Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Acorn, In a Nutshell: Always had a 'thing' for oaks

Communities > Forums > Article: The Acorn, In a Nutshell
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Acorn, In a NutshellReplies: 1, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SouthernGal
Naples, FL

October 12, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #7160726

Interesting. I have always had a 'thing' for oaks and now I have learned even more. My youngest attends Elon Univ. in NC. I believe their name means oak. When the students enter Elon, they receive an acorn to symbolize the beginning of their college careers. When students graduate they each receive a Shumond oak sapling symbolizing the growth students have experienced during their time at Elon as well as the growth that they are sure to experience in years to come. Everything at Elon is about oaks and acorns. It is wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #7160750

What a nice tradition!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Acorn, In a Nutshell Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Oh, those acorns! beachwoman 6 Oct 9, 2012 6:05 PM
The acorn, in a nutshell garden_geezer 5 Oct 13, 2009 3:40 AM
another bit of 'wisdom' ratlover1 2 Oct 12, 2009 11:54 PM
I didn't know that ! taynors 2 Oct 13, 2009 12:23 PM
The ecological and survival significanc Michaeljerusale 0 Oct 14, 2009 11:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America