Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: Driftwood

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 186, Views: 1,409
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #7213692

With our 14 beaches in the Town of Southold many have driftwood but there is one beach that has such lovely pieces after big storms. The largest piece I found one January day as I just strolled the beach in the sunshine. It's hollow and that made it simple to get home. I'll attach a photo of my big find.

At first I just featured the driftwood with pots around it (pictures will follow) and then decided to fill the void with plants and prefer that look. Next year it will be filled with Pennisetum Rubrum, coleus to match (Solar Shade), possibly a fern and definitely a very dark dahlia like Arabian Night.

While vacationing in the Bahamas we found a very nice small piece and I managed to get it home without a question or problem, thankfully. Photo will follow.

We found another long piece with a blackened head, from kids have a beach party no doubt, and it appears to me to be a black faced shark sans fins while my husband thinks it looks more like a pterodactyl without wings. Haven't yet decided where to feature it. A photo will follow.

This past Sunday we came home with more pieces and while one is simply to replace a rotted piece we brought home in '92 and has been placed already, the other one is more challenging. When I put it where I thought it would look good I felt it looked more like a broken section of tree so I'll have to do some pruning on it.

Quite interesting applications of driftwood here:
http://www.driftwoodsculptures.co.uk/gallery2.htm

Here's a really nice site with great ideas:
http://greayer.com/studiog/?p=3548

This has some thought provoking ideas though the thought of spending $1,153. for a mirror trimmed in driftwood is a bit much. Maybe it will end up being a winter project for me.
http://www.nextag.com/driftwood/search-html

This site has real driftwood - very interesting pieces:
http://rstixr4u.blogspot.com/2008/03/garden-driftwood.html

Found this site for some interesting ideas though the driftwood is manufactured:
http://www.petdiscounters.com/Driftwood-Gardens-c81.html

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #7213701

Driftwood with pots:

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #7213702

Driftwood with the hollow planted.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009

Post #7213705

Bahamas piece:

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
4:39 PM

Post #7213708

One photo of it in the garden:

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #7213711

Same piece, different location but the same exact garden:

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #7213714

Shark or pterodactyl?

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #7213719

From the sales ad for driftwood pieces, nextag:

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #7213721

I'd love to hear from those who collect it and see how you use it. Please post photos to help inspire us or just give us your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #7213770

This is the roof of a bird house that has yet to be finished.
I'll post the rest when they are done

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #7213774

the roof
I will fashion a heavy plastic cone for the interior so chicks wont get wetwhen it rains

Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #7213825

Unique, Jo Ann. It's something I'd never have thought of but you did.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #7213878

pirl you have some very nice pieces of wood there. I have a couple of pieces but around here you just don't find much or I am just missing it and others are beating me to it. LOL
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #7213882

http://www.chichesterinc.com/DriftwoodGalleryExtraLarge.htm

The largest of their extra large pieces is 33". My newest piece is 8' long!

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #7213895

We cross posted FF.

We find it so surprising that some beaches have almost no driftwood but the one has so much of it that it's great fun to search, especially in winter.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #7213903

This is a great thread Pirl
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #7213925

Well if I would get off my lazy butt and go to the river I could probably find some.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #7214131

That's the biggest problem I face, FF. Just getting up to do anything takes initiative and some days I just don't have it. Once I'm on the move I tend to keep going.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #7214201

Ditto I am the same way.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #7215426

Wonderful stuff driftwood. Collected a bucket years ago when visiting the Oregon coast.Still have to find uses for most of the pieces; although have propped up a few in my little succulent beds.
pirl-looks like a pterdactyl to me , with the crescent curved beak.
Most of the stuff that lands on the beach from the lake comes under the list of "trash to be picked up !!!:( But some neat stuff-including small arrowhead.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2009
11:04 AM

Post #7216147

When we were out there hunting we did find garbage and collected it in bags, along with the two milk crates you see in the back of the truck, and disposed of it. Litter annoys both of us.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2009
11:11 AM

Post #7216156

Last week, in Damariscotta, Maine, at the river, I found an oyster shell from the huge mounds called middens that the Indians (per the literature and Google) left behind more than 2200 years ago. It is flat but this is an awful photo of it only taken to try to show how flat it is - about 1/4 of an inch thick.

Arrowheads must be fun to collect as well.

Thumbnail by pirl

venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2009
11:42 AM

Post #7216194

If you look at the driftwood in the back of the truck, the right side resembles a dog's head.

Can you see it?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #7216973

Yes! Like a Golden Lab, right? If I put a witch's hat over the burned portion, stood it upright, and rigged it up to bark I could scare little kids back home again on Saturday! Then I could eat the candy!
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 30, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #7223738

I've been finding some great piece of driftwood around Lake Cumberland. I've got several pieces I've lugged home for my shade garden.
Mary
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #7223967

Try going after major wind storms and go to the opposite side of the water than where the wind was coming from on the day of the storm. It's great fun to examine them and see what we can do with them.
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #7224302

Pirl and ge1836, I'm so impressed with your driftwood pieces and how artfully you've both used them. I'm afraid in landlocked Kansas, driftwood is nonexistant other than what you might drag out of a creek. We do, however, often find interesting wood that has come down in a storm, etc. and I've often wanted to incorporate some into my flower beds. You've given me great ideas, but I'm wondering about the planting into them. Do you use anything to keep them from eventually rotting out, or does that just give you room for more good finds eventually? Does the planting mixture need to be any special mix...what do you use to fill them with? I have a couple old trunk segments that we've used to sit on by our fire ring and over the years the centers have fallen out. I'm thinking of filling them with some sort of planting medium and flowers next summer. I also have the top of a dead tree, just about 4'-5', with wonderful woodpecker holes that I was wanting to use somehow. I really love what you've both done. Pirl, I was also interested to see that you're from Southold, N.Y. as my mother's family had lived there since sometime back in the 1700's. I haven't seen it mentioned often, but with 14 beaches, it must be beautiful. No wonder they stayed put so long through a time when everyone was going west.

Willow
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #7224496

How coincidental! Here many cars have the bumper sticker, Southold Native. (not us)

I've only planted an actual stump once and that was just with Angelina sedum since I thought it could take the abuse and it worked. I didn't add soil at all. Clematis 'Omoshiro' grows happily next to the stump on one side and two 'Nelly Moser' clematises on the other side. The stump has been in the process of decay for about 17 or 18 years now.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 30, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #7224503

Your thoughts on limbs, pieces of wood, bark, etc. (especially the woodpecker house) sound very interesting and I've used lots of odd pieces here.

