Photo by Melody

Article: The Acorn, In a Nutshell: Oh, those acorns!

Communities > Forums > Article: The Acorn, In a Nutshell
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Acorn, In a NutshellReplies: 6, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
beachwoman
South Kingstown, RI
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #7160615

Upon seeing an article on acorns, I had to read it right away and did enjoy the positive slant you give to those same acorns my family and I are starting to dread! Our oak tree, although beautiful and a perfect spot for observing wildlife, has become an object of great frustration. Sitting on the edge of a small front yard, this once highly treasured "mighty oak" has grown so large that it shades the entire front yard, preventing sun from shining through windows and onto flowerbeds. Acorns, tiny oaks, and squirrels abound and threaten to ruin the small front lawn. Despite all this, the thought of cutting it down is a sad one ... one we keep "putting off until next year." Thanks for an interesting article with great quotes. Enjoy your retirement!!

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #7160636

My mom would sympathize with you--a black walnut tree (which my father adores) drives her to distraction every year as it and the squirrels scatter the nuts everywhere.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 12, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #7160835

beachwoman;
I planted a red oak when I first moved to my new place 5 years ago. I thought I would just plant a few oaks and not landscape. Haaaa!!! That was very wrong thinking - of course I will landscape, and garden as soon a I got a minute to do it!.

Now the red oak is a real pretty thing, it has grown at least 12 feet high, and I told my husband to cut it down this year, because it is near my garden, thornless blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberrries. I asked him to do it yesterday and he refused. I did not know he valued life so much, and I am sorry he values that tree.

He better be valuing my life though because that treee is going if I have to cut it limb by limb with a steak knife!

Okay, I do feel guilty for planting that young tree and it growing so well and is so pretty, but it can't stay!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 14, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #7166731

This evening my parents in their 80's came over for an evening meal of chili, and a desert of my husband's raspberries he grew this summer. After super, my father always goes out to look over all our cows, and I took my mother to see all the blackberries (her favorite).
As soon as she gets back to the blackberries what does she say "Oh nice blackberres, what kind are they" NO- SHE DID NOT. She said", Oh my, what a pretty little tree". Talking about the tree I plan to cut down with a steak knife if my husband doesn't do it this winter.

Three hours later, in the dark of night, way past her bed time, she calls me and says," That is such a pretty tree, by the time it gets big enough you will have those blackberries either gone or moved. If I were you, I would not cut down that tree."

My husband says - because he is grinning from ear to ear as he listened in "It is the national tree, you know!"

My mother then told me about her first home,(not the first time, but I like to her anyway). They built a house right in the middle of a grove of white oak trees, not too far from a branch called White Oak Branch (wonder why they called it that?) She said my father did not cut a one down, and they even had one touching the back porch. She said they nailed the mail box right on one of the white oaks that was next to the road. ,it was their first home, and she did not ever think she could have been happier.

Okay, but getting back to this oak in my yard - it is close to the garden. I know it will suck the water, and the nutrients out of everything around. Hmmm, well maybe it is a pin oak, not a red oak.
And I g- g- g- guess it will be staying.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2009 9:49 PM
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 14, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #7166791

Well
At
LEAST
IT IS
NOT a
Black Walnut
Gardeningman
Kingman, KS

October 9, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9300710

Hey, Liquidambar2? I don't know if you will see this, but is that oak tree still there? Just wondering. I just planted a bur oak seedling (about 6" tall) in my front yard, but I wonder if it is a good choice, since bur oaks can reach up to 80 feet across. Well, if I decide to keep it there, I may have to switch my mums out for hostas some day in the future. But bur oaks are slow growing, so it may not be an issue for some time to come if I decide to keep it.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 9, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9301014

Hi Gareningman;
Yes , yes I am still here. And yes the red oak is still back there, in the yard about 150 feet from the house. . It grew fast, but now it seems to have slowed down,so by the time it gets big - I will be too old to want to pick blackberries -- I think??? Yes, pretty sure that may be the case.

I have three water maples,and a blue spruce that I think will give me greater trouble than the oak. I wish that at least the blue spruce was gone. They are so pretty young and so ugly when they are older.
Bur oak - do they have big acorns?
Just think - if the world goes to pot --- maybe you can grind them up into a flour and eat them?
Are acorns eatible, Or do you have to run them through water or something?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Acorn, In a Nutshell Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Always had a 'thing' for oaks SouthernGal 1 Oct 12, 2009 1:35 PM
The acorn, in a nutshell garden_geezer 5 Oct 13, 2009 3:40 AM
another bit of 'wisdom' ratlover1 2 Oct 12, 2009 11:54 PM
I didn't know that ! taynors 2 Oct 13, 2009 12:23 PM
The ecological and survival significanc Michaeljerusale 0 Oct 14, 2009 11:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America