Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Vines of Reunion Island, Part 4: As always...

Communities > Forums > Article: Vines of Reunion Island, Part 4
bookmark
Forum: Article: Vines of Reunion Island, Part 4Replies: 3, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #7206793

...a beautiful article, JJ. But this time, I can identify with one of your plants. I had an aunt who lived in Hawaii, and she sent to me the dried 'wood-rose'. She would send them in our Christmas package, almost as packing material. I saved every one of them, and they became decorations on wreaths and in table arrangements. I have never seen it living and growing, but I did enjoy those wood roses. I still have a few of them, too. My aunt is no longer living, so I guess I have the last of them. They do last for a long long time.

Thanks for another glimpse into your life.
Sharon

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

October 26, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #7209225

Hi Sharon
Yes, those wood rose will long for years, unless a cat wants to play with them...They are real nice for dry bouquets or even Xmas decorations, I like them a lot.
herbs501
Hallettsville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2009
9:50 PM

Post #7214621

I have a "wood rose" growing at my place here in South Central Texas. It is somewhat contained because of where it is growing, but I believe it would be invasive if allowed "out". The flowers are a bit different from the ones in this article and the flowers are white. But it is definitely a "wood rose".

I also have Podrangea, which survived extreme drought all summer here. It is now happily blooming and spreading wide with our recent rains. I love it, as do the hummingbirds and bumblebees.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

October 28, 2009
3:24 AM

Post #7215683

I am quite interesting in your wood rose if it blooms white! Now it may simply be another species as Operculina or Merremia dissecta, ddo you have pictures of the flowers and fruits? Most Convolvulaceae are potential invaders...
Hummingbirds! We miss those little jewels here!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Vines of Reunion Island, Part 4 Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines do it better Noturf 3 Oct 30, 2009 9:34 AM
Merremia tuberosa tecoma 2 Nov 2, 2009 12:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America