-
AuthorContent
mahima
Seattle, WA

October 25, 2009
4:41 AM

Post #7205801

Hello

I am thinking of buying a new pressure cooker and would love some ideas/suggestions. I have used a Fagor 4 qrt before and it worked fine but when I bought a replacement didnt like it.

My top concern is safety and that would determine the pressure cooker I would buy. I prefer to go with Fagor but would be great if you have any information on others also

Thank you

M
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #7206482

This year, I purchased 2 fagor PC that I got from overstock.com - I had some free gift cards from them.

The 4 quart is:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Fagor-Splendid-4-quart-Pressure-Cooker/4005824/product.html

The 10 quart is sold out:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cooks-Essentials-by-Fagor-5-piece-Pressure-Cooker-Set/3227827/product.html

I have used both of these many times & feel perfectly safe with them. They have a lot of safety features & a locking handle that prevent opening while it's locked, & you can't unlock it while there's still pressure. There are automatic release thingies so if the pressure bilds up to much, it's released.

I love both of mine. The smaller one is great for everyday meals, while the larger one is for soups, stews, etc.
Jo-Ann
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #7207600

I have Fagor and Kuhn-Rikon pressure cookers. Both are excellent brands, but Fagor is a better buy.

Presto is also a very good pressure cooker and available in various models at excellent price points (stainless, not aluminum).

Any of these brands have good safety mechanisms.

MissVickie is one of the best-ever websites and has really helpful information on all things pressure-cooker, including recommendations.

http://www.missvickie.com/workshop/buying.html

Carol

jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #7208826

Carol,
I forgot about the MissVickie website. Lots of info there.
Jo-Ann
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #7211936

I forgot also - Bed, Bath and Beyond sells Fagor. I bought the duo combi set from them (4-quart and 8-quart) with their 20% off coupon. That price even beat Amazon, but now it looks like Amazon is cheaper. It definitely pays to check for the best price.

Carol

mahima
Seattle, WA

October 27, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #7211999

Thanks all for your replies, really helplful

I am going to try the Fagor again. The one I bought dosen't seem right. There is no sign of steam till almost 5 minutes into high heat. Is that normal?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America