Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: New bees chit chat thread...Seed Junkies welcome 10/13/09

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 380, Views: 2,089
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #7165506

Come on in everyone beware of creeping vines.. We came form here'''
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037667/

Direction for free seed here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Newbies that get lost and found here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Bed for newbies here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Jan's Seed Auction here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1036526/#new

The high priestess and her Loyal followers Brug sprout off contest
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037643/

Thumbnail by arejay59
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2009
7:47 PM

Post #7165526

Hi, it worked for me.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #7165535

THank You Jan...
seray53

October 13, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #7165592

Worked for me too!

Mekos sent me an awesome package of goodies today. She is a wonderful person!!!! Don't you agree?

I'll look for herbs Arejay! You have a box in the mail so they'll come with the next round. Aren't you the Keeper of the Tribal Atlas or some such thing as that. LOL We miss you.
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #7165624

Arejay, the new thread worked for me.

I have to tell you I just love this site, I have been spending 3-4 hours a day on here. Between here and Facebook I could spend all day and never get bored,

Everyone have a great day!
Mickey
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #7165640

Well it is about time we heard from you arejay. I thought you had just forgotten us LOL Now if cue would just show up. She was in for maybe 10 min the other day but not since.:(((((((
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #7165656

I can feel Cue moving in the direction of the thread as we speak!! I could never forget any of you..Hi Mickey...I think we met just a short bit ago didnt we? Seray I did win a position and boy am I in trouble now. I was being funny with Holly and I won. I am brug troubled let me tell you...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #7165747

Hello e1!

Mickey, I could spend the WHOLE day on here and never get bored! Glad to see you're here with us.

Arejay, mother dear, yes we missed you.. Glad to see you're back and thank you for the new thread. Love the picture of the "fall harvest".. Very "Autumn-y"

Missed ya Mekos ;-) You are a very thoughtful wonderful person and we all just love ya.

Hi Flower and Seray.. good to see you here too!

Raining here.. grr.. makes me lazy, lol-- But I got a grow light and you guys may think I am crazy, but my seedlings doubled in size overnight! Here is a pic from day before yesterday:

It's red Hibby and Blue Satin ROS .. that one little 3rd leaf on the ROS doubled since last night! Watch--

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #7165758

Here's 10 minutes ago..

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #7165768

Same thing with my Rose Campion and Purple Coneflower..

day b4 y'day ..

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #7165774

and today

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #7165790

Here's the light- $9 Thank you for the heads up on the light and where to get it guys..

Thumbnail by MechelleT

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #7165839

HI Everyone. I'm here Robin. Mekos you better watch out I grew up in snow country you just might end up buried in snow you throw that snowball at me. We did bury one of my brothers one winter because he thought he'd be smart and pretend it was a beach out there. Too bad mom made us dig him out before he froze.
Mechelle those lights do make a different don't they? I had to put some baby amaryllis plants under mine today. I forgot about them no water or nothing then started to clean the top of the freezer where they were and thought ooops but they were fine had grown 2 inches in spite of my neglect. I'll do better from now on I promise.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

October 13, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7166080

Well, guess I better watch for a grow light! Definately need one here, as I have tons already starting, as it got cold sooner that I expected! Go figure!
Mickey, don't be so quiet! Feel free to throw in your 2 cents worth anytime! We love having you!
Tubby, got the envey sent off to you today with seeds. Enjoy!
Snowball fight sounds like fun! We'll pack some snow in dry ice and send it to some of you so you can play too! LOL
Gotta get some clothes washed for the drive to AZ tomorrow, so gotta go for now.
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #7166400

I would watch for a grow light, but my kitties sabotage andy plants I try to grow inside. Does anyone have and thoughts on how to keep cats out of plants? I also have to be careful what types of plants I try to grow inside as some plants are poisonous to cats. I really would like to be able to start seed inside this year but I have no place to put them that the cats cant get to them.
seray53

October 14, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7166411

So we have the Tribal Sorceress and the Princess of the Frozen North meeting in AZ! Sounds like trouble to me. LOL Where's Gilda? Drive careful Princess... I mean Skellogg! Have fun you two send us some pics!!!!
seray53

October 14, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #7166471

Hi Mickey

Haven't been able to keep my cat out. She sleeps on the benches in the middle of my seedlings. I find her curled up in the big Brugmansia pots when I bring them in the garage. She sleeps behind the lights where it's warm. I try to leave her an exit route so she doesn't knock over anything. So far her instincts have kept her from eating my plants. She was on her own for awhile before she came to live with us so she's pretty savvy.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #7166492

I have three cats. One of them is to old to bother with my plants one is to busy to bother and the other is always in the middle of them. She was a stray almost dead when she arrived. She lays on them in them around them anywhere she can hide for her imaginary attacks on the other two cats who are completely bored with her..
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
3:58 AM

Post #7166936

Miss Arejay, I am waiting for a package from ILJ and as soon as I get it, I will be sending you some newbie seeds. Have you been getting envies from new people in my zone? I have been being a good girl and sending newbie emails.. HAGN guys
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #7166967

Hey guys, I was looking around in the hypertufa/concrete forum and found this: It is so cool.. I want to do it!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/575362/
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #7167420

Mechelle I went over and read that thread and that was so interesting. Makes me want to give it a shot this next spring or summer. I didn't know that masonite was that limber though to be able to bend it into shapes. New one on me LOL
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #7168305

Flower- Don't you love that heart shaped one? I think it looks so neat with the mosaic look. I was looking on ebay last night and they have paver molds with animals and different designs. I'd like to make some to border my DL bed. It looks easy enough. I know the weather is kinda bad already for some of us but maybe we can start a thread and do some kind of fun contest for next spring/summer.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #7168394

Oh Mechelle that is a great idea...it is so much more fun when others are doing the projects. Dont you think? Be sure and post the thread for us when you start the group. Post it on the newbie thread too...
Yes I am getting things from zones that we dont usually get things from. When Flower was doing it by herself and I was doing it by myself we worked off only the front page of new members. I think we are reaching a wider range of people this way.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #7168512

I think it is more fun when we all do it together and bounce ideas and facts off of each other. That's why we all rock and others are just jealous! LOL I'm feelin' spunky today .. yes in fact we are the bomb .. I will work on some examples over this winter and get a good group thread started..

I agree with you Arejay on sending by individual zone. Gonna go outside and finish mulching my DL bed.. My frost date isn't until Nov 13th, so I still have time! If it would just quit raining so much! Hagd e1
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

October 14, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #7169224

wow mechelle,
that looks good my husband is a block mason and builds all sorts of things bet he could do something like that for me, well i have to catch him on a good day, when he likes me lol
he has done alot with pavers, my waterfall a sea wall by our boat ramp. he did a pizza oven for a customer, now i want one
blondie
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #7169545

HI EVERYONE!

ok... gotta question for ya's

someone 'splain' to me HOW my mammoth Sunflowers that were supposed to grow to a height of 10 - 12 ft only got to 1 1/2 - 2ft before they started blooming.. and my Chianti sunflowers, that were supposed to get to 4 - 5 ft only got to 12 inches before they bloomed???

what the heck did i do wrong???
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #7169589

Hmm must be mutants Cue
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #7169672

Hi Cue, good to see you back.

I'm not a real expert on this but I do know that sunflowers grow well in the sun, that is, if they're in the least bit of shade they will be smaller. They also respond to very well fertilized soil, poorer soils will stunt their growth somewhat.

Then you get into the factor of seeds and where they came from, some are taller and shorter than others. They will crossbreed with other sunflowers and some hybrids will become "unhybrid" for the next generation if the seeds are harvested and reused. Therefore the source of the seeds might be your problem.

That all said, I have to say that I really like all sunflowers big or small. Some of the smaller ones are quite attractive, and all are easy for me to grow.

Al
seray53

October 14, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #7169705

Maybe this will help: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/EP325
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #7169711

Yep - That explains it alright...oh boy...
Thanks Seray LOL

Al
seray53

October 15, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #7169920

You're welcome Al. You probably have good soil there and they would be easier to grow. Coastal sand like I have and like Cue has needs more nutrition. Dolomite. LOL
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2009
3:32 AM

Post #7170687

Blondie- I went on eBay and found all kinds of molds. It makes it hard to get a lot done if you only have one mold though and some of them are pricy. I found some for those concrete benches with horses on them. Totally worth it though, especially if you sold a few, it would pay for itself that way. We have a Farmers Market uptown twice a week and I could maybe take a couple of plants and some of the molds to help cover the cost. Can't garden this winter, but maybe I can do that in the garage >:-) Muahhaha, lol
I want to do a "Family Garden". I have been looking up different cultivars with my kids' names, and mine & my husbands. I thought it would be neat if I made them each a stepping stone with their names on it. In that heart border would be cute, don't you think? Wonder if anyone has ever thought of doing a "Family Tree" themed garden. That would be kinda cool.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #7172098

It's like a ghost town in here this morning... Helloooo... Where is everybody?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #7172121

Hi Mechelle,
Ive been moving computer dusting out from under it having the chimney cleaned, getting my last plant trade of the season done...It is cold.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #7172154

Hi Arejay? How are you? It is a little chilly here today, low 60's, but perfect gardening weather for me. I don't really have much to do outside except for work on the last LB I started. I got my first bloom on one of the Brugs jerodsmom sent me :-) So happy.. it's purdy.. The bloom is heavy, too..

Thumbnail by MechelleT

cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #7172695

ok Lyco.. her goes...

the area that both types of sunflowers are in recieve a minimum of 7 hours of direct sunlight a day.

before the seeds were planted.. I worked the soil (erm.. sand) aded, composted manure.. and fertilized the seedlings after they set the 2nd set of true leaves... with an all purpose fertilizer.. could it be that they just dont LIKE me??? or perhaps.. i chose too cheery a flower (even the Chianti) for my otherwise dark and gothic backyard??? maybe they are just depressed and i need to go sing... or smile at them.. or something?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7172816

Everybody likes you Cue, and sunflowers too, regardless of what you think. Maybe the salty or sandy soil is working against you, dunno. I'll send you some different ones if you want to try again. Maybe try potting them in bagged soil instead of in the ground.

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #7173194

HI everyone. Just checking in. It's cold and rainy -got so many boxes and packages of plants and cuttings today. Thank you everyone. Will be planting for a week to get er done. Georgeous bloom Mechelle. I have some about to open, they got the frilly skirt at the bottom showing. Can't wait to see which color they are. Got to be gold or pink. Hollyhock, got the brug cuttings today, thank you so much, Polly sent me so many iris different kinds and some other plants along with catmint and I just can't believe how nice the lasagna bed will look with them all planted there. Good thing I finished it last week. Brandy sent me some beautiful butterfly gingers and spiral gingers, now if I could find some torch gingers, I'd be in heaven. Cocoloba sent me some wax hearts leafs to root and I'm just so doing the HAPPY DANCE here tonight. Couple days ago I got some great seeds from Seray for my cobra lily collection, and I'm just beside myself with joy.Blondie sent me some great stuff and so many others, JUST wait till spring! My greenhouse is full and overflowing with plants. I may have to add an extra room to it. Well, back later. Thanks everyone for all the great seeds and plants. I'm so happy, worried about where to put them all, but so happy.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #7173485

HI Everyone Wow Mekos sounds like you hit jackpot.
I'm back to my cleaning almost done one more go at it and I"m finished. Just didn't want to move all the computer stuff to clean but I'll get to it tomorrow maybe. Other than that I've been finishing up some crochet projects. Trying to finish my hardest to see one now. I know one thing that will be the only one I do with sewing thread.
Tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day again I'm going to be digging up plants we are due to get down to 29 Saturday night.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #7173531

Al - I think what I will do is try again in the spring. I may have planted them a bit too late, even for Central FL. The light path is different this time of year than in spring and summer.. maybe thats it. I dunno...LOl... Im not giving up tho!!! I want big ole sunflowers like you had in the one pic you posted awhile back!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #7173582

Hey you guys, my white moon bush just bloomed a purple bloom instead of white. It was a deeper color on the outside of the bloom and lighter lavender toward the throat area. Man, I never saw a lavender one before. Do they cross with anything? All the other blooms were so white they seemed to glow in the dark-white. This was my first lavender one, the bud was dark before it opened.

Thumbnail by mekos

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7174029

Its a beauty mekos...Im sorta partial to purples and pinks tho...The white ones do tend to glow at night.. I saw in a previous thread someone said they had a purple moon plant vine I had never seen one of those before either...

We had a safe trip and a very nice visit with Grannies other sisters...She cant hear it thunder, but her mouth seems to never stop moving ... She is so funny had those people at the funeral home just laughing with stories...Trish
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #7174041

I have purple moon vine seeds if you want some. This is moon bush and always bloomed white. That is why it shocked me when it opened lavender this time. All it's other blooms were white . Glad you made it back safely. Sorry for your loss.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2009 10:20 PM

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #7174302

Hi, everyone!

Aha! Now I know why no one was chatting . . .

Just found the new thread - duh!!

Hey mekos - the thread about the brug cuttings - check it out again. Someone is trying to trade Jumping4Joy "Isabella" cuttings for Straw&Cream - maybe you can work out something with that one?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7174358

Hey girl, too much rejection in one day isn't good for me. But Hollyhock is looking for those also. Maybe she can get some cuttings. I just got cuttings in the mail today so maybe this will be enough for me this year. Hollyhock sent me a bunch. Well, good night all. Thanks for the info Loca.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #7174419

anytime little buddy!
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
10:23 AM

Post #7174716

Holly and mekos - I have both Isabella and Strawberry and Cream
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2009
10:37 AM

Post #7174731

mekos,
cicada has some white ginger plants she is wanting to trade. I don't know what she wants in trade for them thou. Thought you might want to take a look .

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #7175119

Now mekos, why didn't you mention to cue you were looking for them? LOL
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #7175416

Here's a shot for you leaf peepers taken last Monday. Would you believe it, we got 2 inches of SNOW last night! I wanted to get up in the plane yesterday but it was so cloudy gray that we couldn't see, had to stay grounded. The pretty leaves will be likely gone after this storm passes, though we'll still fly if the weather is nice.

