Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Introduction to Kalanchoes: Great article!

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction to Kalanchoes
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introduction to KalanchoesReplies: 8, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 19, 2009
7:29 AM

Post #7185139

Geoff,
Thanks for so much information! I'm growing Kalanchoe, but only bosfeldiana. I was lucky to loose one Mother of Thousands and never came back!LOL
Adina
Ninzerbean
Fort Lauderdale, FL

October 19, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #7185401

I too want to say thank you for a great article! I have a bunch of these and never knew they were related - no maternity plant (that is what we called them in college) since college. I see them in people's yards all the time and feel so sorry for the owners...
DyLinn
San Antonio, TX

October 19, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #7185402

Wonderful article! I have one Donkey Eared that was given to me awhile ago by a friend who passed away shortly thereafter. It is very special to me and I've been doing my best to keep it alive. I seem to remember his being mostly huge leaves and hanging down, mine is now growing rather tall. I wonder if I can pinch off the top small leaves and prevent it from getting too tall to stand up? Sounds like I could also get another plant from those leaves. I already have several babies ready for new homes if anyone is interested. Would love to trade for other types of Kalanchoe.

~Diana
daniellejuliett
Ougrée
Belgium

October 19, 2009
12:20 PM

Post #7185446

I just love Dave's garden it is so fullof information but could you tell me how to look after Kalanchoe,how much wter do they need and ,sun,or shade I would be so interrested I have 2 that are looking very sad at the moment
COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME THANK YOU SO MUCH
Danièlle
danielle221046@hotmail.com
DracoVolans
Crestline, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #7186155

Glad to see another Kalancoe fan! Thank you for this article. :)

I've been enjoying these plants since my arrival in California this year (I'm a recent immigrant from Canada), the first being a poor, neglected blossifelda I'd rescued from my apartment-buildings' dumpster (an orange-flowered variety sometimes called "Flaming Katy")! It has since flowered nearly constantly, grown a half-foot and looks like I might have to divide it into new pots, soon. :) My Mother-In-Law had those invasive little Mother-of-Thousands (the second species you mention in your article) in the pot of one of her palms, and I loved them at first sight. I had no idea what they were when I first saw them and thought they were freakiest-looking things and wanted one immediately. I took three, but she had many more of the little suckers, and I later found out she HATED the things and said I could have taken ALL of them if I'd wanted! I've since been doing her the favour of weeding them out whenever I see them, but I like the ones I have and have even allowed them to propagate into a few of my other pots- they've yet to flower, though, and I'm hoping to see those neat umbrellas of reddish flowers some time. :) I keep mine on a concrete pad, so that any plantlets that fall don't get a chance to invade elsewhere. Heh.

I've since acquired more Kalanchoes (such as the Hanging-Basket, or Coral Bells) , one I've had for years, it turns out. I just haven't been able to identify it- it's a bushy thing, with smooth, dentate leaves that grow along the main stem, much like the blossifelda, but the leaves are larger, don't have any speckling of colour, they get fairly large (about two-to-three inches across, each) and often end up slightly "folded", rippled or wavy as they grow. It has never flowered, so I have no idea what the blooms may look like. I'm almost certain it's a Kalancoe of some type, though I haven't been able to find it in the data-base. It looks like a Kalancoe, grows in the patterns that I see on many Kalancoes (much like blossifelda, actually), propagates quite easily from cuttings and is very much a succulent, with fleshy leaves and green, fleshy stems.

I have another plant that I haven't been able to figure out, either- rounded, smooth leaves with dentate edges, slightly-wrinkled along the veins, pale, yellow green on most leaves and has striking maroon stems. It seems to be a succulent in that the leaves and stem are fleshy, and it has a floppy, trailing habit.

Perhaps I should take some photos of them (I have two) and post them for the members to help me identify?

Anyway, thanks again for posting this article.

Cheers!
garden_geezer
Biloxi, MS

October 19, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #7186474

I see that Draco-Volens has discovered Kalanchoe diagremontiana. If
you want a serious pest, get just one of these. I've trying to rid myself
of that one for maybe 20 years. Pull one up by the roots and in the
process it will drop a hundred tiny little leaves off its leaf edges. They
will then grow into the next crop and drop more little ones into
neighboring pots and on and on and so forth.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 19, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #7187465

Just some FYI, I had a Kalanchoe beharensis almost freeze to death a couple years ago. It eventually grew back from the base but took a long time to resprout. In other words, don't be in too big of a hurry to take out freeze-damaged plants.
DracoVolans
Crestline, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #7211129

*chuckles @ Garden_Geezer* Yup. Funky looking things and I actually really like them. The form I have grow the wee plantlets on the very tips of their leaves, and the parent plant seems to stay a discreet two feet high. I haven't yet seen the "Mexican Hat Plant" version where the plantlets form all down the edges of adult leaves. That one I might not be able to control, it's so large!

Anyway, I just pick out the ones I don't want spreading around before they get big enough to form the little plantlets on the tips of their leaves and that seems to control them. M-I-L has a couple of them growing in that palm-pot that I must have missed in my last foray. I'll pull them the next time I'm on her patio. *grins* They're pretty distinctive little plants, even in 'baby" form- bright green, with just a hint of their later speckling. They look a bit like tiny aloe plants, at first. Let 'em grow a while, and you'll see the tree-like form soon- yank 'em then and they can't spread. :)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 26, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #7211182

I'm keeping my kalanchoes in the light, near a window starting September when they are prepairing to bloom. After the blooms are gone, I'm keeping them in a shadow area, all summer. They don't need much water, better let them dry. I found one which stayed dry for a long time and had tiny small leaves and it didn't seem a kalanchoe at all. But after I started to water it regularly it bloomed and the leaves grew normal.
Adina

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Kalanchoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kalanchoes MotherNature4 0 Oct 19, 2009 11:26 AM
questions answered Susie2 0 Oct 19, 2009 12:16 PM
Kalanchoe thrysifolia donkeytail 5 Oct 20, 2009 2:03 PM
A Wonderful article...! ccilch 0 Oct 22, 2009 2:51 PM
Can you ID my kalanchoe? Mishal 16 Feb 27, 2010 5:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America