Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Hackberry Trees, etc. #8

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 204, Views: 906
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #7162917

Talking about fall gardens, and crazy pets and life in the far north, the far south, and somewhere in between.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037317/

Charlie, please bring your last few pictures over to our new thread...expecially that of your starving kitty...

This message was edited Nov 6, 2009 9:53 AM
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
5:03 AM

Post #7163794

Thanks Sharon.
calico aster:

Thumbnail by SunnyBorders
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
5:04 AM

Post #7163798

Looking north (gdn #2).

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
5:07 AM

Post #7163802

Buddy:
"Got anything else to eat?"

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
5:12 AM

Post #7163807

Resting between meals.
Carpet not very clean?
This is his chosen spot to bring up a meal.
When he exits this world, new carpeting will be his memorial.

Had better get to bed.
Nite Sharon.

(picture follows)

This message was edited Oct 13, 2009 1:14 AM
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #7163812

Buddy and carpet:

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
5:36 AM

Post #7163832

That is one cool happy cat, Charlie.
You need to keep him, because you'll miss him when he's gone.

Nice day here today, beautiful weather in the mid to upper 70's.
My kind of day, but I think we are headed for rain tomorrow.

I hope we didn't lose Christi when we changed threads...
Guess she is very happy to be home again. Hope she got those puppies all cleaned up.

You all have a good evening, I'll see you tomorrow.

Christi...do I need to start now sending you maps to Kentucky?

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #7164407

Well, not just yet. It is raining here for the 12th day in a row. Very dark at almost 9AM. Just as I thought, the brugs are blooming like crazy. Hard to get a good luck with all the rain. We have a leak in the family room (sunroom where I am now) that only shows up now and then. Hasn't leaked all this month and today...it is leaking. Towels everywhere. We had a good bit of rain while on the trip but the sun peaked through part of every day.
Heard on the tv that we are 6 inches above normal and it is still raining. Now that is at the airport some 50 miles from here. Often they report a trace when we have had an inch. Our rain gauge only goes to 5 inches and it has been emptied several times and fills right back to the top. Dark and dreary, may have to go back to bed for a bit. Still tired from the two days in the car. Didn't help the ladder that runs along my spine now either.

My cousin came by and stayed 4 hours yesterday. Soon after she left my next door neighbor (Becky) came and stayed a couple of hours. Mike was cooking shredded chicken dish so we invited she and Gregg for a bite. We have all missed each other.
I am blessed.

Christi

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #7164526

Christi,
Do your leaves change colors? I can't remember. Ours do, but haven't yet. Not sure why that is, since usually by now we have lots of color. I can see one that might have a hint of gold in its leaves, but not all that close to me. I have one red and one yellow maple in my front yard. They form a sort of canopy over the driveway. Well, they did, until we had the Ice Storm of the Century last winter. Now they barely touch hands in a few places. Anyway, it is a glorious sight when they are in full color. But not yet...maybe soon. Last year the yellow one dropped its leaves all at once...goodness, I wanted to go outside and rolll around in them.

So it's still pretty green and is to be cooler today, somewhere in the 50's. I don't mind cool weather, but I would like to see some color.

You all have a great day, we'll talk tonight.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #7164715

We look like the first breathe of spring here. Guess it is the continuous rain. Everything is green, green, green. Trees haven't changed color nor dropped a leaf. The tropicals are really enjoying the rain and those that bloom...are blooming. Temps are hovering in the 60's. My greenhouse is soaked where the water has been standing all around it. Need a week to dry out so I can rearrange and get some of the tropicals potted and put inside. This is not usual. Even the birds are hiding somewhere, no one at the feeders.

Got to get myself up and going. These clothes are not going to launder themselves.

Later,

Christi
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #7165844

Christi,

Bet you're still tired from trip.

Getting a fair bit of rain too, but not as much as you.
Also have a leak problem to get fixed, in basement (from metal rods that went through concrete). Not a big problem, but contractor found mould in the insulation: a bigger matter to fix. Not so bad, however, because the basement is not finished. As others have said, a house is a money sink hole. Still it's better than renting.

Nice to have Becky over. Catch up on news.

Sharon, sure you'll get colour. It's been slow here as well.

Good gardening weather here too, but a bit colder. Been some frost at night
(unusually early). Bit of a rush to cut stuff back and plant bulbs. Haven't even bought all of the latter.

Going to Town Council meeting tonight. Back tomorrow.

Charlie
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #7172950

Hi Both,
Sure all busy.

Got blood etc. work done for upcoming routine annual medical test this morning. No food, and more to the point, coffee, for the twelve hours before.
Think Christi was saying that it is not etiquette to use capital letters, so it was all I could do to not put the word coffee, above, in capitals. Love coffee (much more than booze, or even Austrian tortes).

Quite cold here: several degrees above freezing point. Will be warmer next week. In getting Carol an indoor birthday plant, discovered a large new garden centre (Terra), with bulbs 30% off and perennials 70% off (latter including new and recent varieties of Echinacea)!

Off for a walk. Will try to get in better physical shape before the doctor sees me in November. Mothers of my Mum's generation used to say to kids, "If you don't have clean underwear and you have an accident, I won't come to hospital to see you". Now it's weight, not underwear, that bother me!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #7173128

I fully understand the weight part, Charlie. Went to the doc in June and he put on me on a new med. Went back two weeks ago and didn't need him to tell me that I had gained 20 pounds! We have dropped the miracle drug and changed to something else. I am on a "cut back"---no red meat diet of my own making. Have already dropped 5 pounds. At 5 feet nothing that is an enormous amount of weight.

It is ok to use CAPITAL letters when you want to make a point in that we lack inflection. Just not the entire message. When I have to go without COFFEE in the mornings I actually do scream coffee. hahaha. (see, no way to let you know this is light hearted) Many people use: LOL = laugh out loud or ROFLOL = rolling on floor laughing out loud

Christi
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #7173629

Christi,
Good work on the 5 pounds.

I'm lucky in not eating red meat: my problem is a sweet tooth and bread type things. Watching what one eats is a full time occupation!

Like you, don't like taking pharmaceuticals unless have to. Usually don't need or take the arthritis medication.

Carol's actual birthday is tomorrow: going to a place she likes for a few martinis and a light lunch. On Saturday, being taken out for breakfast by neighbour friends and in evening going with friends to the old inn I mentioned. Bit heavy on the food! Our evening friends are really into healthy eating and exercise, which at least is good.

I thought you liked coffee from what you were saying about your holiday.
Was brought up to tea, when young. Much prefer coffee now. Find tea in the morning is too hard on the stomach.

Thanks for the info re capitals and alternatives. I'm taking it that if a person writes LOL, they're saying that they are laughing out loud, not telling the reader to laugh out loud. Latter would be a bit presumptious!

Intending to watch Fringe tonight, a kind of modern version of a sci-fi series.
Beginning to think the show may be taking some license with physics, but it's quite action packed. Still saying how much we enjoyed Julia and Julie.
We had read criticism of the Julie actress' performance, but thought it was quite good. Meryl Streep (sp?) was fantastic.

Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #7173747

Not posting much these days because I am tired, and when I am tired, I am very boring. And I hate boring. But the weather is chilly, mid 50's and I am shivering most of the time.

I have a feeling this will be a long boring winter.

I can't identify well with your talk of eating. It isn't something I think about much. I do enjoy soups at this time of year, and often love breads. Pretty yucky to eat alone though, so maybe that's it. But then I have never been a very big eater, so now I'm really not. I do enjoy seafood, however...and try to eat a lot of that.

And Meryl Streep is always fantastic, isn't she?

I still have not brought all my houseplants inside. Goodness, they are bigger than I am, and it isn't easy dragging and shoving them around. I thought about getting little halters and harnesses for the cats, see if they could mush like the Eskimo dogs pulling a sled, but dont think that'll happen. I should have put the plants on wheels years ago...I think about it this time of year, then forget it the rest of the time.

I rarely use those little symbols for emotions...like LOL...I can't ever remember them.
Senility.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #7174079

I don't really care much for the symbols. Me thinks it comes from the text-ing people.

Happy Birthday to your lady, Charlie.

Just came in from a Bible study class. Still trying to deal with the loss of my grandson.
Six months yesterday. Told you, Sharon, I will be better when I quit acknowledging how many days...not there yet.

Good night all.

Christi
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #7174158

Good night, Christi...
Nite Charlie,
And Happy Birthday, Carol.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #7174234

Nite Christi,

Keep working at it. You'll be fine. You've got family, pets and friends who need you. And you see things with an interesting eye for detail.

Thanks, passing the greetings on.

Hi Sharon,

You're so lucky you've never been a big eater. I think they call it self-discipline.

For me at least, 'tired' means trying to do too much. For me again, 'much' means spending excessive time at a few things. I just couldn't do all the things you set yourself to do.

'Plants on wheels': I too have complained that members of the Kingdom Plantae don't have mobility. Mind you even if they did have legs, plants would be unlikely to follow instructions. Don't think the cats would make good huskies. Know from past experience that when we tried to walk three cats on leashes, they all insisted in going in different directions.

Know what you're saying about plants in heavy containers though, as have just had to empty large pots of dead annuals at several gardens.

