Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Grow Some Cover Crops For Rich Green Manure: Under cover

Communities > Forums > Article: Grow Some Cover Crops For Rich Green Manure
bookmark
Forum: Article: Grow Some Cover Crops For Rich Green ManureReplies: 1, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ridgedew
Sodus, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2009
11:15 AM

Post #7212908

Early this spring, the garden at our son's house 'expanded' due to extra dirt from him putting in a pool. Well, after tilling and removing as many stones as we could, the soil looked good enough to start planting in but we decided to be patient and give the new section a summer cover crop of barley. It worked fantastic, no weeds grew up and the bees loved it though our main reason was believing the soil would benefit from the nutrients. A couple weeks ago we mowed it down, tilled again, removed more stones, added rich compost and planted winter rye over the whole. We are now looking forward to next years expanded garden, and of course, semi looking forward to expanded weeding.
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

November 7, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #7250476

Hi ridgedew,

That sounds wonderful -- particularly because of the bees. I love bees. I am sure this spot will be VERY nutrient rich. I would love it if you keep me in mind and share with me how this all works out.

Blessings to you,
Ben

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Grow Some Cover Crops For Rich Green Manure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
crimson clover grits74571 5 Nov 9, 2009 1:02 PM
Austin and Central Texas Rocky3 5 Nov 7, 2009 5:11 PM
Cover crops ilovesunflowers 2 Nov 7, 2009 5:09 PM
clover in the orchard dparsons01 2 Nov 7, 2009 5:06 PM
pond muck in Ct. miris 1 Nov 7, 2009 5:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America