Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Canning and preserving: Not just fruits and vegetables: empty spaces!

Communities > Forums > Article: Canning and preserving: Not just fruits and vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Article: Canning and preserving: Not just fruits and vegetablesReplies: 4, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 12, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #7159142

How pretty are all your filled canned jars are! I took get great pleasure looking at yours and then I went and looked so proudly at mine.

I reluctantly opened two jars of green beans just this weekend to eat with chicken and dumplings (they go together ya know). Now my shelf has two empty spaces, very sad!

But then, I still have 10 boxes of sweet potatoes left to can, no hurry, I have a couple of months to work on them. Still all the green beans filled that one shelf, and now 2 are gone.

I must be the kind of person that sees the glass half empty!

I know about the smells going up the stairs too. My son and daughter know before me (and I am right in the kitchen) when something is burning, or if the baked bread is done, and anything cinnamon seems to get them down the stairs when nothing else will.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #7161042

Hi Liquidambar2,

Have you ever tried dilly beans? They taste just like dill pickles, only without the cucumber. I'm glad you had a good canning season!

We don't grow sweet potatoes, but it's a thought I should consider.

TC
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 12, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #7161488

I bought some dilled greenbeans from WalMart one Thanksgiving. My mother was crazy about them. She had me go back and buy her some for a church dinner.

I have not seen them since to buy though!?

What do you do to make them?
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #7166132

Ummm...remember what I wrote in my article? I'm no good in the kitchen, so I don't do nothin to make anything. ;~P

However, I can ask my wife and let you know.

TC
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 14, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7166284

Yes, I do remember you slinking off upstairs- hehehe - to advoid smells that waffle straight up!
Never mind!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Canning and preserving: Not just fruits and vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Good Read Adaylilyfan 1 Oct 12, 2009 3:07 PM
Hey TC plantnutz 1 Oct 12, 2009 3:06 PM
Yay kraut! Cybrczch 2 Oct 12, 2009 3:02 PM
first rain of the year ling_ling 1 Oct 16, 2009 12:19 AM
mustang grape hgausbrooks 1 Oct 16, 2009 12:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America