Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Border Stonecrops from the Genus Hylotelephium: what caused the split?

Communities > Forums > Article: Border Stonecrops from the Genus Hylotelephium
bookmark
Forum: Article: Border Stonecrops from the Genus HylotelephiumReplies: 1, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

October 13, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #7165626

Lately I have focused my attention on the hardy ground-cover type sedums, so it is a pleasant surprise to have the new "border types" brought to my attention. They are worth growing even if various critters like to nibble on them. So, without getting too technical, if possible, what was it that caused this group of plants to be split off from the genus Sedum? And, is ice plant just another common name for Sedum spectabile? Around here ice plant is commonly used to refer to succulents in the genus Delosperma. Thanks for an informative article, and thank you to all the talented photographers.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #7165865

I'm no taxonomist so I cannot answer why this group of 'sedums' was split...it probably has something to do with minute floral structures. The root system does differ a bit too. Around here, ice plant also refers to Delosperma.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Border Stonecrops from the Genus Hylotelephium Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
regarding article on sedums frahnzone5 0 Oct 10, 2009 2:57 PM
Love this easy to grow plant! pajaritomt 2 Oct 11, 2009 11:26 AM
Please......write a book! GardenSue777 0 Oct 12, 2009 4:44 PM
Sedums joynoel 0 Oct 13, 2009 1:21 AM
frogs bellies blugld 0 Oct 18, 2009 11:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America