Dusty Miller for 2010

(Zone 5a)

Well, its here...FALL!

I just whaacked back my 4 oclocks to store them for the winter and in their pot I have dusty Miller.

Love this plant...and combo in the summer!

Is anyone growing it? What do you all do with it? Have you started yours by seed?

Im marking my calender for a February 15th sowing DUSTY MILLER!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I start Dusty Miller from seed each year too. I usually do 2 different kinds, the one you have pictured and a lacy one.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

some more in a mixed pot

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's some in some mixed pots

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

close up of the lace dusty miller

(Zone 5a)

Ooooh those are lovely Jo. I did not find the lacey one.. I like that better than the other, but they are both great for that special accent!

Unbeleiveable here how these too are so pricey! I got a 3 pak for like $3. In the past they were never that outrageous.

I probably ought to just yank them out of the pot now as they will not survive the winter.. but they can wait.

They did not set seed.

Lake in the Hills, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm a Dusty Miller fan too. This year I had some come back from those planted the year before. I mentioned this to my garden guru at the local nursery and she got this weird look on her face as if I had lost my mind. I got a little squirmy due to her reaction but relaxed when she stated that hers *always* come back. Neither of us let ours go to seed. She said they don't last for years like perennials but not to jump the gun in fall with pulling them out. Instead wait until spring to cut back. Then wait to see what comes back next year before buying fill in plants. Who knew? Just assumed they would never come back in 5a zone....

This is for plants in the ground. Outside container plants I think would be toast no matter what in this area (roots more susceptible to freezing) and need replacing.

~Sharon

(Zone 5a)

I might just poke mine in the ground to see if they would winter over.. but I doubt they will.. Never have. But then I am on a waterhole.

Lake in the Hills, IL(Zone 5a)

I don't count on them returning, BLOSSOMBUDDY. It's totally hit or miss. In fact, years past I ripped them out every fall by the roots due to their annual status in zone 5a. The surprise for me was that they had any chance at all for coming back. A serendipitous event that I never anticipated after a lazy fall that I didn't pull them out. :)

And that means extra $ to spend on something else - always a joy for us gardeners. ;)

~Sharon.

(Zone 5a)

Im probably dreaming they would come, but what the heck, got nothing to lose if ya dont try!

I am amazed at what will sprout up in a compost pile! Many a transplant has been found!

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

We have one growing in a pot. We bring it in every winter, we have an unheated south-facing sunroom. It's about 5 years old now.

Thumbnail by smileymom343
(Zone 5a)

I have left mine in the pot, but I dont think it will make it through the winter in my GPS.. time will tell! stranger things have happened.

It is growing still, and I did cut it back...

I cannot beleive how expensive they were to buy at the local GH's this year and could hardly find them!

Im not gonna transplant them. The tide is in and we are too wet so they can now take their chances in the GPS.

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

I never have to buy plants, or seeds. They are perennials here! I love them! Next year, I will have sorta diamond shape, with a rosebush at one end, filled with Alyssum! Planning purple or pinky colors... Want to compliment the color of the Rose, lol!

(Zone 6a)

Joanna, when do you start your dusty miller? I heard its slow and takes a long time....how do you find it? I really like the lacy one you have.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I start it by mid March. The lacy one is in the Lindenberg's catalog called Silver Lace. It is slow to start, but really takes of in June.

(Zone 6a)

Thank-you! Good thing I haven't sent my order into Lindenberg's yet :) Another thing to add on.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

They are perennials here too. I have one outside our back door that I planted 2 yrs. ago but am wondering if I cam going to lose it or not as the heavy snow broke down some of its branches. Do you think I should just wait and see what happens or prune it back now? Blossom Buddy..you think that 3 pk for $3 is expensive? Where do you live?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images