Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Winterizing Plants and Trees: Great Article!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Winterizing Plants and Trees
bookmark
Forum: Article: Winterizing Plants and TreesReplies: 0, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Acemoose
Arlington, VA

October 19, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #7186772

I have my trees (up to 6 feet tall) growing on my (LARGE) Balcony. In the winter I get large paper Leaf Bags, cut THREE sides of the bottom open, turn them upside down and sliiide them over my trees (some of the bags I have to slit open and wrap around the trees-- then I close the slit with... safety pins... Now, since I placed the bags bottom down over the trees (and my other plants) the partially cut-open bottom of the bag is now at the top-- and it is a flap-- so I can water the plant thru that flap, open the flap on balmier days, and close the flap when fierce Winter days are here.

Those trees on my balcony that are closer to the lovely (East Coast) North winds get a burlap coat as well, and.. the fig tree gets a red stocking cap for its top-most branch.

PS-- The thermometer is broken.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2009 2:38 PM

Thumbnail by Acemoose
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winterizing Plants and Trees Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very informative article CapeCodGardener 12 Oct 19, 2009 2:00 PM
informative, practical article vhbt 1 Dec 10, 2007 6:04 PM
winterizing plants and trees Juinette 0 Dec 10, 2007 9:15 PM
Good article to revive! Pagancat 0 Oct 14, 2009 2:15 PM
Timely reminder dparsons01 0 Oct 14, 2009 5:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America