Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: Need id on these amaryllis

Communities > Forums > Amaryllis and Hippeastrums
bookmark
Forum: Amaryllis and HippeastrumsReplies: 10, Views: 106
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mswestover
Yulee, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #7197955

I went to the wrong thread first, then they sent me to you experts! What is the white one?
thank you

Thumbnail by mswestover
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mswestover
Yulee, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #7197965

another

Thumbnail by mswestover

mswestover
Yulee, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #7197970

the red one?

Thumbnail by mswestover

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

October 22, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #7198355

Red lion maybe?
The pink might be Apple Blossom.
Green Goddess possibly on the white one?

What do the experts here say?

bsharf
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009
9:44 AM

Post #7199682

A lot depends on where you got them. The most commonly sold bulbs in local retail are Red Lion, Appleblossom and Intokazi (an African White). Another white which is seen in local markets is White Christmas. Sometimes the bulbs are labeled Red, Pink or White. The above 4 varieties are the usual suspects.
npublici
Zephyrhills, FL

October 23, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #7200096

The white in your picture has a yellow throat and pronounced yellow ribs on the reverse. Intokazi has a very green throat. Intokazi also has a very ruffled edge on the petals,which your white does not. To me,your pictured white looks most like Ludwig Dazzler. Unfortunately, most digital cameras tell terrible lies about yellows and greens together,as well as reds,so it's hard to truely determine from your picture, the true colors of the flower. Chartreuse, green or yellows can all be supplanted for each other.
Del
mswestover
Yulee, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #7200924

apple blossom is it for the one, the picture is the same. I got this one from a friend.

Red Lion also, because the other posted pictures show a kind of orange tint in some of the flowers. Got this one after Christmas, mark down at Lowe's.

Does the Ludwig Dazzler have the yellow veining and yellow throat? I remember the yellow is yellow, not distorted. I was really studying how beautiful the flower was when I took the picture. I think it is the same. I also got this one from a friend.
I wanted to post a couple of pictures and want to be sure.

thanks
Vicki
npublici
Zephyrhills, FL

October 23, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #7201379

I just can't remember about the reverse of LD. I suggest you use yahoo and google search engines,inputting the names of possible cultivars. When you input one name,you will often see others of that color mentioned,whereupon you can then use the new name in your search. Companies selling hippeastrum will often mention others of the color you're interested in,hoping to sell you something,if they don't have the one you wanted. They usually post pictures.
Del
mswestover
Yulee, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #7203640

Will do, thanks for the advice. I will not post any pix until I am sure what I have.
vicki
npublici
Zephyrhills, FL

October 26, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #7209416

Vicky, I don't think anyone in this forum would suggest that you not post your blooms of unknown name.Most of us love flowers and gardening. Obviously, most of us really like Hippeastrum. Keep the pictures coming,they are a source of great enjoyment Most often someone can tell you what your bloom most looks like. Perhaps someone will eventually be able to tell you what the white one must be.
Del
mswestover
Yulee, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #7210981

thanks Del, I just see some pix that are not accurate and I do not want to be a contributor to that because I depend on accurate pix to identify some of my plants.
Vicki

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Amaryllis and Hippeastrums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hippeastrum johnsonii Lenjo 9 Oct 31, 2008 9:15 PM
Amaryllis question JoleneS 15 Nov 30, 2007 7:35 AM
Hippeastrum papilio x evansiae seedlings rrog2001 16 Feb 23, 2012 7:47 PM
Mexican AMARYLLIS Sprekelia Riverland 17 May 20, 2007 7:21 PM
Red Staining in Hippeastrums an anti-fungal? raydio 21 Dec 20, 2007 3:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America