Photo by Melody

Article: Fall and Winter Gardening: Plant turnips too early!

Communities > Forums > Article: Fall and Winter Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Article: Fall and Winter GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 27, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #7214583

You did not mention turnips!!!
Just root crops like beets and - well I know you meant them too.
It is just they are my favorite, and to me that is the fall garden.
But turnips are fussy.
Plant them too early in the hot weather and they are like radishes, hot and not good!
Plant them too late and they don't have time to make good! But what is tooooo Late. I have been at this for 20 years and I still don't have this down. Some times I get lucky and I have them in November, and they are large and SWEET!!!! Which is what I want.
This year I over thought it, figured up the days and planted in the middle end of August. They are large but hot!
For now on I am going to figure maturity for about the beginning if Nov. I think that will do it????
Don't know though, all this fall gardening is like a lot of gardening -- It all depends on the weather and God!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

October 27, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #7214746

P.S.
Oh the horse manure and the digging of a deep trench was how my grandmother started her sweet potatoes in the spring!
That took me back. I enjoyed reading your article!

I remember my grandmother mixing the manure with straw or hay most of the time, but my mother said when she was very small that my grandmother would gather leaf piles in the fall, getting ready for the sweet potatoe beds in the spring.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2009 5:48 PM
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

October 29, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #7218765

liquidambar2: I don't know why I left out turnips. They certainly are a favorite here in the south. People here like the greens the best, but the eat the roots also. And a plate of greens with the little turnips boiled and served alongside is a common thing if you are invited to a country meal about this time of year.

I don't like turnips much--- but then it is very easy not to cook them properly. I like them best roasted along with sweet potatoes, carrots, and white potatoes. You can brush with molasses and butter to make them crusty.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Fall and Winter Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Timely information! melody 4 Sep 28, 2007 10:10 PM
help Podgie 7 Oct 29, 2009 2:00 AM
Veggies and Flowers in the Winter? gloriag 0 Sep 30, 2007 4:01 AM
Great information... Sharran 4 Oct 27, 2009 4:37 PM
New Eliot Coleman Book is Out gloria125 2 Oct 27, 2009 8:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America