Boring, Sharon. You! That'll will be the day. I just heard, re here, that we're in for a record breaking cold winter. Oh well. Lots of junk to sort out, in the house, anyway and think need a break from gardening.

Off to bed,
Nite, Charlie
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #7174241

Thanks Sharon,
Will pass the greeting on.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #7181349

Been MIA, but my son and grandson are here visiting, so I have been quite busy. Here is my little guy trying to find a leaf that is not green. No luck.

He's wearing my jacket, by the way...he was pretty proud of that.
Thinks that makes him grown up. Ha...

You all have a great rest of the weekend, I'll be back tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Sharran

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #7181393

Have fun, Sharon.
Love the picture of the young guy.
Wearing the jacket: quite the sophisticate!
Will talk tomorrow.
Charlie
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #7184098

Hi Sharon and Christi,
Been "making merry".
Carol's birthday (part 1) was diner at Tim's and Julia and Julie film.
Part 2: actual day: martinis and lunch at Cachet.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #7184105

Buddy's gift:

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #7184110

Saturday: Part 3.
Breakfast at Jonathan's with friends.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #7184119

Saturday: Part 4: Diner at Hogan's with friends.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #7184188

Not bad. Eh?
Though maybe a bit heavy on the food.
Watching diets today.

Got warmer again: lots of gardening to do, also clearing the basement walls for reinsulation, etc. Lots of junk in basement. Tim's contribution is a lot of old technology. I just counted 23 telephones (going back to the 1920s). And there's film projectors, carpet cleaners (oldest must be about 1900), duplicating machines (one is certainly 1920s), train lanterns, etc. Must say I have a fair bit of family stuff too. Recently came across zeppelin insurance (i.e. getting bombed by one) from 1915! Lots to do.

Charlie
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2009

Post #7184190

How perfect, Charlie. Did you arrange all these wonderful get-togethers with your friends?
Carol is a very lucky lady...

Christi
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #7184209

Christi,
Carol did the same for me. Like to think what goes around, comes around.
We know some very nice people (including you and Sharon!).
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7184220

She is indeed a very lucky lady. And Charlie...if I am not mistaken, you look as if you are having a pretty happy time as well...that better be you with that wonderful smile, surely I'm not mistaken!

My birthday's in November, maybe we could all get together down here for it...whattya say? I need some smiles like that!

What great photos, what great parties!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2009

Post #7184225

How sweet and wonderful. Afraid we tend to ignore birthdays. Long time habit.

Sharon my birthday is Oct..23. Not far away.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2009 8:30 PM
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 19, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #7184584

Sharron. Mother Winter here. I just spent the day on a gardening sabbatical. I did ironing, and cooked for about 4 hours. I have a full week starting tomorrow with weather in the high 80s. Hurricane in Pacific may bring rain later in the week but I have been here since 1960 so bite me. I do not believe we will get a drop. I cooked vegetables, pork briskets and salmon patties. Also brown rice and black buffalo barley, which had to simmer for two hours because I do not have a pressure cooker. The Black Buffalo Barley is delicious and mixes well with many rices and vegetables. Very nutty and chewy. What you need to do young lady is plan a menu to cook on your day off, if you have one. I did so today. Our whole menu is cooked except for the salads. Of course you need to have a go with the flow husband like I have or be by yourself. Get a great one person place setting including a great wine glass. I got one for my mother when my father died. She set it out every night. It made her feel special at her table. Unfortunately, when mother died I went to the house to get the place setting and it was gone. I wanted to use it on special occasions but I think the house keeper took it and I did not want a battle anything at that moment. Take care of yourself. How is the new job going? Hope you are having fun. I will D-Mail you. I am really behind on two sisters but will probably catch up in two weeks. Had too many lives out of order. But we are fine. I left when the two old lovers were walking down the beach to discuss how they were going to tell their daughter. I love it and when we returned from Maui, everything got out of whack. Just take care of yourself because you are needed. Big Hug and Angels heading your way.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2009
3:06 AM

Post #7184616

Sharon...how great to see you here!!! It's about time I heard from you, thank you.

Now your menu sounds wonderful for a meat eater, so I'll have to whittle it down to fit me, trust me, too, I do have some elegant settings and occasionally I drag them out, dust them off, and use them, but now that you mention it, I'll do it more often.

So good to have you here. Folks, Mother Winter...(another Sharon) and I have been passing hugs back and forth for a while now. Both of us stay so busy we don't often linger, but it's for sure we think about each other every day. We even have grandsons named Ethan...speaking of, here he is today.

Thanks, Sharon...please come back and visit. Hugs and Angels back.

OOPS..hope I didn't already post this photo, too late now...

Thumbnail by Sharran

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #7184656

Certainly was having a pretty happy time, Sharon.

Couple, we were with, are among our oldest friends: both retired teachers.
Kathy is a human dynamo who starts her day making a list of things she intends to accomplish. I think the ancient Pythagoreans, in Italy, did the same. Like Kathy, Tod is an artist. Currently he's doing pinhole camera (makes his own equipment) photography at historic sites. Most recently he took pictures at Harper's Ferry, at locations to represent various events. He always does detailed historical research, War of 1812, U.S Civil War, etc., as well as the research into this type of historical photography.

If we lived closer, we'd certainly want to take you out Sharon , and Christi.
Birthdays can be a great excuse for a party. Think holidays (like Christi's recent one) are also very entertaining occasions. From your marina and roundup pictures, Sharon, I'd certainly say you're quite a sociable being yourself!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
3:20 AM

Post #7184678

Great picture of Ethan, Sharon.
'The thinker' or is he watching TV?
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 19, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #7184733

Sharron, the majority of my menu was vegan some what. The Barley was to die for, i will send you a package, along with a few bulbs. Blue or not maybe not blue but they will blend in and give you a great big hug... . Hope all is well, D-Mail me.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2009
3:56 AM

Post #7184802

Ethan was 'reading' DG, Charlie...
Actually he was looking at wildlife photos.

Quite possibly Rodin's The Thinker, too.

Thank you, Sharon...I'll d mail you...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #7189011

Ahhhhhhh, an empty room...where are you???

It was a great day here, sunny and about 60, so beautiful. I even found a tree that was very nearly yellow.

Worked at the shop all afternoon...turning things around to include Halloween, though I don't like Halloween. Even so, it looks pretty good.

I hope your silence does not mean that anyone is ill...

Be well, maybe we'll talk tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Sharran

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #7190263

Hi Sharon,
No. Busy, but need to take more breaks.
Clearing up deadline, before bulb planting deadline.

Really interesting to see you in action, in shop.

May know what you mean about Halloween. When was in physical anthropology, worked for a long time with human skeletons, but never thought skeletons were entertainment. Each had an individual story to tell. In DC, with the Terry Collection, there were morgue pictures, which also reminded you these were people. The sad part was they were unclaimed dead from city hospitals.

Guess also as one gets older, one begins to object to any entertainment focus on death. I do like the pumpkin motifs, however, as I see in your picture. Orange is a happy vibrant colour.

Charlie
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7191681

No pictures, so a bit of my poem "Buddy Bad Gas and Princess Pebbie".
Little Peebles was Buddy's sister (by adoption) and Buddy used to be close to 30 lbs. Poem is a work in progress and has reached four or five pages.

Buddy was so different.
He was awfully big.
And with his flabby body
resembled a tabby pig.

Since he was very fat,
he always was a mess.
Unable to groom himself
he gave up on cleanliness.

And when his coat got matted
and tangles dotted his fur,
Budd went in the carry case
and visited the groomer.

The trip was quite unpleasant,
because Buddy had the knack
of being sick going there
and being sick coming back.

And if we were unlucky
and the van hit a bump,
it wasn't simply Buddy's puke
he also had a dump.

Arriving at the groomer's,
it pains me to tell,
Budd tried to kill the groomer
and the vet as well.

And when anyone came near him,
he'd swear and curse and hiss.
And we felt the need to explain
he really wasn't like this.

Charlie

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #7191774

"Arriving at the groomers,
It pains me to tell,
Budd tried to kill the groomer
And the vet as well..."

Oh good grief, Charlie, I laughed so hard Jazz and Daisy came running. They did not think it a bit funny but said:

"Oh you poor Buddy,
Misunderstood as you are...
Please dust yourself off
And get in the car.

Come on to Kentucky
It isn't so far
Just hitch your little wagon
To the nearest southern star.

No bumps will befall you
You won't be sick at all
Just set yourself southward
We'll catch you if you fall.

We'll pick you up, we'll dust you off
It's not that we will mind
Your problem's with that Charlie
And we'll leave him far behind."

With love to Buddy,
Jazz and Daisy

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #7191869

Sharon (you must have told Jazz and Daisy what to say),
love your poetic invite to Buddy.
Don't worry, he doesn't understand what I write.

In a couple of days, will have revised a bit more.
Unlike Buddy, Pebbie was always tiny, but she was certainly larger than life.
Would also add that she was very fond of her big brother.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #7191911

Jazz is three years younger than Daisy, and is well over 8 inches longer and probably 3 pounds heavier, though neither of them are fat.

It is just so funny the things you write about Buddy. Poor baby...he doesn't know that he upsets you...or maybe he does.