Al

"Just around the bend from here"

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 11:08 AM

Thumbnail by lycodad

seray53

October 16, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #7175440

Beautiful Al! It must be spectacular from the air.

Morning everyone.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #7175728

the leaves are beautiful Al... still a little warm here but the leaves were turning last week when we went up in the Ozark mountain range..They were expecting a frost that night ... that should really start to bring out all the nice fall colors...To bad I wont be back up there to see it ...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #7175733

Id love to have a few purple moon vine seeds if you have some to spare Mekos...I have a few cup and saucer vine seeds I can trade ya if you want?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2009
5:40 PM

Post #7175983

I'd be happy to send you some hunny. Will get them in the mail today. Do I have any others you would like? Can send them at the same time.
Good afternoon everyone. Went out to spread more mulch and got rained out again so just cold and wet around here now. If this keeps up, I'll be doing the back stroke again, or hunting the ark.
The leaves are pretty Al. I can't believe all the snow everyone is getting and it's even getting so cold here. This is not normal weather for us. I can't remember when we've had so much rain. This whole year has been wet. The lakes that were down for years, about empty, are full again.
The brug cutting offer is very sweet Cue, I just didn't want you to have to cut yours back when you don't have to since you are in a warmer place and so many others will, I figured I'd find some being cut back and trade for some of those since they would be cut anyway. But I won't turn down a brug cutting. (especially those 2) Thank you so much, little friend. Do I have anything you would like in rturn? If so let me know.
Well, think I'm going to go get some hot chocolate to warm me up and rest a bit so back later. Hunny if there is any other seeds you would like let me know and I'll send them while I'm sending these. You can send a d-mail if you like. My white morning glory is blooming but havent found seeds on it yet. With all the rain they could have washed off, or birds may have got them. I do have seeds to the white moon vine and the white moon BUSH. So if anyone wants seeds speak now or not. Got lots of seeds mixed from all my Morning glories. So many different colors. My snail vine is blooming like crazy but havent found seeds to it either. Oh well, will check back later.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #7175998

Hey guys, I am heading to WalMart right now and they still have a ton of Morning Glory seeds out for 20 cents a pack. Even the white ones "Pearly Gates" Anybody want some? They don't have wi-fi there or I would take my Ipod and tell you exactly what they have. Let me know if anybody wants some and I will get a bunch. I'll be leaving in an hour or two.
;-) M

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #7176032

mekos - don't yo go catching a cold on us! Hot chocolate sounds good, except we're gonna be almost 100 today and over 100 this weekend! This is unusual weather for us too. It's cool at night - in the 60s, and normal temps for October are in the low 80s. I hope all the cool weather veggies I have sprouting everywhere will be OK. It will mean I have to water morning and night so the seeds don't dry out - argh! I still have my shade cloth on thank God! Normally I would have taken it down already, but it's been such weird weather I left it up - good thing!

Anyone have any big plans for the weekend?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #7176286

Hey Mechelle, I'd love a couple packs of those white morning glory seeds. I'll be happy to send you some cash to pay for them. I was watching mine for seeds but they aren't any and Hollyhock wants some seeds. So if you can pick up a couple for me, I'll send her a pack and she will have some, in case mine don't make the seeds in time for me to catch them. Let me know if you get them and how much and I'll send you the money.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

October 16, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #7176670

goood afttteer nooon all
how is everyone doing. well i wish i was getting snow tired of the heat. well off to football just stopped in to say hello
blondie
seray53

October 16, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #7176776

Hey Blondie Hav Mo Fun!

We miss ya! Hope your boys win tonight!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #7176868

Been outside raking leaves for a while.. gonna head to the store pretty soon if anyone else wants seeds besides Mekos ;-) M
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #7176890

I'll try a pack or two of those if you can Mechelle, will trade off for some sunflowers or whatever.

Al
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #7177003

Gotcha Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #7177238

That is really sweet of you Mechelle. Thanks a lot.
Edited to say- Huney I got your envelope ready to go with the purple moon vine seeds and put in several surprise packs. Hope you enjoy them.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2009 7:51 PM

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #7178002

Mechelle - got the biggest Spider Lily bulbs in the mail today I ever did see - lol. Thanks!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #7178042

Good night everyone. Back tomorrow and maybe it will be a better day.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2009

Post #7178339

Ok Guys I am back and here is what I bought:

3 packs of Morning Glory "Pearly Gates" THE LAST ONES THEY HAD :-O
2 for Mekos 1 for lycodad - GONE

6 Packs Morning Glory "Clarkes Heavenly Blue" 2 LEFT
1- Jerodsmom
1-lycodad
1-locakelly
1-meickle2003

10 packs Morning Glory "Choice Mixed Colors" (pinks & purples) 4 LEFT
1- Jerodsmom
1- Mine
1- lycodad
1-blondhavmofun
1-locakelly
1-Meickle2003

5 packs Cosmos "Sea Shells Mixed Colors" (whites & pinks) 2 LEFT
1-Mine
1-locakelly
1-huneybunch
5 packs Cosmos "Singe Sensation Mixed Colors" (whites, reds, pinks) 2 LEFT
1-Mine
1-locakelly
1- huneybunch
10 packs Shasta Daisy "Alaska" 5 LEFT
1- Mine
1-locakelly
1-jerodsmom
1-meickle2003
1-huneybunch
2 packs Aster "Crego Mixed Colors" (white pink purple) GONE
1- Jerodsmom
1-huneybunch
2 packs Marigolds "French Dwarf Double Mixed Colors" (oranges and yellows) 1 LEFT
1-huneybunch
2 packs Marigold "Safari Mix" 1 LEFT
1-huneybunch
2 Packs Marigold "Disco Mix" Gone
1-huneybunch
1-surprise
1 Pack African Daisy "Mixed Colors- Mine GONE

1 Pack Bachelor Buttons "Polka Dot Mixed Colors - Mine GONE

Dmail me if you want any of them- They were cheap so I'm really not worried about it, but if you send me sasbe I will send them or if you want to send seeds, we'll call it even. I will continue to edit this until they're gone.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2009 1:09 PM

This message was edited Oct 17, 2009 10:55 PM

This message was edited Oct 18, 2009 2:49 PM

This message was edited Oct 19, 2009 9:15 PM
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #7179833

Ok guys, I got 2 more grow lights last night and have a nice big tray I want to start. Here's what I am interested in starting but need advice. I am starting them in the house but hope they will go in the greenhouse shortly:

Hollyhock
Purple Lupine
Datura
Red Gerbera Daisy

Brugs are poisonous, right?

Thanks guys
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #7180810

Mechelle, ALL plants are poisonous if you eat them so just tell everyone to wash hands after handling them and don't eat them. It's just pets and small children you need to watch out about eating the plants, or putting stuff in their mouth. Christmas poinsettias are poison but people buy them every year. If you check you will find all plants are toxic if ingested so just watch small kids or pets around any plants you have. Thanks for the seeds, would you rather have seeds for them or the price? D-mail me and let me know so we can get it took care of. If I got any you want just let me know, otherwise I'll send you the money. You can start any seeds inside just fine just give them light and place on heat mat to keep warm. When they are big enough to transplant, go ahead and then put in greenhouse. They should do good. Hollyhocks can be planted outside now. They are hardy here. I'm zone 7.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #7181544

Hi Mekos,
Yeah my Brug looks so beautiful and I transplanted them all into bigger pots today. I have this pretty clay pot I put it in and I wanted to put it on the floor in my dining room but I was worried Roxy & Harley (my mini poodles) might try it and get poisoned. I wanted to choke my SIL because she put one of her avocado plants on the floor and attempted to tell me "oh it's not poisonous".. well maybe it's not, but just like with a toddler you just don't do it- just in case. but whatever. I moved it after she left. >:-) I will dmail you about the seeds. I keep forgetting you are in the same zone as me.

Guys, I have been having a tough day today with my son. He has the "I'm 18 and think I know it all's" I sooo cannot wait until he has kids of his own. I just wanna laugh my head off at him when he is perplexed and frustrated by them and calls me up wanting to know what to do about it, lol... I can see myself right now sitting there with the phone up to my ear lmbo, lol.. But on to plants and happy thoughts! At least they don't talk back! LOL

I haven't ever started seeds outside before. I have a ton of trades going on right now (too many I think) and have to write everything down now so I don't forget anything. I have done 19 trades since Sept 15- crazy huh? Had to get a book and call it "Plant Trades" just to keep it organized. It helps though.

We are finally working on that huge tree stump in front of my walkway. Got it about half down now. DH used the chainsaw while I raked up wood and sawdust and dug around the base of the tree while DS hauled of the grass and dirt from my digging. That alone took half the day. Then we had to move the roundpen. I am pooped and ready for one of our Mojito's before bed. Hagn and talk to you guys tomorrow. I still need to figure out what seeds I am gonna start!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 18, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7182156

Thank you mekos for the seeds you have for me( sorry was away for a few days and wasnt ignoring your question about any other seeds I wanted)...I went to the mid south dg round-up yesterday... We had a wonderful time...Wow I got sooooo many plants and now i have soooo much work to do...Those LG beds arent nearly big enough to hold all the things I brought home...I never seen so many plants in need of a new home... The people there was so generous...We had great food and toured an old mill site that had beautiful gardens...

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/Roundup1016172009?auth...

heres a link to some of the photos that were taken the mill pics are towards the bottom...These arent my pics but some one of the ladies posted already...

Mechelle I would love to have some of those cosmos and I bet i have some daylilies I can share with you... I received alot of no name unregistered ones if you would like to have some of those... and some named ones I got more than one of...Im going to get out there later and divied them up and see what all i can get planted...Let me know If you would like some of them I saw you had a thread open looking for daylilies...

Ok my friends I will talk to you later my son is hungry(always) and flowers are begging for some good fresh soil... Trish
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7182600

Hi huney.. did you say it was a DG roundup? Did you want both packs of each that are left of the Cosmos? I would love any daylilies you could send. I have about 10 ft on the left side to fill and about 15 ft on the right side to fill. Not asking for that much, just sayin', lol. I have a lot of other seeds I could send you also, just lmk which ones you are looking for.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #7182636

Will some one tell me why Lemon Verbena is so hard to find? Is it rare or something?
I have went to some of the seed COs and can't even find the seed for it.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #7182704

Haven't a clue Flower but I have lemon verbena if you want me to start you some of it?
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #7182785

Oh yes would you please? Can I send you something in return?
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #7183102

Yes I'll start you some and no nothing in return for it you've already spoilt me enough.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2009
9:03 PM

Post #7183167

LOL I have some seed that I would send you if you want. I just got thru cleaning some Purple obedient plants seed and lavender rose of sharon and purple aster BUSH type. I don't have many of each but would share with you.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #7183306

No mamm DH thinks I need to work on my seed addiction. Probably cause there's seeds in the refrigertor, seeds in the bedroom, seeds in the bathroom oh and seeds in the china cabinet and more seeds to come in. I told him some are going to Sis next time we visit her but I didn't mention she's getting me more seeds or plants I forget which.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2009
10:15 PM

Post #7183380

Hello All

Finished planting the rest of my bulbs this afternoon, thanks all for contributing. They are now sleeping comfortably in my garden bed for their long winter nap. I still have one small bag of garlic sets (about 15 bulbs) left over if anybody wants them, just enough to get started. I swap for homemade cookies, you know.

Al
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2009
11:19 PM

Post #7183643

Now there's a great hint right there, Al!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2009
12:52 AM

Post #7184079

What kind of homemade cookies? I usually start trying new cookie recipes out about this time of the year.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #7184769

Most any kind will do, I'm not fussy...

Folklore says that if you wear a string of garlic around your neck it will ward off the vampires and werewolves on Halloween. Of course it also might ward off a lot of other folks, too, like your friends and family. Thought you'd like to know.

Al
seray53

October 19, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #7186120

Morning everyone!!

Chilly! Big weekend for our town. 1000's descended on our small community for the Great Ogeechee Seafood Festival. Music, food and KIDS! LOL We have celebs here who turn out being so close to Savannah. Motorcycle clubs from all over the state. Every club in town has a booth for seafood boils and fried oysters etc. It's the last big party until March for St. Patty's day in Savannah. For an area who lives to party this is the cat's meow.

Ogeechee is on of America's cleanest rivers that flows into the Atlantic. They used to pull their shrimp boats here and unload. They still drop off fresh shrimp at one of the grills down the road. Nice place to take friends who visit.

Henry Ford took this small town, renamed it to Richmond Hill and built his summer place. Built a catholic church for his wife. Daycare for his workers. A bakery, school etc. The land and home he owned is a private gated community right on the Ogeechee. They'll let you in for a tour once a year if you have $30.

Guess who hasn't gone. LOL

Have a great day. Watch that garlic necklace! Cue won't like it. lol
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #7186138

Goodmorning everyone...I wanted to stop and speak im on my way out to see where to put all these remaining flowers from the RU... Im not talking about a few of them either must be at least75more pots left out there to be planted...Guess I will have a busy day... Then football game tonight at the school... Hope everyone has a great day ..Trish
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #7186267

Good Morning e1, gorgeous day here, but a little windy. Had freeze warnings from 2 am -9am. Does anyone know if that means our frost date this year is not accurate due to weather change? IDK, just askin', lol

Seray, That sounds like an awesome time. Interesting history. Wonderful that you know all the history about your community. I will have to look that up on the internet. We have a neat place like that not too far from here called Pickwick Dam. Haven't really checked it out past the dam (it was so cold the day we were there) but they have camping, fishing, water skiing, and islands you can cruise to if boating. It's right on the TN River. We are already making plans to go next summer with friends. I'm always first in line when it comes to planning or doing these kind of things.

