-
AuthorContent
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 16, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #7175644

If you find yourself getting ready to move and have house plants, here is a tip I discovered several years ago that may be helpful. I recently shared it with a friend that suggested I post on here and maybe the "handyman" forum is as good as any.

This applies primarily to 'viney' plants, but the principle applies to all potted house plants.

A couple of weeks before you move, cut back on the water to your plants and skip the last two waterings altogether. Allow your plants to become wilted with the leaves droopy and dull. Vines, like Philodendron, Creeping Charlie and Wandering Jew will benefit from this in particular. The vines will become rubbery and much less apt to breakage. You can wrap the vines around a piece of cardboard for transport. The center of a fabric bolt from your neighborhood fabric store works perfectly for this.

Once you've moved, place your plants where you want them in your new home, put the vines where you want them, on hooks or whatever, then water them. \

A plump, shiny leafed, freshly watered plant is much more apt to breakage than a rubbery, wilted one.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

November 11, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #7264582

A good trick to know! You might also post this hint on"Houseplants" if you haven't already.

I fear if I tried it though, mine would go from rubbery to crispy and be, not only broken, but dead.
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

November 18, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #7286315

Is there a houseplants forum?? I couldn't find it.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #7287196

There are two of them:
Beginner houseplants (open to everyone) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/b_houseplants/all/
Indoor Gardening & houseplants (Subscriber only) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/houseplants/all/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America