Photo by Melody

Tropical Zone Gardening: OT...don't miss this PBS show.

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 46, Views: 289
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #7213873

THE BOTANY OF DESIRE - GREAT BOOK BY MICHAEL POLLAN

The Botany of Desire

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 05:00:00PM
Station: KQED/Channel 9
Feed Common Name: KQED-HD
Channel Number: 9.1

Can't watch at this time? Check local listings to see when your PBS station airs the next episode of "" in the next two weeks at http://www.pbs.org/whatson/

westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

October 28, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #7217312

unfortunately our internet is too slow to watch this, though i would have loved to! i am sure the other members will be watching!
Isaac
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #7218097

I saw that in the chronicle today as well. from the quick look over, I think I might agree with what he's saying
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #7218531

Just remember though, his theories would encompass all of it, including the invasive plants that introduced by humans...mmm hmmmm
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #7218784

No...he just talks about 4 plants and how they represent 4 human desires and how they have impacted the history of the world. Just watch it!!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #7218787

It was very interesting. I was having similar discussion last weekend about how we humans seem to take ourselves out of the equation of nature, and said, our introduction of different plants including "invasive" species is part of nature. Having said that, awareness is as well.

One point I agreed with ultimately, was what one of the Canibas growers said: The plants know when the person who cared for them was gone (even though nothing in the care had changed)
My plants know when I'm gone..!
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #7218792

I am convinced my hoyas know when I am not there...I come back and they seem to be pouting...lacking lustre.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #7218793

I did, and one of the clear points was our being a part of nature, plants evolving from our need/desire/alteration and control. This applies in every facet, not just 4 plants, and not just from the miracle of it being beneficial.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #7218796

I think too often we remove ourselves from the fact that we are being manipulated by nature to it's ends.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #7219040

ARE there ends? Is there a large plan...or...is everything just evolving along with and without the manipulation of our own surroundings ? Everything working in concert (most of the time..and when it isn't, is it because we are manipulating not for the main/collective good) until it doesn't. Then bad things happen like bank closures and Little Red Fire Ants. OK...back to the drawing board...
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

October 29, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #7219170

Tuning in this evening - thanks for the heads up!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
7:05 AM

Post #7219523

I won't get into the philosophy - you all are getting too esoteric for me. LOL

BUT, the photography alone was worth it. Fabulous!

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #7219671

The question is, bad things for whom? Once again it boils down to how we categorize, interpret, manipulate.
What I'm saying is evolving along with and without the manipulation of our own surroundings, and Everything working in concert, is one and the same. When we remove ourselves from the intricate workings of nature, then we put ourselves in God status, and Nature is quick to remind us...nope, we're not even close.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

October 29, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #7220466

things in our planet aren't really evolving, things seem more to be degrading.
Isaac
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #7220697

Does 'evolve' necessary mean 'for the better' ...or simply 'changing'...?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #7220839

that's the ambiguity of it.
isn't changing a type of evolution? good, bad, changing, evolving- we are in it despite how it's perceived.
Definition:
to come forth gradually into being; develop; undergo evolution: example " The whole conversation evolved from Randy playing the Devils Advocate."

Issac, it's easy to say that when we have all this communication to bring us crap from every corner of the earth, but there are equally fascinating things occuring that just don't make good headlines, and therefore we are under exposed to the good side.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #7220869

I agree Randy!!!. Too much information too little content!!!

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #7220900

we'll continue this conversation in Kwajalein :) lol
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #7220978

YAY!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #7221037

I'm bidding for vacation now...any periods of time that aren't good for you from Jan - Jun?
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 29, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #7221581

All good...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #7221633

ok
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 30, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #7222558

I wrote that SO quickly Randy...not realizing what we were talking about!!! WOW! Have you talked to Shari about the best time to visit there??? I am at your wishes...it is ALL good/wonderful for me!!!!! YIPPPPPEEEEEE!!!!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

October 30, 2009
8:10 AM

Post #7222996

you guys have a good time, i hope to meet some of you one day...
isaac
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #7224040

LOL, a while back- They are headed mainland side I think sometime early winter/spring..have to re-check the dates.
Then she has to get us special permission to even stay there as it is military..so much to work out still.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

November 16, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #7278091

Ohhhhh!!!! I am SO looking forward to this conversation while watching a moonrise over the ocean with a tall drink in hand, and you two by my side!!!!

What may seem degradation to some, could be perceived by others as progress. What seems like "our" manipulation of the environment, may actually be Gaia having us do so...tiz a puzzlement that promises hours of contemplative mental research...

SHOULD BE FUN!!!!

Yokwe,
Shari
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

November 16, 2009
5:11 AM

Post #7278380

I am so so so excited!!!!

eh, Randy...when are we going?

eh, Shari...are you sure you are ready????/

Carol
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

November 16, 2009
6:04 AM

Post #7278575

Carol, I will have just spent a month or more visiting with family and having a new granddaughter...I will be MORE than ready!!!!!

