HELP, HELP! SKUNK

(Terri ) South Bosto, VA(Zone 7a)

Last weekend a skunk sprayed in our garage but we couldn't find whatever it was that got the load. The dogs seemed ok, not too smelly so we don't think they got any on them.

I live about 5 hours away, as the only job I could find was up north near DC so I am only home today and a few hours tomorrow. DH lives at home with our dog (the other 2 went home with my daughter) and so, of course, nothing was done to take care of the smell. Now our dog reeks because he puts her in the garage while he works and so does the garage and our house because they both walk through the garage and carry the smell in with them. AARGH!

Does anyone have the recipe for the deskunking bath they can give me? Also, any suggestions on something to use to wash the garage floor and the dog beds?

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Good old fashioned Listerine gets rid of the smell about as well as anything.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I lathered a wayward Lab in baking soda and water and used a vinegar rinse. She smelled like a pickled skunk till it wore off.

Odd though, the fragrance didn't bother her but the boy Labs would walk large circles around her keeping their distance. I think your DH and canine friend have become accustomed to the fragrance and it obviously doesn't bother them as much either.

I have always heard tomato juice but would have had to take on a second job to buy enough of that to remedy the woofy smell. You might place a call to the local vets or groomers and ask for suggestions. I suspect they will be glad to offer rather than have the dog brought in. Good luck. Please post if you have success.

I've tried baking soda, peroxide and Dawn, let it sit on her for 5 minutes, reapplied, let it sit another 5 minutes then washed it all off, rewashed her with shampoo and she still stinks.
I even bought Skunk off at PetSmart, have been applying it on and off since last night, it just enhances the smell until it dries.

I'm leaving at 1pm so DH and his stinky friend are going to be left alone until next weekend, LOL!
I just hope none if it has rubbed off on me!

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

When folks stand back from you in a crowd, you'll know for sure... 8 )

I've had people tell me they use Febreeze on their pets ~ I've not and not sure how good it would be for them.

Good luck.

I can say that Febreeze only worked for the couch and chair but not Bob. Not that I sprayed her but she was rubbing her face on the pillows I had sprayed and they had to be rewashed and resprayed again because she deposited more skunk smell on them. It was still just as strong on her though!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I would call your homeowners insurance to see if they would cover the cost of some professional help.

This happened to someone that lives in our area, but I can't remember if their insurance paid or not. They had a skunk somehow get into the crawlspace below their house, and I remember that they had to move out of the house for what seemed like a long time.

Joan, good thought but I doubt they would cover and we are not in an area where the after fire cleaning service is offered. People here don't have enough money to support a business like that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images