New to me - any ideas?

(Zone 9a)

I found this NOID costus yesterday and would love to have more info on it. Is anyone familiar with it?

Thumbnail by ardesia
(Zone 9a)

Whole plant; it is in a 6" pot.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Maybe ..

Costus erythrophyllus

http://www.gingersrus.com/cart/index.php?productID=3431

or Costus vinosus

http://www.gingersrus.com/DataSheet.php?PID=3839

X

(Zone 9a)

Oh my, wouldn't it be lovely if it were one of them? How about the flower on that erythrophyllus?
The underside of the leaves on mine are definitely deep red but the top side of the leaves is a pale yellowish green, like an army green. I wonder if it could be because it was growing in a bright light situation.

In any case, it sounds like I will be bringing this one indoors dutring the cold weather.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm waiting for my costus to bloom .. probably won't this year but after taking one look at the flowers they produce, "want" came to mind.

X

(Zone 9a)

small letters???? I think it should be WANT :-)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

What a nice find, Ardesia! It's a beautiful plant.

(Zone 9a)

Thanks Deb, I found it at a nursery on Johns Island. There were only two and my friend got the other. I have been going blind looking at costus pictures and they all seem to say "deep" green leaves and mine are not even close.

Red Oak, TX

Costus Erythrophyllus

Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

Costus Erythrophyllus Grey form

Thumbnail by prita
(Zone 9a)

Hmmm, that gray form is pretty close although I think mine should be called a yellow form as it is such a yellow/green color. As I mentioned earlier however, that may be due to the light it was receiving.

Rita, do you grow these?

Red Oak, TX

ardesia, I bought those from Zone 9 in Houston 2 years ago. No blooms yet.
There is also a Costus silver leaf

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

I have these in that family:
Costus Erythrophyllus
Costus Erythrophyllus Grey form
Costus Erythrophyllus Foster Gardens
Costus Erythrophllus Blood Red

(Zone 9a)

Oooo, that sounds fantastic. I am wondering if mine is the gray form. Some of the older leaves have a grayish cast to them, it is just the newest leaves that have a yellow/green tint.

Moodene, can you tell me how hardy (or I guess I should say how tender) these are? Do you keep yours in a GH? We are having a freakish cold spell and the temp dropped to 51 last night and tonight is supposed to be the same so I brought this one in the house but I am wondering if that is necessary.

Big Sandy, TX(Zone 8a)

Costus Erythrophyllus, is listed as zone 10 at Gingersrus, so you will need to bring it in this Winter but I don't think 50 is going to hurt it.

(Zone 9a)

Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.