Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Direct sow annuals now

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I was wondering if anyone has had any success direct sowing Cosmos,Zinnia,and other annuals that are dropping their seeds now.
I plan to compost the entire garden for the winter and wanted to sow these two annuals especially after compost is down.
I never have good luck seeding inside in April. stuff gets too leggy and rarely survives once transplanted.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

I've sowed Zinnias and Cosmos from seeds no problem. I've had zinnias come up on their own from re seeding.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks that is what I figured.
I'll sow some of the seeds just incase of crop failure, and keep some to plant in spring.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

ge,

Zinnias are known to germinate in 1 to 3 days at 70 degree temperatures, so not really advisable to sow your annual zinnia seeds now when it's too cold and possibly have them rot thru the winter.

Just sow the seed in your garden when it warms up in your area (or start them inside a couple of weeks before last frost which is a pain, I think).

Or, if you are a 'Wintersower' and follow the posts on the 'Winter Sowing Forum' on DG, try this: Plant the seeds in milk jugs outside once it has warmed up in the spring a bit and put the lid on to make a 'mini-green house'. For more info on this method, look at the WS Forum.

Don't want to waste good seed by planting too early.

Have I confused you enough??! (-:

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nope its just what I had hoped for thanks plenty.
I'll just sow the cosmos and annual poppies.
This is why I love DG.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Annual poppies and larkspur do fine for me, esp if I toss seeds around so that I get the larger Plants!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.