I have many trades going right now (I think 14) .. These will be the last I am doing til next year. If anyone else wants some of those seeds, just LMK. Have a good day everybody!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #7188262

Well Mechelle, I got fooled with a frost and freeze last night and the almanac said it wouldn't happen till November. Boy did they get a wrong number. Got another one tonight coming in. So glad I got the greenhouse finished because I was planning to wait untill next month to do it, but my son wanted to get it done sooner. Glad I listened. He sure was right. My Beautiful angel trumpets are toast now, they were full of blooms yesterday. BUT the stalks are in the greenhouse in water to root and the feet are all composted and mulched over.
Hunney, I sent your seeds off a few days ago so they are on their way to you ,sent several for you to try. Hope you like them.
Al, I make some killer pina colada cookies, probably will be doing some later this week so I'll send you some to try. I think I have plenty of bulbs but will share some cookies with you. Have you ever tried the cake in a cup? You use a large coffee (mug)-cup and put the flower, cocoa, sugar and milk, chocolate chips and nuts, and put in microwave for like 1or 2 minutes and it's done. Let it cool and it's enough for 2 people. It will rise up above the cup but it won't run over. So cute to watch and so easy and fun to make. Tastes great. I'll hunt the recipe for you .

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #7188411

The cake sounds cool mekos! There's an emelette recipe like that you cook in ziplocs in the microwave and it works!

Sorry about your brugs:~(
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #7188824

Aww Mekos ;-( Silly Old Jack Frost .. Hate him.. I had freeze warnings last night too from 2am -9am. Didin't look like anything of mine got hit. By next summer I will have plenty of Brug cuttings to share with you to replace the ones you lost. Jerodsmom really is awesome. I have a few cuttings of pink Angels coming, if I get lots, I will share and also give you one of my Rosalla- I have 2. If you want I can root it for you before I send it. I am gettin' kinda good at rooting things. I have 3 blue hydrangea cuttings, 2 gardenia and an azalea going right now. Also a couple of Turk's cap. So far so good. I planted a ton of new seeds. I will tell you later- they're in there and I'm in here, lol .. I know one was some of Al's sunflowers he sent me today, and 4 brug crossed seeds, Dierama Fairy's wand, Shasta Daisy, African Daisy, aww I forget the rest, lol. I planted some peach and hot pink canna, and I got some new EE's- African Mask, Black Magic, and Illusion (or something like that) .. I'm running out of hanging space, porch space, kitchen space, dining room space, and windowsills.. lol but I love it. Had a rough day. Thank God I have gardening as therapy. Teenagers.. GN Everybody
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #7188865

Yea Loca. I saw that where they cooked an omlett in the baggie. Mix it up the night before if you need extra time before morning and just pop it in and it cooks great in a few minutes. I think that one was done in boiling water. Great ideas in little time. I liked the cake in a cup because you can do a small one fast and not have a lot of extra to nibble on all week or throw out if it doesn't get eat, you make a single serving at a time. Even kids can do this one easy.
Dangerous Chocolate cake in a cup

You need one coffee mug-large one
4Tbs. cake flour(plain-not self rising)
4Tbs.sugar
2Tbs.cocoa
3 Tbs oil
1 egg
3Tbs.milk
splash vanilla
3Tbs.chocolate chips
3Tbs nuts(optional)
(you can Mix this all in the mug so not necessary to dirty up another container.)
Add dry ingrediants, mix wellwith fork, add egg, mix, pour in milk, oil, and vanilla- mix well. Add chips and nuts. Place in microwave for 3 minutes. Cake will rise above cup but will not spill over. Allow to cool and tip on to plate or eat out of cup. Not necessary to use icing if you use chocolate chips, it will be very moist.
So go to the microwave- you are only 5 minutes from a cake anytime day or night. If you really want to, you can add some cool whip to top.( but not necessary.)

Pina Coloda cookies
1 box pinapple cake mix
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon rum
1 cup coconut
preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix and spoon to pan and cook for 12 minutes.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #7188891

Oh Mechelle, I didn't lose them, this happens every year. They always come back, I just wasn't expecting it to happen this soon. It was full of blooms. It wasn't suppose to frost utill mid Nov. I was hopeing for a little more time to see them before the frost came. They didn't get bit bad, but with another frost coming tonight, I went ahead and cut them and took the tops inside to root. I'll have more in spring than I can shake a stick at. Those will be back also that I left in ground. I never take them up out of ground, they always come back. But thanks again for thinking of me. That was sweet. Hope tomorrow is better. Kids will do it to ya. Just rip your heart out at times. THANK GOD mine are grown. They still do it but it's a little easier to deal with later on.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2009
5:03 AM

Post #7189027

Good Mekos, I hate it when my favorite plant dies or isn't doing well, so I felt for you. Glad they'll be ok. Yeah, kids. I told him I can see myself holding the phone up to my ear with him on the other line saying "Mom, the kids just won't mind and keep talking back" I am gonna LMAO and then release the mute button and pretend I'm mad about it..lol.. He's got me so mad at him I can't even speak to him right now. He is at that age where he's trying to form his own opinion about how to do things but they just don't get it that when you ask someone for help, usually you have it down from past experience. I can't stand when he wants to figure out a different way to do it or tell me another way is better, when I know it's not. Not saying I know everything, but sometimes, like I was at the moment, you just wanna get it done and not stand there and explain and discuss for 20 minutes. I always said oh it will be easier when they're 10, or 12 or 15.. I have a feeling it never gets easier, lol . That concludes my vent session! Thank ya lady, you always have a way of making me feel better.. ((hugs))
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #7189031

YUMMY recipes btw, Mekos
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #7189554

Cake in a cup, huh, this one I've got to try. Thanks Mekos.

Yes ladies, I do cook on occasion. Often as a matter of fact. Wifey is a music teacher and concert performer which leaves me to tend chores at home a lot. I'm twice retired and have more time to cook than she does. Some people even think I'm good at it (Ha!). Sorry girls, my wage rate is really steep and I don't do windows.

Sorry Ladies, the Magazine Grab is over. I sent the whole pile! Thanks for your help.

Al

This message was edited Oct 20, 2009 3:44 PM

This message was edited Oct 21, 2009 6:01 PM
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #7189732

I'd take the Mother Earth News, Al. Thank you!
Let me know what postage would be..

This message was edited Oct 20, 2009 9:12 AM
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #7189831

Al I would take the Taste Of Home. Let me know the postage for them.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #7189872

Well I don't know which threasd she has been on with us but thought I would say everybody wish blondie a Happy Birthday.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #7189895

*+*+*+**+*+*++*+*+**HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLONDIE*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Thumbnail by MechelleT

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #7189906

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLONDIE
MAY YOUR DAY BE SPECIAL
MAY THIS NEXT YEAR OF YOUR LIFE BE FILLED WITH LOVE AND FLOWERS GALORE
BEST WISHES ALWAYS
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2009

Post #7189912

Hey, it's also Jerodsmom's birthday

*+*+*+*+**++**+*+*+ HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERODSMOM+*+*+*+*+**+*+***+

haven't seen you in a while.. Come Back!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #7189917

Happy Birthday jerrodsmom !!!!!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #7189949

♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ Happy Happy Birthday to blondie and Jerodsmom ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #7189971

Oh, my goodness. When yer hot, yer hot! I'm getting hit on all over! I'm also adding "Garden Gate" to my list of mags to go. Let me know if you can use. Thanks all!

Al
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
4:22 PM

Post #7190004

*\0/*HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLONDIE*\0/*
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #7190026

Hey Little BUDDY, Hope you have the best, BLESSED day ever. Wishing all good things to you especially today. Love you girl. Happy Birthday to YOU.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

October 20, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #7190043

well hello everyone,
thank you all sooo much, i took a paid day for my birthday so i could sit back and have the house to my self for the day, well back fire the husband is home lol, i cant seem to have a day to my self and my plants, i am cleaning the spare room getting ready if i have to bring plants in, that is when i get off the couch lol
well i will be in and out.
by the way loca my sons team won 5 games in a row yipppppeee. you all have a good day i am going back to the couch to watch a movie.

thanks again all
blondie

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #7190063

Glad you get the day off blondie! I bet your son is excited to be on a winning streak!! Yipee!!

Enjoy your movie!
seray53

October 20, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #7190068

Recipe looks delicious Mekos. I have just the cup. :)

How about making papercrete containers with them AL? Here's the link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/472203/

As long as they pulp down I think you can use magazines.
seray53

October 20, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #7190176

I had a delay before posting and when I can back there was a party.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BLONDIE!!!! May you have many many more!

Same to you Jerodsman. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #7190293

Happy Birthday Jerodsmom
May it be full of sunshine and blessings
May this next year of your life be filled with lots of love and gardening time
Happy Birthday
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

October 20, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #7190732

*****happy birthday jarodsmom******

blondie
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #7191401

Happy Birthday Blondie, may your day be filled with sunflowers!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2009

Post #7191432

Beautiful Al.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #7191453

Beautiful as usual Al. HI Mekos
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #7191520

Hi Mindy. Hope everything is good with you.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #7191528

Al I'd be happy to take the Garden Gate off your hands...

Loca- how do you guys get the bold font and little musical notes to appear? Do you have to type html code?
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #7191532

Purdy sunflowers too Al
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7191682

Happy birthday Blonde and jerodsmom... Hope you both had a great day...

I spent mine in the Dr's office my son had poison ivy all over his face again...I'll be glad when winter comes just to get some relief from that...

I received some nice dahlia tubers today, now im not sure if it would be better to plant them or store them till next spring...Usually we dont get many freezes here and I leave my other in the ground, but the roots are established on them... What do you all think I should do? I mulch heavily to add protection so far they have returned in great shape but that was the smaller variety, this is the DP type...your opinions will be greatly appreciated
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #7191769

Hey- did you guys see the live chat thingy on the home page? Live Chat!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7191783

Hi everyone!

Mechelle - you hold the alt key and type different numbers and get different symbols... and html code for the bold and italics and such. There's a thread that tells some examples...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1000731/#top

and here for the limited .html formatting tags within posts that are allowed:

http://davesgarden.com/faq/forums/#131

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #7191784

Yup - sometimes the chat room is full, sometimes not - lol.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #7191847

Huney, I have never personally had it, (knock on wood) but my son got it once this year. Poor guy was itchin' all over before we realized what it was. I have seen some bad pictures on the internet of what poison Ivy can do to people and I just don't go outside without the bug spray, long socks, long pants, and boots. Definitely never without gloves either. It's so hard to limit younger kids from running around outside.

Loca this is kinda fun playing with the alt button & number keys! lol ☺╞♥♦♣♠◘○◙ ♂♀♪♫☼►◄↕‼▬
ok, that was 22, lol funny! I am gonna go read that thread, lol

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #7191892

Learn something everyday, huh? Good info in those threads . . .
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #7191908

He he .. learn something new every day don't you? Well I am going to hit the hay early you guys, got a lot of work to get done here tomorrow and lots of trades to get sent out. HAGN!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #7191920

Me too, good night all.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #7191935

Yeah my son loves the woods and now its close to hunting season and he has been getting his stand ready and feeding the poor critters...Ha guess thats the price you have to pay... Tho I do hate to see him suffer...My brother was hospitalized for having it even in his eyes he was so swollen he could hardly see...I hear there is an herbal drink you have to take 3 doses of , one a month ..Then after that it supposed to help make you immune for a while...I have a friend who tried it and for 3 years she didnt get any poison ivy..Guess for 35 dollars we may give it a try...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #7191941

Good night you guys...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2009
11:29 AM

Post #7192776

Goodmorning everyone...hot and muggy here looks like rain... ughhhh the water level is so high Bayou Bartholowmew is out of its banks and half way covering the road...The lake is lapping at the edge of the road all the ditches are full and alot of crops still under water... The weather man says we may have up to 6 more inches coming today or tonight...I dont know where the excess is gonna go...My iris bed just got dry... Im hoping the weatherman is wrong!!!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #7192856

Huney, I had a serious case of poison ivy a while back, went to my doctor with it. She recommended cutting the end of an old stocking, putting one cup of ordinary oatmeal in it and tie off. It's then used as a soak in a nice warm bath. Trust me, it's a little messy but works great to reduce the swelling and itching. It cleared up my ivy problem in a couple of days. You can also buy "Aveno" stuff at the store, but it's very expensive and it's nothing more than refined oatmeal.

Al

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

October 21, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #7193039

Good morning all! Whew, made it home and boy is that hard work sitting in a vehicle for days! Not used to sitting that long, so was hard on our tushes! 1300 miles one way! lots of sitting!
Happy belated birthdays to Blonde and Jerodsmom! Hope your year is filled with good health and all your wishes come true!
Al, would love some of your backyard living mags if you still have them.
Kelly, was great meeting you! Wish we had more time so we could have done more! Man, it is hot in your country! LOL! No wonder everyone has a swimming pool! Hope next time will have more time for fun stuff and to be able to kick back and relax some! Would love to have an extra day or 2 to relax and visit more.
Came back to no snow, but rain and fog, so still can't get outside to get everything done! Drats!
seray53

October 21, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #7193242

Morning All

Warming back up here. Yeah!!! Now I might have time to get my GH up. Off to work.

Hope you have a great day. Glad to see you're back Skellogg.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #7193615

Morning Seray, Skellogg, everybody. It's warmer here this morning. Getting warmer everyday now. Just wanted to ruin my brugs I guess.
GOD bless this day for all my friends, fill it with your love and brightness. Bring joy and happiness to all as they go about their business and smile upon us all. Heal the sick and give strength to the weak, hold up the weary and open doors for all who need a better way. I thank you for all you are doing for us and am always looking to you for answers.
Hope you all have a beautiful ,joyful, special day.
Back later. Going to check on my Mom.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #7193714

Morning everyone!

Sandi - glad you made it back safely and the frozen north wasn't so frozen - lol. So wish we had more time so we could have hung out! Lots of fun stuff to do here and guess what? This week is not hot! It was 57 when I left for work this am and the high will only be around 85 today. Maybe fall is officially here after all. You came on the record heat days - lol.

huney - sorry about all your rain. If you could find a way you could always send some my way. I sure could use some.

