Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Bringing Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) bulbs out of dormancy: Must go and dust off the sleeping Amaryllis!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Bringing Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) bulbs out of dormancy
bookmark
Forum: Article: Bringing Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) bulbs out of dormancyReplies: 0, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #7161026

I have an amaryllis that has been going for about 4 years now. Last year I repotted it for the first time. After the flowers have dried ( they look quite striking when dried up too!) I stop watering and leave the leaves to dry up too. At that stage I put the pot in a dark spot in the cellar until I remember to haul it out - the lack of vegetation outside normally prompts me to remember the potted miracle waiting patiently in the dark. In fact your article has just jolted my memory - perhaps we'll have some flowers for christmas!

We used to have a lovely big patch of Amaryllis in our garden in Zimbabwe (Africa). They just kept going all year round - the occasional light winter frost did not seem to affect them much. I don't remember their flowering habits but seem to recall that they did have show of flowers at a particular time - probably after 'winter', which is the dry time of year and most plants get a new start with the rain and the heat returning around November.

So, give your bulbs a second chance - they deserve it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Bringing Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) bulbs out of dormancy Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Informative and timely: thank you! pirl 0 Oct 12, 2009 10:57 AM
H. papilio spete 2 Oct 12, 2009 10:53 PM
Thank you plmbzmom 0 Oct 12, 2009 12:16 PM
Great review! Ladybee99 0 Oct 12, 2009 2:44 PM
Much appreciated! susie7488 0 Oct 12, 2009 2:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America