Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Canning and preserving: Not just fruits and vegetables: Yay kraut!

Communities > Forums > Article: Canning and preserving: Not just fruits and vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Article: Canning and preserving: Not just fruits and vegetablesReplies: 2, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
12:52 AM

Post #7159331

Made my first sauerkraut this year too. Unlike my mom, who had access to a crock and lots of home grown cabbage, I had to make it in the jar, and the only cabbage of mine that produced was the savoy cabbage. Not sure how it's going to turn out...
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 12, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7159545

Cybrezch,
Not to gross you out, but I made sauerkraut many years ago in a great big crock. I put it on the back porch since I could not stand it in the kitchen and I had no basement.
My son had just started potty training. He was playing on his tricycle on the back porch, when he ran over to the crock lifted up the lid, pulled down the front of his trainers, well I did not get sauerkraut that year, and I think putting it in jars has to be cleaner and safer.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #7161033

Cybrezch, good luck with your cabbage. My wife makes hers in the jar too.

Liquidambar2: My goodness! what made the little feller go and do that? Do you think the aroma brought on a bladder reactive state?

Thank y'all for readin my article!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Canning and preserving: Not just fruits and vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Good Read Adaylilyfan 1 Oct 12, 2009 3:07 PM
Hey TC plantnutz 1 Oct 12, 2009 3:06 PM
empty spaces! Liquidambar2 4 Oct 14, 2009 12:06 AM
first rain of the year ling_ling 1 Oct 16, 2009 12:19 AM
mustang grape hgausbrooks 1 Oct 16, 2009 12:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America