Show Results

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

wow!

W/t/c dressage equitation, 1st place, 63%. Judge's comments - short strides at the trot, solid transitions, rider position needs some work (legs in front of seat bones, not driving with pelvis). I've found that, if I drive Ransom with my seat, he's hard to keep collected.. I put serious effort into each of my transitions, making sure they were in clear sight of the judge. We each cantered one at a time during the class, so I also made sure they were clear to see. No sense in trying to hide my transitions or my eq, since the whole point of the class was to get feedback.

Training Test 1 - 61%. ew! We'd had over an hour break from eq to 1, and it showed. I warmed him up lightly before the test, and perhaps it was either too much or not enough. Ransom broke to canter when he shouldn't have, got the wrong lead on the first canter trans, and I felt a bit out of control in all canter work. Trots were short-strided, and generally yuckie feeling.

Shook it off quick, b/c Training 2 was up next , with no riders in between. The judge also cleared her mind, because we did much better. 67%. Much Much better, huh? Our canter circles got us 8s, half of his trots were 8s, with her commenting he'd "opened his stride up, staying collected." Square halts, and a bunch of solid transitions. I have no clue what happened from one test to the next, but Ransom and I decided it was a job well done. (half way into test 2, a cargo train rumbled past the show arena, slow, but very close. we'd seen it a few times already w/o incident, so I was happy & satisfied as the train approached & departed in our test, Ransom didn't even look up at it).

Pictures should be around soon. They're on BF's camera, and he's got a full work week. Soon I hope I can show a few...

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

http://www.houstondressagesociety.org/hds-files/2009_HDS_Schooling_Show_Championships_Prize_List_and_Show_Bill_Final.pdf

There's a laugh, though with a heavy sigh... I chose not to join HDS this year, thinking, "oh no way my scores in Training Level are going to be NEAR what they need to be to qualify for Schooling Show Championships in December. Heck no! We won't be that good."

Find today that all three of my scores, even my Training 1 disaster ride, all qualified me for championships. Need one more show like that, which is reachable at the Nov 15 show, same location.

Oh phooey drat!

South Hamilton, MA

Glad that the classes went so well--maybe first training was a warmup for the second. Ransom is such a show pro with his different jumping experience so nothing outside phases him. Agree with you about the 'drat' but the main thing is that both of you are doing better.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

congrates on the good job. Good luck in Nov.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Good job!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

If anybody's looking for a good read...

check my blog. I've updated 85% of the show, with only one more test to write up... Judge's comments & all.

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

I enjoyed your show!

You've come so far.... things are jelling nicely

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Congratulations!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

There's videos of the tests up on my blog now if ya'll are interested.

Listen to Test #2 - You can hear (& see if you look behind the judge) the train on the back edge of the show grounds during my test. How cool that neither of us freaked out, huh?

South Hamilton, MA

Could not get the video to come--any suggestions?

South Hamilton, MA

You fixed my problem with the site posts, thanks. I'm not computer savy. I see what you mean about throwing his head in the first test. Otherwise I was impressed (except for the elbows, which improved as you went on). Great for him to ignore the train, a lot of horses would not. Keep on having fun & he will also.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Saw the videos. Good job, he just didn't want to give that lead in test 1 did he? Been there! Legs looked better at the trot in test 2. Didn't know you could post the trot in training level.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Legs better? What'cha mean? I'm always learnin'.. Do Tell!

That left lead thing is really really making me mad.. he did that again last night, too.
turd!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

When posting they were doing the frog leg thing. In test 2 they were still. It's not always easy to keep them still!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Cool.. I'm gonna go watch again & look for it.

Judge didn't make that comment, so I'm curious.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I see it.. I can explain..

I was adding leg, adding leg, adding leg, trying to get him to keep moving at the trot. He was SERIOUSLY dragging his rump around at trot.

It's something I haven't figured out yet - If I just use calves where they sit, NOTHING happens with him at the trot. I have to get my heels on him - to do that, I have to lift them to reach "skin".

I've tried once to ride him in spurs, and he was a NUT. I'm no good at keeping them off of him, since I can't keep legs 100% still yet.

But I do see what you mean!!!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I was wondering if it was cueing as it seemed to be one leg at a time. He definitely listened better in test 2. Once you can keep the legs still, spurs may help.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

It's a wild thing.. He's soooo used to tighter calf pressure.

I of course ride with a shorter leg in my hunter saddle. Thus a stronger, tighter lower leg on him... I have to concentrate on keeping my legs loose except when I need something when I ride hunter, or he'll take off at all gaits.

When the guys at work tell me "riding isn't exercise" or my favorite "All that English stuff is all the same".. I laugh, hard.

South Hamilton, MA

Let people try & see how sore their calf muscles get. They think western is different--surely not western 'pleasure'.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Folks locally think this way..

Girl
Riding a horse
Certainly must be barrel racing
Because being a girl, I couldn't be a cowboy , or a team roper ,
And who on earth bothers with that western-pleasure stuff, how useless. Can't work a ranch job doing that little slow loping junk.

When I moved here, and asked "Where can I find English lessons?" I think I saw their little heads spin around like on the horror movies.. LOL

South Hamilton, MA

giggles

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

You are making FANTASTIC progress!

I think your 'frog leg' thing is a result of you not having your weight down in your heels? all that is going on, more leg, less leg complicates things.

when you post, just roll up out of the saddle a smidge, not a lot, and not necessarily clearing the saddle.... make sense?

practice posting trot without stirrups? lots and lots of posting trot without stirrups....

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

The posting isn't what's got my leg going... Read up a bit... My leg moving is me pushing him forward forward.. He was dragging his bum at the trot, and I was adding all that leg to keep him going.

Richmond, TX

Got a whip?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Yeah.. It might be time to get that back out again, and at least ride with it a while.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

The whip being there may be all you need. My pony was like that, just having it made him do what I wanted and I didn't have to work as hard for it. Never really had to use it, just carried it.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

How was the show today? I hope all went well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images