He's probably just punishing you for something.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
3:24 AM

Post #7192281

To be honest, Sharon, the only thing that really bothers both Carol and I,
about Budd, is his dirtiness (notably wiping food all around the area of his dish and being repeatedly sick on the carpet). Carol and I are convinced that the reason for both is that he eats too fast. We've taken the steps to accomodate other possible reasons.

He also repeatedly gets near your feet when you're in the kitchen (including after he's just been fed). He further has now decided to lie in the hallway, closish to the front door and the bottom of the stairs. The reason is he can then accompany anyone going to the kitchen. No mess, but I've got a bit sensitive to losing my balance and falling.

It's not all tribulation though. Buddy gravitates to us when we sit on a couch
to watch TV. He's very happy, lying there with a big smile on his face. He gives his quiet purr when he's stroked.

Not punishing us: Budd always was a messy cat, but Carol and I feel the problem is now exaggerated because he is getting senile. Oh well, at least he has character and one can always laugh!

Had better get to bed. Must use available daylight as days shorten.
Nite Sharon.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #7192300

I think the important thing to remember is the Buddy loves you and Carol, and you love him. That's what you will always have with you, that and his smiling purr.

Cats are like that.

Take care, and have a good sunshiney day tomorrow.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 21, 2009
5:11 AM

Post #7192527

I have a cat Chami. Named after champagne because of the color of her coat. She is a rag doll. I purchased her when I was the Branch Manager of Chase Manhattan Mortgage and one of our Loan Officers had her sold and the transaction fell through. Funny, that is the way I got our first Schnauzer. Maybe I am a soft touch. Anyway, the LO, a female came in with this tiny adorable pure white. blue eyed with a hint of blue in the highlights of her coat. I was delighted because I loved cats and just lost our 17 year old Calico. Well, a Rag Doll is suppose to follow you around like a dog, and does not want to go outside. Well we have the Rag Doll from H***. She only likes my DH and escapes out the doggy door to wander the neighborhood the majority of the day and night. I keep threatening I am going to get my own cat but so far I have just backed off. When I got this wonderful cat, my DH was retired so he is her buddy. Then we took care of our son's enormous dog that made it perfectly clear she was not coming downstairs except after dark when all the dog were sleeping on our bedroom floor. She is now 16, looks 10 and and watches me from a distance. God bless her and she will probably live to be 20. She has not been to the vet for at least the last 5 years. Maybe that i why she is so old, no vaccines...I am late, so have a great day

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
5:24 AM

Post #7192550

What a gorgeous cat Chami is, Sharon...I love ragdolls! Neat story about how you got her too.
Cats are so funny...they do adopt one person, usually.

Remind me to tell you the story of my Daisy, who adopted my husband then nearly mourned herself to death when he passed away. It's too late tonight because my eyes are nearly closed, but if you remind me, I'll tell you another day.

Sleep well all...see you tomorrow.

I do love that Ragdoll!! But I really want to see her face.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2009
8:47 AM

Post #7192648

hmmmm

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #7193111

funny as all get out
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1050546200531
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #7193263

Oh my goodness, GE...looks exactly like my Jazz and Daisy, but in reverse colors. How laugh out loud funny that is.

Thanks...hope you are well, and that we'll be hearing lots more from you pretty soon.
Been painting anymore yet??

Wintertime is my painting time, and I'm beginning to look forward to it.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #7193301

Loved the cats
This is the newestpainting
Fall comes I just have to paint leaves

Thumbnail by ge1836

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #7193326

Beautiful, and me, too, about leaves. I especially love my bright red JM...which isn't there yet, but soon will be. Our leaves are just now starting to turn...won't be long, though.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #7193359

We have nearly bare trees.
Wish I could hibernate until spring.
This is the drierest time of year.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #7193377

Me too...I start feeling bluish gray when October hits. I think that's another reason to paint, we need color in our lives during winter.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #7194621

Hi Sharon,
Dark damp day. Not very motivating. Been digging out ribbon grass from around gdn #2's little pond. I never planted it (Is in the formal garden). Wouldn't give ribbon grass to anyone and don't put it in the compost heap.
Also working on own garden, bulbs etc..
Hi Christi,
Missing you. Hope all well in your neck of the woods. Busy time of year.
Nice cat, skwinter. Glad to see she has a little friend (in cage).
Nice painting, GE. Leaves you don't have to rake up!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #7194723

Raining here today so we went to an exotic grocery store and picked up a few things that aren't available in Kroger's. Not even half finished getting everything into the tool shed or the tiny little greenhouse. Going to MIL (75 miles) to mow her yard and work on her PC.

Listening to the rain makes me want a nap.

Christi
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #7194772

Worked in the dirt today, planted iris and asters, gifts from friends far and wide. Then I did the tough stuff, I cut back an old rambling rose that was eating my house from it's spot on the trellis. So I am scratched, filthy, and covered in things that fell from the sky. The rose was pelting me, I know, not happy to be treated so.

But it's done now, and within it's thorny canes I found a tiny birds nest. I don't know what kind, just that it is very very tiny and perfectly round. Tiny vines created it, so tiny birds lived in it. No mud, just dried grasses and tiny tiny vines. I wonder who built it, and where she is now...

The rose will return next year with a vengeance, I have had it for about 30 years, and before that it lived in my great grandmother's yard since near the time of my birth. It is an old rose, but has not faded with time.

So that's my day...and I am weary for it. It's soup time now...then the shower is calling me. Should shower first, I guess, but I am starving, as are the cats.

I hope your day has been good.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #7194778

Hi Christi,
busy like us.
Exotic grocery store sounds interesting! Got relatives coming this weekend and Carol's thinking about recipes. She's currently looking at corn recipes.

You're good to that MIL!!!

Felt tired all day myself too. No reason, except the dark day.
Charlie.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #7194794

Sharon,
You're due for a well earned rest (I hope).
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #7200101

Good Morning, and ♪♫ Happy Birthday, Christi ♫♪.
I hope your day is beautiful.

Thought I was getting a cold yesterday, but no...today I think it is a sinus problem. Stuffy head and croaky throat. And it is dreary outside...so am I, very dreary.

This might be a stay in bed and cover up my head day.

I did get lots done yesterday...cleaned my studio from top to bottom, got all my vines cleaned from trellises, all my empty pots put away, deck cleaned. So it was not a wasted day. Today might be.

You all have a good day, if I pop out from under the covers today, I'll check back in.

Thumbnail by Sharran

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2009
2:36 PM

Post #7200209

Very happy birthday, Christi.
Hope there's something from the exotic grocery store to eat today.
Would have liked to take you, Mike and Sharon out for lunch.

Love Sharon's flower (peony?). Going to follow her example: salmon iris from last June. Growing season tailing off, but it will all be starting again, next year!!!

Been dark and overcaste almost all week, with intermittent light rain. Reminds me of weather in England. Usually so much brighter here. Mind you, don't have to tell you about bright sunshine.

Charlie

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #7200371

Thank you for the birthday wishes. We went to MIL yesterday and I got her PC all happy for her again. The day was rainy and dreary and afraid my attitude went with it.

Today is sunny and bright and that helps everything. "Cold front" blew in during the night and this morning it is 48 degrees. It will warm up again several times. Problem with our weather in the winter is the huge swings in temperature. We can be 30 one day and in a few days back in the high 70's. As a consequence, the plants never whether to go dormant or not. The daffodils are all mixed up as the result of so much rain, almost 25 inches in 6 weeks, and they are up. Not supposed to show until late March and now they will get burned by the first frost. Aahhhh, the problems of nature.

Mike just brought breakfast. Better eat it before it gets cold. He is cooking something lucious for tonight. Just us.

Christi
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #7204835

Warmer, drier and less windy, better gardening weather today.

Entering the local woodlot.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #7204840

Seasonal pond.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #7204843

Lots of fallen leaves.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2009
11:48 PM

Post #7204845

Dieback in the swamp.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #7204846

Oh..what are those gorgeous trees, Charlie?
Aspens?? No...but what are they?
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #7204848

Rolling hills.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #7204900

Hi Sharon.

Don't know a lot about trees, but ground was covered with aspen leaves towards the swampy area. Elsewhere, were a lot of maples. Counted tree growth rings in a stump, in summer. Maple had been about 40 years old. Lots of younger maples. This was once a working woodlot. Now conserved.

It was a great pleasure to meet no mosquitoes!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #7204914

Ok, explain a 'working woodlot'...does this mean wood has been taken for other uses from that particular forest? And now they are allowing it to rebuild itself?
Not sure I understand.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #7205070

Don't know if it was a sugar bush. Looks like it was. Stands of maples. Assume it was logged over years ago (no old trees), as with the sugar bush I know on the Lake-of-Bays. Know the bush is then managed (taking out fallen trees, etc). Guess that gives access, when the sap's running, to the trees and the tap lines.

Did see an old excavated pit in one place, used I think, for cutting logs.

Whatever the case, the large majority of the maples in the woodlot are less than 30/40 years old.

Nothing is being taken from the lot now and, except for paths, there's, now at least, little human intervention.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #7205127

It is very beautiful, Charlie, as nature should be. I am glad it is being given a rest.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #7205550

Got to read bit more, Sharon.
Most useful statement I've just seen is that most woodlots in southern Ontario are secondary forest. Think the overall theme is that the woodland that remains today is not pristine (not natural climax communities), but has been influenced by past human activities. Seems very interesting.

