Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Cooking: What is wrong with this recipe?

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 13, Views: 207
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

October 25, 2009
5:11 AM

Post #7205853

http://www.grouprecipes.com/2737/healthy-carrot-zucchini-muffins.html

I wanted some healthy muffins and this recipe seemed to fit the bill. I used everything as called for except for the sugar. I used brown sugar Splenda. The muffins rose nicely and browned in about 18 minutes. They were still doughy (raw) inside. I put 'em back in the oven - twice - and they finally got 'done' but they ended up smaller. The taste is great and I'd like to make muffins like these again but without all the trouble of trying to get them done.

Do you think the problem might be that the 2 cups of grated carrot and zucchini are just too wet and heavy to rise properly? Got any ideas I can try? Or another tried and successful recipe?
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

October 25, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #7206657

No ideas?
twiggybuds
Moss Point, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #7206950

I've never been big on muffins but I've done a bunch of cakes in a bundt or 10" tube pan which is exactly what was called for. Anytime it's a recipe with lots of dense wet ingredients like this muffin recipe, it takes far, far longer to bake than what the recipe states. I always blamed my oven for it but never tested it since it seemed to work fine for everything else.

These kinds of recipes don't rise as much and come out heavy and moist. This says to fill the cups to the top so that indicates not much rise is expected. It also says the temp should be 400 but I think it would be 350 in comparable recipes of this type. It also does not say if small or large muffin tins are used which certainly impacts the time. The ratio of wet to dry ingredients may be a bit off normal.

This sounds like it would be good so I'd go to a site like allrecipes.com and look at similar recipes to get a better idea of what temp, cup size, ratio and baking time should be. That site also has lots of reviews that might offer additional ideas.

tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

October 25, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #7206985

Thanks a bunch. Maybe I'll try one more batch and lower the temp to 350 and extend the cooking time. And I'll check out similar recipes. Good idea.

The taste is great and I'd recommend the recipe if only they'd cook clear through. I'm familiar with dense breads like banana bread and zucchini bread, but dense is different from uncooked dough. :(

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #7207132

There's a fruit cobbler from Recipezaar that I've tried a couple of times - the batter is put in the bottom of the pan and is supposed to rise to the top and become golden brown, indicating its doneness. Doesn't happen for me. Rather than batter it's more like dry crumbles, although others who have used the recipe successfully have said that theirs was crumbles, too. I tried it twice and both times I ended up with a solid mass of dough on the bottom of the pan, or just slightly infiltrating the fruit. Oh well! Sometimes recipes are like that. Could be your oven, the humidity, the age of your flour, or the phase of the moon.

If you get it to work, let us know how! It sounds good. So did that cobbler!
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #7207485

i would suspect the zucchini to be the culprit. personally, when i use zucchini in baking recipe i do the following:

shred or grate zucchini. sprinkle salt. set aside for 10 mins. rinse thoroughly twice. place zucchini in a kitchen towel or cheese cloth. squeeze out all the liquid. break and loosen the zucchini clamp. sprinkle some of the flour in the recipe on the zucchini and carrots**. make the batter as specified in the recipe. loosely fold in both zucchini and carrots in the batter.

** sprinkling of flour on wet ingredients prior to baking, make the veggies lighter and will not sink down on the batter as it bakes. veggies will sort of 'float' in the batter as it bakes. therefore should bake evenly, and NOT sink at the bottom of the muffin. do this procedure when u add berries, fruits or veggies when u bake. u avoid these ingredients from sinking in the bottom of muffin, cupcake or cake. a very common problem in using wet ingredients. one of the main reason why i tend to be give long descriptive procedures when i give out recipes. i learn this the hard way in my lifetime. i learn all my cooking thru observing and many test i practice in my kitchen to 'get' a perfect recipe.

just my common sense working here. lmk if it work for u.

personally when i feel to eat muffin with fruit or veggie, i use a 'Jiffy' prepared mix. simply add 1 cup fruit or veggies. voilą an easy muffin. i just follow common recipe on the box and the above suggestion. hope it work for u.
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

October 26, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #7208397

MaVie, I wondered about doing just that: squeezing the water out of the veggies. Or cutting down on the applesauce since there is no other liquid. Also, I used the fine shredder so maybe I'll use the bigger shred next time. Maybe it won't be such a soggy mess. I like the ingredients in this recipe and it is very healthy so I'll try these suggestions.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #7248820

I seem to recall my mom using the larger grate for zucchini for her "quick breads" and draining the zucchini too. I learned about the flour tossing with my first batch of homemade fresh blueberry muffins:lol: They were like fruit on the bottom muffins and a smidge scortched:) The flour gives the fruit and batter a place to cling together, nekkid berries will slide right to the bottom:) Hadn't thought about using that tip for zucchini bread. Thanks MaVie!
rayleigh
Lineville, IA

November 7, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #7249150

type in www.allreceipes.com and search for apple strusdel muffins these are delicious.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #7249363

Alma ... have u tried the above recipe again? what was the result?

it is always a pleasure Donna.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 22, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #7299152

Here's one in comparison. Never tried it though

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=369497
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #7321905

It could have also had something to do with the granulated sugar being replaced by brown sugar Splenda.

Remember that almost all recipes for baked goods are all about chemistry and the ingredients being used react with each other to give you the expected final product. If anything is changed, that changes the chemistry and may be why you had the problem with the centers being raw after baking for the designated amount of time.

I just read a thread about Splenda, here on Dave's I think, and Splenda is a Chlorocarbon and it's closest related brethren are Chlorodane and DDT. I had heard that Splenda was not good for you and after reading that, I quit using Splenda entirely. I now use Stevia aka Sweet Leaf on my cereal or in my tea. There is also a new sugar replacement that is actual sugar, similar to Splenda, but not as bad for you. I'll have to see if I can find the name. I have it at home and can post the name after I get home.

Here is the link to the article on Splenda: http://www.wnho.net/splenda_chlorocarbon.htm
Mike
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #7322011

here is the article i believe Mike spoke about http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7292860

here is the thread where it came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1056726/
treelover3
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7322051

The sugar replacement is called WheyLow Type D, granular. Google for more info.
Mike

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America