Home made cleaners

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Upholstery cleaner
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/832127/diy_homemade_upholstery_cleaning_solution.html?cat=6

I've done this for years. When I looked it up online to see if any kewl new changes had been made to it, I was surprised to see that there hadn't been any improvements. Do you know of any? Any easy, frugal solutions to our household upkeep? Please share them here.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Juney,

Just wanted to share that I just found a great cheap solution to clean my carpets and leave them almost like the professionals, I have used white vinegar which works absolutely great but also simple green cleaner, they are definetely a lot cheaper than normal shampoos for the carper which tend to be sometimes very expensive and not only that but they attract less dirt as well so you don't have to clean your carpets as often. I have 2 dogs and 2 little kids so I do have to clean my carpets at least once a month and I was happy to find an alternative.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh, Good! Non-toxic AND cheap! Thanks!

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Does using the white vinegar leave a 'vinegary" smell lingering for a little while?

I've actually read that you can use white vinegar/water solution for cleaning a variety of things around your home, just never heard of using it on carpets. Does using it eventually affect the color of your carpet (like, lighten the color, almost like bleach would)?

You can also use the white vinegar/water solution to clean the inside of your refrigerator. It breaks through most tough to get off (spillages) stuff in there. It also acts as a mold repellant too (if you have mold build up problems around your house, like you can often get in old bathrooms without ventilation systems.)

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Heres a great article about different uses for white vinegar around the house

http://www.rd.com/home/150-household-uses-for-vinegar/

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Cleaning jewelry:

Silver jewelry and anything else silver: Mix a thick paste using baking soda and water. Apply to the silver. Rub in, buff off. The silver will sparkle. For tougher tarnished silver, you mix some white vinegar and baking soda and let the item sit in it for a couple of hours.

Gold jewelry: Sprinkle some baking soda on the jewelry; pour some vinegar over it and then rinse.

Cleaning/Declogging Drains:

For these ideas, you can recycle old baking soda--such as that box in the fridge that may need to be replaced.

Pour a cup of baking soda down the drain. Heat a cup of vinegar in the microwave and dump it down the drain.. You may be able to see it fizz as it chomps away at the buildup. Let it do its work for about 5 minutes or so. Then rinse it down with hot water. You can repeat it several times if your drain is really dirty.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I use baking soda to clean all of my sinks and bathtub. I keep an old sprinkle jar from some sort of spice filled with baking soda in each bathroom and at the kitchen counter to clean my 3 bathrooms and kitchen. No chemicals involved. I do use dishwashing liquid to clean my commodes on the inside however. I have a spray bottle of the strongest alcohol (I believe it is 90%) that I spray on the inside surface and around the base of the commode after cleaning. I also do this on the bathroom counter.

Vinegar is great and I use it for almost everything including in/on my food...... :>)

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

How @ a recipe for degreaser for stoves??? I went to buy some recently but then thought someone here may have a good solution.

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Quote from dillansnana :
How @ a recipe for degreaser for stoves??? I went to buy some recently but then thought someone here may have a good solution.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5660556_home-remedy-degreasers.html

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you for the link. These ideas sound great, will try soon.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Great link! I just use ammonia for the stove, but I may make that sudsy mix my next favorite☺

Cresson, PA(Zone 6a)

Glad you all found it helpful :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images