Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Fall Chores for C-c-c-cold Climates: Great advice!

Communities > Forums > Article: Fall Chores for C-c-c-cold Climates
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fall Chores for C-c-c-cold ClimatesReplies: 24, Views: 151
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 25, 2009
9:01 AM

Post #7205981

Carrie, congratulations for a wonderful article! Those are such great advices, thanks! About the roses, they are partly covered here with soil, after cutting them back.
Adina
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #7206290

What an easy-going-laid-back chore list!

Shucks, you make it actually seem possible to do all those things, Carrie!

Shoe

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2009
2:06 PM

Post #7206328

Thank you, Adina and thank you, Shoe! Now I have to get going on my list... the coleus have already succumbed to the cold weather, but luckily, I took a lot of cuttings. I only have to work on the roses and those darn pots!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 25, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #7207308

Tell me about it!LOL
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

October 25, 2009
9:49 PM

Post #7207581

Thanks! You actually got me motivated to finish planting bulbs before its too late. Great article!
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

October 25, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #7207617

There never seems to be enough time and good weather to get all those fall chores done.
The last of my bulb planting was interrupted by a good dump of wet snow yesterday.
Your article is an inspiration to keep on working on them.

Caroline
Zone 3 Calgary

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #7208453

Thank you, all. I actually recruited DH and DD to start (and nearly finish, until we found the OTHER box where he had hidden it in the garage), the fall bulb planting today. It was a beautiful warm day.
swantons
dublin
Ireland

October 26, 2009
11:04 AM

Post #7209195

Good Day Carrie just red your "To Do List" and I must say it has spurred me on to start on mine, writing it that is ! thats the easy part, I do love lists, it makes me feel that I am half way there when it comes to Chores. Today is a holiday here and the sun is shining, the Dublin City Marathon is on and as it goes right in front of my house I can not go out in the car till about mid day so I am off to get started in the garden, writing my list. I cant believe you have had your first snow fall, the weather is so strange around the world,today is hotter than the best day of Summer this year. This is a photo of my garden at the start of summer this year. Have A nice day as you say in the U S A. I used to fly as cabin crew and I miss my trips to Boston an New York so much. Keep writing your Articles I was delighted to see yours this am.
Best Wishes
Anne

Thumbnail by swantons
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantaholic2
N Middlesex County, MA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2009
11:40 AM

Post #7209253

Nice Article...prompted me to go pull out my list. I was thinking by now I could do it from memory. 'fraid not. now I have a headache...

indoor forcing bulbs
outdoor bulbs by Halloween
RAKE (shred and mulch)
wash/store pots
perennials cut down after frost
remove annuals
cleanup garage
furniture,grill clean/move to side of house
Wash moss/algea back stairs
wash windows
clean out gutters
feed lawn - October
Lime lawn before thick needles/leaves fall - October
gypsum to roadside/mailbox
compost to beds
extra mulch on: roses, young clems, peirus, jap hemlock, RedPygmy JM
Store summer bulbs: dahlias
Plants to protect in containers at compost pile: hosta pots, daylilis
Plants to protect in garage: potted clems, baby tree peony
annuals/tropicals to save in basement: brugs, mandevilla, spiders, begonia, phormium
take cuttings brugs,coleus
Inkberries, green mtn - tie up to prevent splitting
cover new peony eyes
clean birdhouses
compost - final water and turn
Inventory: take bed by bed diagrams,notes,pics b4 gone
change batteries on weather stations
change all outdoor light bulbs
change battery on garage keypad
cut evergreen boughs for window boxes, planters.
put rock-styrofoam in birdbath
birdfeeders (later is best for chipmunk/squrrel/etc )
drain hoses and close inside faucets
chemicals - store in basement
deervik/soap - yews and arbs
snow markers b4 ground freeze
backup propane refilll
Runestone
Stockton Springs, ME