Hope you all have a great day!

Tubby - if you're reading this I hope today is a good day for you! My thoughts and prayers are with you!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #7193797

You guys have to see this
http://www.pawnation.com/2009/10/21/nora-the-piano-playing-cat-honored-by-aspca/?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl8|link3|http://www.pawnation.com/2009/10/21/nora-the-piano-playing-cat-honored-by-aspca/#
seray53

October 21, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #7193907

Loved that Arejay!!!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #7194071

Me too had to share!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #7194172

Seray, I got the bulbs today and thank you so much. That was really sweet of you. They are going into my DG friends memory garden. I can't wait to see them bloom. Thanks. Hope you are having a great day.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #7194182

HI Mekos hope your day is going great too.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #7194212

Hi Mindy. It finally stopped raining and started warming up and I went to spend a little time with my Mom and picked up a gallon of pecans for her from her trees. Came home and gathered seeds from the red Japanese maples to sow for spring trees. I found a few muskadine plants that are small but the white scuppernong are huge roots, however, I will keep an eye out so when any sprouts that I can dig, you are welcome to them. Give me a week or so and I'll see if my cousin has any small ones from her vines. I can probably find you some over the weekend. We have vinyards all around here and I just have to go out that way and look.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #7194825

Thanks Ladies, the Magazine Grab is over. I found new homes for the whole pile! Enjoy!

Al
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #7194843

Thanks Mekos I appreciate you going to the trouble to find DH grapevines for the orchard. He is really tickled to get something after seeing all those packages come in for me LOL. Have you tried rooting cuttings from them? He's got two muscadines thanks to Seray. And Arejay is sending him a purple one she doesn't know what is.

Didn't take long to get those magazines headed to a new home did it AL
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #7194848

I have a big stack I probably need to offload too, maybe after all these trades and seed packets are gone.. Back outside.. had to grab some spaghetti and a cold Bud Light, lol.. I'm not a beer person but it just sounded good. Dug at least 75 daylilies, 30 TB Iris, and 3 clumps of Maiden Grass.. gotta go wash the rest of the DL and get them ready to go out. That maiden grass was a pain in the neck. It's so crowded and compacted it must have taken me an hour to get 3 clumps. And the soil is moist. Thats some tough stuff I tell ya.. whew..
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #7195559

Hey Mechelle, sounds like you had a rough day.
Well Mindy, I didn't think about rooting them, but I'm sure you could since they root if they lay on the ground. I can send you some clippings to try if you want to try, but I'll find you some anyway that are rooted. Just might take me a few days to go see some relatives that have them. I only got 1 vehicle right now and my husband uses it for work and my son uses it when he's not at work trying to get his clutch fixed in his so we have a hard time getting around right now, except for stuff that has to be done, other stuff has to wait. But don't worry. The grapes and stuff like that is good planted through march I believe so you will have plenty soon.
AL, you had some great magazines. I love birds and bloom. I use to subscribe to it, but haven't for a year or so. I didn't figure you would have trouble getting homes for them all.
The cat sure looked like he liked the piano playing. That was cool, Arejay.
Well, talk to you guys later. Good night everyone.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #7195645

The kitty did a great job playing LOL How is everyone? Haven't been on for a few days to really say Hi to everyone.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2009

Post #7196027

Hi Flower, I'm just checking in for a while. My cousin called-she is my prayer partner and we decided to do some praying so I just got finished up and thought I'd see who might still be up. Hope you had a good day Flower.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 22, 2009
11:54 AM

Post #7196470

Good morning all... The rain is falling here today... I thank the Lord for another beautiful day yesterday...I got all of my plants from the DG RU planted except an azalia tree and one pot of aster...

Mechelle I have you some daylilies will try to get them ready to go out to you today or tomorrow...Hubby is off today he fusses If I spend his off days paying more attention to plants than I do to him...I need to soak them good before I send them out they are starting to look a lil dry...

Hope you all have a great day...Stay well, warm and dry...Trish
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #7196653

Hi All,
Well the sun is shining for a little while here, but won't last. It is suppose to start raining around noon and I guess we will be inside for a couple of days now. Oh well guess I'll do some house cleaning Yuck :((((

mekos you have mail.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #7196934

Hi and a goody good morning to all, I'm off to get lab work done before my DR. app tomorrow so will check in later.
Flower, will d-mail when I return. We are having gorgeous weather now. Sunny and warm like it should be for this time of year.
Where is Arejay? Hope you are fine and having a great day girlfriend.
Well, I'm off, back in a few hours, I hope.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2009
3:13 PM

Post #7197003

Aww thank you Trish. Can't wait to get them. I might have som extra DL's, maybe I'll sneak you one or two in your package. GM Flower and Mekos. Lovely scripture card Jan. Supposed to rain here today too Flower. But I'm ok with that because it's gonna be in the mid 70's next week (((big smile)))

Courtney was asked by her high school to sing "The Star Spangled Banner" at tonights football game and tomorrow's. You know I am gonna record it and You know I am gonna post it.. HA

Have a good day today everyone. Tell somebody you love them. I'm going to.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7197027

I got invited to join this Thanksgiving Round Robin by someone I was trading with. Sign up if you're interested. I chose Turkey!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1049696/
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7197068

One more quick question before I get off of here. I have tons of Hosta, how do you collect the seeds?
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #7197259

Hello Everyone,
This is Mickey a newbie. I have not posted on here for several days although I do read all the posts every day. I thought I should tell a bit about myself. I am 47 and married to a wonderful man, David. We do not have any children but have a fur family consisting of 4 cats and one dog, if you would like to see them check out the pets forum under how many are in your zoo. We live in central Illinois and have a large vegetable garden and smaller flower and herb gardens. I love to garden although I have not been able to do so in several years as I am physically disabled by back problems and fibromyalgia. I am a retired nurse, which I was a nurse for 23 years.I recently had gastric bypass surgery for morbid obesity. With the surgery and weight loss I will again be able to garden this coming spring. I am so excited about the prospect of doing my own gardening again. My husband works for Wal-Mart in the dairy department. Oh and so far I really love this website, the subscription was a gift from a very special friend.

I think that is about it.
Thanks for all the welcome messages when I posted before.
Mickey
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #7197422

Hi Mickey, good to hear from you again!

Al
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #7197506

Mickey, thank you for telling us all about you. I don't know about other forums but I think we are all pretty close and know a lot about each other. Kind of like a big extended family all across the US. I think we are a great group- we have everything you need to be great gardeners. We all help each other out here in our forum with questions, comments, jokes, picture sharing, trading, sharing, sasbe, you name it. We do fun activities such as contests, auctions, and we'd be happy to have you in our group. So welcome back, and what a trooper you are! Good to have you.
Mechelle
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #7197703

I'm posting this picture of the mg that my daughter grew in Science class last year. It finally bloomed!

Thumbnail by LollyJean

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #7197737

HI Everyone Been a busy day hauling dirt but have the two beds ready for planting. Now if I can just muster up the energy to plant LOL.

And here's some pictures you might like. First the real Mindy

Thumbnail by Mindy03

flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #7197740

That's pretty Lolly. What did she think about it blooming?
Hi Mickey, I think it is wonderful that you decided to do the bypass. It has been a blessing to a very good friend of mine. She also was obese and had diabetes on top of it and they told her if she didn't get it done she wouldn't make it to her 40th B-day so she had it done and when I saw her the last time I almost didn't know who she was.
She has went from almost 300 LBS down to 138 and looks wonderful and I am sure you will too !!!!! Good for you !!!!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #7197741

Next her son Robbie my little buddy who has to be wherever I am.

Thumbnail by Mindy03

flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #7197744

Mindy those are so sweet. What are they?
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2009

Post #7197745

And her other son Smokey DH's favorite and our little rascal.

Thumbnail by Mindy03

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #7197751

Mindy is a purebred ah foot my brain went blank. Anyway the daddy was half chichiua and half german shepherd.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #7197758

If I can get DH to download some pics I want to show you all my 2 new babies. One is a male chihahua and the other one is part chihahua ,poodle and Pom. The mommy of the tiny baby is full blooded Chihahua.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

October 22, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #7197827

hi alll
thanks for the birthday wishes, went from work to red lobster last night came home and went to bed. i got a package yesterday from GAgirl, was two plants on my want list boy was i surprized that was really nice.

hi mickey, welcome aboard.

hey arejay, cool cat, i bet mine could do that if i had a piano. lol, that was too cute.

blondie
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
9:51 PM

Post #7198018

Mindy, those pups are really cute. Here is a pic of my boy Rusty.

Thumbnail by Meickle2003

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #7198385

Those beautiful fur balls look like Maltese. So cute.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #7198644

Well DH tried to down load those pics for me and the stupid computer decided to go nuts on him so he is going to try later.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2009

Post #7198754

Aren't they Yorkies? Very cute little guys
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #7199112

Yorkies are brown with silky hair. Maltese are white with long hair fluffy and non shedding. Hypoallergenic.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #7199130

This is my Yorkie.

Thumbnail by locakelly

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #7199144

And a very cute one I might add.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #7199156

Thanks! I like to think so, but of course I'm not real objective seeing he's my dog and all - lol. I like his hair longer like in the picture. A lot of people cut them real short and I think they look like little rats - lol. Too long and he's a mess to brush everyday. So he's got a happy medium haircut...
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #7199277

Very cute Loca

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #7199366

Thanks LJ! I personally think Yankee is the cutest dog in the whole wide world...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #7199430

Kelly, your puppy is so cute. I will have to get a good picture of Roxy & Harley. They are my black mini poodles. They are the loves of my life ;-) Here's a pic of them a year ago with our Shar-Pei Missy. I just love animals.

We bought another house today. I still can't believe it. We are going to rent the house out and use the 5 acres and barn for my horses. Maybe to my son. Idk, what a steal it was. Hard to pass up. It ends up costing me only $100 out of my pocket a month to do it, so hey. It's a small cute little house, needs a little tlc, but the property is all fenced off, has a pond behind the house, a 2 stall barn with possibility of 3 added to it, and a huge utility barn with a tack room that's bigger than my house. The horses will love it there and it will give us time to get our barn finished here and it will be easier without them here. Another 4.6 acres to plant flowers >:-) hehe

Courtney sang at the football game tonight and did an awesome job!! My eyes were watering the whole time she sang, trying not to ball. Her boyfriend was telling everybody "That was my girlfriend" It was cute. I messed up royally and left my camera at home. I am so mad at myself. One of the school administrators asked her to sing for the baseball team (which her boyfriend is on) so she is all excited about it. Still haven't heard about the Daryll Worley thing, but if she keeps putting herself out there,that's what counts. I admire her so much. She has so much potential and is so lucky to have so many good things happening for her.

Ok, time to end today's chapter of "As Mechelle's World Turns" Going to bed, gonna try to sleep, so much going on!
Nite!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #7199446

Mechelle, its wonderful that you got that house, your horses will definitely love the new space. Congrads to Courtney on her singing. How old is she?

I had a busy day for me. I went to the hospital to see my friend Jamie who had gastric bypass on Tuesday. She is doing just fine. After that I had tai chi class for an hour and then I went to the sewing machine store to ask about my sewing machine. Unfortuantely they told me that my machine can not be fixed so I am going to have to look into getting a new machine. On the way home (a 30 minute drive) I started having a migraine which made it rough to drive. When I got home I went right to bed, but now I am feeling better and cant seem to go to sleep so here I am typing.

I guess I had better stop rambling. Night all!!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #7199457

Mechelle - the doggies are real cute! They look sooooooo innocent...

You should be so proud of Courtney! I think it's awesome. And way cool on the house. Now is the time to buy if you can afford to. There are some great deals out there.

Mickey - do you have a freecycle network where you're at? I see people giving away sewing machines a lot on there and people asking for them too... Or Craigslist, but I like freecycle better...
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2009
4:26 AM

Post #7199493

oh wow, thank you locakelly, i hadnt though of freecycle. I just joined that in my area. I will go post a request for a sewing machine and see what happens,
Thank you so much.
Mickey

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009
4:37 AM

Post #7199513

Anytime! Freecycle rocks!
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2009
12:13 PM

Post #7199860

locakelly I made my post on freecycle this morning so now begins the waiting and watching.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #7200401

Yeah! Hope you get a sewing machine. Be sure to let us know. There are some cool folks on freecycle!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2009

Post #7200455

Rainy day here so might not be doing any flower bed improvements today depends on whether it quits later. Meanwhile, here's some more pictures to brighten your day
Baby afghans

Thumbnail by Mindy03

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #7200457

Second one

Thumbnail by Mindy03

Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #7200464

And last a wall hanging made from jeans sewing thread

Thumbnail by Mindy03

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009

Post #7200487

Mindy those are great! The jeans thread one is cool. Did you buy the thread or take apart lots of jeans - lol?!?!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #7200535

Bought it think it took 14 spools lost count so not sure I'm too lazy to take jeans apart I just wear them til they fall apart on their own

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #7200714

Very cool! You have way more patience than I do - lol.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

October 23, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #7200737

Wow, Mindy! That jeans thread one is way cool! I love it, but I am so not handy when it comes to that kind of stuff! Really admire people who can do that! What a talent!
So proud of our Courtney, Mechelle! And congrats on the new house. Your horses are going to love it! And think of the stuff you can plant and the LG gardens you now will have space for. Teehee! Start making your lists of what and where to plant, so we can start sending you seeds and goodies!
Kelly you have such a cute little one! Next time I'm down there, will have to plan on meeting the little one. I always miss mine so much when I'm away.
Our DG family has such good looking hairy families, don't we?
Tubby, if you're reading this, just wanted you to know that my prayers and healing thoughts are with you. Shirley, you take care too!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #7200765

LOL - I think we have more fur babies than people babies . . . Hopefully by the time you come back to Phoenix Sandi Yankee will be out of his puppy phase . . . He gets so excited to see people he doesn't know he pees on them - lol.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #7201729

