Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Grow Some Cover Crops For Rich Green Manure: clover in the orchard

Communities > Forums > Article: Grow Some Cover Crops For Rich Green Manure
bookmark
Forum: Article: Grow Some Cover Crops For Rich Green ManureReplies: 2, Views: 41
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #7210518

I've come across the related concept, perennial Clover is planted in Orchards to provide a Nitrogen source for the trees. I found a statemtent on there being an 18 month lag before the Clover would start to release Nitrogen for the trees to use, so its not immediate but will have good long-term effects. People will also grow Clover in lawns for the same reason.

I also will re-iterate the use of organic fertilizers. The Rhizobium bacterium that do the Nitrogen fixing can be sensitive to chemical fertilizers. Using a chemical fertilizer may undo what you are trying to do with the cover crop.
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #7212458

Good to know!!
Fitsy
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

November 7, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #7250486

Hi dparsons,

Thank you for that. Yep... chemicals will completely undue any efforts one makes to create healthy soil. I appreciate your comments and wish you all the best.

Blessings,
Ben

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Grow Some Cover Crops For Rich Green Manure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
crimson clover grits74571 5 Nov 9, 2009 1:02 PM
Austin and Central Texas Rocky3 5 Nov 7, 2009 5:11 PM
Cover crops ilovesunflowers 2 Nov 7, 2009 5:09 PM
Under cover ridgedew 1 Nov 7, 2009 5:04 PM
pond muck in Ct. miris 1 Nov 7, 2009 5:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America