Had better get to bed. Want to get a bit of gardening done before Carol's brother Terry and family come, tomorrow, for a very belated Thanksgiving lunch. Anyone who's brave enough will also be having pumpkin beer and pumpkin martinis!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #7205563

That is about the most unappetizing sounding drink I have ever heard of, Charlie.
But enjoy!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7206829

Hi Sharon,
I think I may agree with you. Have tried the pumpkin beer. Not so great. Maybe a good cure for alcoholism! Mind you, I do drink green beer on St Patrick's Day.
As to the pumpkin martinis, which we are still going to go ahead with, I'll let you know. At least I don't anticipate fatalities. Terry is a lawyer, but he's also
a very decent character, so I don't expect serious repercusions.
Hi Christi,
Been thinking about Mike's luscious birthday meal, for you.
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #7206901

Finally some fall color to show you...
Balloon flowers

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #7206904

Japanese Maple

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #7206909

Another JM, lacy leaves...can't remember its name

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #7206912

Old red maple in front yard, just turning...

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #7206917

Same tree, another view

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #7206919

And finally the bark on my river birch tree...
I love this textural look.

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #7206925

Oh, one more...my new Peggy Martin climber is still full of blooms.

Have a good pumpkin-y day, Charlie...

Enjoy your company.

And let us know about your birthday dinner, Christi...hope your day was great.

Thumbnail by Sharran

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #7207725

Fab-u-loze! My sister surprised us last night and brought spaghetti and all the trimmings with a german chocolate cake. I'll have to eat celery and water for a month.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #7208135

Hi Sharon,
Great fall pictures. Love the climbing rose.

Hi Christi,
Sounds like you had a great celebration. Am very partial to german chocolate cake. Always have Black Forest cake for my own birthday.

As to pumpkin martinis, Sharon, oh ye of little faith,
they were a big hit - (with Carol and me, that's a certainty, though I suppose it could be that our guests were inordinately polite).

They were made with : vanilla vodka, coffee liqueur, milk and pumpkin puree. We did'nt have a shaker, so we had to use a juice jug. Should have also had some cinnamon sticks, but they were good anyway. Meal was great.

Picture: Carol in action.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7208211

Meant to add Sharon,
particularly like the japanese maples. They typically need winter protection where we are, though our friends in Burlington (on Lake Ontario) have a huge one.

Don't know tree, balloon flower.

As you say, the river birch has a very attractive bark. Do get regular birch trees here, but they're susceptible to a pest (a leaf minor). Had to use cygon on them, now happily banned. Have been told the main problem down here, with our birches, is that they are really northern trees that find it tough going in the South. (our South!).
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #7208279

The balloon flower is just a plant, maybe you call them Bellflowers if they grow there. I have white and a deep purple.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/81754/

But like hostas, they are beautiful in fall when they turn golden yellow.

The drink sounds good actually...and yes, cinnamon sticks would have been good, too.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #7208336

Oh, I know what you mean. Have them and as you say yellow leaves in fall. Tend to cut everthing down, as bloomed in late summer/fall, so easier to check plants and see bulbs in spring.

Not much in bloom now: Arend's monkshood still OK.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #7208344

Cool little 'scare crow' man...
Very cool.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009

Post #7208349

This hardy chrysanthemum (button hole: Mei Kyo), just coming into bloom, is the last thing to bloom in our garden. It's in full bloom in November, which is too late, because there's nothing else in flower at that time and it's usually too cold to want to stay out in the garden.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #7208415

Think it's a cat scarecrow, but we've had it a number of years and it's getting a bit tatty.

Just wanted to send you a little bit of Pebbie (died about three years ago, but not forgotten).

Continuing from the vets':

With Pebbie it was so different.
She was as good as gold.
And if the vet said "Pebbie, stick out your tongue,
she'd have done what she was told.

She never lashed out at them.
She was as quiet as a vole.
And people said how sweet she was,
a helpful little soul.

Some people like to bet
on the outcome of a fight,
but if you think Budd was tough
you would not be right,

Even though he weighed a ton
and looked like a blimp,
if any cat entered our yard,
he'd take of like a wimp.

Those little legs would move so fast
and propel him through the door.
And on he went, he did not stop,
till he reached the second floor.

But Pebbie sprang into action,
that little ball of fluff.
Budd's brave little sister,
was made of tougher stuff.

Pebbie dashed straight out the door,
heading for the swine
and round and round the two would go,
cursing all the time.

"How dare you bully my brother"
tough little Pebbs would say.
And when the bully realized just how tough she was,
that bully would run away.

And it was one of those ironies,
that Pebbie, meek and mild,
would turn into a maniac
and act so very wild.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #7208445

Ahhhhhh...what sweet words. That is a great tribute to both cats, actually!
And very fun to read.

Your words tell stories, paint pictures.
Thank you.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #7208663

Just closed the last page of "The Shack". Have tried two other times to get into it without success. My sister brought yet another copy last night and insisted I HAD TO READ IT!!

Don't really know what my problem was in the beginning but for me it was a page turner and I read the entire 260 pages + today. I can now see why it has been on the best seller list for 2 years. If you haven't read it, please consider it.

Christi
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #7208678

I certainly don't paint word pictures with the ease with which you do, Sharon,
but it's fun.

As you've said different cats have different personalities. People who don't interact with cats, sometimes don't recognise that.

Below: picture from three or four years ago: Buddy: low-key friendly self and Pebbie (the 1960s? pop song "My baby needs love ---" comes to mind). We used to call this a "dry shampoo".

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #7208691

You are right, Charlie, and that is a great picture. Pebbles is beautiful.

Christi, I read The Shack last year, gave it to all my friends as gifts for Christmas, then read it again during the winter, then read it again just a few weeks ago.

Most people either love it or hate it. I laughed and cried all the way through it every time I read it, and gathered more from it each time. Yes, it is an amazing book, and puts everything in a different perspective. Amazingly so. Something we should have thought all along.

I am glad you read it.

Now Charlie, I could write a story about that picture. And I might...right when you least expect it. So brace yourself...you will never know when the right mood might hit.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #7208703

Thank you Christi,
read about the book on line. Looks like a very good and useful book.

Also, Christi, Carol wanted me to say "Happy Birthday" to you, from her as well. Sorry I omitted to pass on the message before now.

Charlie
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #7208761

You certainly have a talent Sharon! Actually, quite a number of talents.
Still I think Christi and I do pretty well. From the above, I'm certainly not as capable a reader as Christi.

Got to get back to bulb planting tomorrow, as I keep saying, my least favourite gardening job. Week after next is supposed to have snow and have to see where to dig. Ground won't be frozen for a while.

Nite Sharon and Christi. Back tomorrow,
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #7208773

Charlie, my friend. We all have talents.
You need to remember that.

Sleep well, and make sure you feed Buddy before you sleep!

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2009
5:10 AM

Post #7208945

We are having a severe electrical storm right now. Glad to have my laptop unplugged. Can't sleep as the storm is right over us and the thunder is shaking the cabinets.

Charlie, I have to say I am a very fast reader and I don't tend to skim or skip. This was the third time I had started this book and just couldn't get into it. Even purchased the audiobook and downloaded on the iPod. I plugged along the beginning this time and finally got to the story. I didn't like the reader on the audio and will listen to a preview before buying another audio.

I loved your kitty poem. I couldn't do that if my life depended on it.

Sharon, I'm such an old fashioned thinker. Although I liked The Shack for a novel, I'm not so sure about the "new age" type of thinking. Need more of your input.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2009
5:51 AM

Post #7208987

It will have to be tomorrow, Christi, I have coughed myself into a dither tonight and need to get outta here and get some rest. But tomorrow we'll talk and I'll tell you my take on it. For now, just accept it as a novel. That's what it is, after all.

Be safe in the storm.
Tomorrow will be here soon enough.

Nite now.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2009
8:22 AM

Post #7209096

Japanese Maple nursery trip yesterday.
Colors are breath taking

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2009
8:22 AM

Post #7209097

more

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2009
8:23 AM

Post #7209098

bought one which DD and SIL planted

Thumbnail by ge1836

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #7209773

Ahhhh...that takes my breath away, so beautiful!

Painting time!!!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #7210226

Hi All,

Lovely trees and pictures Ge.

Don't know much at all about New Age myself, Christi, but former acquaintance had a New Age shop in Newmarket. She was talking to me one day and the conversation continued with her telling me she had been taken up in a flying saucer over the Uxbridge Triangle (a bit north of here). I have used flying saucers a lot in teaching attitudes to technology and do have an open mind on the matter, but I honestly thought she was joking. My laughter rapidly change to coughing. Next thing I heard (from her husband, at a school science fair I was involved in), was that she'd just been arrested for going after a neighbours kid with a baseball bat. Apparently the kid had been giving her kid a hard time. Mind you, I'm sure this is not typically of New Age proponents! Or, for that matter, typical of protective mothers.

Sharon, hope your coughing is not serious. Look after yourself. Charity begins at home!

Charlie
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #7210227

Hi All,

Lovely trees and pictures Ge.

