Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Ornamental Gourds: Ornamental gourd drying?

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 5, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #7193307

Could someone tell me if all of the ornamentals can be dried and if so how it is done? I have some I would like to save the seed from and keep some for display.
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2009
4:48 AM

Post #7215880

Hey Flower,

I'm new to gourds but I found a pretty good site that seems to cover most of the basics. Hope this helps.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Saving-Gourd-Seed-4-How-2-Do-It-Guide-Step-By-Step_W0QQugidZ10000000007588957
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #7216207

Thanks Lala,
Those kind of gourds I know how to dry and save the seed but it is the little fancy ones that I need to know about. The ones I am talking about are all different sizes and shapes with little knobbies al over them. They are the small and I have bought them for several years and they always go bad before drying and I need to know if they is a way to do this.

That was a good article on drying the regular types of gourds.

Thanks again
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #7218028

These little ornamental gourds are actually squash, some of them will dry and others won't. Nest eggs for example will dry nicely, we always dried them on the vine. Those more closely aligned with summer squash are the easiest to dry, but remember the colors tend to disappear and the shells are pretty fragile unlike the hard shell gourds. Seed saving, is the same as for squash. Make sure the fruit is mature, split it open, remove seeds, clean, dry and store.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #7218855

Thanks for the info. Could you tell me how I could tell the difference in them,as I was always told they were all gourds.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #7249038

When I lived in FL I had bought some of the "gourds" at a flea market in TN...I thought they would rot, but would look pretty as a fall centerpiece...I just put them in a basket and kept them on the table...to my suprise they dried! As farmerdill says...they do loose their color so after a while i repainted them as close to their original colors as I could...they are soft shelled so some of them have broken up...but I still have some sitting in a basket for fall.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/406354/

Jo

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America