OK breaking out the doggie diapers.
Mechelle, I LOVE Sharpeis. My GREATEST WEAKNESS. Yes congratulations on the new house, now I'll have a place to stay when the groupies come back to rest up before the next gig again.
Tubby and Shirley, we're all praying for you. Get well soon and feel better soon.
Mindy, we gonna have to make a deal on the colored blocked one. I got a grandbaby on the way. I'll d-mail a little later. Be thinking on a price if you would like to sell it. They are all beautiful.
It's trying to keep raining here still but it needs to go ahead and pass over.
Hope everyone is having a great day. Making cheese cake for the meeting tonight. Gonna swirl chocolate on top, and a few drops of cool whip. Then there will be the regular piggys wrapped in blankets and margaritas and mojitos. When it gets a little bit cooler, them piggys don't know it but we gonna wrap them in aluminum foil and bake them babies and munch away. Back later for the meeting.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #7202412

I didn't know you liked Shar-Pei's Mekos! That's cool. Most people out here look at her like "what the heck is that" She's a little sweetie. Webought her at a flea market when we first came out here and went up north to go visit relatives. I fell in love with Roxy and Harley that day and my DH fell in love with Missy! We couldn't decide and the kids were all in love so we bought all 3 that day. She is AKC bred and registered and we bought her from her breeders that day. They also had her brother. You would never want to take me in a pet store or animal shelter. Nope! Ask DH- he will tell ya. Oh and remember the poor dog I rescued? Yeah well whatever, I am keeping him and we named him Shiloh. He looks great and has really bonded with Raider and Missy and he doesn't cower down wen you go to pet him anymore. He likes to run and hunt though and I kinda don't like him teaching Raider that but Raider has always been good with other animals, especially cats and skinks, lol. He backed a skink in the corner in the backyard in Calif one time and it must have run under the house somehow but our whole house smelled like a skink for about 3 days!
I literally look like the Pied Piper when I go out to feed the horses or work in the yard. I always let them out of the backyard to get some exercise and they just follow me in a line with all 5 tails wagging. And I know I told you guys I have an unheard of amount of cats- I think 12 or 14- I lost count! Believe it or not, my dogs and cats get along. They lay on the ground and roll around and play. I will have to share some pics. If I could only teach the cats and mice and birds to be friends! LOL

Thumbnail by MechelleT

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #7202451

I use to grow Sharpeis. Mine were akc registered. I had the Jade east blood line. They sold for 1000.00. They were champion show dogs. I was younger and had a kennel back then. I got too old to go mess with delivering babies all night and staying up for nights at a time to keep mama from laying on them and sold all we had and moved down here. I had a cream colored one named Wind Dancer. I called her dancer. She was my baby. I had old english mastiffs. Huge babies. And raised a bobcat on a bottle who grew up with the dogs and thought he was a dog.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #7202613

aww how cute! One of Courtney's friends out here has 2 baby raccoons that she has raised and bottle fed. They are soo dang cute. When she would come to stay the night she had to bring them and wake up every 4 hours to feed them.

Well I grew up going to dog shows almost every weekend because my parents showed and bred Dobermans. I was a very independent child and would wander the shows either by myself or with children from other people showing or friends I would bring. I loved it. But I always made it back to see our dogs show. We always had different handlers and even flew our dogs all over the place to be shown by other handlers. I remember one year we were showing at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, Ca and the Dobermans were next to the Saint Bernard's and I spent the whole morning hugging every Saint Bernard down the whole row. LOL. They were like big huge teddy bears to me. I couldn't have been more than 6 or 7. My mom had to keep telling me "you have to ask before you just go up and hug someone's dog" I think she was afraid if they would bite me but I didn't think they had a mean bone in their body. Do you remember the old Warner Bros cartoons that had the Saint Bernard with the whisky barrel around their neck? I asked my dad "why don't they have those water jugs around their necks? He laughed and told me it's not water, it's whiskey and that's just on the cartoon" Those were some of the best days of my life growing up.

There was a time when we had 27 Doberman's in our kennel. My mom did all the tail cropping and ear docking and even tattooing. Ours were trained commands in German. That way nobody else could tell your dog what to do. Someday I would like to own another Doberman. They are so smart and loyal.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 24, 2009
4:37 AM

Post #7202685

I had the min pins. Miniature dobermans. I bought mine(chinese sharpei) from the kennel with the champion dogs. She showed them and was the president of the sharpei club in greenville. But getting invited from the big westminster kennel club show was as close as I ever got. I didn't go, that was when I was starting to have health issues. I wish I could have, I got mine to show, and we had a show at her house every Christmas but I never went to the big ones. Well, I got to go to bed. More later.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2009
9:15 AM

Post #7202857

Good Morning everyone,
I see you are all raising dogs and buying houses and afghans are coming out . Winter is here.
I just did my last plant swap of the year:( winter is here hail this morning. I must have had one to many Mojitos even though I missed the meeting it must have been by osmosis as I left out the garlic and a plant I don't even know what it is and poor Mindy huh nothing. Lets not even talk about Michelle's blueberries. Where my time is going I have no idea. I am looking forward to the snow as I don't go far when the snow comes anymore. Maybe I can get something done.
Tubby I am thinking of you. Mickey my soon to be daughter in laws name is Mickey she is a teacher second grade. I am so glad to see that you have returned and are chatting with everyone. Kelly that is one cute puppy you have there I have always had a fondness for them they have a permanent smile on their faces. Poodles I love them too I had one when I was very young Pierre was his name jet black. He was so smart ion ways and so not so smart in others. He had a horrible habit of sneaking out and trying to nap in the road. Right in the middle of the road I never understood it.
I am having trouble imagining a Chihuahua Shepherd mix. Which one is that? Did you post a picture?Was that you Mickey? Mechelle you have got to be so proud of Courtney. I was never good at even public speaking at her age never mind singing. You go Courtney.Hi Skell how are you are you buried in snow now?
Still counting seeds here Jan. You are incredible the Auction idea wow it was great the people that have noticed that you don't even know noticed!! Seed counting daily. We have more people from parts of the country that weren't really active showing up too...Jan I got some Tropical seeds that are not really a usual thing to get thought you might trade them up for herbs. Are you interested in doing the Auction for me. I ll get you the name of them .Dmail when you are up to an auction ok
Hugs to you all,
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2009
1:20 PM

Post #7203118

Good morning everyone. Misty rain here hope it clears up later so I can finish unloading mulch.
Robin here's a picture of Buddy the Chihuahua/Shepherd mix. We think the Shephered was one of the smaller breed of german shepherd.

Thumbnail by Mindy03

flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #7203149

Morning All,
Not raining but really cloudy and dreary. Hi arejay ! Mindy your little dog is beautiful. Looks a lot like my Lizzy girl, but she is full blooded Chihauhua. I didn't get no blueberries either arejay.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #7203212

G' Morning Everyone - Road trip planned to "the city" today, be back sometime tomarrow. Have a good weekend all.

Al
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7203413

Morning everyone! I am going to be busy cleaning up the horses and getting them moved over to the other barn today. I'm so excited about getting them in a nice clean mud free stall. They are up to their ears in mud right now just from the rain we had this week. I can't stand looking out there seeing them like that. At least with them over there we can get this finished over here. It's not supposed to rain today but it is colder than heck.

Mekos, Min Pins are honery little stinkers, huh? I love them just the same but my mom has a Min Pin and his name is Cowboy. I have pictures of him sitting on Silver in the saddle. They're on my laptop which I haven't been on in forever. really cute though. She also has African Grey Parrots.

My best friend in the whole entire world is coming to visit me tonight and tomorrow from California. I miss her so much. Hard to believe I haven't seen her in over a year. I may not be on much this weekend but you guys have fun and enjoy your weekend. Talk to you soon! Mechelle
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2009

Post #7203688

Good morning everyone, I am a bit late this morning. I am having a wonderful day!! I weighed this morning and I have lost another 9 pounds and have broken through the 300 mark, I am so excited!! That makes a total of 58 pounds since August 31. Outside it is sunny but cool and breezy.

Today is laundry day so I cant spend much time here.

Love the pictures of the puppies, I love dogs and cats. Here is a pic of my babies.

Thumbnail by Meickle2003

flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7204001

Mickey so good to hear you lost more. You'll make it girl.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2009

Post #7204005

HI Flower yep Buddy was a sweetheart but we don't have him anymore. Lil' Smokey is just like him in most of his ways though so it's like he's still here.

Yay Mickey you'll do it.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

October 24, 2009

Post #7204121

Way to go Mickey! I have faith that you will do it!
Mechelle, have a wonderful weekend visiting with you bestest friend!
Rainy, cold, and windy here, so another day without getting anything done outside! Foggy again, too. Man, if they are right about bad weather 6 weeks after fog, we are going to have nothing but bad weather for all of November and December at this rate! LOL
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #7206074

Mekos I received my seeds...I cant wait till spring so I can try my hand at sprouting all these different seeds... Im hoping my yard will have many flowers in bloom this next year...Thanks to all who have sent me seeds or flowers this years...Its been a blast...

Thanks AL for those magazines...They will give me ideas of what to do with all my flowers next year...

Hope you all have a great day...Trish

Im afraid when I go out this morning there may not be anything left in LG bed I made down beside the house... There has been up to 4 bucks out there eating most of the night...I have really enjoyed watching them... My boys have droooled over shooting them... water is still covering much of their natural habitat forcing them out in the open to feed... We have put out corn and acorns for them to munch on...If they are still around when Deer season begins(gun hunt) they better beware of those young Spaulding boys who may have them in their sites...Old Spaulding boy may too lol ... I think he DH would rather just watch them, than kill them...He thought it was funny they were eating all around my flower bed... I hope they were eating the pecan hulls or something... If I go out and they have eaten all my flowers they may not have to wait on those Spaulding boys cause I might take them out first...Trish

Wonder where my dog was when I needed him... He was prob hiding up front under the shed...He probably thought they were over sized dogs and ran to hide..Ha he is such a good boy and dont bother any thing including the deer...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2009
11:51 AM

Post #7206117

Good Morning,
Thank you for the picture of the shep/chi I just had trouble visulizing him. Mickey congrats!! My deer haven't arrived yet we will see which comes first the snow or the deer and the turkey. Funny they never bother my gardens...Have a good day everyone I am doing some mixing and potting today things coming in from the greenhouse.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #7206123

Morning arejay
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

October 25, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #7206181

Good morning everyone! Not too bad out this morning, about 30 degrees and just a touch of snow. If this weather doesn't clear up, might have to put out my fall lawn fertilizer with the snow on the ground! Teehee! Maybe when the sun is up I can get out and mulch some more tho.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #7206485

G' Morning Ladies, Happy Sunday

I need to ask for some advice if you can. I have several outside Geranium pots that are past their flowering prime, but not quite frozen just yet. Should I keep them in their pots and trim back the main stems, or shake them out and air dry the roots for transplant next year? I've heard that they are saveable but have never tried it before, usually ended up buying more new in the Spring. This is a new adventure for me. They were beautiful pots when in bloom. Can anybody help?

Al
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #7206525

Al,
If they are seasonal types I would just take them in and trim back a little and see what happens. In ME they have never survived but you can always try.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #7206553

Hi Al You can do it both ways from what I'm reading on another forum. I have one my sisiter wants me to try to save and I left it in the pot. they say just water once a month until sprinig.

Here's the link to the thread where someone asked about overwintering geraniums

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1043864/

And I read if you manage to overwinter them they will be bigger and bloom more
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #7206617

Thanks Ladies. I was looking, but you saved me about two hours of browsing around! I think you've pretty much said it.

Al
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #7206836

I overwintered some of my geraniums last year and they did fine. I took a couple of cuttings off mama and they are doing great. I kept mine in GH, heated to approx 40. Temp goes down a bit lower than that when it is really cold (I didn't want to go outside and turn heat up - too cold for me, too.)

I dug up some geraniums and put them in a shed. Well, it was cold and damp in there because it leaks, and they got all moldy. So I tossed those out. Here it is a year later, and the shed still leaks. Errrr...
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #7206969

HI Lynn welcome to our place on DG. DH is fixing to turn a shed into a greenhoues for me now his boss has finally went to FL as of this morning. It leaks in one spot he thought he would get away with leaving it that way but was told nicely to fix it.

Glad to help AL took me a few minutes to remember where I saw that thread but I found it.
seray53

October 26, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #7208234

Hi Everyone

Ridesredmule and Charley have started us a Gothic garden thread. Come join us for some 'dark' humor. Here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1051108/
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #7212379

I think I am going to have to sign off for tonight girls. Talk to you all tomorrow.
Night.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2009
9:56 AM

Post #7212847

night
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #7213464

Good morning all... raining here again...least we did get the yard mowed...I dont know where any more water is going to go...we are all filled up already...Hope you all have a nice day...Im spending mine sorting thru seeds trying to finish up any active trades I have open...separating some for the piggy swap...are you guys participating in that this year... This will be my first year, I think I am totally unprepared...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009

Post #7213574

I was signed up for it, but I think I am just going to step out quietly. I just have too much going on to do it this time. Maybe next year, I am in another one for Thanksgiving that a trade friend invited me to join. But it sounds like a lot of fun huney. Raining here today- boohoo. Wanted to go outside and "play" today.

Al, I rcvd the mags yesterday. thank you so much. Let me know what I owe you for them. Oh, and I started some of your sunflower seeds. Would you believe they germ'd and sprouted in 3 days!!! I just used my regular mixture of peat moss and potting soil and grow light. Sorry the pic is blurry but you can still see the sprouts.

