Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Bringing Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) bulbs out of dormancy: H. papilio

Communities > Forums > Article: Bringing Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) bulbs out of dormancy
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bringing Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) bulbs out of dormancyReplies: 2, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
spete
Marlow, OK
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2009
11:48 AM

Post #7160508

How do you bring this variety into bloom? I have had one for years that has never bloomed. I treat it like the other amarylis, but bring it in in the winter. What does it need for bloom?
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #7161299

I really don't know. I've had mine almost 2 years now and it hasn't bloomed yet. You might try posting your question on the Amaryllis forum as there are some real experts there.

Sue
fotofashion
Dayton, TX

October 12, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #7162607

I guess I cannot really be of much help because I live in zone 9A, Texas Gulf Coast near Houston. In our climate, amaryllis are planted outside permanently and bloom in April or so as a matter of course, including Papilio. Maybe it resents being moved or it is not getting enough cold or warmth. Fertilizer? One problem I have every spring is a type of rust that infects the leaves as they emerge. I have to spray with physan or I will not get flowers.
This September, to my astonishment, one of my Amaryllis (San Remo) bloomed as though it were spring. We have had a strange summer this year that some of us feel was due to hurricane Ike. Anyway, if it were me and I had to battle so much to get something to bloom, I would stick with something that does bloom in my climate. That is why I don't mess with tulips, hyacinths and most daffodils. Too much bother.
Beverly A.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bringing Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) bulbs out of dormancy Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Informative and timely: thank you! pirl 0 Oct 12, 2009 10:57 AM
Thank you plmbzmom 0 Oct 12, 2009 12:16 PM
Great review! Ladybee99 0 Oct 12, 2009 2:44 PM
Much appreciated! susie7488 0 Oct 12, 2009 2:44 PM
Must go and dust off the sleeping Amaryllis!! binibusybee 0 Oct 12, 2009 3:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America