This idea was presented long ago by fly_girl and I thought it was great for a stump. I hope by enlarging it (copying it) and enlarging it again on your photo program you can read enough to get you started.

Please show us a photo of the woodpecker piece!

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 30, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #7224692

nice
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #7225612

What a beautiful photo with the clematis. I like the idea of the sedum, then other things beside it. I think I can get the other picture enlarged alright. It looks like a great planter. I will try to go out and shoot both the woodpecker piece and the stumps tomorrow after church. I have a new camara, so I'll have to read just how to transfer them over.

Must be lots of old timers in Southold. I just thought my family must not have been too adventurous, but maybe that was just the way Southolders were. Thanks for the info.

Willow
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #7253898

Well, I've been trying for a week now and just can't find a way to get my pictures to load. I followed the directions under Dave's Garden FAQ, but for some reason nothing switches over. I may go retake with my old camara and see if that works any better, because I do want to be able to share. I'm using a canon SX110, just a little point and shoot, but don't know of any reason it wouldn't want to open onto this website. I'll just keep working. If anyone knows of problems with this camara, let me know.

Willow
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #7254022

I don't know what camera he used but Neil, from near London, had major problems, consulted with Dave and somehow it was solved and he can now post photos. Good luck!

Neil is on the Recipes Forum so you might want to write to him.
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 9, 2009
6:39 AM

Post #7255168

Thanks, I'll definitely check with him. This is really frustrating, but it may be something simple.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #7255710

Here's a link to a thread begun by Neil so you can contact him.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1051939/
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 9, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #7256403

This was on the beach on the East side of Maui. Just after the hurricane in August.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 9, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #7256419

This was just down the beach a little further.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 9, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #7256435

I do not have many photos of driftwood but I have many photos of tree trunks. I have a thing for god's creative skill of tree trunks. This is a enormous tree in Santa Barbara, California by the Library. . I bent over, got close to the inside and took the picture. I never did see it with my own eye. When I go back I will crawl under and take a long look. But it is a dark and scary place. It is even scary to walk by because it is so big.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #7257060

Sharon - I guess that you couldn't fit the piece in your luggage!

I love tree trunks, too.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 11, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #7261862

We could not take anything including seed. Some kind of microscopic worm that would destroy California and Florida fruit crops. Anyway, that is what I was told when I called the authorities to find out what I could bring home. Has to be inspected by the authorities. Another tree trunk from Santa Barbara.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 11, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #7261884

I was having such a great time in Santa Barbara. I had my two granddaughters who were 16 and 17 at that time. They just thought grandma and lost it entirely. We were driving around in a rental car in many high end neighborhoods, and then I would veer to a stop. Oh No Grandma, not another tree! But soon they got with the game and picked out some beauties. The photo is Hannah, Sarah and their California cousin Jade . This tree is at the courthouse. Sarah is on the left, Hannah is in the middle and Jade is on the right. You should have seen the looks on their faces when I started see animals in the clouds. But that did not take long for them enjoy that also.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #7262741

Love the Santa Barbara tree. The twisting and turning is great as is the bark shedding.

Your granddaughters are so lovely. The tree is great, too.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #7263476

I love trees too, Sharon, and take lots of pictures of them.

Your granddaughters are beauties. Jade looks the least of the three like a California girl, LOL.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 12, 2009
7:07 AM

Post #7266124

Yes, the two granddaughters are very tall and flat chested. That comes from my daughter but they have their father's brain so that is even better. Both straight A students. Hannah, in the middle and the tallest, is 18 an a freshman at BYU. She is very homesick but will make it. She has always lived in Las Vegas and Provo, Utah is very cold this time of year so she is freezing. Her roommate is from Boston and is teaching her how to dress in layers. We do not dress in layers in Las Vegas. It seems just like yesterday Hannah was born.

Pollyk, do not mean to hijack Pirl's thread but show us some tree trunks.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #7266869

Sharon, I will pull some out, and post. Chests are highly overrated, believe you me. I would much prefer to be flat chested, especially when it comes to gardening.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 12, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #7266900

Well, living in Las Vegas is like WOW. We do not down on the strip but we do see these young ladies around our part of town shopping. Their implants just keep getting bigger and bigger. And you are right. Both granddaughters are straight A students and that will get them farther in live. Another Santa Barbara, CA trunk.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #7267021

My latest hobby is watching a movie w/ DD and keeping score as to who is natueral and who is fake.
Poor women cant gat away fron it.
Polly your right about gardening. I'm investing in a sports bra for next year.
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #7286926

Wow! Here it finally is, and wouldn't you know I have it sideways. This is the piece with the woodpecker holes. There's another on the back side but I couldn't get a picture showing both. Now I'm going to try to get the stumps up too! I don't have any intention of trying to grow something in it, but I was thinking of around and even up it although I don't want anything so thick it would hide it altogether. Or maybe I should try to put it down as though it had fallen...any opinions?

Willow

This message was edited Nov 18, 2009 2:14 PM

Thumbnail by willowwind

willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #7287044

Here is the upright stump. I think it will be fairly easy to fill the center and plant, but I'm not well versed in what to fill with and what will grow well in this situation. This is a shady but fairly breezy spot. I'd love any ideas.

Willow

Thumbnail by willowwind

willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #7287111

OK, last log. This one sits near the upright one. I had thought of filling the center with some planting mix of somesort and then planting something fairly hardy into each end to spill out onto the ground. Probably some type of ground cover. I'd love any creative ideas.

Willow

Thumbnail by willowwind

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #7287232

Ohhhhhhhhh
What beautiful containers
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #7287244

Here is a picture of the two logs as they are lying right now. I need to work with the wood where it is as I am still on crutches until next year and can't move big things around too well. DH could do it but seems to disappear quickly when I start getting that "new project" look in my eye, and he honestly has had to take on alot more now while I can't. This edges our driveway on the barn side, and has a fire ring where we burn things but also have our hot dog roasts and family bonfires, so I would like to get it looking nicer. I would like to put, probably vinca minor, here as there are two old elm trees on either side and that's about all that grows well under them. I could easily put an assortment of pots with flowers into the vinca around the logs though and add some color. You can kind of see the enormous pile of ice storm wood we still have to use in our bonfires. Hopefully the ice will stay away this winter and we can start catching up.

Willow

Thumbnail by willowwind

willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #7287253

Thanks ge...how would you use them. I'm really open to ideas, and with the whole winter to plan can play with different thoughts.

