Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Container Gardening: moss rose losing leaves

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardenza
Anza, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #7179566

I know that I have overwatered this plant-the poor thing has bloomed like crazy, but at the same time it has lost most of it's leaves. If I totally ignore it until the soil is dry, will it recover, or would it be better to take a cutting and try to start over? And if I do, will I still have the pretty variation of so many different colored blooms?

Thumbnail by gardenza
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2009
4:23 AM

Post #7181462

Portulaca grandiflora are considered an annual, comments here say they can self seed too. Some comments mention not to over water, those succulent like leaves retain enough water to sustain them longer than many other plants.
I didn't read all the comments but perhaps you can trim them back and see if the fill out again. I usually pull annuals once they start looking to ratty and shake out whatever seeds they have.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/241/
gardenza
Anza, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #7182175

Thanks for the link, I'll see if there is any hope of pulling this guy through the winter. I was hoping that if I kept it in the house I could have some color inside.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America