 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #7180836

W/ the Sun FINALLY appearing it wasn't too bad here.
Too hot for a coat in the Sun... chilly in the shade.
We timed our work to be mostly in the Sun.
Worked east to west. By the time we 'cracked' the GH'es it was 50 or so.

Currently:
43 (Wind Chill 39) Wind: N 6 MPH

Ric
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #7180960

Good evening!

Celia, YAYY!! What wonderful news! I've had a culposcopy before. Tell her to take a couple of Tylenol before she goes, and not to be worried if she gets a little cramping and spotting.

It was a beautiful day here. The high was about 74, with a slight breeze and lots of sunshine and very little humidity. Gorgeous! I got up early (for me) this morning and went garage sale-ing, which was very fun. I bought most of the girls' Christmas presents at one house, and 3 houses later, found a little neighborhood garden club's plant sale! Yayy! I bought 3 pink turk's cap, 3 russelia, 3 butterfly weed (aka milkweed), 1 begonia, 1 impatien, a bag full of crinum bulbs, a pot of NOID lilies, another baggie of lily bulbs, 1 airplane plant, 1 beautyberry bush, and a cute little bromeliad - all for $20!

I popped into a nursery on my way home and picked up a mixed flat of alyssum and sweet little violas, and spent the afternoon and early evening working in the front garden and listening to college football games on the radio. The bunnies went in and out of the house, at their own little bunny whims, and sometimes even "helped", which was fun. :-) I finished the very front beds, and weeded the beds in the backyard (they were SUCH a mess!), but I need to go out again soon and move the tropical stuff from the front yard to the backyard, and move the... umm... I've always called it butterfly bush, but I don't think that's actually its name. I'll have to take a photo of it and ask Josephine in the Texas forum what it really is... Anyway, it's going up front. :-) I dug up and divided a bunch of daylilies, and just generally did a lot of my usual fall chores. It took a lot longer this year to get cool enough to make working out there fun again! I was covered with dirt (sorry... soil!) when I came in, but was not dripping in sweat. I did have to take some Advil for all of the stiffening muscles, though! LOL

Hopefully we'll take down the Mexican plum before the next heavy trash pick up day (November 13th), and we'll actually get part sun in a lot of our beds, instead of deep shade! Yayy! The Mexican plum is gorgeous for about 2 weeks in February when it blooms, and is a nuisance the rest of the year, so I'm glad I finally convinced Charles that it needs to go. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53pm CDT (5 min ago)
Temperature 61 F 16 C
Dew Point 51 F 11 C
Humidity 70%
Pressure 30.35 in 1027.6 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir N 350
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53pm CDT : 64.9F / 18.3C

Rest of tonight Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 50s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. East winds 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday night Mostly clear. Lows in the upper 40s. Southeast winds around 5 mph.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #7181180

Thanks, Marylyn. I'll let her know. :-)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #7181943

Celia YAY!!!! Great news about Crystal!

Ric Ill get more pics of the cats. I cant remember the type of wood they are mad eof and they are imported. A local store sells them.
Joanna LOL at Brrr in ice.
E_B You take the best pictures!
Ric Glad you got all the plants in the greenhouse before the freeze.
Adina Thanks for posting the pictures! I enjoy seeing your neck of the woods. Be sure to take your camera next weekend!
Celia Wonderful pics! She did a good job!
Bernie Im not a big fan of animal head wall art either :P
Celia- Love that pic of you and Crystal!

Ric - Here's a close up. The tallest cat is about 4' and weighs about 15lbs, they are all hand painted. I'll find out the type of wood they are made from.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2009 9:04 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #7181958

we've moved here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1049017/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America