Willow
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 18, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #7287289

Those are great. The one looks like if you leveled it by digging it into the ground, you could make it a chair. I love the one laying on it's side. I see moss, Australian violets, something that would climb, creep into the many crevices but not completely fill the center. I bet all the experts on here have great ideas..
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #7287408

What terrific pieces! The woodpecker one will be used as a bird house, right? That would be stunning with or without a clematis or two climbing up there.

I see what Sharon means by the chair look to the third piece. I'm sure I've seen chairs planted with sedums/hens and chicks before. I'll look around and try to find some ideas for you.

The log type piece could possibly be used as a bench for some bonfires. Not to burn the piece - just for sitting. Plants coming out the ends would be wonderful.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #7287445

I saw annuas and sedums in the "chair"
Maybe a impatien too.
OR coleus
I wouldnt hide it in the garden.
The form is so dramatic. Maybe it could be placed at the front along the outside of a curve so it really stands out

This message was edited Nov 18, 2009 5:27 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #7287615

Planting in logs:
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheets/Gardening-Tips-Books-Techniques-and-Tools/Planting-in-Logs/2401

Here's a typical chair with a planted seat but yours is so much prettier.
http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/5091719/DSCF0002-main_Full.jpg

A variety of mosses might look very nice for the seat portion.

Here are the instructions if you want them:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/5091719/DSCF0002-main_Full.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ehow.com/how_5091736_grow-garden-natural-retreat-yard.html&usg=__-VPhkoNirZyCR1jT7KvQKeXh1HQ=&h=450&w=600&sz=84&hl=en&start=47&um=1&tbnid=RHwYHE_A2VLL8M:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dplanting%2Bchairs%2Bwith%2Bflowers%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D40%26um%3D1

I'll keep looking for the one I saw.
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2009
4:39 AM

Post #7288638

Thanks so much for the ideas and links. I love the Aussie pictures! What really unique pieces of wood. I agree the "chair" could be planted with the same technique as a real one. We have been using the sideways log as a seat which is why it no longer has bark. I really appreciate your thoughts and encouragement.

Willow

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2009
9:26 AM

Post #7289009

Its going to look great.
I might have to follow the branch and leaf pick up guys in town
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2009
1:42 PM

Post #7289286

Uh oh! Jo Ann the stalker strikes again.

Still haven't found what I was looking for regarding the chair piece but I'll keep looking. It would be lovely with a moss seat and back cushion along with arm rests.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #7291068

Pirl, I loved and voted for that Clematis picture in the photo contest. It is so beautiful.

Willowwind, those are going to be beautiful planters. You folks are giving me some really good ideas.

I have this metal sculpture sitting on a log section in the garden to raise it. It really helps break up this sea of green when nothing is blooming. But, I'm not happy with that much bare log showing. Maybe I could hollow some of it out and plant annuals in it. Does anyone have an idea of how to do that? Maybe it would be easier to use some power tool to cut a section out of it. Right now it's got all kinds of Wood Ears growing on it.

Thumbnail by stormyla

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #7291388

Thanks!

You could chisel out some of the wood but be sure to wear protective eye wear. If it's too tedious you could drill holes and then drill out what you don't want. How tall is the piece?
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #7291502

stormyla I love your metal sculpture. It looks like a combination of cool wind and water lifting through your plants. A chisel is what first came to my mind too. What kind of wood is it? Didn't the indians actually set hot coals on a log they wanted to hollow out for a canoe, and let the fire burn down into the wood so it was easier to hollow out? Seems like I remember some sort of technique like that...or I could have just made it up, nor sure. It would be very pretty to plant things in beside the sculpture.

Willow
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #7291523

I love that sculpture, too. Very different. How about some hens and chicks around it at the base of the sculpture. You wouldn't need to do much to get them to grow there.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #7291653

Thanks, Everyone. The log is about 18" tall.The sculpture is about 3' tall.

I like that idea of burning into it. I don't know what kind of wood it is. I found it along a street sitting on top of a sewar grate. It was on my way to work. You should have seen me out there in a dress and high heels trying to lift the thing! I couldn't even turn it over to roll it down the street!! Had to call DSO, also on his way to work. He was not very happy, but came back & helped me.

I'm reading a book about a city detective married to an FBI agent. She wants to spend a weekend at a B&B on Long Island. He hates B&B's, but says, OK. He explains that he'd rather face a team of terrorists armed with assault rifles than one PO'd wife!!! Some men are wise

Willowwind, that's exactly what I get from that sculpture too, water and wind, the elements. But the azure blue also reminds me of summer tropical waters.

Polly, I hadn't thought of Hen's and chicks as I wanted to add color. I know they come in purple and red, but I wanted a color that won't be eclipsed by the azure. I've had a penchant to try that Love Lies Bleeding, but I've never seen it in a garden, so I don't know it's growth habit. Something cascading is what I have in mind. There's always Purple and white or fuschia fragrant Petunias.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 20, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #7293811

Stormyla,

I love your sculpture!!!!

I have love lies bleeding. I'd seen it some place here on Dave's and wanted it desperately. I finally found it in 4" pots at a nursery I don't frequent very often. Planted it and was amazed at how fast and tall it grew. It would cover your sculpture in no time if you got the same variety that I have. There may be a more low growing one that I don't know about. Here's mine. This photo is when it was fairly well behaved. It gets about 3 1/2 to 4' tall.

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #7294011

Thanks, Unique Treasures. I was afraid that might be the case. Oh well, I have all winter to decide what to plant there. The important thing is to hone my Indian Canoe Building skills!!

No, you didn't make it up, Willowwind. I remember seeing a write up on it at an Indian Reservation that I visited. Sycamore was their favorite tree in my area. Here's one that would make a fine canoe.

Thumbnail by stormyla

willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #7294374

Wow! That's a dandy. You could sure make one whopping big canoe out of that...kind of like the new cruise ship that's in the news! Is your area sunny or shady? I could see daylilies and hosta so thought it might have some shade but wasn't sure. Some of the impatiens have a little more weeping habit, or even a tuberous begonia or lobelia could give you some color if you have shade. Petunias, alyssum and portulaca can all be a bit more weeping and take sun. I'll bet you could even tuck in the love lies bleeding at the side of the stump and have it grow up and around the base of the sculpture. You'll have to show pictures of how the hollowing progresses.

Pirl, I meant to say thank you for getting me in touch with NEIL. He was able to solve my problem and I'm so delighted. Thank you, thank you for your good help.

