Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Milkweeds: which one's for your garden?: Houston Mildweed

Communities > Forums > Article: Milkweeds: which one's for your garden?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Milkweeds: which one's for your garden?Replies: 2, Views: 29
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LeslieT
Bellaire, TX

October 12, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #7160764

The only member of this family with which I've had success here is Mexican Milkweed (A. curassavica) which is, more or less, perennial for me. Yes, it seeds here and there, but is easy to remove (I'm usually quite tender-hearted about removing them). In our recent mild winters, the plant has continued to bloom off and on. Some of these plants branch well naturally; others don't and are quite leggy. Pinching helps, but sometimes the branch and even the plant simply dies after pruning. They will be covered with nasty, yellow aphids, but these particular aphids haven't moved to any of my other plants so I leave them alone. Predators eat many of them. Some of the branching Mexican Milkweeds have been moved successfully; others died immediately. If you want Monarchs, you need to plant them. I find I don't mind the legginess given all the Monarchs I have year-round in my garden.
Leslie
TXBay
Palacios, TX

October 12, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #7160907

I really enjoyed your post. Thanks!
Since moving to Texas from the north, my husband and I have tried seeds of all the familiar northern milkweeds and we failed to get any started. But we did pick up a few Mexican milkweed plants at our local nursery and now we have Monarchs galore. Some migrate through our butterfly garden going north and others stick around 'til the new year. We've learned which nectar plants bloom all winter and we can show visitors all the stages of the Monarch's life.
TXBay

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #7163479

Great to hear the texas view of this. I think you get many more Monarchs than we do on the East Coast.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Milkweeds: which one's for your garden? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks for milkweed info pajaritomt 9 Oct 14, 2009 12:27 AM
So Much to learn about Milkweed GardenDetectives 7 Oct 18, 2009 6:30 AM
Aphids on asclepias polsnickerty 4 Oct 13, 2009 6:29 PM
Common milkweed: pinch back and grow in RudysTreeFarm 4 Oct 27, 2009 8:35 PM
Non-seedpod producing Butterfly Weed Plant PeeOknee 4 Oct 13, 2009 6:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America