Photo by Melody

Article: Grow plants that give glowing health: Thank you!

Communities > Forums > Article: Grow plants that give glowing health
bookmark
Forum: Article: Grow plants that give glowing healthReplies: 2, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #7158989

Dinu, I really enjoyed this article. I have used herbs for health for many years, as I have rarely had the money to pay medical practitioners but I could get herbs if needed. At a certain point I decided it was necessary and in my self-interest to educate myself as much as possible about how to maintain my health through diet and herbs... that decision has served me very well.

I love the information about Holy Basil as well, I did not know the details of the traditional use as an oxygen giver, fascinating!

I also feel it is good wherever we can to preserve traditional knowledge such as this article speaks to. So much gets lost... by generations not being interested in the knowledge of their forebears. And for other reasons too of course.

I love being able to grow herbs that are also simple remedies. I always try to grow Salvia officinalis, for instance, because a tea made from its leaves is a great defense against the onset of winter-type respiratory and viral illness... even after one gets infected, drinking cups of sage tea is strengthening and helps the body rebalance itself, I find.

This year I managed to grow some lavender plants from seed and was thrilled to have my own lavender flowers -- as many of us know the scent of lavender is soothing and balancing in effect...

The commercial exploitation of herbal remedies has for sure caused some plant populations to diminish severely, I am thinking of Goldenseal and Slippery Elm -- IMO a good herbalist pays attention to that also, and learns how to sustainably harvest wild plants, and substitutes if possible for ones that are at risk. Your point about the interdependency of birds and animals with plants is well taken therefore, because it is part of knowing how to care for Garden Earth.

thanks again!
Kyla

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2009
6:40 AM

Post #7160245

Kyla, I'm glad you found that useful. The Basil is such a useful plant! There are so many I could not add in this short article. I've missed Leucas aspera which is so commonly grown - as weeds! Juice from its leaves rubbed on the chest and throat relieves chest congestion. For babies, just a few drops internally will bring all the phlegm out and comforts the baby!

Dinu
Kylaluaz
Clinton, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #7163166

Yes, I know, it's hard when you know such a good natural remedy and cannot get to it any longer for whatever reason.

Fortunately, at least as far as I have been able to tell, every climate where people live has varieties that do similar functions... so the herbs of one location can be, not duplicated, but their effects produced with other plants available. It seems that is so, to me.

As you can see this is a very scientifically sound opinion, based on rigorous research and testing. LOL!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Grow plants that give glowing health Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
As always good information LouC 5 Oct 12, 2009 3:10 PM
namaskar... pejiduta8 7 Oct 14, 2009 3:18 PM
good to see you in the writers' spot. gloria125 1 Oct 11, 2009 4:14 PM
Fact-checking Fail Mishal 5 Oct 16, 2009 2:19 AM
Very nice intro garden_mermaid 1 Oct 12, 2009 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America