Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: How much $ do you think it costs to run your pond?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 37, Views: 313
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #7176465

My husband estimates it costs us approx $500.00/month to run our pond but I haven't checked his numbers (though this seems very high to me). We have 5000 gallon pond with a skimmer and a biofilter and outdoor lights and pond lights. This is what he estimates it cost to run it. I think we should look into getting solar panels on our roof top . . .

Does this seem high to you all????

crazy4brugs

crazy4brugs
Kansasville, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #7176496

My pond costs $35.00 in the summer with 2 pumps running. When I put in the stock
tank heater it goes up to $90.00

I really think his estimate is too high.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 17, 2009
9:07 AM

Post #7178629

my pond costs $40-50 per month running 24/7 but we expected it because we were told by the pond maker. I keep forgetting how big is my pond. Belle
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #7179691

Linda, That does not seem right, unless utilities costs in IL are extreme. I would question you husbands
estimate or get a new husband!! LOL!!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2009
12:14 AM

Post #7180640

that sounds way high to me.
way.
I put in a 500 gal pond, and I run a pump, that is all, but I didn't notice any difference in the bill really.
Last year I didn't run any heat in the pond. I don't know if I will this year or not.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #7181386

Whoa! I've only one pond at 2500 gallons and another at 480 gals. but our electric bill only increases by about $100 in the summer which includes air conditioning. It's actually more expensive in the winter. It does cost a bunch in the winter to run the de-icers. One is 1,000 watts that the other is 1,500 watts. I know that raises my electric bill $100 a month for certain. Husbands can get a little dismayed at utility bills. I've seen mine stand there and watch that meter just spinning away. Have you mentioned that his beer fridge might not be all that energy efficient? Maybe you can redirect his attention.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #7187774

Linda -

My electric bill goes down in the summer. We have a 5000 gallon pond and DH checked the one pump we have that is NOT energy efficient and that only raised ours about $10/month. This was before we had the energy efficient waterfalls pumps that we have now that has lowered the pump wattage by 165 watts. We have 4 pumps running in the summer.

In the winter, our electric bill spikes, but typically the months that we spike are December and January and I have 2 deicers going usually from November to March. I have always felt the spikes in my electric bill for December and January were due to the heating of my home. We had these spikes long before we put in the pond.

Linda - $500/month is alot - something else must be going on there. Additionally, my sister lives out your way and she is paying about 1/3 of what I pay for all of my utilities. Are these just estimates that your husband is having, or is he actually seeing these spikes in the bills?

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #7192214

Thanks all of you for your input- I kinda thought my husband was exaggerating . . . The economy is freaking him out and business can be better. I see the glass half full and he sees it half empty . . . LOL! I look forward to showing him your posts. Even if we overdid something in the pond (?) the bill wouldn't be more than $200.00 extra. hehehe
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2009
1:10 PM

Post #7193025

Was he counting wastewater as well as electricity? If you're on a sewer system, they're probably billing you based on the amount of water going IN to your house. Anything you use to water the lawn, or fill the pond, of course doesn't go into the wastewater system, but you're billed for it anyways. Around here, the wastewater is a lot more than the water, so that can add up for people with large water features.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #7194140

I guess we're lucky here. We aren't billed for waste water ( sewer) based on monthly consumption. They take your lowest water usage bill ( February in the cold frozen north ) and base your sewer portion on that figure. It's a good savings. They recalculate every February.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2009
5:42 AM

Post #7196189

We're on a septic. I seriously think he was pointing blame on the fish and pond for a big bill that was probably from air conditioning, lights left on and other electrical consumers.
Poetinwood
Council Hill, OK

December 5, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #7336509

Those fish could have a welding business going after curfew.
Thomas
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #7337696

Ha ha ha! That made me laugh out loud. Right now my koi are huddling around the deicer as it's 15 here at the moment.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #7342112

15 degrees? No thanks... Snapple, does that mean it is coming this way? We are in the mid 30's.

