Alyssum - is anyone growing them in 2010?

(Zone 5a)

So ok, IS anyone growing them in 2010?

I had great luck with volunteer seed I had from Crystal carpet and am hoping I will have the same for 2010, but was also thinking of trying new colors...so whats been your experiences!

I plan to do some seed and sow indoors in January...but what new variety yet.. I have not decided!

Here is one of my 2009's! Crystal carpet in a basket.. it was great in the window boxes too!

Oh yes and feel free to join me back at my GPS6 series... right now we are running down the plants I did this past season and planning the 2010 calender and you are welcome to join me!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1046430/

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I end up growing alyssum most years. It makes a nice low edging in front of my perennial beds. Mine are still looking good after an inch of snow a week ago. I think the white ones in this photo are Crystal Carpet. They always do well. I also grew some of the Easter Basket purple and pinks ones. They did OK, but seem to grow slower and need deadheaded at least once. This photo was taken earlier this month. The lantana and vinca froze and are gone now.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Samson, one of my cats, reacts to alyssum like it was catnip. Guess I will always plant at least a little for him to enjoy. They don't seem to mind him rolling on them.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
(Zone 5a)

I tried Easter and it did not do as well. Snow Crystals and Crystal Carpet both are an excellent choice though!

Got quite a few volunteers in 09...hoping the same will go for 2010!

My window boxes and baskets are in my GPS for winter storage. I will not do anything with them now until spring other than maybe water them a wee bit until the snow flies after tht the annuals in there are toast and are set for re-seeding themselves!

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I had luck wintersowing alyssum. It went gangbusters!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I placed an order yesterday with Swallowtail Seeds for some Clear Crystal Purples, Golf Violet and Golf Mix. These are new ones to me. The Clear Crystals are suppose to be a little taller. The "Golf" ones are called "Gulf" Alyssum on Renee's seeds. They also had some red and wine Alyssum that looked interesting. I'll let you know how these new ones do for me. May winter sow half and do the others under lights. Also ordered some Apricot Profusion zinnias. Think I'll mix apricot Pansies with the purple/violet Alyssum for Spring and then replace them with Apricot Zinnias once it gets hot. Also ordered a couple other zinnias and a few Sweet Peas. Sweet Peas will do OK here if we have a cooler Spring and early Summer like last year, otherwise they don't always do well, but I keep trying cause they are so pretty.

Susan

(Zone 5a)

WOW What a rainbow you will have Susan!

I have never tried winter sowing. Can you share your experience with that Peck?

Here are my window boxes when I had them up on the porch this fall. Seemed they went gangbusters with the cooler summer we had this year and are still going like mad for me, although I have moved the window boxes to my GPS. And they are seeding...Hope they will give me a flush of volunteers this spring..

My petunias popped seed this week, dang it.. they could not wait until spring. Guess I should have quite watering earlyier!

(Zone 5a)

Well, I just cut the tops off of my allysum that I have in pots in the office.

Will toos the cuttings into a paperbag and let the seed dry in there. The plants are still viable, maybe they will bloom again!

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

I will be growing them! This year, the weather never got really hot, so they just kept growing and growing...

(Zone 5a)

They do seem to prefer a cooler temp. Mine would be doing fine outside, but Im packing it in for the winter....besideds that we are on about our 3rd frost now. Today had a skin of ice on the water.

Louisville, KY

I plan to plant allyssum along the edges of my garden. Last year I planted them in a plug tray ( 72 plugs per tray) and left them on a table under a shade tree in my garden. They did very well. I have pulled most of them up during my fall garden clean up ,, but a few are still left. I will take a pic tommorrow and post it.

My plan for them this year is as follows:

I bought a 100 plus daffodils from sheepers. As I planted the daffodils I planted a forget me not plant over each bulb. The forget me nots were volunteers from other places around the garden. So here's what I am hoping will happen. First the daffodils will flower followed by the forget me nots. As they finish I will replace them with allyssum.

That's the plan at least.

One good thing for sure. The squirrels have not bothered the newly planted daffodils this year..... and that's a first.

(Zone 5a)

I like your plan!

I plant my bulbs in nursery cans then sink the can in the ground. Depending on the bulb will depend on how many will go into the can. Usually 3 to 5 to a dozen.

Makes it easier to find the bulbs if I need to lift them and keeps the moles and voles and well, dare I say squirrels at bay! I dont have any trouble anymore doing it this way! YOu can still do the alyssum thing with it too!

I have a border that is alternating stella de oro daylilys with bulbs.

Louisville, KY

This is some of my alyssum. As you can see I am in the process of mu lching leaves.
I go around the neighborhood and collect leaves then use my shredder to prepare them for mulching the garden.

I have shredded 40 bags so far and have quite a few more to go.