Willow
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 21, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #7294381

Stormyla, that tree is gorgeous, but I would love to get a hold of it with a couple tree climbers and trim off the bottom branch and clean it up. Then it would be magnificent. I bet if typed into Google, how to do whatever you want to do, they always have the answer. Every time I do it, I come off the computer with, "Google is Amazing".
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 21, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #7294530

I was thinking earlier also that a chenile plant would give it some bold color that would drape. I was looking for a photo of it and ran across some pretty coleus containers I had a few years ago and thought coleus would be perfect there. You could pinch them to keep them the size you want them and plant the cuttings elsewhere to add some pizzaz in other places also. They wouldn't be so great at this time of year, but in the summer time, with that sculpture there and the kaleidoscope of colors in the coleus it would be beautiful!

That is a magnificent tree!

Janet

This message was edited Nov 20, 2009 7:41 PM

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #7294641

Thank you everyone. SKwinter, that's not my tree! LOL I'll pass your trimming suggestion on to the owner. It is a magnificent specimen.

Willowwind, that part of the bed has the lightest part of the canopy. I get more sun there than anywhere. Dayliles bloom wonderfully in 3/4's of my shady beds, so do many other sun lovers. I think it may be too sunny there for coleus. But it might not be sunny enough for Petunias. The first thought that came to me was Purple Petunias with white LLB and a touch of something coral. Let me get started on the burning and I'll worry about the plants later.

Thank you all for such wonderful suggestions!!!!!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2009
10:56 AM

Post #7295608

stunner
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 21, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #7296198

The more I think about this, the more I think Polly may be right. The purpose of the log is to raise the sculpture so that it can be fully seen when the foliage grows tall. If I make a really showy planting, it might take away from the beauty of the sculpture. I may explore the Hens & Chicks.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #7296756

Maybe some of those smokey purple ones? PSSSSSSSSSST, we need a co-op for those.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #7296781

a co-op for smoky purple hens and chicks?
Polly?
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #7296820

A co-op for hens and chicks, succulents and semps. They had one a while ago with Mountaincrest and the flats looked fabulous.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5011506

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5011535

Sorry for the shorthand Jo Ann. Mary and I had already talked about this, and I didn't stop to think I would be confusing others. I get confused enough myself without doing that.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #7297701

Its a goodidea for a co-op though
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 22, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #7297733

Pssssssssst Polly, I'm waiting to hear back from her. I wrote again yesterday.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #7297876

Yay!

I think it would be a great co-op. I would like a ton of them. I may just buy three flats myself, if I have to.

They're a nice ground cover Jo Ann. I have them with my bearded irises. They can take more water than i origionally thought.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2009
9:29 AM

Post #7298898

I like them in borders
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #7299186

Yes, me too.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #7316386

Nice thread Pirl, I have been a driftwood collector for years. I also bring home unusual shape branches and hollow logs for planting. In 1999 we happened to be vacationing in the Outer Banks N.C. during hurricane Dennis. After the storm Ric and the boys took our small 14ft boat out in Manns Harbor they came back loaded with driftwood. The boat was riding low in the water from the weight and the guys barely had a spot to stand in. One of the pieces was so large that they towed it in. Luckily our son in law had come down in his truck or we would never have gotten the load home. We kept the largest piece for ourselves and quite a few of the smaller pieces. The rest several large pieces were given away to friends and family.
Here is the largest piece which was towed to shore. It is 8ft long and 5ft high and 21/2 ft wide. We have it standing up in the yard as a natural sculpture.
Ric's comment "If anyone had seen us come in they would have thought we were crazy"

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #7316407

This piece of wood was destined for the wood stove. Hard to see in this pic but it has a very nice curve to it. It was just the right size and shape to be used as a border for a small corner bed near the patio. This summer it was just laying there but I think I may sink it in the ground just a few inches next year.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #7316411

Holly, The whole time your computer was broken, I kept thinking you should post your photo of that big piece here. It really looks wonderful in your garden and, when seen in person, the size is staggering.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 28, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #7316567

Oh, It is sooooooo nice to have the computer back. I only have about 1/3 of my pic downloaded and Ric is slowly working on organizing them. I was lucky that to have a few driftwood pic in this first batch of pictures. I have several other pictures of driftwood and branches to post later when we get more of the pictures downloaded.
Pirl, My son Jamie just gave me the idea last month of using some of the small pieces of driftwood to make picture frames. Much like that mirror frame. I have a watercolor that we picked up in the Bahamas that needs framing and I thought that would be a good project. I'll post a pic of it when I get it done. Not sure when that will be.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 28, 2009
6:41 PM

Post #7316694

HollyAnn, you better put a guard by the large piece standing. That is absolutely outstanding. If Pirl and I were there we would have understood what you were doing but the majority of the population, excluding DGers, would not have a clue. They would walk right by your magnificent piece and not even see it. I cannot wait for your other photos. Thanks for sharing. This is not driftwood but a pillar under a wharf near LaJolla, Ca. Many pillars were wrapped in canvas. I understand it was done to protect the pillars. Well God did his thing and this is what they look like after two years. There again, I was standing there in total amazement and everyone else was just walking by.

willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7316696

Holly, I love your big piece of driftwood. It is absolutely a perfect sculpture all on its own. I also like the way you used the wood to edge the bed. I just ran across an enormous old cottonwood the other day, but didn't have my camera. I'm going back for pictures and maybe I'll find some good windfalls with it. I'll have to post the pics now that I've finally gotten that operation figured out. I'll be looking forward to seeing your picture frame. My daughter is quite an artist and I would love to make some unique frames for some of her nature work.

Willow
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 28, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #7316699

This a group photo.

willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #7316706

skwinter, I was typing when your pictures posted so didn't see them 'til just now. What fabulous colors. When I first looked at the small pictures I thought it was a piece of wood on fire. God does the most amazing canvases of all! You're absolutely right, most people would walk by and never see that at all. I'm really glad you were the one who caught it and could share.

Willow
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 28, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #7316724

Willow, I could not determine where the red and orange came from. I studied for some time and then spotted a very large nut and bolt above on the pier that was very rusted and bleeding on to the canvas.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #7316729

skwinter those posts are beautiful.
I is amazing how unaware many people are.
I dont understand anyone not even noting the passing of the seasons
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 28, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #7316744

Or the beautiful song bird just singing his heart out. Or just a little bird watching you from the tree. I always stop and talk to the bird. I can assure my neighbors think I am a little batty.
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 28, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #7317046

I'm sooooo glad to hear of someone else doing that. I have regular conversations with my birds, and I do think they quite understand a good bit of the time.

Willow
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #7317172

Ultra fantastic driftwood Holly! The big piece would command a very hefty price and the border piece is ideal. I also have a curved border piece in one garden to help lead the eye.