Thumbnail by MechelleT

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7213582

I know I am thinking of bowing out quietly too..Im tired of seperating seeds all ready ...I like to do personal trades not sure about about all that snorting and oinking lol

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #7213615

But you two would make such cute oinkers - lol. I want to watch the craziness this year and then decide if I have the time to do it next year...
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2009

Post #7213619

That's what I'm doing watching and learning some stuff I didn't know. Don't know if I'll ever try it but it's fun to see what's going on. Huney you don't have to do it all at once from what they are posting just start out small and see how it goes for you then drop out when you get overwhelmed or just take a break.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2009

Post #7213766

They are a lot of fun but so much trouble too . I did one and that was all I wanted of them. You get a lot of nice stuff but I don't think it is worth the time and all the work.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 27, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #7213894

I joined DG last Oct or Nov, and I timidly got in on the Piggy Swap. It didn't take long before I was oinking with the best of them. LOL. I did not have a lot to give, and I received WAY more than I could plant. I shared these extras with friends, and will W/S some more of them this year. It was so much fun to participate in, and then when the BIG box of seeds arrived, it was like Christmas to me.

So please, don't drop out you guys! You can choose how much time you want to spend on it. It was addictive to me, though. It also got me through a rough time in my life. I spent so much time working, that I had no other life - no friends - no time for hobbies - no time for me. Well, that has all changed due to DG, and I spend a lot of time on DG chatting with new friends.

Those seeds that I received from the Piggy Swap grew into beautiful flowers, and now I have a seeds that I can pass along to others, too. This may sound stupid to you guys, but I feel like I was a dormant seed and the Piggy Swap helped me grow and bloom. I was already scarcifed and stratified! Now I am a happy plant!
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #7213911

Lynn, It was good that you found yourself in the swaps. They just aren't my thing.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7214393

It's been fun swapping with you folks, I guess I just don't oink that much. It was getting kind of silly, probably why I decided to bow out. We're getting some good quality stuff floating around in our own little group here, enough for me anyway. Likely we'll see more, who's to know.

Glad you all are enjoying the magazines!

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #7214402

We sure do have a great little group, Al. You're so right about that!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2009
8:37 PM

Post #7214411

I've never seen Sunflowers for Christmas before, Mechelle. Hope it works for you!

Al
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
9:30 PM

Post #7214558

These ones stay pretty small don't they Al? I am a newbie, lol.. Never grown sunflowers. But I should have the GH to keep them in for a while. Will they make it until springtime or can I put them outside sooner?

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #7214680

The ones I had given out earlier to many were marked "Small Black Seeded Sunflowers". Yes, they are small for sunflowers, about 3' tall with 3" - 4" flowers. They might grow well in a large container in a greenhouse or warm sunporch. I can't really say for sure because I've never grown them that way here in NY. We usually just toss them outside in the Spring, but you folks have a lot warmer weather than we do. Good Luck, let me know how they work out!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #7215088

Those are very beautiful, Al . Can't wait to see them. I like them a lot. Will share pics.

Hey, does anyone on here know anything about Crape Myrtle seeds? I have idk, 5 Crapes that are loaded with seeds right now. Are they true to seed? Should I collect them? LMK!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #7215351

I think they do come true from seed, maybe depending on the cultivar? Mekos might know for sure...
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #7215467

According to everything I know they will come true Mechelle,and yeah I would save the seed if it were me.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #7215803

I am going to collect them tomorow. Of course the blooms are gone and I don't know which are which.

Thanks flower and kelly
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #7216568

We saw some beautiful Crapes in all colors blooming through Maryland and Delaware while traveling south last summer. What a sight for our road trip! I wish we could grow them in NY, but just too cold here, they'd never survive our winters. They could almost be mistaken for our northern lilacs if one didn't know better.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

seray53

October 28, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #7216599

Pretty Al

We have the same color in our back yard. They are so lush and beautiful in the summer. In the south we always shape them early spring and they seem to benefit from it with fuller foliage and more flowers. Do they do that in the north?
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2009

Post #7216877

We don't grow Crapes up here, the photo seen here was taken in Maryland last August. Although they look similar, I won't confuse Crapes with Lilacs. They're definately not the same.

Our Lilacs are often trimmed of the outside branches because they tend to split and fall over with heavy blooms and foliage. Well trimmed ones will appear more tree like, rather than bushy. They usually bloom in early to mid-May, a quite spectacular show for early Spring and the scent is overwhelming. Rochester north of here has a famous Lilac Festival worth visiting.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #7217019

I soooooooo miss lilacs! My mom's house and my grandma's house in Maine have them everywhere! Can't grow them out here - it doesn't get cold enough - lol...
seray53

October 28, 2009

Post #7217060

Wow So that's a picture of a lilac and not a crepe? If so they look surprisingly similar.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2009
5:14 PM

Post #7217114

Oh boy... The picture above is a Crape (crepe?) not a Lilac

Al
seray53

October 28, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #7217140

LOL It's one of those days Al. Looked like a Crape. (It's an A ) I'm off and so is my brain I guess. Too hot for lilacs here. I've seen them growing once maybe and they reminded me of wisteria.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #7217385

Well I am going to go out and collect all the seeds in few minutes and just label the baggies tree1, tree2, tree3, etc and try to go back and look at pictures to see which are which. How long will they be good for? When do they have to be planted? Need to find out.

Having a stressssful day. Mommy bird is about to kick the baby bird out of the nest and let him land on his tailfeathers a few times. Kids are so hard headed these days! Going outside to work in the yard and get some much needed therapy.

Oh, got a wonderful book on plant propagation today and it covers evrything from seed starting to greenhouse propagation... can barely put it down!
HAGD e1
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

October 28, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #7217400

i did the same thing mechelle, with the crepe myrtle seeds i forgot which tree has what color i just know i have dark pink, light pink, purple, red, white, lavender, i think that is all i have about 30 trees beautiful in spring time
blondie
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #7217443

Yahoo Blondie I need a white crape mytrle and I think the purple not sure but think I'm getting the lavendar one and have a pink and red one. SO pretty please save me some seeds from the white and purple when you can?
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 28, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #7217447

Where did you find the propagation book? I need it NOW...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #7217514

A trade friend sent it to me. It's called "The Plant Propagator's Bible" by Miranda Smith..
Cris316
Port Norris, NJ
(Zone 7b)

October 28, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #7217788

Arejay59,

Received your envie - many thanks for all the goodies !
Just can't wait to start planting again and I still have flowers blooming.

Cris
seray53

October 28, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #7217842

Mindy I have lavender ones growing in a bed they are not supposed to be growing in. I can dig up one and send it your way if you want it.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #7218037

Thank you Seray I would love to have one. I want one of each color so far I'm having trouble finding a white one.
seray53

October 28, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #7218081

The white one can be trouble to find, Mindy. The cultivar they use here is 'Natchez'. I have seeds for a Burgundy Cotton crape myrtle. They have *surprise* burgundy foliage and white flowers. I'm not sure they will come true or come up but you can try. I'll send them to you with the Lav. Crape and a rooted cutting of the coleus I showed you. I'll probably root more I just had that one already.

Here's a link that shows you what it looks like and whether it will survive your area.
http://willisorchards.com/product/Burgundy Cotton Crepe Myrtle
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #7218130

Oh goody Seray that looks pretty.
Box is on it's way to you know who SMILES
seray53

October 28, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #7218167

Sounds like a surprise to me. :)
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #7218182

Got all the seeds off of 2 of the Crepe Myrtles. I don't know the cultivar but I know it's the fuschia pink color. I filled up 1/2 gallon ziploc bag and got a few cuttings to root. So now that the leaves are pretty much all fallen, am I safe to say it's dormant and can take larger cuttings? I'd like to pot a bunch for next summer to plant. Anyone have any advice for me on Crepe's? Gonna go look in the book, too.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #7218189

Oh dear another surprise for someone who is it this time
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #7218214

Blondie, I bet that is beautiful in the springtime. I was thinking of planting pine or cedar trees down the fenceline along the road on the northern end of the property but am thinking of doing crepes instead. There are people down our road who have some of the biggest Crepes I have ever seen. Maybe you are a good person to ask advice on them since you have so many. Hey blondie what zone are you in again? I got some purdy EE's for ya ☺
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #7218233

Hey guys I joined this and sign ups end on Sunday if anyone wants to join in. Thanksgiving themed

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1049696/#new
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

October 29, 2009
12:15 AM

Post #7218406

hey mindy,
i will send you a billion of the white if that is okay lol just had to say that since i sent a billion of the others lol
will get them collected on friday and sent out to you asap

hey mechelle,
i live in 9 zone, i think i have a picture
this is just a few of them. i got them all for doing a favor for a friend, when he moved in, the guy before had a plant nursery, full of crepes and he told me to take them all dont have to tell me twice lol
blondie

Thumbnail by blondhavmofun

blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

October 29, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #7218429

well i forgot to tell you all, i just got back from the doctor man i love him, he sent me for a free massage yeeeeahh, and acupunture, that was definitely different.
i get the massage 1 time a week for the next 4 weeks. yippppeee
blondie
seray53

October 29, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #7218503

Beautiful trees Blondie! Sounds like the massage was just what you needed.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

October 29, 2009

Post #7218578

yes it was, soooo relaxing, even though it is part of my treatment i can handle that kind of treatment anytime.

thanks on the trees i love my trees, i need a new fence though, my husband is going to build a block wall with pillars with the black rod iron or he wants the wood look, one day, probably not for another 5 years lol
blondie
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #7218833

Blondie you can send a few of the white crepe my way if you want to.LOL

Those are really purty trees !

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #7218840

You're trees look lovely blondie! Just lovely! Glad you feel better - had to be the massage - lol.

Mechelle - the package arrived today;o) Thanks!!

OK Mindy and Sherri - what are you two up to this time?????
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #7218864

Hi Kelly- glad it arrived and everything worked for you. Thanks for your kind words. You're the best! ☺
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2009
12:08 PM

Post #7219799

Why Kelly you allready know the answer to that question since you were invited to be in on it along with just about everyone else.

Blondie glad you enjoyed the massage so well some medical advice is soooo easy to follow isn't it/ You just go right ahead and send those billon seeds I managed to share the last bunch pretty well LOL.

Hi Everyone

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #7220365

You're pretty funny mindy, and oh so sneaky!

Anybody seen Gilda yet or is she still in sunny Florida with cue?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #7220371

Hey you guys, Thanks for all the sweet get wells you sent me. I'm feeling better today but not great yet. I didn't get flu but head cold, sinus infection and earache. You all have a great beautiful day and I'll try to be back tomorrow night for the meeting. No Gilda my way.
seray53

October 29, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #7220385

I think she's in FL with Cue, Kelly. Probably afraid of all that bad weather up north. :)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #7220419

If she is smart she may stay there till spring. No telling what germs out here now.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009

Post #7220503

Glad you're feeling better mekos!

seray - I think you're right. She wouldn't even want to be here right now. It was 45 at my house this morning and won't get much over 60 today. Yesterday was as cold and really windy - cold windy - lol. Supposed to warm back up into the 80s by the weekend. Some cold front from the northwest. Wish it would have brought some rain.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #7220523

Hey Blondie send me another billon candle bush seeds I just discovered my company took all my seeds yesterday. Gee I just said I would share not take the whole 2 containers I had left.

Thank you Ms Kelly for the compliment I was just letting ya'll know it's on the way and hopefully will arrive by Saturday. I'm sure we'll hear when it does get there.

Break time is up sigh helping DH load scrap metal and sort more scrap. Done cut my finger once and got my feet wet twice this morning. Oh well the location for the grape orchard will be ready soon as we get that mess cleaned up.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

October 29, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #7220777

I just got here and started reading the thread. Wow I didn't know you could start crepes from seed. How exciting - buying those babies can be very expensive. I have a neighbor with lots of crepes and I have crepe envy! If I whine enough, would someone share seed and knowledge with me?? I have unknown peach iris that still need homes. I can get 6 to 8 rhizomes in the $4.95 flat rate box - would be willing to share with at least 6 people for trade or postage.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #7220925

enid, your package is on it's way as of yesterday. Let me know when you get it.
I got the irises today. Thanks so much.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2009 2:37 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #7220930

Hey candles, I have a small seedling of watermelon colored crape myrtle if you want it. I don't need the iris but will be happy to send you the seedling. Welcome aboard.
seray53

October 29, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #7220956

HI Candles

Same with me. Welcome aboard. I have a lavender seedling if you want it. Tulips can't take the GA heat but I'm sure they'll find a good home. Seedling has to go. It's in the wrong place. :) dmail me your address.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #7220985

Hey you guys, I have an Iris that is trying to bloom again. It's way past blooming time here in my zone, but occasionally I get blooms in feb. with snow on them.

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #7221267

How cute mekos. Guess it doesn't know it's fall yet . . .
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

October 29, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #7221762

hi all
well flower you are more then welcome to the white crepes i will get the seeds ready for you

mindy, see i told you that you would find homes for that billion candle bush, well just went out front and got some more only this time i think it is 2 billion, and about 1 billion of the white crepe myrtle. all will be coming your way soon,
i think i am coming down with the flu, my husband has the flu and has been in bed for 2 days now, between the auto accident and getting sick i dont know.

welcome candles,
if you would like i will send you some white crepe myrtle seeds too just d mail me

have a good night all i am going to eat and go to bed
blondie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #7222101

Sorry Blondie, You take care and stay warm and rest. Drink lots of vitamin C and chicken soup. I miss you when you are sick, so get well soon. Hope your hubby is ok too.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #7222636

Hey blondie I will trade you some of my bright pink seeds for some white ones.. You probably already have that color, but let me know and I will include them in your package. ;-)
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2009

Post #7223856

Goodmorning everyone... Another 5 inches of rain over night and its its still flooding outside...water is touching my iris bed... waaaa sure hope it stops raining soon..Not to mention dont want to sit out in the rain at the football game tonight ...School is letting out early due to the roads flooding..but far as I know the game is still on..Im feeling lucky to even get online usually when it rains im out of lucky...Seems like it is raining all over the world...Sure hope you all are staying dry...
enidcandles
Enid, OK

October 30, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #7223870

I sure hate to tell you this...the sun is shinning in Oklahoma (right now). With our crazy weather, that could change any minute. I am going outside to determine where the goth garden is going. So much room, so little imagination!!
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #7223897

oh candles you will find the right place LOL
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7223901

lol I have that problem to candles I have big open spaces and nothing looks defined...it just looked planted here there and yonder...I have so little imagination to see what potential is there ...
seray53

October 30, 2009

Post #7223954

Hi Everyone

Huneybunch do I need to dig out my life jacket for ya? Way too much rain. Loca needs it! Can you send it west?

