Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Vines of Reunion Island, Part 4: Vines do it better

Communities > Forums > Article: Vines of Reunion Island, Part 4
bookmark
Forum: Article: Vines of Reunion Island, Part 4Replies: 3, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Noturf
Marquesas Islands
Polynesia (French)

October 26, 2009
10:31 AM

Post #7209176

I just propagated a Petrea volubilis, our Wisteria for the tropics, if I may. The more I work
with vines, more convinced I am of their advantages for privacy,aesthetics, quiet, fruit, and else.
It is a pleasure to see/read your articles. Until next.

Thumbnail by Noturf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

October 26, 2009
11:25 AM

Post #7209230

Hi Noturf
I love the color of Petrea and the special feeling you get from the leaves. Do you know there exists a cultivar with white flowers?
Till next
starfarmer
Ann Arbor, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2009
6:08 PM

Post #7220828

Jacques: what do you think of the various Australian pea vines (Hardenbergia, Kennedia, Dipogon, etc.)? Do you grow them? Or do you avoid them because of the possibility of escape? What about their east Asian sisters the Millettia?

I have been astonished by the growth of Kennedia nigricans in a zone 9 desert climate: 30ft up a tree and covered with weird black blooms in just one season!

Thanks for all the glimpses into your "close to Eden" home!

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

October 30, 2009
9:34 AM

Post #7223038

Hi Starfarme
I do not grow those species though they do have wonderful flowers but it is probably too wet where I live for those dry areas species and being of the Leguminosae family there is also an escape possibility as you say. I do not know the Millettia...
30 feet in one season? Do you feed it with radioactive manure?;))
Glad you enjoy those glimpses!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Vines of Reunion Island, Part 4 Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
As always... Sharran 3 Oct 28, 2009 3:24 AM
Merremia tuberosa tecoma 2 Nov 2, 2009 12:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America