October 26, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #7209668

Plantaholic, I'm impressed. I'm going to copy your list and expand. I've (to this point) worked from memory as weather permits, but this year the weather has not permitted so I'm scattered and rushing. thank you.
Hoffsj
Harrison, AR

October 26, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #7209693

I enjoyed this article, I'm inspired to go out and finish putting the garden to bed. I agree with others on here, the weather has been very strange lately. If you enjoy reading about nature and gardening please visit my blog http://ozarkimages.blogspot.com . Thanks for the great article Carrie.
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2009
3:20 PM

Post #7209892

Plantaholic - a most detailed impressive list! I've been trying to establish a rose garden but apart from the mini roses have not had much success. There is always a lot of dead wood in the spring and by the time the plants get going its fall and the frost comes. The mini roses get covered in mulch up to their ears and then covered in hessian. The bush roses are too big for covering entirely so I mulch to about 10-15 cm high and wrap the entire plant in hessian. Unfortunately the roses are on the weather side of the house where the wind comes gusting acoss some fields. Should I cut them back in the fall instead of spring? It would make it easier for covering too. I've never tried straw - does that make a difference?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #7211098

GREAT lists, everybody! I've been composing music all day - I don't get to choose which muse will strike when. I do agree that making the list is sort of an accomplishment, and one feels as if one has actually done something ... until you look outside. I WILL keep writing articles, don't worry, Anne!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 27, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #7213329

Wow, what a list! I have to copy that too!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #7218194

I keep thinking of more items I could have included! It hasn't snowed yet, but it IS getting colder ...
CLScott
Calgary
Canada

October 29, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #7220373

On my list for this week is: putting up pumpkin lights for the little kids who come trick or treating on Halloween.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #7221622

Oh, goodness, that kind of stuff is on my husband's list for sure! Thanks for your comment.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 1, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #7229800

Plantalholic:

What is this rock styrofoam you are putting in bird baths? Is it to protect the bird bath from cracking? Could I do this for the bottom of my heavy fountain?
plantaholic2
N Middlesex County, MA
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #7276448

Liquidambar, yes. I once read to put a piece of styrofoam in a bird bath to prevent cracking. The rock is just to hold it in place. I use a piece about 6"x6" that is about 1" thick from packing material. Not sure of the science involved in it. I may have known it at the time. I suppose it would work in any vessel that can collect water. Maybe adjust the size proportionately.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #7276826

Hmmmmm. No more exploding pots????

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 3, 2010
11:17 PM

Post #8193594

Carrie, it was great to re-read your beautiful article. I've already covered the roses, since we had hard frosts last month. Lucky it's getting warm now, if only for a few days...I'm as cold as you are all the time!LOL I miss summer!
Adina

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #8193801

I miss summer too, Adina. Our first freeze will be this week, even a little snow is predicted, and it doesn't usually get better after that!

We put in a row of shrub roses between ourselves and the nasty uphill neighbor, and it just dawned on me that I can rake the leaves right on top of them, instead of hoping DH (who now works 80 hours a week) will listen to my instructions about raking, not raking, mowing, re-mowing, etc. *Brilliant!*

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 4, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #8194020

Carrie, sorry to hear that! But you better hurry if the freeze will come to your place so soon! Are your forecasts as bad as ours for this winter?They said very low temps, much lower than last winter.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 4, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #8194713

Oppps glad somebody wrote on this blog to remind me, to take care of the bird bath and fountian; I plummmmm forgot!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #8199121

Oh, see, I know it wasn't me, because we have neither. But we DO have a new outdoor hose hook-up that I have to un-hook in the winter, which I guess would be now although (glancing at calendar) I see I have another month to go before it's truly winter! Heh heh, tell that to my wool sock drawer!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fall Chores for C-c-c-cold Climates Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I share your pain Oberon46 3 Oct 29, 2009 3:55 PM
LOLOL jazzy1okc 5 Sep 27, 2012 8:42 AM
Still here in COLD country Sceloporous 1 Sep 29, 2012 12:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America