Hope everyone is enjoying their day. Back to work. :)

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #7224016

Yup - it sure would be nice if you could send me some of that rain... I'd love you forever!
LollyJean
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2009
6:22 PM

Post #7224162

We're having very unusual weather for being nearly November. It is sunny and 70 degrees! A little on the breezy side so all our leaves are blowing all over the place. I love fall!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

October 30, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #7224221

I wish I could send it to someone.. my lil irises need life jackets...Its only sprinkling now...thank goodness but heaviest rain to be here about 4, lol something to look forward too yippeeeee...

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #7224427

Quoting:my lil irises need life jackets

huney - that just struck me as so funny right now I almost spit my water all over my monitor - lol...

Must have been a long week . . . maybe mindy could knit them some little life jackets, or at least some sweaters . . .
seray53

October 30, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #7224844

Sounds like it's getting close to mojito time! LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #7224860

For sure for sure - lol. We have a meeting tonight right? Remind me cuz I keep forgetting them - lol.
seray53

October 30, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #7224864

This is the last meeting tonight for the Tribe. It's party time. Hopefully HOlly will show us her sprout. I'll hunt ya if I don't see ya. LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #7224876

Good lookin out - thanks!!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #7224944

Hey Ladies,
Just stopped by to pre-light the torches for the final meeting tonight. I also have set up a nice cozy campfire with plenty of marshmallows to roast and melted chocolate and graham crackers for smores. Also available is some spiked hot chocolate with your choice of Irish Creme Liquer or good old Spiced Rum. Or Plain if that sounds good too.

I regret to inform my much respected fellow tribe members that I won't be attending the meeting tonight :( So sorry but my duty as "Mother and Landlord to 18 Year Old Son" calls.. Helping him clean and do a few things to the house. We decided to rent the little house to him - for $150 a month plus utilities. Not a bad deal for him but good for us too. It's just down the road and he can keep an eye on the horses while we're gone. He actually almost turned it down, I thought he lost his mind. Something about when I told him "You can even turn your music up as loud as you want" peaked his interest. lol.. Have a good night ladies and celebrate for me!!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #7227318

Happy Halloween everyone! This is two year old granddaughter Olivia getting ready for the party this afternoon. All (grown) kids and spouses are home for the weekend, they just like Halloween better here I guess. We are a great party town with plenty to do and celebrate. No mischief, just fun.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2009

Post #7227358

Happy Halloween everyone! Have a safe day! Off to basketball game for the 10 year old . . .

loca
seray53

October 31, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #7227564

Picture is cute Al. Halloween is good for families. Glad you're having a good weekend. Same for this town. Something in every park for the kids.

Enjoy and Happy Halloween! We'll be rooting for your team Loca!
enidcandles
Enid, OK

October 31, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #7227906

I would love some of the black mondo grass if there is still seed available. I don't know anything about ginger - will it grow in the hot, dry Oklahoma sun?
seray53

October 31, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #7228077

Hi Enid

Go back to the Goth garden site http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1051108/

I think Bluespiral has the mondo grass seed. You'll need to dmail her. Gingers are tropical. Most are zone 8 and higher. I can't remember your zone 6 or 7? Most of mine get 6 to 7' tall. They love heat but need partial shade even in OK. They would be like bananas for you. You'd have to grow them in pots or dig them up every year. Someone will prove me wrong here but it takes major mulching to keep them in the ground. dmail me. :)
enidcandles
Enid, OK

October 31, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #7228206

Thanks seray - guess I was lost there for a min. Thought I was at the other forum - oops
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #7228675

HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!!!!!!! Cute picture AL. Kids are so cute around this time of year, all dressed up for fun! Good nite all. Watch out for ghosts and goblins out there tonight. Watch out for Charlie, RRM. He needs a big carrot in his basket.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 1, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #7230744

hi all,
well i had to tell you what my son got in his trick or treat bag when i emptied it out, and was going thru the candy i found a butterfly knife. woow couldnt believe it. someone is nuts out there, of course we took it away from him. toooo dangerous.
well, you all have a good day
blondie
Meickle2003
Chillicothe, IL
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #7231017

Goodness, I am so glad that you checked his bag Blondie. I am glad he is safe.

Mickey
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 1, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #7231140

me tooo, i told my friend that is a county deputy and she said lucky guy lol NOT
well, anyways it is safe and not in his hands
blondie
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #7231185

Wow, that's awful blondie.. Good thing you checked his bag. That makes me mad. People are so retarded to do something like that. Not that it matters but was it new? Just wondered if anyone would actually think of it as a gift.
It's a twilight zone out there!
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 1, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #7231358

it seemed to be new but the latch at the bottom was missing, hmmm i dont know what people are thinking, maybe it was an accident but what ever someone had that knife and who knows what they might of done with it,
blondie

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #7232264

Glad you found the knife blondie - the nerve of some people. I remember when I was a kid we used to trick or treat all over the neighborhoods. People used to give us homemade goodies and stuff you'd never see today. We can't even send stuff to school for parties with the kids unless it's bought! I used to send the kids with homemade stuff all the time. Last couple years they changes it - sucks!

We go to a harvest festival at our church on Halloween. Safe, and lots of fun for the the kiddos...
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2009
4:39 AM

Post #7232466

My niece got an apple and luckly we happen to look at it and it had a razor blade stuck in it. After that I never allowed my son to go Trick or Treating again. One year someone in my neighborhood injected store bought candy with drugs. There are sick, sick people out there. I keep my lights off and do not hand out candy to anyone anymore.
Mary
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 2, 2009
10:34 AM

Post #7232799

i wish it could go back to when i was a child, it was fun and people werent so evil. why would anyone want to harm a child, i just dont understand people these days.

wow mary a razor blade, i have heard of it but never found one thank the lord. only let them eat fruit from the family throw the other stuff out.
how did they find that someone injected candy, kids getting sick.? wow. unbelievable as you said sick sick people.

have a good day
blondie
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #7233192

GOOD MORNING E1. How is everyone this fine day? We have a glorious sunshiney morning here Woo Hoo !

Hey does anyone know what a Four-of- Seven is ? Says it is a Quinoa with a nutty taste.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #7233645

Great day Flower. Sun popping in and out here but so nice. Piggy swap has begun. Anyone see anything they want, I can go OINK for some. This is fun so far. Well, I need a break to do some house work. Back later. Have a great day everyone.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #7234310

Oink on oinker! Looks like you're hanging with the best of them my friend!!
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 2, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #7234367

hi all how is everyone
just had to tell you something that happened today

we have a toy store called Toys R Us, a toy store here in florida, dont know if anyone else has them there
well i called them and asked for the toy department and all they could do was laugh at me lol

only kidding not that blond lol
blondie
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 2, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #7234436

check out this baby ahhhhh

Thumbnail by blondhavmofun

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #7234440

I really must be blonde, it took me a minute to get that one Blondie. The whole store is a toy store. We got em too. Hope you are feeling better.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #7234444

Good one blondie!

Yup mekos - maybe you really are a blonde . . .
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #7234456

Blondie is rubbing off on me. Back to oinking.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 2, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #7234460

i thought that was funny, a friend really did that not me just thought it came better from goood ole blondie
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 3, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #7235908

Absolutely gorgeous day here today, guys. I planted some more daylilies today, I only have about 5 ft left to finish planting tomorrow and my Dl beds will be full!! Traded with so many wonderful people. Have to get more cardboard tomorrow and keep working on them. Brought home some nice composted manure from the other property. Can't wait to see the beds next spring. ;-) Also have some crossed DL's that I started from seed. They are doing wonderful and already need to be transplanted out of 4 inch and 6 inch pots! But I guess they don't bloom the first year?
Went grocery shopping after planting this morning and got worn out! Will be going to the post office to mail off more trades tomorrow. I keep saying I'm going to stop trading for now, but trades keep coming up! I'm an addict I tell ya! HA

Hope you all have a good night and c u tmara.. Mechelle
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 3, 2009
4:07 AM

Post #7236069

Goodnight Mechelle. Goodnight everyone.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #7239075

HI Everyone
Hey Blonde thought I'd let you know those billon seeds arrived today thank you very much. Now do I sow the white crape seeds outdoors in start indoors LOL I know up to me but I'm undecided.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7239292

Mindy I would sow outdoors so it will get use to the weather and go through the cold. You can sow in a container so you know where it is and keep a watch on it but mine all seem to do better outside if it's a tree.
Hi all. I fixed my big flub up and got the have list back up. I guess I'll get off the porch again. Hope everyone is good. Seems quiet on here lately. We need to find something to do again so we can get together again at the same time. I miss everyone.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #7239315

Thanks Mekos I'm busy watching the piggies LOL lots of fun seeing what's offered and who's wanting what.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #7239352

Yea, I'm oinking so much, I feel like a piggy-nay full blown hog!
seray53

November 4, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #7239411

I'm watching. You guy are funny. By the time I looked them all up they'd be gone. LOL

Have a good nite my friends. See ya tomorrow!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2009
3:37 AM

Post #7239474

Good night Seray. That's me, by the time I get them looked up someone else has oinked all the seeds. I don't recognize the names to all that stuff. Oh well, got all month to do it in. This could be a long month.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

November 4, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #7239524

Same here, Mekos. But I think there will still be a lot of seeds posted later. I haven't posted all of mine yet. I have a bunch left from last year that I received in trades, planted half a package and saved the other half "just in case". I need to sort thru those and get them posted. If you want something that is listed as out, and I have some, let me know, and I will share it with you.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 5, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #7242317

hi alll
how is everyone
hey mindy, i have never planted the crepe myrtle seeds i have some pop up from time to time, just mow them over lol i already have enough i wish you lived closer i have a large white one that needs a home i have quite a few that doo. i either have to move them or find them new homes, and i dont know where i would move them with my jungle out front no room. i would just send it but i would have to have a box that is prob. 10' by 4' and a couple hundred lol well anyways.
i agree with mekos plant some in the ground to get use to the cold, and i would do about 1/2 mill in the house so as to get at least 50 thousand lol only kidding.
well, i am going to go, take a shower and hit the hay,
blondie
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 5, 2009

Post #7242349

HI Blonde I think I'll start with planting 6 in a container outside and if hubby ever gets the gh finished so I can use it instead of just thinking about using it I'll start 6 more in there. Don't want to plant 1/2 millon don't think I can give away that many LOL.

If you guys don't see me on much it means I am probably sick don't feel too hot tonight. Here's hoping the med I took takes care of it.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #7242375

Oh Mindy, Sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better tomorrow. You get some rest and drink lots of fluids. Stay warm. We're praying for ya little buddy.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 5, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7242431

hey mindy
dr. blondie says you need to get plenty of rest, take your meds, have a bowl of chicken noodle soup, and drink lots and lots of fluids till you pee it all out
blondie

for real now i hope you feel better, dont over do it, rest first plant later. it can wait
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #7242501

Good night all. Sweet dreams to everyone. Hope everyone is much better tomorrow. Good luck on auto hunting Blondie.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2009
2:30 AM

Post #7246161

No one seems to be chatting here... Tubby or SHirley - if you are watching this thread, let us know how you are doing!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7246194

Loca, can you post a link to the other thread so if and when Shirley or Tubby come by they can find us over there too? I don't know how to do it.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #7246229

Here you go . . .

If you're looking for the gang, we are chatting on the Goth/Ungoth Gardens now . . .

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1053461/#new
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #7247206

OK, where is Al, and skellogg hiding out? Did you get lost or did we get lost? Is anyone lost????? Where is cousin Duchess? We seem to be missing some peeps.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #7249897

Good Morning Jan
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #7250063

Hi Arejay! Long time no see! Missed ya!

Good Morning e1, gonnna plllaayyy outside today and enjoy the 75 degree temps today and tomorrow. Working on filling up 2 of my LB. HAGD!!
seray53

November 7, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #7250151

Good morning!

Missed ya Arejay. Hope you're doing well. We're thinking about you too Al.

Hope everyone has a great gardening day. Not many 70 degree days left. Except for Loca. :)

Arejay you're still on my list for Brugs. They're still blooming here. Won't be long before I have to cut them back.