We were back gathering driftwood for the mirror project a few weeks ago and came home with bags filled with it. Anything not used can be kindling unless I find another project. You've given me an idea to frame the art work we bought in the Bahamas so it may end up that we'll make more beach trips as we did the day before Thanksgiving.

We found two more pieces but we'd need a crane and a huge flatbed to get them home so they'll remain at the beach for someone else to consider for their gardens.

Sharon - what wonderful photos of the pillars and such great colors, too.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 28, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #7317179

Maybe all of the wind last night and tonight will show more of this driftwood. It's just too large for the truck.

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #7317320

I knew the truck would come in handy.
Those are nice
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #7317432

Originally the large piece was laying down and I was trying to decide if I was going to turn it into a large coffee table with a glass top and then one day we stood it up and I said this is what I want. We have moved it around the yard from spot to spot but always in the back where I can see it from my windows.
skwinter, Very interesting pics I especially love the group shot. I can't remember ever seeing pillars covered with canvas like that. Wonder if it keeps the barnacles from attaching?
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 29, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #7317500

I really do not know why but they are beautiful. They were aboutm4 miles down the beach from the condo. I had to hike back and get my camera. That was not easy but I was afraid it might not be there the next morning. I got my work out that morning. I am really pleased you enjoyed them.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #7317528

The photos were well worth the hike, Sharon.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #7317592

Just ran into this thread and decided to read through it. Very nice pieces of driftwood,sculpture and flowers planting.

Just had to say HI to willowwind and wonder how she got her name. I picked it for me because of 'Wind in the Willows' which I read as a child. Now I'm 71. Willowwind2

willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #7317702

How funny! I also picked mine from that wonderful book, many years ago. When I very first got adventerous enough to get on some websites, coached by my kids, I discovered I had to come up with a name. I was sitting by my bookcase and the first thing that caught my eye was that book. I didn't want to use Frog or Toad so Willowwind came to me next. We also had willows growing by the pond so it seemed to fit where I come from. We now even have a big, white percheron named Willow. Here's her picture(rather dark) getting a kiss from my granddaughter. This Willow is bigger than both of us put together. LOL Great minds must follow the same lines!!! :) It's so nice to meet you.

Willow

Thumbnail by willowwind

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #7317714

She's a beauty!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #7317715

Beautiful horse. I had horses when I was young. Had a 4-H horseclub.
Nice to meet you also. I was born in Indiana. Lived in Carlisle. Moved out here in '41.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #7317760

What a gorgeous photo of your grandchild and the horse!
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #7317845

I just knew that today's adventure was going to yield something great!

Thumbnail by stormyla

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #7317856

Magnificent. Where was that and what is the name of the trees?
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #7317860

I've been driving down this road for almost 40 years and there has always been a chain & a "Do not enter" sign across here. Yesterday, I noticed that it wasn't there and decided that today I would check it out.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #7317868

I'd always noticed that there was a pretty large herd of white tailed deer roaming back there. It's about 4 miles off of the back side of Valley Forge National Park. There are several mysterious entrances to old large estates back there. One of them is John James Audubon's Mill Grove. None of the others are open to the public, including that of his father in law "Flatlands".

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #7317878

These berries intrigued me and then I noticed these stone slabs across the stream. Hmmm, looked like they were made to let a carriage cross.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #7317886

Passed lots of this stuff.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #7317889

Then I started seeing these.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #7317894

Here's the trunk of that one.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #7317897

Coming around the bend...

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #7317902

I could not believe the state of disrepair of this magnificent structure.

Thumbnail by stormyla

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 29, 2009
4:12 AM

Post #7317903

Oh Ev Vey.. Probably spelled wrong but you know what I mean. I was Jewish is one life, just not this one. Now I am English, Indian. Welsh and whatever. If I was a dog my pedigree would state mongrel. I worked for Chase Manhattan for over 30 years. I was chased all over the world. You guessed who was the chaser. I never got caught...Smart girl. I would see them, married, coming and just follow behind them around the room. At the end of the conference they would say, "I have not seen you all week". I would answer, "I was just so busy, Sorry." Kept my job for over 30 years. My mother did not raise a dumb girl...LOL. Actually she did, I learned all my tactic from working for an advertising agency for the strip hotels for two years. I learned very quickly. Believe it or not, one week was enough for the girl from the sticks to figure out that all the pretty boys spoke with forked. I was so fascinated with this gorgeous boy that told me everything a young women would want to hear. Well the next day, he was at the next desk talking to another secretary the same way because he wanted to see someone else in the agency. All he wanted was to get in to see my boss. The light went on an on, an on. I was very young, 22, but I never forgot that lesson.. I, still to this date, could not believe he was talking to her the same way he talked to me at the next desk the next day. My poor husband has paid for that for over 35 year. LOL...
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #7317908

I was imagining the parties once held under this portico.

Thumbnail by stormyla

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 29, 2009
4:14 AM

Post #7317910

stormyla, that is so sad. Is that house in the condition it could be rehabbed?
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:15 AM

Post #7317911

sk, you are truly a hoot!
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:18 AM

Post #7317915

Maybe, it would surely take some doing. Apparently it was once called "Walnut Hill". Can you believe that the Boxwood Hedge is still living?

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #7317917

Look how big it once was.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #7317918

Further round the bend at look what is there.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:23 AM

Post #7317926

It's bigger and in better shape than the house, completely made out of Pennsylvania field stone.

Thumbnail by stormyla

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 29, 2009
4:23 AM

Post #7317929

I am not a hoot. I am a quick footed blond female that was quick on my feet, years ago. Remember I was raised in Las Vegas so New York was amateur land...End of story ...The names have been changed to help the innocent. Not a LOL...
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:26 AM

Post #7317932

The sign says it's under management by the Fed who is trying to restore it as it is the biggest known stone barn in the county, possibly the state.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #7317937

I kept walking...

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #7317939

sk, We Philadelphians are slower than New Yorkers.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:33 AM

Post #7317945

This is the most magnificent Sycamore I have ever seen.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #7317948

Can you believe the size of these limbs?

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #7317951

This is a knot on one of the limbs.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:38 AM

Post #7317953

I'm so happy it was not pruned.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #7317956

If the Fed wasn't involved, I'd chop this junk off.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:43 AM

Post #7317959

None of the trees around it stands a chance. There are a number of them split in half from the weight of these limbs.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #7317962

I personnaly don't think this somewhat restored structure is safe from it.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:46 AM

Post #7317965

Here's it's trunk.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #7317971

Don't know what this building was, the fed must be using it for offices. There's an old wild Rhodo off to the side. The fieldstone is starting to come through.