Yokwe,
Shari
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #7279830

I have the last week of May, and the first week of June...sometime in there. Thought I would stay with you a couple days first Carol.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

November 16, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #7280189

Sounds wonderful to me...when I get back I will work on reservations...!!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #7282523

Reservations? for inter Island?
Since I'm going on standby pass, thought I would take you on one too...it's not free, but substantially less expensive..and you ride at my seniority. But it's up to you, I'm not sure how the island hopper runs as far as being full all the time or not. I have to check on it, but I'm thinking the island hopper goes from HNL, if not then GUM..that would be challenging if it's only from GUM as those flights HNL-GUM are full most of the time. I'll check it out today.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 18, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #7287405

Okay..yes the island hopper does leave from HNL. Right now it is only 3 days a week,
Mon, Wed, Fri -- We are lucky as there is only one stop on the way to KWA...in Majuro.
I know you know we call it the island hopper for it's route Honolulu-Majuro-Kwajalein-Korsae-Pohnpei-Truk-Guam. (airport names)
Right now the sked is 655A arriving 1150AM...it is still 6:55 min total time. I'm already tired!
I'm assuming the schedule will be adjusted by then, either adding or decreasing flights and times...but that's what's in there right now.
As I said I have the last week of May and the first week of June. I'm not sure how full these flights go out, but imagine that may be kind of full- I just checked the price just for kicks...$1255.00 round trip...
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

November 26, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #7310534

Randy...sounds really really cool!!! Sheri should know about peak flying times... We are oing to have SOOOOOOOoooooooo much fun!!!

Let's move to Dmail before the green of envy shines thru the computer!!!

XXOO Carol
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 27, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #7313471

Envy envy envy, I've wanted to visit Kwaj for more than twenty years now---

But I'm loading myself with so much that needs me every day, plants and fish and chickens.

Post a travelogue once you do it!

Melissa --stuck on St Croix.
Braveheartsmom
Hillsborough , NC
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #7313495

I would love to hear about your travel plans too! I also hope to see lots of pics after you guys get back.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

November 27, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #7314134

OK...

Melissa...poor dear...stuck on St. Croix!!! I am excited about the possibility...there is SOOOOOOOOooooooooo much to do and see in this life before I check out!!!...

Randy...will call you when I get home...please email me your phone number...gotta chat with you, hear your lovely voice!!!

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 27, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #7314289

Actually I am amazed that I haven't moved to Thailand.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2009
1:14 PM

Post #7316068

Oh, I love Thailand too! I never felt like a foreigner there, and thought I could live there happily.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 29, 2009
11:49 AM

Post #7318247

When I got back home to St Croix, I was smiling at everyone for a couple of days, until I got too many "Are you crazy?" looks in return. It seemed so grim here for a while, until I got re-accustomed.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

November 29, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #7319074

Why are the folks in St.Croix glum?
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

November 29, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #7319098

In comparison to Thailand, "The Land of a Thousand Smiles, ANYPLACE is glum. You just cannot imagine the culture there, so gentle, and each person must smile hundreds of times every day.

They are shocked at how we Americans and Westerners display all our emotions, especially the negative ones, so freely.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 10, 2009
11:51 AM

Post #7354666

How interesting, melissa. would you say they compare to the Dutch? the Dutch are also a very friendly and gracious people. Most white South Africans are descendents from the dutch, but i do admit that not all South africans are so friendly. it depends on where you are in South africa.
yes, i am green with envy, but i am young so maybe one day yet i will meet you all. you guys have fun!
Isaac
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

December 10, 2009
12:22 PM

Post #7354715

The Dutch!! hahaha, My mother is of Dutch lineage, so I'm half Dutch, in the blood.

I decided to live on a Dutch island for a while, over the course of three years I spent fifteen months there, Bonaire, love the place! I love the people, too!

Do not get offended when I say that my impression of the Dutch in general is "grim". Yes, friendly, gracious, polite, very very subdued. Very quiet. Very nice. I learned to never try to joke with a Dutch, they would get angry!

I went to a beachie place for a dinnerburger, and there were about fifty people on one side of the round bar. I sat on the other side for my meal. I saw a couple of presents brightly wrapped. Oh! A birthday party! I wouldn't have guessed, everyone was so quiet. A bunch of Texans(or Virginians like me, for that matter) would have been guffawing and moving around and generally making 500% as much noise and movement.

Now, do not be offended, I enjoyed being in a Dutch society very much. You could often recognize Americans by their laughter. A busy cafe would be quiet except for that table over there. I have lived outside the USA most of my life, so I'm a stranger in a strange land when I visit the States.

Thailand has still, in my humble opinion, the sweetest people, society, on Earth. I was a complete stranger, and they were generous, kind and helpful when I had the slightest problem, just more so than other places I've been. Umm, Brazil, Scotland, Polynesia, Mexico, Spain, the Caribbean, Australia, umm, where else have I been? That's most of it, I'm worn out and staying home now-a-days!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #7356148

Same here- although my Dutch experience seems to be much better.
I've been to Liberia, Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone (or whatever they call it now) The Gambia, Sennegal, England, Holland, Italy, Germany, France, Australia, New Zealand, Kuwait, Japan, Thailand, Mexico and Central America- and Thailand was truly the land of Hospitality.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

December 10, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #7356553

Perhaps one must visit Thailand to experience the people and the place. I would have never been able to envision the culture.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

December 11, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #7359202

no worries, molamola. i'm not offended at all. yes, i do agree, Americans are generally more loud than Dutch or South Africans. i don't mean to offend the americans here, but generally South Africans are not soooo fond of Americans. they say they are way too gigglish and loud!! but then again, it all depends on where you are in SA. generally, the white South Africans are very hospitable, friendly, and helpful, especially in the smaller communities. one thing that is essential to the South African culture, is our braais (barbacues). its the no. 1 in our culture! usually families will have one at least each weekend with friends over. those who drink sometimes reeeaaally get a bit jolly! we don't drink alcohol, though most south africans are very fond of their beers.
oh, yes, south africans don't have much of a sense of humor either!
Isaac
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2009
9:56 PM

Post #7359749

LOL, I'll admit using the cover story of "I'm Canadian" or "West African" on some of my travels around the world because of that stigma. ...but it's definately a label that some of the quieter Americans have to live with.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America