Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cooking: Looking for a Sauerkraut and Spare Rib recipe

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 15, Views: 114
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Davdon
Wethersfield, CT

October 22, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #7197074

Does anyone have a good kraut and ribs recipe that is cooked in a dutch oven? My wife's mother has one for a croc pot but I am not crazy about that one. It's too bland for me. I think she rinses her sauerkraut which I don't want to do. I know the internet has a ton of them but I thought I would ask you first.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2009 10:34 AM
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 22, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #7197193

Don't have the recipe, but my mom used to make that with huge dumplings on top - early '50's.

I do remember it was very greasy with all the pork fat, but oh, so good.
Davdon
Wethersfield, CT

October 22, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #7197513

That's what makes everything good. I swear, I gained more weight eating low fat and no fat foods.Maybe it's all that garbage they put in it to taste good.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 22, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #7197591

LOL
We switched back to real butter years ago. Musch better flavor and we use less. Still looking for some home churned, tho. Closest I've found is an "Irish Gold" imported - $5 / half pound, but lasts 2-3 weeks, so not a major expense.

I will see if Mom wrote the recipe in one of the many cook books / recipe collection - I have 7 boxes of her books, and that's after giving away 3 more boxes of duplicates, or things we don't cook.. May be a while before I get through looking.
planolinda
Plano, TX

October 22, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #7198044

i think i remember my mother making that too--a lithuanian recipe--i'll have to check it and see if i can find it
planolinda
Plano, TX

October 22, 2009
10:06 PM

Post #7198060

lithuanian sauerkraut soup--might not be what you are looking for but i found this and it made me think of my mothers soups--i haven't tried this recipe-it's from allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 1 pound cubed beef stew meat
* 1 pound pork spareribs
* 1 pound pork chops
* 1 pound smoked pork butt
* 1 cup water
* 4 pounds sauerkraut
* 1 cup water
* 4 pounds finely chopped cabbage
* 1/4 pound bacon
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 pound kielbasa sausage, sliced thin
* 1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
* salt and pepper to taste

* add to recipe box Add to Recipe Box
My folders:
* add to shopping list Add to Shopping List
* Customize Recipe
* add a personal note Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

1. Brown the beef, spareribs and loin chops in a large heavy pot. Put the browned meats and the smoked pork butt with 1 cup of water into a separate, covered pan and simmer until tender, removing the pork chops after about 30 minutes, the butt after 1 hour, the beef after 1 1/2 to 2 hours and the spareribs after 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, pour off all the fat from the first pot and put in the sauerkraut and one cup of water. Stir in the chopped cabbage. Cover and cook until cabbage is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove lid and keep pot on a very low simmer.
3. In a third pan, fry bacon until crisp, then crumble into sauerkraut mixture. Remove most of the bacon fat and fry onions and flour until they just brown. Mix into sauerkraut mixture.
4. As you remove the meats from the second pan, cut away fat and bone and cut the meat into small pieces. Add to sauerkraut mixture.
5. Skim the fat off the meat juices and add to sauerkraut mixture. Take off skin from kielbasa and cut into slices. Add to sauerkraut mixture with the tomatoes. Salt, pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, simmer 5 minutes and serve hot.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 23, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #7200056

WOW, that sounds great, and would feed quite a crowd.
Davdon
Wethersfield, CT

October 23, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #7200174

Thanks Bubba for trying to look for the recipe. It sounds like your mother and my wife have the same "hobby" of collecting/hording recipes.

planolinda, holy smokes, that must feed 20 people but it sure looks good. I guess everything IS bigger in Texas. Not quite what I was looking for but thanks. I think the recipe I am thinking about is pretty much just spare ribs and sauerkraut with a couple of spices or herbs. Maybe that's why it's so bland.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 23, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #7200194

Davdon,
There are 3 overstuffed 3-ring binders in that mix, too - lots of clipped recipes with additional margin notes.

Mom's only problem was that she did not understand fractions, so whenever she needed to double or triple a recipe, it was re-measure each ingredient. She loved to cook for a crowd.

I used to really upset her when I would tell her that music was NOTHING but fractiions -- (she was a music teacher for over 60 years).
Davdon
Wethersfield, CT

October 23, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #7200281

That's a great story Bubba. She sounds like she was a lot more organized than my wife. Most of her recipes are little bits from newpapers and magazines stuffed in cookbooks that take up way too much room in the kitchen. I love her cooking though.
Zone3
Minneapolis, MN

October 27, 2009
12:04 AM

Post #7211698

Sauerkraut strength, flavor, or sourness can really vary by brand name. Also canned vs plastic pouch in refrigerated case. A good sauerkraut won't diminish in flavor when washed, but I understand why it seems that way. I love it strong and sour and only rinse it to remove the preservatives listed on the bag. Sometimes, I just eat it straight out of the bag. I've tried many brands and my favorite is refrig. Willies made in Bear Creek, WI.
I've never found anything better than my mothers old simple recipe. In the dutch oven layer sauerkraut, onion slices, and grated apples. Top it with the spare ribs. Sprinkle liberally with garlic powder and freshly ground pepper. Bake 350 1 to 1.5 hours. Turn ribs, now and then, so they brown evenly.
The frugal old timers around here make the same recipe with pork neck bones instead of ribs! Then the sauerkraut is the star of the show.
Davdon
Wethersfield, CT

October 27, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #7213483

Zone3, that is just what I am looking for, simple with just a few ingredients. You say she doesn't brown the meat first? It will brown in the dutch oven even when it is covered? Does she separate the ribs or leave them intact?

This message was edited Oct 27, 2009 10:21 AM
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #7214259

Zone3, this is covered?

I do a similar recipe w/ chicken. Melt 1 stick butter in dutch over and add a bit of garlic. Add 1 large jar, loosely drained, saurkraut and mix w/ butter. Add equal size new potatoes or equal size chunks russet potatoes. Top w/ chicken breasts (skinless)or thighs (I prefer). cover and cook 375 degrees for 1+ hr. Serve w/ butter and sour cream. fab!!!!

This message was edited Oct 27, 2009 3:59 PM
Zone3
Minneapolis, MN

October 28, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #7215443

Davdon, UNCOVERED! sorry about that. The ribs act as cover for what's below them so you can cut them to fit your pan shape. 4 ribs are prob. a serving size. I may lay a third of the rack across the pan and fit smaller pieces to fill in the gaps.
Prep the rib backside by removing that flap and trimming off excess fat. Pull off any of the silver skin that's easy to get. The reason you want fairly big pieces is that it's easier when you turn them over. 350 is not that hot, so after 30 mins. they brown nicely. Turn them over when they are brown enough for you, and bake another 30 mins. All that flavor drips down into the sauerkraut. Bake a little more, if needed, until everything is bubbly and spareribs look just the way you want them.
shelly61
townsville
Australia

October 28, 2009
6:33 AM

Post #7215984

Ok I know this is a stupid question, but I am an Aussie after all lol.
what is sauerkraut ????
Davdon
Wethersfield, CT

October 28, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #7216563

Hi shelly61, there are no stupid questions. There are a heck of a lot more people who can explain it better than me but I can tell you it's a German dish of shredded cabbage that is fermented with salt and I think some spices. I think the word "sauerkraut" is German for cabbage. By the way Australia is the number one place I want to go visit. It looks like a beautiful place and I hear the people are extremely friendly and the food is fantastic.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America