Don't know much at all about New Age myself, Christi, but former acquaintance had a New Age shop in Newmarket. She was talking to me one day and the conversation continued with her telling me she had been taken up in a flying saucer over the Uxbridge Triangle (a bit north of here). I have used flying saucers a lot in teaching attitudes to technology and do have an open mind on the matter, but I honestly thought she was joking. My laughter rapidly change to coughing. Next thing I heard (from her husband, at a school science fair I was involved in), was that she'd just been arrested for going after a neighbours kid with a baseball bat. Apparently the kid had been giving her kid a hard time. Mind you, I'm sure this is not typically of New Age proponents! Or, for that matter, typical of protective mothers.

Sharon, hope your coughing is not serious. Look after yourself. Charity begins at home!

Charlie
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7215542

Hi Sharon and Christi,
Sorry about duplication above.
Busy day: planting bulbs: various work being done in basement: just back from viewing Council meeting.
Better get to bed: got to get up early tomorrow for continuing basement work.
Nite, Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #7215604

Nite, Charlie...dreary rainy day here, and I am dreary too...
Maybe the sun will shine tomorrow.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2009
9:19 PM

Post #7217825

Hope at least you got sunshine, Sharon,
but, if not, sure we'll get some, some day.
Rain largely held off and quite mild, so good gardening weather.

Lots of work being done in basement: new insulation and fixing below main floor alcove flooring. Computer is at bottom of stairs, so trying to keep out the guys way. Unbelievable what developers-builders get away with here. We're just fixing the problems they left (20 years ago).
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2009

Post #7225494

Hope you got your basement all fixed up, Charlie...

Too much rain here, seems a real deluge at least once a day. I am just about tired of it. Temps were in the mid 70's earlier, might be down to the 50's now, but the rain is beating down at some point every day. Sigh...I need some sunshine.

Hope you are all well and dry.
I don't like Halloween.
Bah Humbug!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #7225503

Me either. News tonight says this was the rainest, cloudiest October ever.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2009

Post #7225525

And this rain does nothing for my aching bones.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #7226020

Hi Sharon and Christi,
Chaotic few days: other work was fine, but unfortunately was a problem with insulation they started to put in basement. Carol noticed, from a label, that it was combustible and had to be sealed in (e.g. by plaster board). When I checked with manufactureer, Dow, was told it should not be used in an unfinished basement. We had made it clear to the contractor, before starting, that we did not want to finish the basement. So that part of job's still waiting.
Had a lot of rain here this morning, as well.
Had better get to bed, not finished gardening.
Charlie
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #7226914

Sharon's birthday: Nov 20.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #7227033

Aaarrrggghhhh...what a thought for this hour of the morning, Charlie.

But good morning anyway...I think I see the sunshine peeping through the clouds.

Some contractors don't seem to have ears that listen.

You all have a good day...I'll be back later this afternoon before the halloween goblins get me.
Ugh...I really don't like halloween.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #7228781

Carol getting ready.
Simple pattern this year.
Only took two hours!

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #7228790

Making the most of it.
More pumpkin martinis.
Try one?

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #7228796

A mellow fellow.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #7228804

Pumpkin.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #7228817

Ten years back had over a hundred kids come. Now only about 37. Seen them growing and grow up.
A friendly member of the SWAT team.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7228821

You look like the mellow fellow, Charlie...I love the purple vest. Pumpkin bat is great too, though I had to lie down to see it. Wonder why that happens?

Nah. You go ahead and keep the pumpkin martinis, I don't even like pumpkin pie, though I do enjoy pumpkin bread sometimes.

Didn't know you all had halloween, too...Do you also have trick or treaters? I must have had about a hundred kids...finally I turned all my front lights off and that stopped it. Three hours of knocks on the door drove the cats nutz.

Me too.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #7228823

Not sure who was what, but an amiable bunch of characters.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #7228825

We cross posted...I see you do have trick or treat.

Cute little guy.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #7228870

Certainly feeling mellow can help!

Interesting that you had so many trick or treaters Sharon, we had about a third as many this year (as above). Can't think of any small children now in our immediate neighbourhood, though many people have teenage or university age kids. Most retirees (kids left home) have downsized and moved elsewhere.

If there's too many, you have to turn off the lights. Must say we're always happy to see the back of the candies, or else we would just eat them ourselves.

Tough night for Jazz and Daisy!

might = night

This message was edited Oct 31, 2009 11:00 PM
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #7228874

Actually, people drive their kids into our little area and drop them off, then pick them up at the end of the street. They come from miles away, and I hardly know any of them. There are no kids that live near me, except for an 11 year old. That's another reason why I don't like Halloween, they aren't even our kids! I might feel differently if I knew them, but I didn't. It's pretty warm here, and some of the neighbors drove their grandchildren around in their golf carts. That was OK, I just don't like those that come from miles away.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #7228931

Boy, that sounds like taking liberties. I'd feel the same as you.

Just the fact that the number of trick or treater here has gone down as the age of the local kids has gone up suggests that isn't happening here, at least not yet. The local younger teens will trick or treat (or at least some of them), not the older ones.

They seem to make a lot of dressing up for Halloween in the elementary schools. My experience in high schools was the classes competed, against each other, in decorating their classroom doors during the first period. A lot of toilet paper got used and we had to be careful that, in the enthusiasm, chemical lab glassware didn't end up stuck on the door.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2009
3:32 AM

Post #7228960

It doesn't end with elementary schools here, the older kids get in on the act and parents just let them go. Some don't even bother to dress up. I is annoying to say the least.

Now I am eating leftover tootsie rolls. Ummmmmm...chocolate. Not the best but better than nothing.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #7229051

We actually had "buy outs", when students could buy tickets to go to in-school sports events, during the last period of the day (viz. buy their way out of having to attend their last (academic) class). When I personally mouthed off against this, the School just changed the name to "buy ins".

We have no chocolate bars left!
Beginning to feel hungry, better get to bed.

Nite Sharon.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #7229114

Nite Charlie...

I hated the buy outs too. Didn't do a thing for their education.
Sleep well.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 1, 2009
6:09 AM

Post #7229236

Our biggest hit for the night was Gatorade juice boxes. Last year we had over 500 children and their nannies, parents or whatever. Many homeowners complained, which I was not aware of and I purchased a bunch of large candy bars. Now I have candy for sapp. LOL. My grandson say he can use the left over candy to raise money for his Boy Scout Group. It is a good thing I do not like sweets. There were several parties in the neighborhood. By the time all the grandchildren and grandchildren to be came by they had been partying from 6pm to 8:30pm. We will just tell them we were here. They will not remember and will know no difference.

Todd's wife is in first stage of labor. Will probably have a new baby grandson in the next couple of day. Look like maybe tomorrow. They just wanted to get into November. I have no idea why but in one hour they will have made it. Have a great Sunday. Love you all...

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #7229657

Over 500!!!
You're so lucky you won't eat candy.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #7229806

November is a good month...many wonderful, gorgeous, talented people were born in November!!

I have tootsie rolls leftover. Sometimes I nibble when I walk by. Maybe I should hide them from myself.

It's a great big beautiful sunshiny day here...I'm gonna enjoy it.
Hope you do too.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 2, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #7232401

I understand there is a site to send all left over candy and it will be forwarded to the troops. I will try to find the address.

Candy, cake, pie any thing sweet has never been my problem. But you put a warm loaf of Rosemary Olive Bread in front of me with olive oil, ground pepper and aged balsamic vinegar do not get between me and that combination. You may lose an arm.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2009
4:17 AM

Post #7232412

Oh my, me too...and roasted garlic spread on any bread.
You just made me so hungry, and i don't have a thing except maybe toast.
Sigh.

I do love breads...
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 2, 2009
4:25 AM

Post #7232429

Are you sure you are not my twin sister, just born a couple months later. Do you like Liver & Onions, roasted garlic, garlic butter, fried onion rings, fried calamari and great double dipped chicken fingers served with country gravy. I do but I do not eat them. Liver and Onions once a year because my DH thinks it is disgusting to eat Liver. I was raised on venison liver and meat.. The others are on my bucket list. My mother did not want to eat the last 45 days of her life. I want to go out eating everything I love that is not good for you. LOL. .
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2009

Post #7232513

Twins in a lot of ways, but I don't eat beef or pork. I do however eat most fish. But yes to calamari, roasted garlic, garlic butter, fried onion rings and ice cream with caramel. And if my weight dips down very far I indulge in all of them!!!

I plan to go out eating too, but only fried things that are not beef or pork.
So yes, the twin thing rings true.
Eerie as well.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #7235704

Interesting discussion on food preferences and terminal binging, but I'm with Sharon on beef, veal, pork and lamb.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #7235752

Oh yes, I forgot veal and lamb.

I need to write a story segment tonight, so I'll be late returning. But I will return...

(somebody important said that a long time ago...MacArthur?? Duh, can't remember...blank mind at the moment, as usual.)

Oh. I am still binging, on tootsie rolls.
Sigh. I was hoping to fill in the face wrinkles. I don't think it's working, since I ran non stop from 9 this morning till 5 tonight. But I keep hoping.
Back soon...but if you need to sleep, that's OK.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #7235853

Hope I don't detect a sugar high, Sharon.
You look great, but I may try tootsie rolls to improve my figure.
Back tomorrow,
Charlie

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
5:06 AM

Post #7236263

Ha, Charlie...goodnight.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2009
7:32 AM

Post #7243359

No gardening and not much to talk about. So what do you do in the winter months?