Just got the deicers in and the last pump pulled early last week. I hope it continues to be mild throughout the winter... I know, I know. Perhaps that road trip to Merry Mary's that we did not take last year should be on the agenda...
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2009
4:00 AM

Post #7373041

Ha! We're in the 80's today, but the weather guy said someone from Ohio is sending us a cold weather blast that will hit this weekend and take us down to 63 for a high! Brrrr... You can't visit if you insist on bringing your weather with you! :)
shrubbs
Beavertown, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #7373625

This is the formula I was given to use:

Amps x Volts (divided by) 1,000 x .10 (kw / per hour) (this is your price per kilowatt hour) x 24 hours x 30.4 days = Monthly Cost.

Hope this helps.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7376924

I haven't peeked at this post in a while. I really had a big laugh about the welding business comment. Now, if only they would secure some paying work for their efforts . . .LOL!
WeedLady
Weatherford, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 26, 2009
5:36 AM

Post #7398713

At 500.00 a month I would have to be a duck and breeding well as I would be living in it.Thats crazy. I have two ponds and a pool. Pool sucks energy big time. I would check your lights as that can eat up bucks fast. I would love to see your pond. Sounds wonderful.

This message was edited Dec 25, 2009 11:40 PM
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 26, 2009
6:09 AM

Post #7398768

does it take alot of energy to run a UV light in your filter?
I've never used one, but thinking about it for my new pond,
I checked out a book at the library and it says that they can be pricey to run. I wonder why?
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 31, 2010
5:25 PM

Post #7515427

At some cost and physical effort, we moved our pond inside. A good thing since we're having such cold bouts of misery and would have certainly lost our fish. In any case we considered the pleasure it has afforded to be priceless. Now we have to think about when we'll be able to move them back outside. The fish can go early, but the plants cannot.

P.S. In case you're wondering, the inside pond is only about 120 gallons, but the fish are very happy.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #7516322

FrillyLilly _ the "pricey" part comes from the fact that the bulb is effecitve for only about 12 months of use. Then it has to be replaced. Over time the light spectrum goes off and the bulb loses it's ability to kill algae. It remains lit but disfunctional. The cost of energy use is miniscule. I would never, ever, be without a UV. I have a full sun pond. Alage growth is enormous in a full sun pond.

Right this minute with the deicer running the pond temp here at 3' is 38.9 degrees. Fourteen koi, 9 of which are over 24" do not fit into an inside pond unless it's the size of a swimming pool. Just no room to do that in my humble abode.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2010
10:37 PM

Post #7516453

Cathy

what kind of fish do you have?
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7516495

Cathy: 120 gallons indoors - how do you handle the levels? My hospital tank is about that size and I have to be aggressively changing the water out every few days.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2010
11:00 PM

Post #7516523

Most of the replacement bulbs I've seen didn't seem expensive, less than $20.
But I guess it depends on the model, if it is just for a small pond, no big deal to replace that.
I didn't know they were inexpensive to run though.

I might look into it sometime.
Trouble is I can't stop buy daylilies LOL and then I don't have money for anything else!

snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #7517564

The bulbs for my Savio system are $65 each and I have two of them in the filter. That's $120.00 every year. The small gold fish pond UV/filter bulb is $35.00. Every year. But there is no way I would do without them.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7517875

$65 is about what we are paying for our bulbs and we have the Tetra UV 3's... I would never be without them either...
nymegen
Auburn, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7518529

Talking about those UV lights ,,what is in your opinion a good resource to purchase them.? BB
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7518865

First determine which type of UV and what wattage you need. Type refers to either an inline UV that you add on to the line bringing water into the filter or buying a new filter that has a UV already built into the filter. Be sure to size the wattage of the bulb(s) to both the pond volume in gallons and the flow rate in gph that will pass by the bulb. They come in different wattages. Too low a wattage won't reach the volume of water and if the water passes by the bulb too quickly it won't have a chance to kill the algae. Size does matter. If you've already figured out this stuff sorry for the repeat.

