Bran bugs

Medina, OH

How do you all store your bran to keep the moths at bay? Am ready to replace the metal garbage can I use. With cold weather upon us I realize I won't need to make a change right now, but would like to hear your ideas. Thanx. Susan

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

All of my grain is stored in an old large freezer. Keeps everythign out - bugs, critters, and humidity. A good find.

Check junkyards or old appliance repair places for broken ones - they don't need to freeze, just seal up with a good lid.

good luck
Jennifer

Richmond, TX

The moths you see in your feed may not have gotten into it after you bought it. The eggs may have been bagged up with the bran. If you use it promptly you never find out what was in there waiting to hatch! I use metal garbage cans too and only have bug problems if I store things too long.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I didn't have bug problems.

I had raccoon and opossum problems.

Did have bugs come with some feed once - rice bran meal I think.

But Ransom solved that problem when he went on bran meal strike & refused to eat it. Now he's refusing bran pellets, as well. Fussy old fart.

LOL

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

We use an old freezer to keep the flies out of the beetpulp after it's been mixed. We also use it in winter to keep it from freezing with a work light in it.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

frozen! HAH! not a common problem here...

Richmond, TX

I am SO glad that we don't really have winter here!

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

I keep my bran in the bag in my pantry....no moth issues for the past 2 years! Grains are kept in metal cans in the barn, but I don't think anything not tight can stop the moths. I've gone so far to pre-prep in ziplocks and that works, but bagging a big bag took too much time!

PS - I make bran mash in the kitchen anyway. An old member here gave me a recipe that involves flax seed in crockpot all day, then fresh fruits and the bran added at the end.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2009 7:57 PM

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Sounds like breakfast - what time?

Medina, OH

Thanks for your responses. Had heard of the freezer/refrig idea and may just have to resort to it. Only keep one horse (a seasonal second may be on his way) and figured that if only the bran was being infested I might find a less labor intensive solution. I have used lures in the past, but have always ended up with a webby mess. Will head to the appliance recycler and see what I can find. Thanks everyone! Susan

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

It's only a hassle up front to find one & get it dropped in place.

After that, it's super easy , and you know you're keeping all the crud, bugs, and weather out.

Good luck!

That, or you might check to see if you have a branch of www.freecycle.org - it's kinda like craigslist, but it's for give-aways only. No trades or sales, just stuff that people want to get rid of that doesn't need to be in the landfill.

Next cold front PC! The flax turns gooier than okra though.... Unless you like slime....then again, once the bran and fruit go in you may not notice.

Eww!

Medina, OH

Hey PC-Got myself on freecycle. What a trip! I think I may be able to unload a lot of stuff now and send it all to "a good home". Who knows, I may be able to find a small freezer for my bran..Thanx. Susan

I got a very large deep freezer on Craig's list from a down-and-out real estate agent. He only wanted $50, but I had $75 on me, so I gave it all to him.

Very glad you got hooked into freecycle, it's a very good thing.

Mine is huge and the inside is very nice metal, but it was in a house fire and then exposed to the elements, so not attractive, but oh, so usable!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Looks don't count, useability does.

Rustoleum? I've used it on mine....

Eh - we call it the rustic look! It's inside the run-in shed, anywho, no biggie.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images