Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Peonies: Is anyone else having a heart attack over this weather?

Communities > Forums > Peonies
bookmark
Forum: PeoniesReplies: 14, Views: 153
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ifound4u
Marshalls Creek, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #7179407

I am sitting on a couple hundred dollars of peonies and bulbs that still need to be planted and it has
been snowing, raining and very cold the past week. Now I'm scared to death that winter is coming
really early this year and either I won't get them planted or they will not have enough time to settle in.

Any advise? is anyone else in the same position?
mcgper1
(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #7180944

I'm still planting also here...Your Peonies should do fine if you plant them now. I continue on until the ground freezes. As long as the soil has a chance to settle in around them you'll do fine.
It is wicked cold here or seems it until I got my baseboard heat reconnected, lol. If it's any help to you I keep Peonies in pots through out the winter and they do fine. I lay them on their sides to keep the snow/ice and wet off them. Some I have covered and others I just didn't get to em in time and seem to have the same result. If you keep them in pots don't forget to bait for critters(remember to pet proof the bait).
Warren
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #7182324

Warren, I forgot to tell you that I got my peonies I ordered from you (quite some time ago) and they were really nice. :) They are all planted in their new beds happy and well, ready to go for next spring. :)

Ifound4U, don't worry about your peonies. It will straighten up in a few days. It's been nasty cold here and we got snow a couple weekends ago, and it's gone now. I've been known to pot my peonies up and dig a trench in the veggie garden and set the pot in there for the winter. I'll probably be doing that with a lot of perennials this fall.

Diann
mcgper1
(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #7182378

Hello Diann, good to hear.
I was thinking about mentioning putting the roots in an area(even if not their final spot) for the winter. You can dig them back up next Spring and plant them where you want. I've been know to do this when things get ahead of me.
Warren
ifound4u
Marshalls Creek, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #7183351

well this afternoon it stopped snowing & raining and warmed up a bit still cold not used to working
in the garden wearing a winter coat, lol.

I at least got the new peony bed tilled and started removing the rocks and grass hopefully tomorrow
will be even nicer than this afternoon and I can finish that up.

Is there anything I need or should amend the soil with prior to planting the peonies.
Our soil I am sure in on the acidic side as it is in front of 2 rows of pine trees the land
we live on used to be a Christmas Tree Farm.

I have such a hectic week and I have to get this done as well so long as weather permits.

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #7183355

That's why I like to pot them first if I can't get them into the ground in the fall when I get them for some reason. That way when I move them to their final spot the dirt ball pretty much stays intact and you don't lose those fine feeder hairs as much. I will usually just leave them in their pots till the next fall or at least till the hot part of the summer is over.

Diann
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #7183373

ifound4u, don't let this stress you out (easier said than done, I know), but we have a lot of time left before the ground freezes hard for the winter. Heck, I'm still waiting on lily bulbs to arrive and then I'll be out trying to find spots for them. And I still have about four peonies coming in the mail... :) LOL

Diann
ifound4u
Marshalls Creek, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #7183429

I just realized I am still waiting to receive 4 different Ech's, Brunnera (Jack Frost), Heuchera Georgia Peach,
Bergenia (Lunar glow & Solar Flare)3 different Agastache's, & Lobela.
I have a list but don't remember when they are supposed to be coming,
OMG this place is addicting!
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #7183953

There was a tidbit in the APS June 2009 bulletin about potting peonies. Take a thin
Wal-Mart type plastic bag, cut a few small drain holes in the bottom, place it in the
pot and plant your peony in the bag. Leave the handles where you can grasp them
later. When it comes time to permanently plant the peony, lift the bag containing the
complete root ball and set it into the new hole. Use the handles to raise and lower
the root ball until you get the correct depth. When it is right, slit two sides of the bag
and pull it out from around and under the root ball. This is supposed to cause the
least damage to the roots and makes the transfer easy. This system would probably
work well with any plant especially roses or other plants likely to be transferred.
ifound4u
Marshalls Creek, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #7184062

Wow, pretty nifty idea!
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #7184170

Thanks OGR, that sounds like a pretty nifty way of planting a potted peony. :)
mcgper1
(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #7184655

I love reading your posts OldGardenRose. You always have great ideas.
ifound4u
Marshalls Creek, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #7188326

Well, I am feeling so much better today this afternoon I got the new peony bed tilled, rocks and grass picked.
I planted all 9 peonies and 10 Hot lava Echinacea then it got dark. Tomorrow is supposed to be a really nice day.
I am planning on spending the afternoon planting bulbs, if I get done I will be thrilled and then can mulch of Wednesday.

Cottage_Rose

(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #7193960

I just got my Tree Peonies today (my first)
including 3 gift herbaceous peonies,
plus I have spring bulbs coming from a DG co-op,
... AND...
I have some Tall Bearded Iris to plant and transplant
so you're not alone! ;o)
I plant bare root roses well into November.
Instead of heeling in I would plant your stuff now if you have the time,
then they will be all set and take off growing come spring.
Happy Fall Planting!

This message was edited Oct 22, 2009 10:54 AM
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #7229963

The only thing more fun to me than fall planting season and having all the wonderful things arrive to plant is the following spring/summer when all of it blooms!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Dried out "cover" on peony buds DonnaMack 28 Jun 8, 2007 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America