-
AuthorContent
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #7162288

How early can seeds from peppers be saved?

Usually, I wait until the fruit has dried or mostly dried, but this year's weather leaves me with plump, firm, red, peppers on the plants. Temperatures remain in the 40s for highs, around 32 for lows, and we had snow a couple of days back.

Can I harvest and air-dry them and still expect viable seeds?
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

October 12, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #7162297

Could you possibly transfer your plant to a 5 gallon bucket and bring inside to finish ripening the seeds?
RussMartin4154
Omaha, NE
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #7162469

Wish I'd thought of that, mittsy, although it would have been 19 plants, or 11 if I ignored the duplicates.

I just don't know at what point in maturation the seeds become viable.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 12, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #7162609

Leave them for while. We have lots of hot peppers, although we buy our seed. We plant in a different area every year. Every year pepper plants pop up where we had them the year before.
A few years ago we had some Thai Hot Dragon plants. We pull them up & sell the dried plants. The next spring we could not find seed of them, so we took one pepper off one of those plants. We got about 40 plants. Not one of them looked like Thai Hot. But they were some of the best peppers we ever raised. Each plant was different, so we sold a mix of them we called Super Fire Mix. Of course the next summer people came looking for them again! We can't duplicate it.
Bernie

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #7181392

I've never saved pepper seeds. Do they have to be fermented like tomato seeds? Or do you just wait until they are very, very ripe, and then dry them?

I need to go look up my peppers to find out which were hybrids and which are OP.

Angie
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #7184912

Just gut the peppers onto a paper plate or coffee filter. The paper breathes and helps draw out the moisture. As they dry, I help them come off the core because it takes forever for that to dry. After a few days they'll be ready to bag up. If you want to save seeds from something very small like Tepin, just dry the whole ones and plant them. I keep one over winter and just push a few pods into the soil with their mama and they come up when they're ready.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #7223494

As long as a pepper is ripe, the seeds will be viable. They do not have to be over-ripe. In fact, some pepper experts suggest harvesting seed peppers at peak ripeness instead of past. Either way will work though. As long as the pepper has changed to its final ripe color, you'll be fine and your seeds will be mature.
mittsy
Cocoa Beach, FL
(Zone 11)

October 31, 2009
9:11 AM

Post #7226549

Thanks Melody for the info, that's good to know!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #7276640

The only problem I have ever had with saving pepper seeds is that they never come back true. I only grow O/P heirlooms but they X pollinate readily. Right now I have purple Jal planted next to some N african varity that is red. Some of the purple Jal. are red and some of the African reds have purple on them. I'm planning on saving some seeds from both to see what each one grows back as, because genetically they should be the same.
Lisa

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America