How's the basement coming along Charlie? Finished? Probably not.

The weather is very beautiful here, upper 60's with lots of sunshine.
Craziest thing happened, there is an oak tree on the east end of my house, but on my neighbor's property. Well he decided to have his trees trimmed. He had just moved into the house, and the previous owner had not had a thing done about his trees after last year's ice storm mangled them. So the tree guys were there, and when I went outside one of them came to me and said, "While we're here we'll get rid of that diseased tree there in your front yard."

I said...What diseased tree?

He answered, The one up against your arches. It's diseased and it needs to be taken out.

So I asked what made him think it is diseased, and he answered: "Look at the bark, see how it's peeling, it's a sure sign of a diseased tree."

I thought I was going to laugh right in his face. It's my treasured river birch tree...good heavens, the bark is supposed to peel and peel and peel. What on earth ever made that guy think he could have a tree service.

Needless to say, I declined the offer and strongly suggested he go back home and study up on his trees. Good grief...sometimes people annoy me, and I can't just let it go. People who cut down trees unnecessarily would also kick puppies and children, I think.

Anyway that was the only glimmer of excitement in my otherwise mundane day.
I hope your day was better, though except for that little tidbit, mine was otherwise very nice.
Have a great tomorrow.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 5, 2009
4:15 PM

Post #7244180

Well this story is on the right thread. Tree Hackers. We have many in Las Vegas. It is scary what they do not know. But they look like they do because they have all this equipment and men working for them.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #7244199

And signs on their trucks and cards to hand out.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #7246093

Hi Sharon, All,

Basement insulation still up in the air and it's getting colder, though sure will be resolved. Tim's room been painted over last two days and he stopped by last night; watch movie, have pizza, do washing, download music, etc..
Routine medical today; only arthritis and contact dermatitis (he thinks from plants!). Lucky not much more gardening after this weekend when will warm up and can finish final required gardening.

Interesting about your river birch. Certainly have more faith in the arborist we use. Our major tree job now is raking up leaves. Would be nice to see the light coming through, but it's often been wet and darkish. A bit of hail today, but melted. Have planted quite a few bulbs, including double snowdrops, cheerful early little plants which we see come up, probably in March. Intending to get and plant some more daffodils (poisonous = voles (mice) don't eat them). Find the voles really like hybrid crocuses. Problem is, so do we! Oh well.

Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2009
3:15 AM

Post #7246294

Glad you are alive and mostly well, Charlie...today I think I am about 150 years old. But tomorrow I'll be 40 again!! ^_^

I told you about the shop where I do the displays, I think...tomorrow is the Grand Opening day, so I worked all day long getting all the displays ready for tomorrow's big event. Another DG member and her mother surprised me with a visit to the shop today. I had met her once previously, and she had seen a link to an ad for the shop that I placed on Facebook...so that was a great surprise.

Here's a picture, the DG member on the left is Muddymitts, and she lives several miles away from me. I met her for the first time at our KY RoundUp in September. To the right is her lovely mother. Guess that leaves me in the middle.

Thumbnail by Sharran

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 6, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #7246493

Well twin sister, you look great. Went today after shopping with my daughter and then went to see the new grandson. He is so tiny and quiet. It was a wonderful visit. My daughter-in-law's mother is there for the next two months and they are all moving to Spokane, Washington because my son is an Internist/Pediatrician Doctor and has a great opportunity. All contracts are signed and they are all very happy including myself. He has a great salary job, they are going to pay off the remainder of his student loans, "$70,000. The last two years have been tough because insurance companies and Medicare are not paying much. When he is on call, more than half the patients that show up at the hospital have no insurance, so he does not get paid. It breaks my heart he is moving away but I totally understand why. Now I will have to learn how to garden in Spokane, Washington. Love you all. On our SUV ride I will tell you all the funny stories, of today.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2009
4:39 AM

Post #7246504

Happy for you and your son and baby grandson.

Wish you'd hurry up with that SUV ride...and I hope you are taking notes on all the stories you've promised.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 6, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #7246570

I do not need notes. The stories are fried in my brain. After living in Las Vegas since 1960, get a life, you will not believe it. I still do not believe how naive I was. But I lived through it and did not end up at the bottom of Lake Mead. Lake Mead is one of the largest man made lakes from a dam back up. . I am ready, and if I have to pick you all up we might be on the road for three months. Better bring 90 day supply of medicine and music. You know, we could do this. Just think about it. We would need a crazy woman to drive from Las Vegas to the East to pick everyone up. I actually think we need four months but could be wrong. We could grow plants in he back of the SUV. We could do a realty show. "Gardening across America". Love all of you.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2009
5:12 AM

Post #7246579

Well...crazy woman, pack your bags. I'll leave the light on for you.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2009
5:20 AM

Post #7246591

Love the picture, Sharon.

Shop display, a very interesting project. Carol's very fond of any sort of decorating. Must say I enjoy it too.

Tim's room's been done in a grey beige. The guest room opposite is in a green beige. We've got to tone down his bathroom which is a very bright yellow, but will wait till a fan's put in. Don't intend to downsize at this time,
but are choosing colour schemes which would not alienate a future buyer,
viz. neutral colours. Have got to like the various beiges.

Carol's father (an anaesthesiologist) did a lot of free work before the current health care system was bought in.

Don't know Spokane, but know Vancouver, north of the border. Carol's brother, John, lives in West Van (as they say). Exceptionally scenic. Climate there milder with less extremes than here, north of Lake Ontario. There's a gardening tradition in Vancouver (which is home to a lot of people of English extraction). Still our sun and seasonality makes for great gardening too.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 6, 2009
5:29 AM

Post #7246602

OK, I am on my way. Listen for Eric Clapton above over very very loud... I have surround sound we can blast ourselves right out of the SUV.. Neil Diamond, Eric Clapton, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Andrea, Barbara, Bee Gees, Simon and Garfunkel, Nat King Cole, Jimmy Dorsey, Tommy Dorsey, My mother and myself. I could sing then, but not now. Love you all. Just keep smiling.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2009
6:32 AM

Post #7246644

Add a little Nora Jones and I'm there, SK.

Nice color scheme, Charlie, but I gotta have some red mixed in!

Good night, folks...I finished an article and I am simply out of words now.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7247445

Below freezing last night and a bit of snow, but will be back to bulb planting weather on weekend.
Snow on chrysanthemum Mei Kyo, which is still going strong.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #7247452

Snow on Arend's monkshood, which is just about finished.

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #7247480

Red, Sharon, reminds me of the crocosmia Lucifer. Seems so long ago. But
back next year!
Need some more do-your-own-thing dance music. How about The Stones and The Ramones?
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #7247489

Forgot an obvious one: The Village People! Great dance music.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #7247511

Yep...great music!

Here's to next year, Charlie...

Thumbnail by Sharran

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #7249145

We should drink a pumpkin martini to crocosmia Lucifer (thought I should put the crocosmia bit in) next year, Sharon!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #7249155

You have the pumpkin, and i'll have something else, Charlie...
And we'll drink to Lucifer...er, the red crocosmia...
Yeah!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2009
5:39 AM

Post #7249584

Hope nobody reports us to the School Board. Anyway, it's too late!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2009
7:43 AM

Post #7249670

Yep!!
Nite, Charlie.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2009
5:39 AM

Post #7255104

Hi Sharon,
Great gardening weather here and not going to get (gardening) uncomfortably cold for about two weeks. Worked in own garden today and we also put up Christmas lights. Have them on shrubs and around the front door. On daylight saving time (gets dark around 5.30) and seasonal lights always seem so cheerful in the dark and cold.
Was talking to David recently and he said the most important former use of the woodlots was for firewood. Haven't seen any literature so far on specific locations like Case Woodlot.
Been doing a bit of research into aspects of municipal voting. Collecting data was something I loved to do 20/30 years ago, though the research materials were very different then. Really enjoying getting back to it. Think data is a more responsible word than fact.
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
5:55 AM

Post #7255123

Hi Charlie...
Wonderful weather here, too, and I worked in the yard all weekend. But I didn't put up Christmas lights, not yet anyway.
I did however get lots of things done, and now ...well, let it snow! Not really, it's just that my beds are ready in case it does.

Numbers do speak louder than words in some instances. Data would be one of them. I am not as comfortable with numbers as with words, though, maybe that's why I don't have your science/math background. But I sure can understand them when they are compiled, it's the compiling I don't like.

Enjoy your weather, and keep me posted.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 9, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #7256378

Just dropped in to say hello. I am running as fast as I can and still not get it all done today. I guess that is why there is a tomorrow.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #7256402

Take a deep breath, Sharon...yeah, there is tomorrow.
You all have a good day, I'll be back tonight.

Some roses still in bloom...poor scraggly critters.

Thumbnail by Sharran

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #7258702

They still add colour, Sharon.

Got up to about 60 degrees today. Great weather. Only problem: it's also easy digging for a squirrel who's just dug up a few of the bulbs I'm planting. Plant
small bulbs at about 4 inches. But it certainly won't go down the 12 inches for the large bulbs.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2009

Post #7258845

The squirrels just got my last green tomato that I was going to fry tonight. I had been babying it for days, and thought the squirrel couldn't get to it.