Thumbnail by timeinabottle
(Zone 5a)

good idea! recycle recycle! we do the same, get woodchips from the tree surgeon and at little or no cost.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I wintersow white alyssum every year, and it does well. I cut it back by about half after each heavy flush of blossom, so about 2 to 3 times a year. It's still blooming now.

I wintersowed some pink this year, too, but I'm always disappointed in colors other than white. With such small flowers, they never really show up very well. Their color seems to make them fade into the mulch. From now on, I'm sticking to white.

Karen

(Zone 5a)

I tried Easter blend once and like you, Iwas pretty unhappy with the color. White is the best by far, although the lavender, purple is pretty too given the right setting. Been awhile since I tried them.

Gulfport, MS

There is a new sweet alyssum out this year called Snow Princess. It is larger than the sweet alyssums I have grown before. Smells great, the tag says annual except in zones 9-11, hardy to 32 degrees. But best for me it is advertised as more heat tolerant. I don't have many nights colder than 32 here. I found mine at Home Depot by Proven Winners brand. I will just have to wait until July when it's around 90 degrees to find out any heat tolerance for me.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

You can see "Snow Princess" on www.flowergardengirl.com. Anna keeps up with all the Proven Winner plants. Check out that new two color petunia. The name is escaping me now but it's going to be very popular this Spring/Summer.

(Zone 5a)

I just found a deep rust colored ally! Its nice looking, but I will be danged what catalog I saw it in... Im thinking shumways...Seymours? ooooOoo I hate when I do that, find something cool and forget to tag it.

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Do you have a pic?

(Zone 5a)

nope! cant remember what catalog it was..

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

The Snow Princess looks interesting. Maybe I'll try one if I see it locally. I'm pretty cheap, though, and buy few plants now. I wintersow almost everything, and dabble with growing a few seeds under lights. I'm also overwintering some cuttings for next year.

I can wintersow several gallon jugs of other pretty allysum seedlings for the price of one small garden center plant.

Karen

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Swallowtail Seeds has a Wonderland Copper that looks interesting. Is that the rust one you saw? I'd love to see some more photos of it.

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/annuals/alyssum.html

Susan

(Zone 5a)

Susan, oh yeah!! Thats the one! WOW what a selection there!

Ima gonna have to look into thie winter sowing ya'll been talking about...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I am an avid wintersower and always encourage friends to at least give it a try. But even I admit that some plants are better suited to other methods, like growing indoors under lights or direct sowing. Alyssum, though, is a prime candidate for wintersowing. Any type that I have ever tried this way has done extremely well.

There is a wintersowing forum here at Daves for anyone interested in trying it.

Karen

(Zone 5a)

Whats a good thread there to start? I'll go!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Blossombuddy: Do you mean for wintersowing? Start with the "sticky" thread at the top.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coldsow/all/

Trudi Davidoff also has her own site, very thorough
http://wintersown.org/

Karen

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I always grow some alyssum in front by the door and out in the back. The white I tend to get smells so great to me when it gets warm. Like fresh hay and honey. Makes weeding a bit more pleasant:lol:

My other favorite is Oriental Nights--darker purple/blue.

(Zone 5a)

Thanks.. will check it out!

I think ally's smell great too!

(Zone 5a)

Well one of my allys bloomed today! Its a plant I brought indoors this fall and well, I'll be! LOL!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Was it the variety "New Carpet of Snow" ??
HeHe

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I side planted a hanging basket a few years ago which looked really nice

Thumbnail by joannabanana
(Zone 5a)

***BLUSH****!

ye-ah! But least its a "warm" snow! LOL!

Nice side dressing there gal!

(Zone 6a)

I like the regular 'Carpet of Snow. It bloomed all summer for me and made a great trailer in a basket.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

I wanted y'all to know that I dreamed about alyssum last night...all your fault! Going to get mine going this weekend. I found a couple of years ago that the ones that I bought tended to quit blooming during the heat of summer. Not so with the ws ones. Many new colors that I need, need, need to try:)
Bev

(Zone 5a)

LOL! Well I had nightmares of snaps! LOL! These are in my office!

Sorry the pix a blur.. just cant get those nice close ups like I used to!

(Zone 5a)

Then I woke up and found my snaps blooming in the office too.. whew!

Just rec'd my monthly newsletter from Fine Gardening Magazine and it list Globe Amaranth(aka gomphrena) as being deer resistant..Besides the fact that it is supposed to reseed, keep the deer at bay is enough of a reason for me to look for the seeds and plant them! I've always thought Strawberry fields was a pretty bunch. Never knew they came in other colors.

Can I WS alyssum now? I live in Zone 7 (DC/MD area)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Alyssum is great to ws, but if they have germinate and it gets below -10C or 23F, put the jug in a garage or something. I had an entire jug freeze (dead) from a really cold night.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images