Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: how to dig up amaryllis

Communities > Forums > Amaryllis and Hippeastrums
bookmark
Forum: Amaryllis and HippeastrumsReplies: 1, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #7205466

Here in Louisiana, our Amaryllis can stay in the ground all year long, with no problems. But, we are hoping to move over the winter, and I have a few Amaryllis that I could never find again, and I want to take them with me. The foliage is still plenty green, and no signs of dieback yet. How do I dig them, store them, to be replanted next spring at the new place? Thanks for any help.

bsharf
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2009
10:42 AM

Post #7206035

Amaryllis are remarkable hardy, it takes an awful lot of abuse to kill them. If I were moving a large number, I would dig them up, and use a string to loosely attach a plant tag with the cultivar's name to the neck of the bulb. I'd leave the green tops on them, put them all into a bucket with dirt over the roots, withhold water so they go into dormancy on their own, and move the bucket in the spring. When you replant them, I bet they will come out of dormancy fairly quickly. They could be stressed enough not to bloom next year, but they should be fine. Probably the least stressful way for the bulbs, but more work for you, would be to mark the amaryllis in your flower beds with a stake so you can easily find them when they are dormant. I imagine that your ground doesn't freeze hard, so you should be able to dig them when you move. It would be a shame to leave them behind.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Amaryllis and Hippeastrums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hippeastrum johnsonii Lenjo 9 Oct 31, 2008 9:15 PM
Amaryllis question JoleneS 15 Nov 30, 2007 7:35 AM
Hippeastrum papilio x evansiae seedlings rrog2001 16 Feb 23, 2012 7:47 PM
Mexican AMARYLLIS Sprekelia Riverland 17 May 20, 2007 7:21 PM
Red Staining in Hippeastrums an anti-fungal? raydio 21 Dec 20, 2007 3:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America