Boy was I ever wrong! I missed my fried green tomatoes. Had them a couple of times last week, but this was my very last one. Sigh...

Thought I might have to shoot a squirrel.
But I have no gun.
And my neighbors would have objected.
And I don't know how to shoot anyway.

But I sure am great with an arrow.
But I don't have a bow either.
Or an arrow.
Ahhhh well.

I miss my fried green tomatoes.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2009
5:41 AM

Post #7258924

Sharon,
sorry about the last green tomato.
Have never eaten one, but will talk to Carol about eating a fried green tomato.
Am sure I've seen green or greenish ones in a grocery store. Or maybe that's not the same?
Was actually thinking I would like to hit my squirrel on the head with my spade. I prefer the voles/mice. They're much more destructive to bulbs here, but you can't see it going on.
Had better get to bed.
Nite,
Charlie
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 10, 2009
5:43 AM

Post #7258929

I need a recipe for fried green tomatoes. I tried and they were terrible..
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2009
5:53 AM

Post #7258952

Oh, you don't know what you are missing, Charlie.

Sharon...maybe it's an acquired taste. My fried green tomatoes are wonderful, trust me.
Hang on, I'll see if I can find my recipe, which I don't really use, but if I try to write it without looking, I'm bound to miss something.
Be right back.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2009
6:07 AM

Post #7258985

Actually there is no recipe for FGT, but I wanted to check my mother's cook book just in case she did something magical with hers. She didn't, so here goes...

Start with green full tomatoes...the little ones aren't good.
Slice them just a little less than 1/2 inch thick.
Add salt and pepper to both sides of the slices.
Dip in cornmeal, both sides, and be gentle so you don't lose the juicy part.

Fry in very hot oil until bottom side is nicely browned, then turn and brown the other side. This takes only about 3 minutes or less per side, but you have to be sure the oil is hot.

Drain on paper towels...that's all.

Easy easy easy...and don't let any body tell you to use an egg batter or flour, you really don't need it. Of course if that's what you want, go for it, but most of us who grew up with them only use cornmeal.

the end.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 10, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #7260141

Thank you young lady. Have a great day. Yesterday I had a temporary crown from the dentist. I have a very small mouth and it was the second tooth from the back. It was close to water boarding. 40 minutes of torture. But this morning I feel fine.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #7262220

Thanks from me too, Sharon.
Sounds like it would really go with pumpkin martinis.
And I do trust you too!
I will be reporting back.

Just came from observing a Town Council meeting. Very interested in how they deal with (or are allowed to deal with) things like developpers. I do feel that the majority of the Councillors are a pretty conscientious bunch.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2009
5:28 AM

Post #7262354

SK...heaven help you when the permanent crown is placed...whew! You know how dentists' chairs are? Well, I scrunch down and down and down, till he can hardly find me. I know he mutters when he sees my name on his schedule.

Charlie...I wish the best for you in the development industry. It isn't easy watching what happens when you know it isn't best for the environment. Maybe it will work out well for your own area.

I have been searching for a palm, one that can be potted, to replace one I had as a child. I wasn't sure of the species, but knew I would know it when I saw it.

Found it today, and I am so excited...Here's a photo, and I think I will be writing an article about it soon. A nice gentle story about a treasured plant. It needs to be trimmed, and it needs a new pot, but isn't it pretty!

You all have a good evening...I have run myself ragged today.

Thumbnail by Sharran

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 11, 2009
6:03 AM

Post #7262432

Sharron, for 45 minutes I had my feet raised trying to get away from not being able to breath. I thought that was interesting. I was chocking because of no air because of all the water flowing down my throat. I was chocking, and she, the assistant, said breathe through your nose. I continued to explain, If I could I would, My Dentist called me last night to check on how I was doing. I said I had been water boarded. He said he just wanted to make sure I was OK. He knew I had a rough time because I had such a small mouth. He also knew I was kidding,. He has been my dentist for14 years and this is my first procedure I have needed except for cleaning in 14 years. . It is a good thing I am your twin and held up the family banner. I wanted to just get out of the chair but just held my breath for 45 minute and they were done. I guess I should stop grinding my teeth and then I would not need a crown. Have a great day tomorrow. I am smacked for the total day tomorrow. Many disabled gardeners that I need to help with their roses. Suppose to be in the 50s by Sunday with high winds. I will be inside... I freeze under 80 degrees. I will check in tomorrow evening if I have the energy, Have a great day. Female Schnauzer is having a problem. She will spend all day tomorrow at the Vet. She is 11 and has a thyroid problem along with a insulin problem. Recently her back legs have no strength, 'When she tried to stand up her back legs collapsed. Keep Madeline in your dog prayers. God bless you Twin...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2009
6:33 AM

Post #7262485

Well, I can't sleep. Again.

Now I have to worry about my next dental appointment, which is not till March, I think. Thank God for small favors, maybe by March my mouth will grow and it won't be so painful. Or maybe my dentist's fingers will shrink and the tools will grow smaller and the water will only dribble and not spray. And I will breathe, maybe through my ears, since no doubt my nose will be flooded too. I growl through the entire procedure, no matter what it is. You did very well, SK..upholding the family banner.

Welcome to the world of women's fears, Charlie. I am sure you are gnashing your teeth. But there are very few events any worse than the visit to a dentist. Mammogram comes to mind.

Sending Madeline an angel to watch over her.
I am going now to try the bed thing again.
It didn't work the first time and might not work this time, but I had dark chocolate in between, so it really didn't matter. If I can't sleep I can always eat more chocolate.

G'nite, my friends. I am wondering about Christie.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #7265823

Sharon, that palm is just the thing Buddy likes to snack on. Really clears his system when he vomits it up!

Have a mouth full of bridges and crowns myself. Joke to the dentist about him claiming ownership of a lot of the contents of my mouth. Think I must have had so many root canals that I don't feel much discomfort from teeth. And quite honestly, I used to find the dentist's a peaceful and friendly haven from the turmoil at the School where I taught.

The dental event that really did caught my attention was a dental abscess I had in the past. In the interests of positive thought (so far at least), I don't use the word pain. But dental abscesses must come pretty close to it.

Thinking of Madeline.

Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #7265871

Well. I had a cat event tonight.

it was dark when I came home, and you must remember I have Jazz and Daisy who are inside cats, but now I also have Cupcake, who used to live next door, but when they divorced and moved away they left Cupcake behind, so she now is my outdoor garden cat who lives in my garage and goes in and out at will. She adores me and the feeling is mutual.

She meets me at the door when she hears my car returning, but tonight as I headed for the door I didn't see her, but I could hear her, so I called out a greeting thinking she was just saying Hello, and went on inside. I fed my Jazz and Daisy, then I changed into comfy clothes, then took food out to the garage where I feed Cupcake. I called her, but she didn't come, so I whistled, she always comes to my whistle, but she didn't come. In the distance I could hear dogs barking, and very faintly I thought I could hear Cupcake.

I went back inside my house, grabbed my running shoes, and headed outside, turning the porchlights on as I went. I called her, she answered..."where are you," I said. She meowed...I tried following the sound, she sounded really upset, I looked in the tree, but no Cupcake...seemed the sound was above my head. It was quite dark, so I couldn't see beyond the rim of light the porch lights provided, I started back toward the house for a flashlight, and happened to glance up, and there was Cupcake on top of my brick arches. The arches connect to the roof line and she was racing from one end to the other and back again.

I tried to coax her down, but she wouldn't jump. I couldn't reach her since the arches are so high, and she must have climbed up the birch tree, then couldn't jump back onto it's trunk because of all the branches.

So I go back in and get a ladder, place it beneath the middle arch. Still I couldn't reach very far, just to the top of the arch. She came to my hands and cuddled, but I couldn't get hold of her from beneath to get her down. Finally she leaned over and I grabbed the back of her neck, she yelled the entire way down the ladder, but we are both safe.

Not sure how long she had been on the roof, but it could very well have been all afternoon. She is one happy cat, and I on ly have a splinter from something I scraped on the way down.

The end.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #7265944

Quite an adventure! So happy to hear about the rescue of Cupcake, Sharon,
plus your safe return to Earth. Got to be a bit careful, stretching out off ladders and grabbing frightened cats. Still apart from a splinter, all's well that ends well. Sounds like the girl needs a good talking to. I'm sure you'd never box her ears!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 12, 2009
5:28 AM

Post #7265995

Never!!!
But yeah, all's well!

Good nite, Charlie...have a great big beautiful day tomorrow!
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #7269172

Hi Sharon,

Don't know what it is with this house, but insulation not put back in basement yet. Also guy who came to level the hardwood in the kitchen (subsequent to basement work) said he can't until a carpenter has shaved/ raised several areas. Half kitchen floor is up awaiting the carpenter's visit to discuss this tomorrow.

Weather continuing nice and can still comfortably plant bulbs. We're having the nice weather, usually it's B.C.. Carol's brother in Vancouver laughs he's jealous of us. Nice to see winter weather being shortened at this end of the season. It's easier to take it in March or April, because growing weather is just around the corner.

Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2009
5:13 AM

Post #7269259

Ugh, don't you hate when you have a messy area and have to wait on others to get it cleaned up. Bet it drives Carol crazy, especially since it's in the kitchen.