Have a great day!
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 7, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #7250564

Hi All, just wanted to jump in and let you all know I'm still alive. LOL
Went south yesterday early and didn't get back until late, stopped by one of the feloower DGers and left with a lot of plants so have to get out this afternoon and get them in the ground while it is warm.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #7250688

hello all... I see most of you on the goth garden thread but to those of you who I havent seen in a while, I hope you are doing ok... Trish
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2009

Post #7251497

Well, hello all. I got on this morning and got a call from one of my sisters and had to go over there so been gone all day and just got back so I could rest up. I came home to a box of brugmansia cuttings from LOCA. Got pitcher plants yesterday from RRM and these today and got a box from Seray a couple days ago and I'm just overwhelmed with all these beauties. You guys are just too good to me. Thanks everyone for your kindness and friendship and plants and seeds. I love you. Have a good night everyone. Turning in early, it's been a long day and I'm pretty tired.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #7252906

Good Morning!
Another gorgeous day here until tomorrow. I'm almost caught up on my planting but need to plant the rest of my Iris rhizomes by the pond. I started planting there, I will share pics with you guys. It has a lot of potential to look beautiful next year. Full sun on this end so they should like it there. I also have planted La. Iris, Crocosmia, Amethyst Beautyberry, and 2 other Iris beds. I am doing a section of like 5 ft of each next to each other.
Cleaned pastures yesterday, gotta go finish that, and we're putting up a fence around the other house today. May not be back on til later tonight but I hope everyone has an awesome day.
TTFN! Mechelle

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 8, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #7253206

Glad you like them friend! Hope they root for you!!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
1:38 AM

Post #7254570

Boy am I ever pooped. I trimmed 3 horses today, and one of my horses was a very bad girl. Betty Lou, my Arab mare doesn't like to be tied so she decides to violently jerk back on her lead rope until the lead rope either breaks or whatever she is tied to goes flying. In this case it was a 12 ft aluminum gate.. and she did it twice. The 2nd time she drug the darn gate bucking and throwing her head around until she backed herself into the neighbors barb wire fence. She wasn't cut badly, just a few cuts on her neck and legs but she managed to get herself through 4 strands of barb wire into the neighbors yard. Thank god DH was there to help me get her unstuck and I was able to bring her back around into our yard safely. She got in big trouble and had to work in the round pen for about half an hour and then she had to stand tied to a telephone pole for half the day. Sounds mean, but it's just like training a 1000 pound toddler. She tried jerking herself free from that but I triple tied her so she couldn't. Horses have to have discipline and learn that way cause they can kill you. Even though probably not on purpose, it can happen. She hadn't done that in a really long time, but she is a booger. She is a Breeders Sweepstakes nominated AHA mare and papered to the nines, but she is just so darn stubborn like that sometimes. Well I gotta go finish dinner, will try to come back before bed.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2009
10:15 AM

Post #7255274

Good Morning Everyone,
What a beautiful day it was here yesterday...I was out as much as I could be it had to be 60 here it was wonderful.I had so much to do , potting , mixing , cleaning. One of my kids is here for another week. I will be scarce again. But know I am thinking of you all. Envies are still coming and going. Keep up the good work all of you zoners...
Hugs
Robin
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

November 9, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #7255433

Good Morning E1~ Long time no see! But I have been reading everything and keeping up on the news. Just been really busy with the new business! Seems whenever not working I am working on the new business. But, need to get it going good before winter really sets in and I have to deal with bad weather to boot. Doing a lot of traveling with work now, and am spending about 3 days a week away from home. Bummer! Can't get enough done outside either. Gotta head out again today for a couple of days, but am taking the laptop with, so I can keep in touch! LOL Sounds like everyone is getting ready for winter. Still have a few beds to mulch well here, and of course, I keep adding stuff to my LG beds. Have a great week everyone!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #7255893

Hi skellogg, we missed you!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2009
5:48 PM

Post #7256382

goodmorning all... well afternoon by now for some... Hope you all are well..

My oldest son 15 took the H1N1 and the flu shot on Thursday, well by Friday night he had was so sick, he had 103 temp severe headache nausea vomiting, congestion, sore throat...He is feeling a lil better today thank goodness...

My youngest one, he didnt turn his papers in so he didnt get his shot at school, Im thinking now maybe that was a good thing...

Just curious who else might have taken these shots and if others had symptoms afterwards? or was it just coincidental that his symptoms occured right after taking the shot.. Makes me think twice about taking one I can tell you that lol ...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #7256409

Hunneybunch, Where my husband works, they want everyone to get flu shots every year, so about 5 years ago he got one, a few days later got the flu. As he was getting over it, I came down with it, The next year same story. the next year same story, last year no shot no flu. This year no shot so far no flu. Every time he takes the shot we both get flu. The dr.s say it doesn't happen that way, but I'm here to tell ya it does.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #7256432

Yeah I told my son next year I would recommend he not take it... It may not affect some people ..I have taken flu shot and wasnt bothered... Others each time they take it they get really sick behind it..We had to take it where I worked also, to protect us and the elderly patients I worked with...

103 fever is serious ill even for someone young as he, man I woud hate to think it made an elderly person feel that way... They probably wouldnt survive the effect of the shot...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
6:32 PM

Post #7256544

I am still on the fence about whether or not to get or let my children get the H1N1 shot. I have never had a flu shot, either.

I have heard that like any other immunization shot you feel the symptoms after receiving them. Just like when the kids were little and they got immunizations they would always have a fever afterwards. I got smart and would give them Tylenol right before they got their shots. That always helped.
I am glad those days are over. Courtney still tells me she remembers the last time she got shots that I had to sit her on my lap, cross my legs over hers and hold her arm so they could give her the shot. I remember the nurse looking at me and me telling her "do it" .. Sounds mean but hey she had to have it. She was one of those kids that I had to have her put under to get a filling, lol. I am not too sure that any of those immunizations are good for you.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #7256647

I have never had a flu shot and never had the flu. My husband and I have talked about the H1N1 shot for the kids, but I think we're leaning toward not having them vaccinated. To me, there has not been enough time for them to test either the effectiveness or the side effects of the shot. If it appears there are a lot of cases going around in my area, I am prepared to pull my boys out of school. No shots here. But, I totally think it is a personal decision each of us has to make.

What Mechelle said I totally agree with:
Quoting:I am not too sure that any of those immunizations are good for you.

Just my opinion!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009

Post #7256674

I agree with you Loca on the fact that I am not convinced about testing on either shot. Do people that get the flu shot still get the flu? YES.. I think it's all about the $$Greenbacks$$ .. I'd rather spend my hard earned money on flowers, lol..
Doesn't it make sense that if scientists all over the world cannot create a cure for "viruses" then how in the world can they formulate something that "prevents" them?? IDK, just my opinion..
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #7256684

yeah last tetanus shot my son got swelled his arm up bigger than a softball but guess its better than getting lockjaw...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #7256688

Oh, one more thing... My 5 year old nephew and my sister were hospitalized and quarantined when she was told that her son might have Swine Flu. They were there, overnight, quarantined, for 3 days as a precaution. They ran test after test after test and right before he was released they said they couldn't confirm whether he had it or not. Now you tell me... How many other people have they done this to? Talk about lining the unnecessary pockets of this already messed up economy..
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #7256696

yeah and the vacinnes arent even created here in the US.. There made in China...
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2009
7:30 PM

Post #7256704

yeah now their not even testing for swine flu just assuming its all swine flu... so many false positives...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #7256706

Yeah bought from china for a quarter and sold here for almost 50 bucks or more..
seray53

November 9, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #7256724

Afternoon Everyone

I agree with you Loca for myself. My immune system probably has developed enough antibodies from exposure to other kinds of flu etc. to ride out the H1N1. I've never had a flu shot and never will.

If I had young kids I would hesitate though. The shots are designed to stimulate the body to produce antibodies which would help fight the virus if it enters the body. Young kids would have no natural immunity built up, no antibodies made. Us oldies have antibodies from other exposures that could be reworked, if you will, by the body to handle the virus. Kids would have to make them quick from scratch and the body can't always do that. Research is the key I think. If they don't give you the right shot then the body doesn't make the right antibody. Like a lock and key system has to be just right. And then there's the dosage and the ingredients that go into them.

Scary decision if you have young kids.

So on that doom and gloom note I'll show you a pretty picture and hope it brightens your day. Bettcha can't name it. LOL

Thumbnail by seray53

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #7256735

wow thats a beauty.. you bet right!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2009
7:46 PM

Post #7256757

I sure don't know what it is but it sure is pretty!!

Thanks for your insight seray!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #7256768

I agree to some degree on children not being able to muster up enough anitbody to fight off some diseases and viruses, however there are no two bodies 100% alike. So many different genetic makeups, weight, blood types, and without DNA comparisons who could say what's right for one and not right for another? It does make sense that you have a better defense mechanism as you get older and have been exposed to different things. What I don't like is that you don't have a choice whether to immunize your children or not because they won't let them go to school without them. This whole Swine Flu thing reminds me of the Polio outbreaks in the early century. They did the same thing back then. But on a "positive" note, you don't hear of many polio cases these days. Pretty flower seray.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #7256776

Look at this little cutie I took this morning. That's a Madonna Lily next to it. ;-)

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #7256783

I went on a picture taking spree this morn, lol

Thumbnail by MechelleT

flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2009
8:50 PM

Post #7256962

Huney,Mechelle,
Some times if it is the very first shot that they have taken they will get a mild case of the flu. Thats is kind of normal even if the Dr says it isn't . The first time me or Dh ever took them we got the flu too but after that we did fine with them. I am not going to say a thing about the new one tho as To me they didn't really have enough time to test it and make sure that everything was fine for human distribution. To Be quite honest there isn't any medicine that we take that is safe for us to use. There are always side affects that could kill, with any kind of medicine.
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #7256989

HI Gang the day started sunny but it's gloomy out now. Been helping hubby work on my gh which I'm now calling my plant room LOL since he insisted it have 2 walls left up which he put foam board up on to reflect light. He just likes a door and electricity and it will do for now but I've done decided next year it's going to get changed some. He even insisted on putting my stuff in there to suit HIM which I'm putting up with for now too since he's worked hard on it.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #7257140

Good Mindy, pick your battles and be happy. If it works, it works. Hahaha. Beautiful flowers you guys. What was that beauty Seray? Breath taking.
Mechelle what color does your lily bloom? I never saw one of those either. I recognize the kale. (flowering cabbage) Pretty.
I guess for making a decision on taking the shot or not should be by what likelihood you would be exposed to flu and how your immune system is. Drink lots of vitamin C and take vitamins too if you can and try to stay healthy. I'm a firm believer in preventative measures, wash hands and use sanitary gels when out at school and bathrooms out there. Take hand wipes with you when you go shopping and wipe the handles of the buggies you never know if a sick kid was there before you and wipe hands when you get back in your car to leave. Bundle up when it's cold and during flu season leave kids at home so not to expose them to more germs as often as possible. I got an e-mail a few weeks ago that said a clinic tested this and it worked so you might try it. The old people use to cut an onion in half and put on a saucer and put in each room of the house. The onion absorbs the germs from the air. Someone took the onions and tested them to see and they were full of the germs. Replace the onions weekly during cold and flu season and see for your self. The clinic tried it out and that year NO ONE at the clinic got flu and they had flu patients all over the place. They are going to do it again this year. Sounds crazy but hey if it works, onions are cheaper than dr.s.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #7257204

Interesting thing about the onion . . . Might be worth checking out and smelling onions for a while...

Looks like it's an urban legend that's been around for many many centuries:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/swineflu/onion.asp

Gotta love snopes.com...

This message was edited Nov 9, 2009 3:14 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #7257209

My Iris that was blooming last week is still going strong. Here is todays bloom and it has another bloom stalk beside this one with buds popping out. Flowers are all confused this year.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #7257214

I don't have a clue as to what kind or name it is. I guess I'll call it noid baby.

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #7257220

NOID or not it's pretty!
seray53

November 9, 2009

Post #7257246

Very pretty iris Mekos! Is that a siberian iris or a japanese iris? I'm trying to tell the difference. Love the color.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2009

Post #7257247

Thank you dear. Even with 3 frosts already it is blooming on. My azaelas are still blooming and they were blooming during the frosts also. I guess I should go tell them to wait for easter like every year. You can see where the frost bit the leaves but the blooms refuse to stop.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #7257251

Don't remember Seray. I never payed attention before joining the garden club and I've had it for several years.
seray53

November 9, 2009
10:29 PM

Post #7257262

I have one azalea blooming also and it's still warm here. The rest are behaving properly. Maybe it's under stress for some reason.

What is the plant I see next to it Mekos?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 9, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #7257371

I believe it's a rose of sharon behind the azeala. I didn't know it was in the picture. Here is a little yellow one noid too. Don't know what it is but kinda cute.

Thumbnail by mekos

blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 10, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #7257628

Choose your partners, one and all,
Aspirin, Advil, or Tylenol!

Now fling those covers with all you've got,
One minute cold, the next minute hot,

Circle right to the side of the bed,
Grab the tissues and Sudafed.

Back to the middle and don't goof off;
Hold your stomach and cough, cough, cough.

Forget about slippers, dash down the hall,
Toss your cookies in the shower stall.

Remember others on the brink;
Wash your hands; wash the sink.

Wipe the doorknob, light switch too,
By George, you've got the it, you're doing the Flu!

Some like it cold, some like it hot;
If you like neither, get the shot.

seray53

November 10, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #7257648

Hilarious Bondie! ROTFL
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #7257691

I was just wondering how you were Blondie. Did you get your lists up for the piggy swap? Brandy was going to but her grandmother died and she had to go out of state so will when she gets back. Hope you are feeling better girlfriend.
blondhavmofun
Orlando, FL

November 10, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #7257754

that was sooo funny i couldnt stop laughing,
hey yallll
i feel great just dont have time for much these days just sooo busy
well i got a replacement vehicle, a 95 nissan pathfinder, it was sooo funny, we stopped at the store and it had an alarm in it, it wouldnt stop and we couldnt get it off or should i say my husband couldnt, i was in the rent a truck, 2010 dodge ram no problems there lol. i let him deal with the noise.
well i have been going to bed early, have had no energy. dont feel sick just wore out all the time, going to start going to the gym next week, hubby and i are anyways lol cant wait (NOT)
well you alls have a good night be back tomorrow if your lucky lol
blondie
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #7258388

LOL funny Blondie! They need to come up with one for Swine Flu. That would be hilarious. Hey there's an idea for a new seed contest! lol

Very Pretty flower Mekos ;-) The Madonna Lily I just got this year so haven't seen it bloom but here is the PF: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1024/.. I have an awesome trade friend that sends me all these neat surprises.

LOL on the onions, I have to admit, it is true! I had pneumonia really bad once when I was 16 and I remember waking up and my grandma had a handful of onions down the front of my nightgown rubbing them on my chest. LOL smelled gross and I looked at her like her cheese had slid off her cracker, rofl ... That and Vicks VapoRub. It did work though, I must admit.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #7258473

Hey girl, that link wouldn't get it for me. Sorry.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2009
3:32 AM

Post #7258520

Sorry try this
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1024/
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #7258537

That worked. Thanks. That is a pretty lily.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #7266384

Look everyone New Day New Thread new news? Come say hello...The holidays are sneaking up on us tell us about your plans...I think I can be pretty sure I have picked my last vase of flowers for this season how about all of you?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055568/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America