Thumbnail by stormyla

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:54 AM

Post #7317975

If you see a "Do not Enter" sign, don't wait 40 years to check it out!! Sorry, Pirl. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Thumbnail by stormyla

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
10:39 AM

Post #7318207

Stay in touch with the property, see how progress goes with restoration.
These are great photos.
I think the sycamore knot qualifies as a driftwood object so no pirating as far as I can see.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #7318328

Sorry to drift from the subject LOL
I just couldnt decide where this project belonged.
My garden hose guides are made of rebar( dangerous and ugly)
I have been working with fused grocery bags and all things plastic.
I have made bags mostly but treid some cone shapes for trees.
I modified them to cover the rebars and made plastic guides for the hose.

Thumbnail by ge1836

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #7318376

Stormy what an adventure. Those pics are great. The size of that tree is truly impressive. What beautiful old buildings.
ge, those hose guards look like party hats leading us to the party. LOL
I will have to search fused grocery bags. I don't know anything about that craft.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #7318389

When I saw that huge sycamore tree, I was reminded of the song we used to sing when I was a child...

Zacchaeus was a wee little man

Zacchaeus was a wee little man, and a wee little man was he.
He climbed up in a sycamore tree, for the Lord he wanted to see.
And as the Savior passed him by, He looked up in the tree,
And he said, "Zacchaeus, you come down from there;
For I'm going to your house today, for I'm going to your house today"

Zacchaeus came down from that tree, as happy as he could be,
He gave his money to the poor, and said: "What a better man I'll be."
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #7318401

stormy - you're welcome to hijack anytime with photos as you've posted. Loved the sycamore, of course! I think the small building may have been a caretaker's cottage. There were many huge estates, mostly in Nassau County (twenty minutes to NYC), for the very wealthy people of the 20's when the area was called The Gold Coast. I've seen many of them on Decorator's Showcase tours but none had a barn like the one you showed us.

The barn is magnificent. It deserves saving!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009

Post #7318691

This piece hangs in the stairway to the second floor right next to the front door. It is not quite 3ft long and although rather plain I love the lines. It hangs over the coat rack that Ric made for me several years ago. The coat rack is made from oak boards that use to line of the horse stalls and the coat hooks were used to hang the bridles from.
BTW. Those are all hand painted ceramics that I made years ago.

This message was edited Nov 29, 2009 11:40 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #7318719

Here is my Bahamanian watercolor. I just laid a few pieces around the edge to get an idea of what it will look like. I plan on matting it with a woven mat maybe something grassy or a material like burlap. Then a plain wood frame (maybe Ric will make that) and then add the drift wood. I have a lot of small driftwood in 5 gallon buckets for craft projects like mobiles and Ric reminded me that there is a wheelbarrow full down in the barn that came home from the beach on our last trip.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #7318725

Really special rack Holly
The painting is great.It wouls seem assembling driftwood for a frame is like working a jugsaw puzzle.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2009
6:03 PM

Post #7318861

That is a lovely shaped piece of driftwood above the coat rack, Holly, and your ceramic pieces are great as is Ric's work.

I agree with Jo Ann that it will be like a jigsaw puzzle but great project for a grey winter day...or two or three.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #7319237

What an adventure to be able to explore that old estate. Beautiful trees. Gave me goose-bumps. I love, love, love old houses of all kinds. This was really a treat to see. And what beautiful country where you live.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #7319301

Ge, I love your hose guides. They look very festive and will be especially appreciated this coming drab winter. Hose guides drive me nuts. I tried 4 types, before settling on one and now don't have enough.

Holly, I love your driftwood and ceramics. I need a big ceramic turkey. I had one before, but sold it when I lived in the high rise. Not enough room there for so much "stuff".

I imagine you will spend a lot of time sorting your driftwood for that painting. I think it's really neat when people make great frames to compliment art work. I once had a really nice octagonal painting frame made out of barn wood. But every time I dusted it, it gave me hand splinters, so I got rid of it.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #7319341

Stormy, You don't dust picture frames made from barn wood. You just let the dust pile up for a more authentic look. LOL
Josh and Jen made several very nice rustic frames from the old grey sawmill oak boards that had at one time been the old chicken house we still have some of those boards stored for future projects.
Here are a few more pieces some of them were used in the frame picture. The big piece is pretty interesting it is about 18 in. X 12 in. X 12 in. I've been thinking about polishing it with tongue oil and seeing what it looks like.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #7319348

Oops,

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #7319365

UniqueTreasures, I like your song.

Polly, I've wanted to see those estates in Suffolk County. I've seen some of the ones on the Hudson, but haven't seen any of the beach ones on Long Island. I'd really like to see them in the winter and fall as it wouldn't be so crowded. I remember touring the ones in Newport in August and the lines were terrible.

There are barns on all of these, because most of the barns were added in the 1840's, the era of the Gentlemen Agrarians. It was the time of scientific farming, practised by educated wealthy folks of other professions, who were compelled to carry on the family tradition of farming. Each of the owners of these estates were several generations of lawyers, judges, legislators, industrialists, scientists and nation builders. I can remember these lands all being actively farmed as recently as 10 years ago. A lot of the fields were rented out to other farmers. Even parts of the main section of VF Park were still farmed, but not anymore, other than to grow straw and hay for the deer.

Willowwind, Thank you. The East Coast of the US has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. We are so lucky to live here. Your part of the world is pretty spectacular too. Ours is just on a much smaller, gentler scale.

I found this old painting of the estate on the web this morning. Seems all of our forefathers were enamored of the Greek Revival style. If the British hadn't captured Philadelphia, the Capitol would probably still be here and most of our city would probably be done over in this style. It's interesting that the part of the house that is still standing is the oldest stone farm house portion, before the addition of all of the grand embellishments.

http://www.twofrog.com/walnuthill.html
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
9:43 PM

Post #7319370

Holly, Forgive me, I can't stand dust!! That neat piece in the right foreground would be great with some of those parasite plants growing on it, or used as a display for some tiny nice collectibles.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #7319404

I love all the posts here about the ruins and the wood.
Many of those pieces look like diseased bones.
verry interesting
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #7319423

If we ever get the Greenhouse built I'm sure I'll be able to use some of them in there I like the idea of using them for parasite plants.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #7319552

I love all the driftwood pieces, Holly! The more you stare at them the more you think of uses for them. I do that much too often as I'm collecting pieces at one of our beaches.

Bought a new Dust Buster...with a cord and several attachments and it would be ideal for dusting that frame! I wanted it for the sunroom/porch since there are always falling leaves from all the plants in there and it's great...much better than the battery operated type we have in the mud room.