I have been glued to this computer for what seems to be hours, so it was nice to take a break and see your comment on the bald cypress. I do want you to be sure to take a look at it. It should grow in your area, at least the info says it will. It is a pretty tree.

I love unusual trees, and I also love trees that were planted by the birds or critters. I have the oak tree story coming up with a surprise ending. Well, truth is, I love trees. I would surround myself with them if I could.

And flowers, and bushes...

Now back to my writing. I hope you get that kitchen floor repaired quickly, otherwise Carol is going to be a little upset. Nothing worse than problems in the kitchen. And I'm thinking you've had a long wait for the basement problem too. It's like that here, though, takes a while to get things repaired. Maybe that's true everywhere.

So have a good evening, and I'll check in on you tomorrow...stay warm...it is getting a little chilly at night here. 'Bout time, I guess.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2009
5:52 AM

Post #7275507

Hi Sharon,
Hope you had a good day too. Weather here still miraculous for this time of year. Actually still planting some bulbs and had to get some blood meal because of squirrel interest. Sunny and very pleasant.

You're certainly right about the kitchen disruption. Work going to be done next week. Weather so nice the contractor is occupied working outside.

Picture below is Buddy using my slippers (stacked laminate flooring in corner behind). The area he's lying on is his favourite place (in the living room) to vomit. It's also precisely the place where my feet rest when I sit in an arthritis friendly chair to watch TV. We won't be replacing the carpeting though until Buddy joins his ancestors.

The challenge now is where to place Mr Messy Eater's bowl and plate. They are currently obstacles to traffic through the hall. We're working on how to stop him, when he eats, from knocking his crunchie bowl down the stairs to the basement. We're trying to keep his food away from where the floor is up and flooring is stored.

Charlie

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2009
5:59 AM

Post #7275514

Oh my.
Buddy is one huge cat.
Maybe he should have his own room, just for dining.
What we go through for our furry friends!! I am still having trouble keeping mine out of the houseplants I just brought inside. They pretend they are in a jungle, I think, and lurk constantly through the branches. I need to do some moving around of the plants.

Our weather is still wonderful...About 70, with lots of sunshine. I am thinking I need to water those things I planted a little more heavily than I have been doing. Maybe they'll be OK.

I have been so tired since I had that sinus infection a few weeks ago. The older I get the longer it takes me to regain my usual energy. Don't know if it is me or if it is the age, but it's something.

Here's another rose blooming again today...

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2009

Post #7275517

And another one...

Thumbnail by Sharran

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2009
6:04 AM

Post #7275519

Enjoy your day tomorrow...we'll talk then, I'm sure.
Good nite, Charlie.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2009
6:19 AM

Post #7275537

Great roses, Sharon.
Sorry about sinus infection.
Carol has sinus problems periodically. Very Uncomfortable.
I still think your cats must be saints compared to our one!
Love that sunshine.
Nite
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #7277769

Good grief, I thought it was November...but my rhododendron is blooming.
It blooms in April, what...did I miss Christmas? It has buds all over...
Craziest thing I've ever seen.

Thumbnail by Sharran

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2009

Post #7277788

Sorry, I have sort of abandoned you lately. I'm one of those people that gets "down in the dumps" ever now and then and it is better not to share. I have been lurking.

Will try to do better.

Chrisit
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #7280296

Hi Christi,
Great to hear from you. Wondering what you've been doing. Missed you!
Tried to respond last night, but was a server problem.

Hi Sharon,
Interesting re rhododendrons. Suspect that may not be a helpful thing.
Know very little re rhododendrons myself as they have to be grown here in raised acidified beds.

Weather still exceptionally good here for November. Some of your great weather. Was a bit overcast yesterday, but back to lots of sunshine today.
The Mei Kyo (picture) hasn't had snow on it for several weeks. But still got the snow tires put on today.

Charlie

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #7280315

End of the pumpkin martinis (for the season).

Carol's just researched peppermint martinis for Christmas!

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #7280605

I sure am glad those pumpkin martinis are over and done...yech, yech, yech...mint sounds much better!! How 'bout chocolate mint!!

Be back in a while, just got home.
Great blooms up there, Charlie!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #7280690

Time for Wheel of Fortune.

later...Christi
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 17, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #7281411

I bet I could beat you at "Wheel of Fortune".
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2009

Post #7281564

What?? Is that the one where you fill in the missing letters??

Nahhhh, I'll beat you every time!!
(Can you tell I watch a lot of TV? Not at all, not even sure why I still own one.)
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2009
6:19 AM

Post #7281583

Hi Sharon,
Been going through minutes of meetings.
Making too much error.
Love chocolate mint (Tim's favourite too).
Back tomorrow,
Charlie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 17, 2009
6:21 AM

Post #7281585

Have a good night, Charlie...
And also a good night to Christi and our other Sharon in Las Vegas.
See you all tomorrow.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 17, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #7283054

The sun is out and it is warm unless you are in the shade. Going to finishing planting spring pansies today and take more cuttings. Have a great day.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #7284591

Frost on van windows when went out this morning. Was parked in shade on north side of house.

Still pretty comfortable outside. In fact, an excellent day for gardening, but not much garden to garden. Soil in sunny locations hasn't started to freeze at all.

Saw three wild turkeys at garden #2. Very svelte compared to their domesticated relatives.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #7284869

Frost...ugh! Not there yet, but probably sometime soon.

Here's a tree I decorated for the shop where I do their displays. This is the first of about 4 I will do for them...i doubt I'll have the energy left to decorate one of my own.

Thumbnail by Sharran

SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #7284961

That is really good, Sharon.
Love the interesting colour combination: works very well.
Meticulous distribution of decorations throughout tree.
Very nice balance of the different shapes and textures.

You could be laying out a flower bed!

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #7284989

The shop is consignment, more vintage than anything else, and it is a beautiful place. So the tree was decorated with the contents one of those boxes one buys at an auction, not knowing what was inside.

BUT..inside was a treasure of old velvety flowers, dusty rose colored magnolias, and some handmade pinkish fabric sachet things that women kept in their lingerie drawers. I cleaned them up the best I could and used them all to decorate the tree.

Since it is a consignment shop, and we try to encourage the reuse of all things, I thought it perfectly appropriate. The gold fabric you see comes from a set of used chair covers, the kind used to cover banquet chairs. They are about a foot wide and maybe 10 feet long, with a pocket sewn into the middle to cover chair backs. The long ends could be tied in bows on the backs of the chairs. So I just flattened them all out and wove them into the branches. It works.

Yes, like a garden, maybe.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 18, 2009
4:11 AM

Post #7285080

Well Twin Sister, you are really talented. But I am with you. After doing one of those I would not be able to do my one. I stopped putting up a tree two years ago. I do put out Christmas decorations and I have a gold ornament tree and I do hang my favorites ornaments. I was a total Christmas nut before I got sick and retired. Now I am busy at giving all the treasures to our children. We had a family meeting a few years back and asked this question. "Would you rather have gifts or cash and buy what you want"? Unanimous answer, Cash...All our grandchildren are in their teens except for two. At first they got so many presents it was embarrassing. And I was the culprit. I watched one year in horror as they tore through gifts, threw them over their shoulder and screamed NEXT. I did not need to be told by their parents, I knew I was wrong. They now only get 5 presents. They also have to give two presents to underprivileged children. I take them shopping for the presents with the lists of what the children want and need. We have been doing this for 5 years. This has really opened their eyes. This year is going to really blow their socks off. We will be paying utilities, buying food and helping pay rent. I have been raising money in the neighborhood and the neighbors have joined in and want their children to be joining us. They think it is time their children see the real world. A couple of weeks ago one of our neighbors traded in her Porsche SUV for a V W 5 seat SUV. Her daughter did not want to be driven to private school in the V W. Her parents called me and I met them at their driveway the next morning. There was this sweet young lady, 14, sitting in the front seat looking very sad. I asked what is wrong and got nothing. Then her mother told me she was embarrassed to be seen in a V W. I immediately responded gently, what, are you out of your mind. Having an expensive car means nothing. Well one month later she is fine because a whole bunch of her friends parents are getting rid of their expensive cars. Vern & I have always been frugal with cars. Do not ask me what I spend on gardening. I have another story for the limo.. It will have to wait.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2009
4:15 AM

Post #7285089

Cars are only covered wheels that get you to where you need to go.
SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2009
5:07 AM

Post #7285267

The three Rs are a great idea, Sharon. Sure you were involved in teaching them as I. Always pick up the small amount of litter I see when walking in Case Woodlot. Main problem is the plastic which lingers on. Grew to really dislike plastics over twenty years of teaching chemistry (human health and the environment).

Re Volkswagen: read recently that the Company wants to replace Toyota as the number 1 car seller in the world. Apparently to do this they must get back into the North American market as they were in the 1960's. And they won't be relying on The Beetle and Volkswagen vans of the Counterculture!

Nite. Had better get to bed.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2009
5:46 AM

Post #7285367

I think I had better start a new thread, just in case this is getting too long for dial uppers...be right back.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2009
5:53 AM

Post #7285392

Pack your bags and grab your hats, we're moving over to here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1056780/ >>>>>>>>>

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America