Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Canning and preserving: Not just fruits and vegetables: mustang grape

Communities > Forums > Article: Canning and preserving: Not just fruits and vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Article: Canning and preserving: Not just fruits and vegetablesReplies: 1, Views: 4
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hgausbrooks
Arlington, TX

October 15, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #7172978

Every year, for the last 25 years, I have made mustang grape jelly and jam for my friends and family. This past Spring I took a grad biology course at Southern Methodist University that required a 20 page paper on a plant or animal of our choice. I decided to pay homage to the native Texan, the mustang grape. Researching and writing the paper was so enjoyable! I wrote of stories told to me by my 91 year old dad of how he and his sisters would slip the hulls from the pulp by the bushels, then spread them on the roof of their house to dry. "Some for the birds, and some for us," Dad would say about those drying grape hulls, from which his mother would make mouth-watering grape -hull cobblers.

The paper contained lots of scientific and practical information. There are many recipes for jelly, jam, and,even, wine! There are historical data on nomeclature, and hybrid experimentation by Voley Munson and others. All in all, I think the paper, treated the humble, fence-row variety, mustang grape, justly.
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #7173602

Indeed! I'd say you wrote an A+ paper!

Thanks for reading!

TC

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Canning and preserving: Not just fruits and vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Good Read Adaylilyfan 1 Oct 12, 2009 3:07 PM
Hey TC plantnutz 1 Oct 12, 2009 3:06 PM
empty spaces! Liquidambar2 4 Oct 14, 2009 12:06 AM
Yay kraut! Cybrczch 2 Oct 12, 2009 3:02 PM
first rain of the year ling_ling 1 Oct 16, 2009 12:19 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America