My favorite estate is Coe Hall - all English Tudor and reminds me of my former home but on quite a different scale! http://www.plantingfields.org/ourstory/StoryMain.cfm
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #7319586

It must have been the day for tree adventures Stormy. After church we went out to the old cottonwood I'd seen the other day and tromped around taking pictures and picking up interesting pieces of wood. I found several to lay along the edges of flower beds I think. I'll have to get them cleaned up a little and have a better look.

What an absolutely great exploration you must have had with that old mansion. It's fascinating to hear the history that goes with it. The painting of it in earlier days really shows the grandeur you can still probably feel when around it. Those trees are enormous...much bigger than mine, but for Kansas this one is quite huge. It surprized us as we first drove past to see the east side of it completely hollowed out. It's probably still 40' -50' tall, and still full of buds up in the top, but has at least a 3' diameter hole in the base that goes to the ground. A bear could live in there except we don't have them in Kansas. My granddaughters thought it was fun to pose in, though the oldest was a little worried about what might come out of it. The 3 yr. old, shown below wasn't worried a bit.

Holly, your driftwood and ceramics are beautiful together, and that painting will look wonderful with that framing. Be sure you post pictures when it's done. Isn't it amazing what the Lord leaves around right at our fingertips if we just take time to see the beauty!

Willow

Thumbnail by willowwind

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #7319614

What a huge tree and what a gaping hole! I love how three year old children aren't afraid of much. She's adorable.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #7319631

Willow, What a wonderful photo!! I don't think I've ever seen a Cottonwood Tree in person. Don't believe they are native here. My father's family farm on the praries of southwestern Ks. There are probably not more than 50 trees in a hundred square miles there. When they visit here, they feel like they've entered another world.

There is a cypress swamp about 35 miles from here just across the Delaware state line. I bet that would be a great place to look for driftwood. There is often quite a bit in our creeks and rivers. I have been wanting to get some ever since I saw this arrangement at the Burpee/Fordhook Farm.

Pirl, Thanks for that link. I will have to study it.

Thumbnail by stormyla

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 29, 2009
11:42 PM

Post #7319658

It appears from the photo that the sections of bark are protecting something. Do you have any idea of what it might be?

I use a lot of big bark pieces for clematis, roses (for protection of the bud unions) and just for decorative purposes. Sometimes I even use good looking or interesting logs to set off a photo.

Thumbnail by pirl

willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #7319667

Here's the west side and you can see from here the long branch that comes down and reaches clear to the other side of the little creek it's by. I had a hard time keeping my daughter from trying to climb across on it, as I would have probably tried some years ago. There was a lot of wood washed up along the fence from flood waters that had crossed here and it yielded a few interesting pieces.

Thumbnail by willowwind

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #7319684

That tree has very nice bark. Pirl, You are full of good ideas.
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #7319734

It takes me so long to upload photos on my old dial-up connection that I miss conversation and sound disjointed, but it's fun to see what's gone on while I'm tied up. Beautiful lily pirl. I'm hoping to use the wood pieces I picked up today kind of like that, to edge a bed. I hadn't thought of it but I bet they would be good protection for things growing up alongside.

Stormy, I haven't been east for many years, but yes, I do remember how many more trees there were...and definitely bigger older ones. Actually, here in central Kansas we do have fairly heavily planted areas and in eastern Kansas where I went to college there are many beautiful wooded areas. I lived out in western Kansas for many years though and really worked to get trees growing. People don't even think of planting them out there sometimes which just seemed bizarre to me, but they probably thought I was nuts running around planting all these sticks in the ground. The cottonwoods are native to the whole state though and can be beautiful big old things. They're pretty fragile when they get old though, so you don't want one hanging over your house. Every late spring we go through 1-2 weeks of cotton, as the seed pods break open and tiny fluffy bits blow on the wind all around. It's messy at times, but actually like late spring snow. The trees are related to Aspen and have the same shiny leaves with a square stalk that almost sparkle when the breeze blows through them, and a beautiful, butter-yellow fall foliage color. Most of us here really do love them.

Willow
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #7319763

And I love the smell of cottonwoods on the first warm days in spring. We have them native here also.

DH and I drove to Cape Cod in '94 in October. It was amazing from Missouri on. Just like someone threw a quilt over the whole country. All the color. We drove down through Missouri and then thur St. Louis up to Indiana to see my aunt and then on to Niagra. We took Hwy, 20 thru New York state and stopped in Cooperstown. All over Cape Cod, clear out to Provincetown. Loved it all. I think we went right thru the middle of Kansas also. Desiduous? trees are much nicer to live under than conifers. This last spring when the firs bloomed we were covered in yellow pollen for weeks.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #7319781

Willow, Your daughter is just beautiful and a daredevil to boot.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 30, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #7319889

Wow you guys. This has been a wonderful relaxing thread to enjoy on a cloudy day. Thank you so much. I will have to ask around where we might have drift wood here in the southwest. Probably Utah and Idaho. Thank you so much for sharing I do not think there is anythng more beautiful than a great tree dead or alive.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #7319928

Willowind, That tree is also hugh. Do you know how old it is? Your granddaughter looks so tiny in it. Did you have to lift her up? I looked it up and Cottonwoods are not native here. There was a, now extinct native, the swamp cottonwood, different than your eastern cottonwood. We have 138 native species of trees.

Willowwind2, Last month I was reading about the native trees of Washington. If everything that I read is correct, you have a very small number of native tree species, like 31. Seems very unlikely. Your hugh conifers are magnificent and your photo is lovely.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #7319965

Super tree, WW! It looks as though the limb that reaches left goes through two vertical pieces of the young tree next to it.

WW2 - we go to Cape Cod every June just to relax after the madness of spring planting of annuals, vegetables, and containers. We love Provincetown but we stay in North Eastham on the Outer Cape. The beaches are works of art even if they don't have driftwood!

Here we have conifers and deciduous trees and it's nice to have both. The pines look so wonderful with a light blanket of snow and I use the pine cones for mulch for our hydrangeas. That must have been a lovely car trip!

stormyla - the little pieces make great landmarks for where specific plants are located.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #7319985

Cape Cod during pollen week, as you can see by the top of the car and the reflection of the trees on the windshield.

Thumbnail by pirl

stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #7320005

OK, Pirl, Now you'll have me collecting driftwood at the beach. Why not, it will be a nice way to entertain the kiddies I usually go with. Don't know how much driftwood there will be at Cape May in NJ. The central part of NJ has forrests that go right into the ocean like in Maine. But I never go there, although it is very beautiful. Is that gorgeous photo from Southhold or Cape Cod?

