Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Introduction to Kalanchoes: Kalanchoe thrysifolia

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction to Kalanchoes
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introduction to KalanchoesReplies: 5, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
donkeytail
Sierra Vista, AZ

October 19, 2009
1:06 PM

Post #7185563

Great article. Your article mentioned that Kalanchoe thrysifolia was much rarer then the Kalanchoe mentioned just before, but I want you to know that I got mine here in Southern California at Henry's a local grocery chain. It is about 10" wide and has the most beautiful maroon and green leaves. The tag that came with the plant has it's common name "Desert Rose" and that is such an appropriate name. It truly is a striking plant. It says that "it's large wavy leaves turn deep maroon quickly in full sun, and will stay green indoors. "Keep on the dry side, place in bright indirect sunlight indoors, thrives in high heat or humidity, and cold to 36 degrees F, indoors 65-75 degrees F, USDA zones 10-11, liquid fertilizer half the label rate every other month." Henry's had a rack full of these. I have mine under a grow light in my living room because I only have a north facing window that doesn't get to much sun and I wanted to keep the maroon leaves. I have only had it for a couple of weeks so I don't know if the maroon leaves with stay or if it will start to fade. I just love it.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 19, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #7185749

Sorry, but your plant is Kalanchoe luciae, not thyrsiflora... but still a great plant. K thyrsiflora leaves are a pale green and do not get hardly any maroon in them at all
Gensan
High Ridge, MO

October 19, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #7186004

Great Article on one of my favorite plants. Thank you so much.
cheerpeople
northwest, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #7186807

thx for setting me straight- MY flap jack is actually luciae.
Karen
qwikcheckgirl
Woodland Hills, CA

October 20, 2009
7:03 AM

Post #7189129

I also purchased the same plant mentioned by DonkeyTail at my local SoCal Henry's. Was wondering how often I should water it? It says to keep on the dry side, so I had been watering 1-2 times per week. I'm wondering if this is too much or too little, as I already have some wilted leaves??

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 20, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #7189677

In you climate I would water that thing frequently.. .Woodland Hills is as hot as my climate, if not hotter... those need light shade and frequent watering in warm weather.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Kalanchoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article! adinamiti 8 Oct 26, 2009 9:33 PM
Kalanchoes MotherNature4 0 Oct 19, 2009 11:26 AM
questions answered Susie2 0 Oct 19, 2009 12:16 PM
A Wonderful article...! ccilch 0 Oct 22, 2009 2:51 PM
Can you ID my kalanchoe? Mishal 16 Feb 27, 2010 5:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America