Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Milkweeds: which one's for your garden?: Aphids on asclepias

Communities > Forums > Article: Milkweeds: which one's for your garden?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Milkweeds: which one's for your garden?Replies: 4, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
polsnickerty
Dickinson, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #7160942

This summer all of my asclepias were covered by those nasty aphids. How do I get rid of them without harming the caterpillars. Hosing off with water did not help, btw.
cmossx
El Cajon, CA

October 12, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #7161457

Same here, but I've found that aphids don't seem to hurt the plants so I ignore them.
dirt_digger
Longwood, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #7162926

I was devastated when aphids covered all my Asclepias curassavica that I was growing for my monarchs when I first started butterfly gardening. I could squash them by hand -- turning orange -- but what if I was destroying monarch eggs? I tried purchasing lady bugs -- but we now know that the ones purchased are not necessarily the ones that will stay. Give nature a chance -- now whenever a severe aphid infection happens, I see lots of lady bugs and dragons. It may take a little while, and it is hard to wait that little while, but then the aphid infestation is gone. Gotta love Mother Nature! (of course I am writing about organic control)
NordicFletch
Stanchfield, MN

October 13, 2009
6:53 AM

Post #7163897

I agree, let Nature take care of the aphids. I have rarely seen a lot of aphids on any of the milkweeds in my area, possibly because they are growing "wild" and are therefor somehow better protected by Nature's own pest-control services. I have to admit, my beans and corn were absolutely infested with aphids -- until the ladybeetles moved in!

Most milkweeds are able to withstand aphids, because of their latex-laced sap, but you may want to look into what else might be luring those tiny sap-suckers to your garden.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #7165276

I have several aphid coated stems on milkweed out there right now too. One responder recommends that you continue to wash them off with water or very dilute soapy water, if they bother you. I leave them alone; I have way more A syriaca than I can use anyway.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Milkweeds: which one's for your garden? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks for milkweed info pajaritomt 9 Oct 14, 2009 12:27 AM
So Much to learn about Milkweed GardenDetectives 7 Oct 18, 2009 6:30 AM
Houston Mildweed LeslieT 2 Oct 13, 2009 2:56 AM
Common milkweed: pinch back and grow in RudysTreeFarm 4 Oct 27, 2009 8:35 PM
Non-seedpod producing Butterfly Weed Plant PeeOknee 4 Oct 13, 2009 6:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America