After you've determined what you need then shop the net for the best price. There a loads of online sellers. I buy nearly all my pond stuff from the web with no problems. Stick to name brands such as Tetra, Laguna, Savio, Aqua, FishMate, PondMate, Hagen etc. I'm probably leaving out some of the good ones. Not intentionally. I personally have an inline Aqua 25watt on a tropical 75 gal fish aquarium, two built in 25watt bulbs in a Savio skimmer and one 15watt built into a FishMate 3000 gal filter. They each have peformed flawlessly. The Savio system is 9 years old. The Aqua is 8 years old. The FishMate is 4 years old. I do replace the bulbs annually. I do clean and store the units inside for the winter. Good maintenance pays. I probably love the functionality of the FishMate filter with built in UV the best. But every pond has it's own needs. You'll figure out what's best for yours I'm sure.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2010 3:54 PM
nymegen
Auburn, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2010
11:02 PM

Post #7519911

Thanks Snapple,my pond is only 250 gallons(I hit major ledge when I was digging it,NH being the Granite State) and has a waterfall.I think I need a new filter anyway this spring and I am thinking I will need to build this into the waterfall.Reason why is because the filter I have now on the bottom fills up with string algae within 24 hours and it becomes a daily chore to prevent the filter from flipping upside down when the pad is loaded with the algae.To tell you the truth the UV light will be my last attempt to get rid of this issue,probably in combination with SAB extreme from ECO systems.I have tried peroxide and koi clay,feeding the fish less and all to no avail. BB
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2010
11:36 PM

Post #7520035

I'm the ebay queen, so I get my bulbs off ebay. I can usually find a good deal.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2010
1:13 AM

Post #7520341

Sab Extreme for the string algae and a UV for the pea soup algae is a winning combination. Crystal clear water. There a couple of options for filtering a pond with a water fall. One that works well is putting the pump in the water and a pressurized filter above ground that will filter the water on its way up to the falls. A pressurized filter is easily recessed in the ground and out of sight. FishMates are particularly good at that. The other option is a filter combination / spillbox at the top of the waterfall. This isn't as efficient, but makes a great secondary filter. I tried to find an installation illustration to post but came up empty. They are no trouble to hookup. Pump goes in the water with a water line going up out of the pond to the filter. The filter can sit on top of the ground or you can recess it by sitting it in a buried bucket. Cut out the bottom of the bucket so it wont collect. A water line comes out of the filter and runs up to the waterfall. That's it. The Fishmate is cleaned periodically by turning off the pump, turning a knob on the filter, turning the pump back on and back flushing. Turn the pump back off, return the knob to the filter position and turn the pump back on. Only once, midway through the pond season, do you have to take it apart to clean it, about a 1/2 hr job. You can back flush daily if you want and it takes less than 10 minutes. I really like the ease of use. I think that most of the pressurized filters now have a back wash feature, so if another brand suits your pond needs better go for it.

MerryMary's right on about Ebay. Good place to shop for pond stuff.

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2010
2:54 AM

Post #7520722

Carolyn, they are goldfish (shubunkins and others). The koi went to the blue herons, and another set of goldfish to raccoons and herons.

Mothermole, when I've had to medicate I put them in 5-10 gallons (usually 5 gallons) because the antibacterial/antifungal medicine has to be in water that is at least 70 degrees. As long as they're aerated with a good bubbler, they don't swim much when they're in the infirmary. I change out the water with suction. The water in the pond is around 57 degrees.

I simply don't have the room for a larger indoor pond, but they are happy and safe and love to tear up the plants.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 2, 2010
3:02 AM

Post #7520751

They don't exactly pose and smile.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #7521509

Cathy -

Your fish are very pretty. They will get rather large over time. I had a couple of calico fantails that were about 10" or so. I used to call them 'The Girls'. We never had any problems overwintering them outside. Just popped a trough heater into the pond around Thanksgiving.
nymegen
Auburn, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7522336

Thank you so much Snapple,I am going shopping!! BB
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2010
6:39 PM

Post #7522746

Cathy: Cute fish-no koi says it all. Koi just make a ton of waste . . . Most of my fish are koi and 120 gallons doesn't stay clean very long with them . . .

I also have the fishmate that Snapple has (she recommended it) on my hospital tank. I absolutely love it! It's easy, it's strong and works well and keeps the tank clean (and was reasonably priced). You just reminded me to get UV lights-now would be a good time to purchase that stuff so when it finally does become spring I won't be scrambling around frantically. BTW: What did Phil the groundhog say about Spring??? Does anyone know?
nymegen
Auburn, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7523056

Phil says 6 more weeks Has he ever been wrong?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2010
11:44 PM

Post #7523691

Poor Puxitawney Phil... All those obnoxious lights around him and people. I always felt bad for the poor groundhog!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 345 Apr 13, 2014 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America