AuthorContent

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #7186725

Hi. I bought a number of very nice glads in a coop last year and grew them in containers -- they did beautifully! -- but now, I am moving to another place, just up the road so climate and all will be quite similar.

My question is, as in the new place I will have plenty of room to put things in the actual ground, and since I do not want to have to move huge tubs of soil where I can avoid it, is it feasible to lift up these glads and store them somehow over the winter and relocate in the ground come spring?

The method I am thinking would be to lift them, let them dry a bit, then pack them loosely in some dry cocoa coir... put in a bag, stick them in the garage or something.

Anyone have any experience doing this?

Is my idea of how to do it likely to work, or is there something I'm not taking in to account?

thanks in advance!
Kyla

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ColumbiaViewGlads
Colville, WA

October 27, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #7213573

You have the right Idea. Here is my suggestion dig up the corms and break or cut off tops. Place corms in a dry location where the won't freeze, outside in the sun is fine for a week or two, by then the old corm and roots at the bottom should separate. You may store in a cool well ventilated place for the winter. It is not necessary to pack them in a media such as peat as air movement will keep them from molding.

Glads will overwinter if the corms do not freeze in the ground. They may tend to get crowded and blooms may be smaller but we have had good success in Northern Washington by mulching and we are usually blessed? with a snow cover which helps prevent the ground freezing.

For the largest blooms and the opportunity to control disease better the first method is probably better. It never hurts to try something different. Good luck and we will toot the horn as we go through Weed on our way south for a few months.

Check out the NAGC Website at http://www.gladworld.org for more glad info.

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #7213991

Thanks so much, that is reassuring, as because I am moving I had to go ahead and do something, then after the fact thought, duh, google it why dontchoo, so then that page said do not cut off foliage before the dry-out stage, but oh well already had cut most off (down to around four inches of a "handle") Most foliage had died but a a few were still green but the timing of this move is totally not "garden friendly"! in many ways so oh well.

But I did get the info about storing loose and not in the medium, so thanks for the confirm.

I do think once I get these in the ground they will winter over, just have to get there. ;-)

so much to do, moving a garden, pant pant pant...

anyway, they are sitting in here drying happily and at some point will go in just a paper bag and live over winter in the new garage probably and then, we shall see!

thanks again!
I'll listen for your toot, LOL!
Kyla

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 7, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7438092

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/759531/
This is the thread on digging & storing Glads.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/498789/
This one is all about planting & growing.
Bernie
mstish
Portland, OR
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7604741

I lift my glads every fall. A trick I use is to dig a large area out were I want to plant them. Lay down some 1 inch plastic screening and then plant the glads. over it. When I go to remove them, the bulbs all come up eaily when I life the screening. The plastic stuff comes in rolls and is cheap.

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7608841

thanks all, I did find what I needed by googling, actually, my glads are lifted and awaiting their next entrance.

mstish, as for me, I will never willingly put plastic in the soil. Given what plastic has done to our oceans, etc etc, no way jose. I much prefer to work my soil to a quality that lifting, weeding, and planting are as easy as good soil makes those tasks. I view the soil as this planet's living skin and believe that it needs to be open to natural processes all the way down. I am not interested in interfering with that for the sake of my own convenience.

but, different strokes.

be well,
Kyla

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gladiolus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gladiolus planting CountryGardens 48 Jan 11, 2010 11:27 AM
The Glad show has begun! wallaby1 156 Mar 21, 2007 10:28 PM
Possible plant support coop - perhaps for Glads? 4paws 58 May 30, 2007 7:12 PM
Brent and Becky glads bbrookrd 17 Mar 25, 2007 12:22 PM
Photos of Glads in the house 4paws 23 Apr 14, 2007 12:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America