I remember reading all of the descriptions of the homes on Oyster Bay in The Great Gatsby.

Cappuccino was the first Asiatic lily that I grew. It looks beautiful against the wood. You ladies would surely chastise me if you saw the 6' long sections of bark that I gave away. They were wide enough and had enough wood left on them to make benches.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #7320074

Ack! Why did you give it away? That's painful!

The beach and the car are both from Cape Cod.

Some of those homes were more than splendid. I always wondered what they did on the hot and still days of summer when there wasn't even a breeze. Visiting the Gould-Guggenheim estate I noticed a room where the floor and walls were all marble and seating was far from the windows. I guess that was cool enough. I had chills just walking through it!

We honeymooned on Cape May and then Chincoteage...but we weren't looking for driftwood then. My how life changes!
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #7320177

I wish I knew how old the tree was or anything about it but I don't. I know there are couple of old cottonwood bases at my in-laws' farm that are about that big around and are probably around 150 to 175 years old, but that's fairly young as many trees go. Cottonwoods have a good rate of growth if they're by the water. I just haven't seen many alive at that size...especially with such a hole. We did lift Acacia up since she was in church clothes, but she is quite a monkey.

pirl, you're right, it does look like those trees are all wound around each other. Now I'll have to check it out the next time I'm over that way.

Willowwind2, isn't it funny how our memory affects perspective. I have wonderful memories of all the pines, firs and spruces in the Colorado mountains where I lived the first 4 years of my life, especially the smell. Now I miss them as we just don't grow them as well here as deciduous trees. Of course, I'm sure I have no memory, or even took notice of pollen problems like I would now as an adult.

Thanks all for a forrest full of tree thoughts this evening.

Willow
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 30, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #7320269

Cottonwoods are not allowed here in Las Vegas. Too much pollen and they go for the water. No water, they break into the sewer or water lines. We actually have many trees that are outlawed because of allergies.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2009
4:17 AM

Post #7320478

Pirl, I know a gal who hand makes furniture who lives on very modest means. I bought them for next to nothing at a flea market with her in mind.

A marble room would be great for me as I am always hot. Marble House in Newport is like that. Don't you remember the case of Sunny Von Bulow, left to die (or not) on the cold marble bathroom floor in her Newport mansion? I think all of those people were the celebrities of their era. Society folks were always in the papers and the more outlandish their spending, the more the public fascination.

I read the site on the Coe Estate. How incredible to move a 60' Beech and pay for the removal and replacement of the utility poles. Imagine having enough money and an era where you could buy influence to have the city move a road so you could have a better view of your entry way. It was almost sickening to read of such extravagance, but then it was also a testament to the american dream.

Va_Wild_Rose has had a wonderful thread on her two recent trips to Chincoteague in our MidAtlantic Forum.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055772/
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #7320549

Pirl, Thank you for that Coe Estate link. I'd like to see the gardens and especially hope they will be able to raise some more purple Beeches. I've never seen one.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2009
9:57 AM

Post #7320955

What a great thread this is.
Sonny von Bullo ahhhhh yes, as a diabetic I always refree to her when the doc wants to increase my insulin.
I still believe her money in her husbands hands is what put her into a coma for many years.
I believe she died but was in a vedg.state for many many years.
He got off and continues to enjoy the good life , unless he has died too.
Great pictures of the Chinquatege.
I used to do business in Maryland and after I was done ,would go there to chill and watch birds.
Its beautiful, hope it doesnt become overdeveloped.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #7321428

This is a most enjoyable thread
I just returned from a trip to the Keys and this was in a store.
A beautiful chair all out or drift wood.

Thumbnail by gardengus

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #7321444

THey also had this table
I think this could be done on a smaller scale with some of the pieces I have seen here on this thread.

Thumbnail by gardengus

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #7321545

The table is wonderful. The chair needs a certain decore, great for the south.
It looks like a great fine craft gallery
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #7321691

Gus, Those are wonderful. Each would need to be the focal point of the room. They would be fun to work with. The chair looks like it's color and sheen would improve with use and oilings.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7321724

THere is a lady here in Indiana who makes these great wall hangings out of driftwood , I think her wood is from the great lakes.
They are named after harbors in Michigan
It is all drift wood except the stairs.

Thumbnail by gardengus

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

November 30, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #7321738

THis one is about 5 ft long.
Sometimes I just stand and stare at all the detail.
I have collected a little bit of drift wood on and off thinking I might attempt a small one some day.

Thumbnail by gardengus

willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #7321753

Wow, Gus! Someone has incredible imagination and abilities. I wouldn't want to have to dust all the nooks and crannies on the chair, but the table wouldn't get so bad with the glass cover. Those are truly amazing. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Willow
willowwind
Moundridge, KS
(Zone 6a)

November 30, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #7321776

Gracious, I just saw the big one. I kept thinking it was like a doll house, but for boys. What little boy wouldn't have a ball playing pirates with something like that, although it would have to be carefully monitered to prevent breakage. That really is fantastic.

Willow
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 30, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #7321836

Love all of them, I remember seeing a driftwood chair years ago the seat was slung leather with a lambskin throw for extra comfort. I was very modern looking and pricey. But I have never seen anything quite like it since. That table is gorgeous. I can't even imagine the time and talent it takes to make those wall pieces.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

November 30, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #7322310

I would love the table stand without the glass. That is incredible. See what you started Pirl.
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

November 30, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #7322543

Speaking of rich people and moving roads--I live on Hood Canal and there is a resort on the water at the foot of our hill. Bill Gates has a compound down next to the resort and microsoft money from a VP or something bought the resort a couple of years ago.
The highway used to run right in front of the inn and the parking was across the road. So they moved about a 1/2 mile of it over to get the parking lot on the same side as the Inn. They had to remove part of the hill and ran dump trucks 24 hours a day for a month to get it all to a different spot. They did do wonders for the old inn, but us peons are not so welcome there any longer. ^_^
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2009
10:37 PM

Post #7322989

gardengus - what a talented woman to create such works of art!

The driftwood chairs brought back more Cape Cod memories and I'll show photos on part 2 of this thread, to be created shortly.

I agree that any young boy would have to love the adventure of the Indiana woman's artistic spirit.

Sharon - there's more to come. In view of those on dial-up I'll start Driftwood part 2 and provide the link.

WW2 - Things like that happen all too often.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 30, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #7322994

Here is Driftwood - Part 2:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1059723/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America