Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Plants: OT - great PBS presentation

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 5, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 27, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #7213883

THE BOTANY OF DESIRE...by Michael Pollan

The Botany of Desire

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 05:00:00PM
Station: KQED/Channel 9
Feed Common Name: KQED-HD
Channel Number: 9.1

Can't watch at this time? Check local listings to see when your PBS station airs the next episode of "" in the next two weeks at http://www.pbs.org/whatson/

KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #7214962

From Wikipedia:

The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World is a 2001 nonfiction book by journalist Michael Pollan. This work explores the nature of domesticated plants from the dual perspective of humans and the plants themselves. Pollan presents case studies that mirror four types of human desires that are reflected in the way that we selectively grow, breed, and genetically engineer our plants. The apple reflects the desire of sweetness, the tulip beauty, marijuana intoxication, and the potato control.

The Botany of Desire

Author Michael Pollan
Language English
Publisher The Penguin Press
Followed by The Omnivore's Dilemma
Pollan narrates his own experience with each of the plants, which he then intertwines with an exploration into their social history. Each section presents an element of human domestication, or the "human bumblebee" as Pollan calls us. The stories range from the true story of Johnny Appleseed to Pollan's first-hand research with sophisticated marijuana hybrids in Amsterdam to the alarming and paradigm-shifting possibilities of genetically engineered potatoes.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #7223412

If you are a little bored with the same topics presented by your garden club or fave plant society, I recommend, no, I BEG, that you watch this program or record it for future viewing.

One of my buddies that works for the local PBS told me about it and I will be forever grateful to her for this tip. The program is so provocative and thought-inspiring, that I found myself pressing the "pause" button to think about the various ideas presented and facts I didn't know about. The program title may seem a little gimmicky, but the topic(s) certainly isn't. Wonderful program.

Carol above has provided a link to find local viewing times. thanks, C. I have taken the liberty of posting in Garden Talk Forum for additional exposure.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #7223451

it really was FABULOUS!!! i was glued to the tv all evening.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

October 30, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #7223972

The book is even more thought provolkative, I found. Especially about the Cannabis...

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

November 2, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #7234021

Here's the show on their website:
http://video.pbs.org/video/1283872815/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America