Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Texas Gardening: How the heck do you kill Asian Jasmine?

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 148
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cr0ak
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2009
5:48 AM

Post #7189070

My neighbor's Asian Jasmine has encroached upon not only our yard but the yards of two other neighbors. I've tried 20% vinegar (twice) and Spectracide's Triple Strike (also twice) and neither is making a dent in this krap (and normally they both kill everything).

I don't blame the neighbor for planting it - it was planted by the previous owner who kept up with the maintenance in the back yard. But the "new" owners are older and don't maintain their property (other than to have someone mow and edge the lawn), and the jasmine has over-run their garden beds and has quickly migrated to three other properties. In the early spring, while they were on vacation (and with their permission), I got into their back yard and ripped about two lawn and leaf bags full of that stuff off the cedar fence, which barely scratched the surface of the problem, but at least I got the majority of it off the fence that's between our two properties. However, after 5 months, the stuff is once again encroaching on our property and my new garden beds - and that's even with a two-foot-wide pebble path along the fence as a buffer zone.

Also, I noticed this morning that it's coming into the yard from another neighbor's yard. This is stuff that I'm sure encroached on that neighbor's property (at the corner) and is now creeping under and between the cedar fence (where I don't have a buffer zone).

I'm tired of fighting this stuff. As far as I'm concerned this junk should be classified as an invasive species and added to the Texas Invasive Species list so that it can't be sold at the orange or blue "box" stores (or anywhere else!).

How do I get rid of it? (BTW, in the spring I also put up roofing flashing all along the fence to keep the krap from growing through the fence, but it climbed up their side of the fence and is growing through above the flashing!) I'd take a blow torch to it, but I don't think the neighbors would appreciate my burning down their fence! (I have medical issues now and no longer have the energy to go back into their yard and rip the krap out as I did in the spring.)

Any suggestions? Thanks!

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2009
9:13 AM

Post #7192656

As much as I detest the stuff, RoundUp might be the answer.
txaggiegal
Belton, TX

October 21, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #7192797

Clorox (oops, liquid bleach) is now approved by the EPA for eradication. I have found that it works much as RoundUp does with such things as hackberry seedlings, poison ivy and a chinaberry tree my neighbor planted against our property and is no sooo sorry!

I put 3 Tablespoons of tempra paint (I use a bright color such as red) and 3 squirts (technical measuring) dishwashing soap, shampoo, or liquid hand soap in the sprayer, then about a cup of liquid bleach...the amount of water that I use is dependent upon the plant's woodiness...usually start the process with 3 cups of water. Mix and spray liberally onto the offender...This takes 2 applications on poison ivy and about 2 weeks to 'work'...it takes 3 applications on cane rush and about six months...and I admit I used more clorox the last time out of frustration. Urg...uninformed neighbors and Walmart sales!!!

I have never used it on Asian jasmine, but it is a cheap solution to try and less harmful (I am told by extension) than RoundUp (also a brand name!)...
realbirdlady
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #7193102

Good idea, I hadn't thought about adding the paint as a marker. I do use a paintbrush to apply the herbicide, just to keep it even more focused on the offending plant. You're trying to get the poison down into the rootball, so I cut near the ground (or blaze for bigger plants), then paint. It's supposedly most effective when the plant is in a period of more rapid growth, because they've got more flow down to the roots.

The other thing that kills plants, besides, poison, is lack of light. It's probably not worthwhile for all the little plants springing up, but for a big one, cut near the ground, wrap it good with heavy black plastic, tape it all up with duct tape, and wait a year or so.

But all of that is just to kill it, not to keep the next-door plants from spreading. Would your neighbors be amenable to your taking out the jasmine if you replaced it? Pomegranate, maybe? Passionvine? Holly? Lots of possibilities that would give them the screen for privacy, but not spread quite so enthusiastically. If the folks are elderly, maybe it could be a cool neighborhood project - help them out with maintenance, but improve everyone else's surroundings, too. Does the local high school have a horticulture program? Gardening is hip these days, especially native plants - young people might enjoy a real project, and could learn from yall's plant experience, while you get to take advantage of their strong backs.

Good luck! I does surprise me, too, that this plant is cheerfully recommended.

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2009
11:54 PM

Post #7195177

When I eradicated a bunch of asian jasmine in my yard, I ended up going under it with a shovel and pulling it up in big sheets, kind of like cutting sod. It was back breaking to do, but it never came back.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #7195186

Maybe renting a backhoe would do the trick! LOL

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 22, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #7195701

My small tractor with a backhoe has a very hard time digging it up, and there are enough roots left that it comes back. I have bought Bayer Brushkiller Plus and will try that when we have a day without wind or rain.

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 22, 2009
2:41 AM

Post #7195811

I'm fortunate to have fairly loose sandy soil. I'm guessing I wouldn't have been able to dig it up if I had clay...

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7231937

Today was dry and not too windy, so I sprayed my Asian jasmine with brush killer. I'll know in one to six weeks if it did any good. Die, jasmine, die!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #7231962

Dynamite?
Lisa
Annette_M
New Waverly, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 2, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #7232283

It would probably be a good idea to follow up with a second treatment in about a week to 10 days.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America